Home Unreal Engine

Unreal Engine 4

Replies

• Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    I think you have to be logged in on github to get access to the page.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    I think it's still not there since their Activity on GitHub in last 30 days shows "Allegorithmic has no activity during this period."
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It is, but you have to connect with the same account as the one you registered with Epic to get access to UE4 sources on github.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Wondering if Jordan or Warren can shed any light on either the SSS or pre-integrated shaders, neither of them really have a good skin "feel". neither of them blur normals or diffuse each channel at different lengths like most of the skin shaders i've seen.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Wondering if Jordan or Warren can shed any light on either the SSS or pre-integrated shaders, neither of them really have a good skin "feel". neither of them blur normals or diffuse each channel at different lengths like most of the skin shaders i've seen.

Preintegrated skin and screen space subsurface scattering implementation is admittedly pretty early, and does have some work to be done on it yet to improve it. The rendering guys were able to get their first passes in, and were tasked onto other fires - but we do have full intentions of getting back to them and improving the effects. Thanks for the feedback, and pointing that out!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Am i right in assuming that the source HLSL shaders are in the sourcecode on github? if that's the case would i be able to work on my own skin shader?
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Yep! I'm not sure how that stuff is organized or where you'd go about doing that, but you're totally able to. definitely encourage it!
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Am i right in assuming that the source HLSL shaders are in the sourcecode on github? if that's the case would i be able to work on my own skin shader?

Pretty excited to see what you come up with!

Came across this today:
    http://alteredqualia.com/xg/examples/deferred_skin.html

Really creepy but also an amazing demo of realtime skin! I haven't played that much yet with the skin shading in UE4, but I can already tell I'm gonna need something custom. I was planning on trying to build it with the material editor. I hadn't thought of writing one from scratch in HLSL though. Please let me know how that goes!

What are some of the benefits of writing it from scratch vs using the material editor?
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    that's a pretty good demo, but the GGX "shape" really doesn't suit skin. I was going to try to match Beckmann's if i could.

any shader i write from scratch would still need to run through the material editor for all of the inputs, i probably wouldn't even change it much in that sense from the subsurface shader that already exists, in terms of inputs.

also - i have absolutely zero time to work on this "now".
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    woooo 178 different shader files to search through!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    UE 4.1 is coming O o'
    OMG
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    PyrZern wrote: »
    UE 4.1 is coming O o'
    OMG

Yeah 'late next week'.

Right before my scubscription runs out sheeeit
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    Yeah 'late next week'.

Right before my scubscription runs out sheeeit

Same! My ends Saturday!
  • Isunoj
    Offline / Send Message
    Isunoj polycounter lvl 9
    Hello to all. Does anyone know how I do to check the texture density? I used this feature extensively in UDK but UE4 only have the lightmap density option.
  • Anthony
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    mine is due next wednesday, but its set to auto renew so i'm good :)

Ikinima looks really interesting, shame i'm not very skilled at animating :P
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    ZacD wrote: »
    Same! My ends Saturday!

I think they're purposefully going to do big updates the day after most people's subscriptions run out or get renewed. Which I guess is the smart thing to do, anyway, haha.
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    If you're at all interested in making a multiplayer game I recommend this awesome blog post Billy Bramer posted:

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/blueprint-networking-tutorials

He goes over networking in blueprints, which is super powerful.
  • weee
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    i still remember i was in awe seeing they playing around Elemental demo in editor with real time GI, sigh... I'm still hoping they will bring it back in 4.5 or some stage in some degree.
  • Logithx
    Offline / Send Message
    Logithx polycounter lvl 5
    weee wrote: »
    i still remember i was in awe seeing they playing around Elemental demo in editor with real time GI, sigh... I'm still hoping they will bring it back in 4.5 or some stage in some degree.

True, but I don't think people will want to drop lightmass anytime soon. The indirect lighting seems to have gotten a huge upgrade in Unreal 4. Working on environments that depend mostly on indirect lighting has become much more enjoyable rather than frustrating. I also feel much more in control, in Unreal 3 you always had to either massively boost the indirect lighting universally (which gave baking problems and looked ugly in many places) or use hundreds of dim 'fake lights' to give the illusion of indirect lighting.

Notice how the sunlight in Unreal 4 bounces correctly onto the train to the right, and even goes up to the ceiling to illuminate the panels and supporting structures.

