Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Swizzle (2)

Replies

• Karkasmolenklok
    I'm afraid gotta disagree with the four-barrel thing, partially because it's already just gigantic.

Besides...never stopped the soldier.
  • Simski
    I'm afraid gotta disagree with the four-barrel thing, partially because it's already just gigantic.

Besides...never stopped the soldier.
    Yeah, not to mention that he could just make the reload animation have the Demoman stuff 2 nades in each barrel :O
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Simski wrote: »
    Yeah, not to mention that he could jst make the reload animation have the Demoman stuff 2 nades in each barrel :O
    Which would be both cool (especially if it fired both at the same time) and plausible.
  • komfyrion
    Nice-looking launcher so far. This is gonna be awesome, might even surpass the Medic set? (is this blasphemy? If so, I'm deeply sorry)
    I bow before your eternal brilliance!:thumbup:
  • pw pw pw
    Swizzle, this looks great. It's a perfect marriage of real-world grenade launchers and tf2 style. I'm looking forward to this pack even more than your medic pack.
  • Kalva
    I personally don't care too much for sight, makes it look a bit too similar to the M79 "Thumper" it's based off. Maybe give it the sight of a different launcher?
  • chickenman
    Do some silhouettes of iron sights. I like the one you have, but i feel something different from the other will make it stand out.

gdtmod_anti_tank_grenade_launcher_ironsights_arma2.jpg

gdtmod_under_barrel_grenade_launcher_sights.jpg
    SKS-M59-66A1-grenade-launcher-sight.JPG
  • tylerburrito
    Make it more creative! Wrap a Scot-textured cloth around the barrel or something, I dunno.
  • Khthon
    I agree, some vastly different iron sights would be cool
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Psyke:
    It is indeed. But would you have it any other way?

Ikimono:
    I think I'm going to keep it at just two. Four seems like it'd be a case of extreme overkill.

Simski:
    The third-person animation has him load two anyway.

komfyrion:
    People keep talking about me like I'm some sort of higher being in this thread. That's weird.

pw pw pw:
    I'm actually looking forward to it the same way. While the medic pack was fun and interesting to do, this one has a much different pace now that I'm taking the time to really nail the concepts before moving into 3D.

Kalva, Khthon:
    I'm definitely going to be using a different type of sight for this thing, probably one similar to the middle image in chickenman's post.

chickenman:
    Thanks! Those references are very helpful!

I've started doing a bit of concepting for the melee. The blown up version is for after you hit somebody, kind of like the broken bottle.
    xt6B8.jpg
  • ShadowBrain
    Wouldn't something that blows up in your hand hurt you?
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    If it hurts you, imagine how much it's going to hurt the other guy.
  • Norron
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    I have nothing to say except that the grenade on top of the stick should be a bit larger.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    chickenman wrote: »
    Do some silhouettes of iron sights. I like the one you have, but i feel something different from the other will make it stand out.

gdtmod_anti_tank_grenade_launcher_ironsights_arma2.jpg

I like the first one on the left here.
  • Benvil
    Another Swizzle pack?

JIZZ'D IN MY PANTS!

Looking great so far!

On a complety unrelated question, which I didn't get an answer on last time. You originally made The Pain Train for Pyro, right? Was you the one who decided it should go to Soldier/Demoman, or was that Valve's decision? If it was your decision, how come?
    Just wondering :P
  • Batt
    Man what the hell I've wanted a stick grenade since before the war update :I

I'd say exaggerate the size of the explosive some more, and the handle looks like he'd hold it from the middle, which might look kinda awkward. It's a great idea though.
  • Mad Mike
    Swizzle wrote: »
    If it hurts you, imagine how much it's going to hurt the other guy.

That's tha spirit, lad!
  • jgoodroad
    not the Petard I was looking for (medival invasion weapon) but the closest I am going to get the a bomb on a stick, a stickbomb.
  • Nerdlights
    Perhaps the melee should be a bit more detailed, I love the idea of a grenade on a stick, but perhaps it could be held on in some ragtag manner, it seems like the grenade shouldn't just stick. Ducttape would work perhaps, or if you want to go away from rag tag extend the metal base below the grenade to make it look as though its holding it in more. Also, for the grenade launcher I'd suggest keeping the rectangular openings at the top of your weapon, as seen in the draw up
  • nex
    Wouldn't something that blows up in your hand hurt you?
    soldier medical diagnostic

captureoal.png

so yea...grenade melee is pretty much expected stuff...keep on going Swizzle
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron:
    Done.

