Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] OTs-14 Groza Bullpup Rifle

Yo so I'm working on this gun at the moment, to replace one already on my portfolio. Any criticism is appreciated, let me know what you think. High poly is done, moving swiftly on~

Finished, pending any feedback!

tvR6Q6i.jpg
KbfEorz.jpg
Vm9INWo.jpg
vekIXVQ.jpg
liAOofq.jpg

Low Poly

bdc784715c.jpg

High Poly

zEeoH90.jpg

Replies

• ghaztehschmexeh
    Shinigami wrote: »
    Hey nice work so far!

Can i have unsmoothed cage shots?
    Thanks! And dude I know how much you wrack your brain over high poly modelling. I'll do you one better - I'll give you the unsmoothed mesh itself for you to study. Just, you know, don't use it for anything that'd make me sad :)

Download it here
  • Fridock
    Offline / Send Message
    Fridock polycounter lvl 11
    wow thanks for obj, things looks awesome up close!
    btw are you supposed to aim via that hole?
    http://prntscr.com/5rmo9g
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Fridock wrote: »
    wow thanks for obj, things looks awesome up close!
    btw are you supposed to aim via that hole?
    http://prntscr.com/5rmo9g
    No worries. And I have no idea, probably I guess. It's pretty small in the references, if that's why you are asking:

0506604458.jpg
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    JoshuaG wrote: »
    Very nicely done. If you need more reference images, here's a thread for a monthly challenge of the Groza.
    Thanks! I was actually the one who suggested it for that month :P Just didn't work on it then for various reasons.
  • AlexRodriguez
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexRodriguez polycounter lvl 6
    Copy and paste it in notepad and save it as a .obj. Dropbox does that, you have to zip it for it to be the actual file
  • ghaztehschmexeh
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Got the low poly and UVs done, sitting around 27K triangles. Allowing for 8 pixels of padding on a 4K texture, I've used around 90% of usable UV space. Tried a new workflow regarding UVs, mapped each part as I made it, then used the polytools UV normalizer to match each part's texel density. This way I did not have to collapse the parts together (max won't match UV scales unless it's one editable poly) - which works nicely with my baking workflow of exporting separate non-intersecting groups instead of exploding the meshes.

Tomorrow I will do some baking, but for now I am extremely tired (so time to play kerbal space program!)

b899f10fb0.jpg
    c3a34d129b.jpg
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Baking done, took longer than I wanted. It always seems like it's going to go flawless and then some stupid thing crops up. Today I learnt that mirroring stuff can flip normals! Also got a bit of nDo normals on there for text. Going to be moving on to texturing next, wish me luck!

bdc784715c.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
  • WarrenM
    DAMN that's a nice bake, congrats!
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
  • CougarJo
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Sweet bake :D Love this weapon!
  • igi
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    superb work so far. very interesting looking weapon, looks like an AK body turned into a compact bullpup.
    27k triangle? have ı missed something or that kind of polycounts became plausible these days?
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    anything is plausible if its for a portfolio piece :P
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Great model OP
    igi wrote: »
    27k triangle? have ı missed something or that kind of polycounts became plausible these days?
    it's not too weird with the new consoles being out, and visually you might as well go high-poly if you're gonna use a 4k texture imo.
  • sushi
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    igi wrote: »
    very interesting looking weapon

I actually think we have this exact model in "our" game as well :)
  • igi
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Spoon wrote: »
    I actually think we have this exact model in "our" game as well :)

hmm really? don't remember anyone was making it :poly141:. but there was shittons of content produced so I might be missed that one.
  • Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Wow this is looking great!
    And thank you very much for the OBJ, this is really helpful for newbies like me :]
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Wow, thanks everyone! I find the secret to a great bake it to use a lot of polygons, lol. I know it's a lot of triangles, I was extravagant. I mean there are a couple of modeled springs that are barely on show, and use quite a few tris! But, you know, I feel it's a plausible amount and it's for my portfolio - so why not :)