MdH8uxu.jpg
  • Rockley Bonner
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    I have a question, just getting unto unreal 4. I cant seem to save anything besides the actual changes in the level. in the content browser, When I add a new folder or import meshes in the highlighted section, I cant get the changes to be permanent for the life of me. Ive tried save all as well as save, save all levels, save as... Any help would be appreciated. :)

UNreal4save_zpsa5ef0546.jpg
  • Logithx
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if it is related, but did you create a new project through the launcher? It created a main project folder for me which is always there when I start my project in Unreal 4. From there I can add folders to the main project folder and dump all the game assets. Even if you close without saving the editor will notify you of unsaved content and asks you if you want it saved.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Offline / Send Message
    I did but I cant seem to find a main project folder in the content browser...
  • Rockley Bonner
    Offline / Send Message
    I got it to save, but I had to put an asset in one of the folders. Shouldn't there be an easier way?
  • Son Kim
    Offline / Send Message
    Son Kim triangle
    RJBonner wrote: »
    I got it to save, but I had to put an asset in one of the folders. Shouldn't there be an easier way?

I found a workaround, right click on that new folder(an empty one), select Show in Explorer. It should write/save that folder to your harddrive.
  • odd_enough
    Offline / Send Message
    odd_enough polycounter lvl 9
    @logithx: That's an awesome comparison shot of Lightmass. I honestly wasn't sure how much had changed, but seeing that difference is great. That is an absolute improvement. I remember the headaches caused by the sometimes muddy look of Lightmass bakes in UDK, primarily due to compression (like the pixelated rainbow junk that occurred in some places).
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Not sure if this has been shared here yet but worth the read!

Arch_Layers_final.jpg

Dynamic Global Illumination in Fable Legends using UE4
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Logithx wrote: »
    True, but I don't think people will want to drop lightmass anytime soon. The indirect lighting seems to have gotten a huge upgrade in Unreal 4. Working on environments that depend mostly on indirect lighting has become much more enjoyable rather than frustrating. I also feel much more in control, in Unreal 3 you always had to either massively boost the indirect lighting universally (which gave baking problems and looked ugly in many places) or use hundreds of dim 'fake lights' to give the illusion of indirect lighting.

Notice how the sunlight in Unreal 4 bounces correctly onto the train to the right, and even goes up to the ceiling to illuminate the panels and supporting structures.

MdH8uxu.jpg

Thanks a lot for making that comparison shot. Huuuuge improvement in UE4!
  • Docm30
    Offline / Send Message
    Docm30 polycounter lvl 10
    Wow. I hadn't realised the lighting improved that much.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
  • Armangelo
    Offline / Send Message
    Armangelo polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, I have an issue I'm hoping someone can help me out with:
    I'm trying to create a volumetric light (This but in UE4) for the first time. Here are pics of my current set-up:
    lqW8quv.jpg
    pDlIPEN.png

Now, if I keep going with the tutorial and try to add the falloff for when you would be below the texture, I get an even stranger result:
    UUvf7x7.png
    4c1BcRe.jpg

Am I forgetting a node or operation in this? Has the reflectionVector node changed in nature between UE3 and UE4? Is there an easier way to create this material? Any help is welcome. I've spent the last few hours wrangling with this.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Probably because the Reflection vector is in World Space in UE4 now by default and you need to convert it. Try to use a transform node just after your reflexion vector.
  • Armangelo
    Offline / Send Message
    Armangelo polycounter lvl 6
    Hm, good to know. I'll see which node that is. Thanks!
  • Yury
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8

MdH8uxu.jpg

Man this is so cool! Are you going to create a WIP thread or something like that for this project? I would really love to see your progress. Can't wait to see the final UE4 scene! UDK scene looks badass too btw! :)
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    JordanW wrote: »
    If you're at all interested in making a multiplayer game I recommend this awesome blog post Billy Bramer posted:

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/blueprint-networking-tutorials

He goes over networking in blueprints, which is super powerful.

Awesome. Thanks for linking that.

There's a part he kinda glossed over though. I wonder if anyone here knows how it works.

When it comes to Network Relevancy, he just kinda glossed it over, but really the engine seems to handle that automatically based on various criteria. Distance, line-of-sight, etc. Is it possible to modify those criteria? Specifically, is it possible to add one of my own?

This is something I tried doing for a project back in UDK and never got it to work. It seems relevancy is something that's hard-coded in there in Unreal3. Not sure how it is now in Unreal4. But in this demo he seems to have manipulated it some with those blue rings.
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Is there an option to build lighting on selected objects only?

UE3 could do it.
  • Isunoj
    Offline / Send Message
    Isunoj polycounter lvl 9
    Hello guys! Someone knows something about how to check the texture density in UE4?
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    Isunoj wrote: »
    Hello guys! Someone knows something about how to check the texture density in UE4?