Karkasmolenklok:
    I like it too, but I don't know that it would read very well. I'm going to experiment, though.

Benvil:
    I made the Pain Train for the pyro because it was the only class at the time that had been updated with unlockables I could replace which also had the melee animation I was looking for. I submitted it as a soldier/demo weapon, though, and Valve used it for them. I felt it fit the soldier and demo's personalities a little better than the pyro's.

Batt:
    I've modified the handle a bit. See below.

jgoodroad:
    You could always make one yourself, couldn't you?

Nerdlights:
    I'm basing this thing on German hand grenades, so there is a real-world precedent that shows they work and you don't need duct tape to have them held together. I'd thought about just attaching a grenade to a stick, but decided it would just look weird.
    As for the rectangular openings on the rail of the grenade launcher, I'm certainly keeping them. The only reason they aren't there on the mockup is because I didn't feel that kind of detail was necessary for a simple blockout.

nex:
    Pretty much all the classes in TF2 are completely insane in one way or another, so that's not surprising.

I made the end a little bigger and thinned out the handle at the bottom. I also added some tape. Thoughts?
    RfS4G.jpg
  • Norron
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that's really all you need. I see too many people going crazy with the broken and damaged weapons when a little custom modifications like a grip is just fine.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    nex wrote: »
    soldier medical diagnostic
    ...but this is for the demoman.
  • ChromeE
    maybe the grenade would do explosive dmg at first, then low dmg until it regenerates (like the jarate/ chargin targe)
  • Contrails
    Don't know if its intentional or not, but the large shards left on the exploded version gives the impression of a weak explosion - like smaller pieces left would make it look more powerful
  • ScudzAlmighty
    I disagree, if Warner Bros were animating this back in the 50's I think it'd look exactly like this, though it does look more like it exploded out the top after being fired rather than on impact with someones head.
  • Hotdogbunker
    Swizzle wrote: »
    vcool:
    Time constraints, man. Also, I'm the most humble person I know.

That's not a very humble thing to say. :\
  • Nerdlights
    That's not a very humble thing to say. :\
    thats_the_joke.jpg
    Sorry, someone else did it and I'm very impressionable. Anyway, Swizzle, I see what youre saying and love the increase in size up top, But may I suggest wood splintering? Not heavily, mind you,but here and there
  • Mico27
    I'd really see some kind of spherish studs on that explosive on top so it can look a bit like some kind of mace, considering the bottle only breaks on crits.
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron:
    Agreed. A bit of tape, a couple of nicks and I think it's fine. I don't want it looking like the Pain Train.

DKK:
    Thanks! That's what I'm going for, so it's good to know I'm going in the right direction.

ChromeE:
    Maybe, but I'm not going to think about it too much. I'm going to make it so it breaks like the bottle and leave Valve to deal with gameplay mechanics.

Contrails:
    I'm going to have to side with Scudz on this one for a couple of reasons. First, I think it just looks cool to have big shards of metal at the end. Second, I think it'll read best if the broken bits are kept large and obvious even if it's not realistic.

Mico27:
    I've thought about adding something like that, but I don't want it to be a horribly outlandish kind of weapon. The demoman's other weapons, at least the stock ones, are actually fairly plain with clean lines, so I want to keep these things looking like the fit with the rest of his loadout.

Oh, dear. Look what I've gone and done.
    5ZXHR.jpg

These are just flat colors with some AO baked in, so don't judge the textures too harshly yet. There's a pretty obvious clipping issue I need to take care of where his hand meets the handle, but it shouldn't be a problem.
    MrFbb.jpg
  • Naso
    Looks pretty dam good to me, nice job. Are you going to make an exploded one as a replacement for the broken bottle?
  • Norron
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks great so far. You're really mowing through these man!

As a side note, even with just simple AO and flat color it's amazing how much the TF2 shader really sells the effect. I could believe that that's ready to go already.

EDIT: I just thought of something. Maybe add a small sticker/demo logo/markings on the grenade head?
  • jgoodroad
    I REALLY hope this gets ingame.
    I want to shout at my clanmates and say, proudly.
    "SEE, I TOLD YOU THE DEMO NEEDED A BOMB ON A STICK!!!"
  • Hotdogbunker
  • Baby Stomper
    I can't say I like the grenade launcher replacement, but the M24 looks great.

