Home Technical Talk

Normal Map UV Seam Problem

Hello, I've been trying to work out my normal map problems for about 5 days now. I am getting seams where the uv seams are from viewing with just the (tangent space) normal map applied in marmoset 2. My UVs were unwrapped in Maya. They are mirrored correctly as well (I've tried a version without mirrored UVs as well). There have been many things I have tried. I have baked the normal from different programs: Maya, Zbrush, and Xnormal. Using a cage as well as trying without a cage in Maya and XNormal. All results still showed seams. I also made sure to bake the final complete model when I baked every time (didn't try to bake half of normal and mirror it). I've also made sure that my vertices were all welded together on the model. The model has also been softened in Maya before baking. Tried padding (dilating) the normal maps. I've went into Photoshop and tried to blur out the edges as well with the neutral blue normal map color (tried combining that with padded version as well (always made sure to normalize when done)). I've been using .tga files (I've tried 32b, 24b, and 16b (with and without the alpha channel). Attempted flipping the Y in Marmoset too. The seams are still there.

Any information towards this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Seam down the middle of chest
SSOutChest1_zpsf86ac565.png

Closer view of chest seam
ScreenShot2014-08-24at41407PM_zps804e8571.png

Closer view of chest seam with version I've taken into photoshop and blurred out the edges
ChestBlurred1_zps35d7c212.png

Example of my padded normals rendered from XNormal
XNN1DampNLZNoAlpha24bC_zps3937e4e6.jpg

Example of normals with edges marked out with normal map neutral blue
XNN1SFNLZNoAlpha24bC_zpscf4bb0f0.jpg

I've also gotten some seams where the edges of some of my polygons are.
PolySS1C_zps407b37c8.png

Replies