Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Perspective/constructing heads

Hi guys,

I've been avoiding the fundamentals regarding 2D-art for quite some time now, and thought it'd be time for me to do something about that. I've been getting into the basics of perspective and thought I'd try to construct some heads to make it a little less technical and keep the fun in fundamentals (hah). I followed Loomis' method but I ran into a problem at pretty much the first step, when putting down the 'equators' on the ball. The next step of 'slicing' a part of the sides of the ball gives me the same problem. Is there an accurate way to predict how the line is gonna run around the sphere? I'm just kind of guessing and that's not good enough. Do I have to study circles in perspective more? How does everyone else do it? Do they actually construct this stuff? I know this all comes down to knowing the fundamentals regarding form, but I'm not sure just how to effectively study this. Example below to clarify my problem!

Any tips are very welcome. If someone wants to get an idea of what I do, here's a slightly outdated portfolio: http://jellesteenhuisen.carbonmade.com/

d00a6a.jpg

Thanks!

Replies

• Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    This:
    http://youtu.be/EDG9TUHD1Cw

I still sometimes draw construction on a head in a really odd angle or if I just can't seem to place things properly the first try, but I don't do the whole sphere/divide/cut off sides thing, as it ends up looking exactly like all of the other heads you'd draw this way. One of the reasons almost all of loomis's heads looked so alike was he used the same way to construct them.
  • JelleS
    Yes, I always kind of get this neutral-looking head, but I figured it's good to get the basic construction down so you can move on from there. Helpful video, I think I'll go do some skull studies right now! :D I'm also going to have to get a bit more comfortable with perspective, you need it in everything.. I've been lazy.

Thanks!