+1 was looking for this and it's not in the viewport display modes as it was in UDK.
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    coots7 wrote: »
    +1 was looking for this and it's not in the viewport display modes as it was in UDK.

We actually removed it because it's not really relevant to how most content is created these days. Almost all materials have some tiling component, detail texture mapped, or multi-frequency textures mapped to it which means density display doesn't give you much information.

There still is a lightmap density mode though.
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Awesome. Thanks for linking that.
    When it comes to Network Relevancy, he just kinda glossed it over, but really the engine seems to handle that automatically based on various criteria. Distance, line-of-sight, etc. Is it possible to modify those criteria? Specifically, is it possible to add one of my own?

This is what is exposed if you go to the defaults panel of your blueprint:

rep.JPG

Net Cull Distance Squared is how far the actor will be when no longer considered relevant.
  • Isunoj
    Offline / Send Message
    Isunoj polycounter lvl 9
    We actually removed it because it's not really relevant to how most content is created these days. Almost all materials have some tiling component, detail texture mapped, or multi-frequency textures mapped to it which means density display doesn't give you much information.

Ok I agree that using tiled detail texture, the information of texture density is lost. but still found it useful in situations where you needed to use texture sheet.
    Anyway could not find anything in the EU4 documentation about the ideal relationship between number of pixels per UU.
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12

now that you explain it, it makes sense why it was removed. thanks for the info and yes I've noticed the lightmap density mode
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Why is my texture getting so pixilated from such a short distance away.8iyH2.jpg It doesn't look like that from up close.
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz wrote: »
    Why is my texture getting so pixilated from such a short distance away.8iyH2.jpg It doesn't look like that from up close.

Are those movers? I've sometimes seen streaming incorrectly pick the object to decide streaming for a texture on movers/skeletal meshes...

Does this happen in game?
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Computron wrote: »
    LOD Bias?

that was my initial assumption
  • Logithx
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury wrote: »
    Man this is so cool! Are you going to create a WIP thread or something like that for this project? I would really love to see your progress. Can't wait to see the final UE4 scene! UDK scene looks badass too btw! :)

Thanks! The project is going very well, most of the problems from the switch to UE4 have been solved. Everything has been setup, including the lighting, I've also completed all the new materials/textures so that they behave properly under the new physically based rendering. Right now I'm back to making new assets again, I've decided to also model the entire exterior scene where the train arrives from. This will extend the development time by quite a lot, but it looks too good to not include. The entire level already looks vastly different from the UDK screenshots (in a good way). The new lighting and physically based rendering are just awesome.

Can't wait to show the screenshots and videos, but I've decided to wait until the entire project is finished and then releasing it all in one go. You'll just have to wait I'm afraid.
  • Yury
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks! The project is going very well, most of the problems from the switch to UE4 have been solved. Everything has been setup, including the lighting, I've also completed all the new materials/textures so that they behave properly under the new physically based rendering. Right now I'm back to making new assets again, I've decided to also model the entire exterior scene where the train arrives from. This will extend the development time by quite a lot, but it looks too good to not include. The entire level already looks vastly different from the UDK screenshots (in a good way). The new lighting and physically based rendering are just awesome.

Can't wait to show the screenshots and videos, but I've decided to wait until the entire project is finished and then releasing it all in one go. You'll just have to wait I'm afraid.

Oh cool! Well good luck and I'm looking forward to see the finished project! :)
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Are those movers? I've sometimes seen streaming incorrectly pick the object to decide streaming for a texture on movers/skeletal meshes...

Does this happen in game?

Yeah, they are movers, and it does happen in game. I don't have any LOD's set up for it or anything either. :(
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    This is what is exposed if you go to the defaults panel of your blueprint:

rep.JPG

Net Cull Distance Squared is how far the actor will be when no longer considered relevant.

Thanks for that.

What I'm looking for though is a way to add another criteria of my own.

Say I have two teams playing in a level. But gameplay-wise, only members of the same team are relevant to each other. But there is a gameplay element where members of one team can jump to the other team's "world", and vice versa. Since most of the players will never be aware of one another, we were looking for a way to optimize that and make them network irrelevant so they don't get replicated, even if they're technically standing 2 feet away from one another.
  • Jacky
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacky polycounter lvl 6
    Scizz wrote: »
    Yeah, they are movers, and it does happen in game. I don't have any LOD's set up for it or anything either. :(

Disabling streaming from the texture's properties should fix it, i dont know how sensible it is for in-game though if you are actually planning to use this scene in a game.