I can't wait to see the final product.
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Naso:
    Yeah, the plan is to make it so there's an exploded version just like there's a broken version of the bottle.

Norron:
    Aye, the TF2 shader is a thing of beauty. I definitely plan on putting something on the grenade, but I haven't decided what yet.

jgoodroad:
    I'd be rather pleased as well!

Hotdogbunker:
    Thanks!

Baby Stomper:
    Ah, I know I can't please everybody, but thanks for the honest opinion.

Hand grenade. Now with explodedness!
    SxI5D.jpg

There are still a few issues I need to work out, such as clipping, but the one that bugs me the most is the fact that you can't see the top of this thing with the default weapon FOV. Need to take care of that.
    bbfZs.jpg
  • jgoodroad
    who plays on default?...wait...
    "default"
  • Simski
    I really like the way you made it more interesting to look at :O
    It definitely looks cooler now that it isn't so tiny, and I like the small details.

Do you plan to make a new taunt for it though?
    The bottle taunt would look very unfitting I can imagine, and I believe the reason the skullcutter is without a taunt rather than have the eyelander taunt is because Valve didn't want Demoman to have more than one weaopon that has a kill taunt.
    If you don't want one, it will probably either get the bottle taunt like paintrain, or no taunt at all like the skullcutter.

Also hypothetically speaking, how do you imagine it would work in game?
    Would it break/explode on random crit like bottle, or would it explode after a set ammount of hits, or on first impact?
    I know this doesn't matter as it's not supposed to be function based, I'm merely curious as to how you think it would work if it made it in game. You don't even have to answer if you don't feel like it:
  • nex
    Simski wrote: »
    Also hypothetically speaking, how do you imagine it would work in game?
    Would it break/explode on random crit like bottle, or would it explode after a set ammount of hits, or on first impact?
    I know this doesn't matter as it's not supposed to be function based, I'm merely curious as to how you think it would work if it made it in game. You don't even have to answer if you don't feel like it:
    probably just like bottle...
  • Simski
    nex wrote: »
    probably just like bottle...
    That wouldn't be very useful though.

The bottle only breaks on crit, and if this also only breaks on crit I might as well just use the old bottle and prevent myself from dealing self damage when killing enemies.
  • Psyke
    i think if it had a higher random chance of being critical it'd be good. and if it was a critical hit it exploded for effect

god can you imagine using the targe, equiped with this? zooming forth to your enemy to strike and be lucky enough for the nade to go off?

BABOOM!

man, now i REALLY want this to win!
  • Khthon
    You're going to make a burned texture to the exploded grenade melee, yes?
  • Brunaai
    sorry about going off the current topic but seeing as that bomb-helmet has been done, i decided to take a closer look at the helemets and goggles to see what else could be done.

when i looked at the goggles i thought "kinda silly having protection for 2 eyes for him", so how about a pair broken/cut in half with a metal plate covering where his eyepatch is.

just an idea :)
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly, guys, I haven't been giving much thought to how this thing would work. I just know that I want it to blow the hell up when you hit stuff.

Khthon:
    Yup. And speaking of which...

I'm considering swapping out the green for a dark team color, but I haven't decided yet. The texture isn't quite where I want it to be at the moment anyway; it doesn't quite feel like it belongs in TF2 yet, so I'm going to push it a little further.
    S8nWG.jpg
  • Simski
    I would in fact like to see how it looks team-colored :O
  • Norron
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe if it's team colored then make it look like it's a layer of badly applied or worn paint over bare metal.

Similar to how the sentry looks actually. it's plainly team colored paint that's on it instead of it being full red or blue.
  • Snowloss
    If you really want to have team colors the stick grenade melee, why not just add a colored stripe around the grenade?
    Personally, I don't see it looking as good team colored.
  • The Patriot
    Awesome I was wondering if someone would make a M79 styled grenade launcher.
    Omg....the original Grenade launcher is modeled after the M79 Launcher!
  • chickenman
    Put a sticker on it that says "for maximum exploded awesomeness, increase FOV."
  • henroast
    That is so cool, nice job! I'm not so sure about the green though.