Texturing I'm not so strong with, I'll really appreciate feedback as I start doing that.
  • Rumkugel
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    looks great so far mate :)

keep in mind that this is based off an ak. so you can use some parts as ref.
    mag release, selector, cocking handle. some of them miss tiny bits n pieces.
  • juniez
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    damn. look at these good graphics
  • Olli.
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    That UV packing is airtight man.. good job.
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Great stuff! Now just don't blow the texturing, tee-hee :)
  • archery
    Offline / Send Message
    archery polycounter lvl 3
    Looks awesome. Nice job
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Recently picked up substance painter. It feels so much more natural than photoshop, and it's so quick and easy to iterate. This is what I have so far for this.

bc1344577a.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    This is looking rather cool! :)
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Ugh is this way too dark? I reinstalled my OS and forgot to sort my gamma :S

Does this look better?

d3fd9a6cfb.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Yep.
    The underlaying metal looks like it has a bit too much noise i think.
  • polygoo
    Offline / Send Message
    polygoo polycounter lvl 17
    awesome so far!
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Thanks!

Yeah I was thinking the same. Planning on working on the metal material, giving it a bit more variation etc. I also plan to play with the paint a bit more, adding/changing the structural wear and dirt on the mag and to do another pass on the wood.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    The dirty paint looks pretty damn good. You're making good use of the 4k res. Does it look noisy from a bit further away though?

Some small points; the scratches from the fire selector are odd; there should probably only be the one main scratch that is curved (as the selector is pushed up/down, think about where it rotates from). You also don't have the indents for it to click into near the full auto and semi auto markers, but that's a quick fix in ndo. Not too sure the wear at the rear of the receiver cover makes much sense considering the stock.

The wood peeling looks good but doesn't make much sense since it's a varnish, not something that would chip away. Not too sure about the wrinkly stuff either. And since you said you're going to take a look at the wear on the mag, make sure the extrusions get wear around their edges. Currently you have curved parts of the mag worn but not the extrusion edges, which is very odd.

and +1 to what pedro said about the underlying metal appearing noisy; is that height noise in sp? If so it might appear a lot less strong once exported (converted to a normal).

Speaking of, how are you finding substance painter? I'm working on a similar gun at the moment and I'm quite liking SP, though performance could be better. Probably just my GPU though. How much of your dirt and wear (particularly edge wear) is procedural and how much is handpainted? I wouldn't mind seeing some albedo/roughness shots from SP too :)
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Thanks man those are some great points, I fully agree with you.

It is indeed height noise, I just chucked on white noise to the metal layer to get a slightly better impression as I was working on the scratches.

I am loving substance painter. I actually found that if you are painting, I get lag on layers which are below a bunch of others. Bringing it to the top of the stack stops this.

In terms of edge wear I'd say that it's about 50/50 procedural and hand painted. I had issues getting nice curvature on places where the hp/lp matches quite closely. I ended up using Meshlab to bake a curvature map onto my high poly vertex colours, and then baked this down onto my low poly. Unfortunately it was a colour based curvature map and I don't know how to convert this to a greyscale one. I ended up making a quick substance to handle it, which isn't perfect as I'd have liked to have piped it into the mask builder.

Dirt I placed procedurally and did some manual removal. I'm probably going to go in and paint some in by hand though.

Albedo/rough

e071bd2e31.jpg
    571586705c.jpg
  • The Lone Penguin
    Offline / Send Message
    The Lone Penguin polycounter lvl 9
    some great points here, I agree with the wear near the rear of the receiver. It seems like very directional wear for an area that would be mostly guarded by the stock. Some sort of surface wear wouldn't be bad but perhaps not something that looks like it was drag across the ground. Same for the big scratched surface you have between the magazine and pistol grip. Perhaps something more rubbed off or chipped off rather than the intense directional damage.

"Unfortunately it was a colour based curvature map and I don't know how to convert this to a greyscale one"

Did you just pull out the necessary channel you need? Usually green channel is for convex and red is for concave.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Yeah you are very right. I think I was just overly enthusiastic with the wear! I used colour selection in designer to create masks. But I actually used my brain after your comment and have created a greyscale version :)
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    I am loving substance painter. I actually found that if you are painting, I get lag on layers which are below a bunch of others. Bringing it to the top of the stack stops this.
    Interesting; I haven't tried that yet. I got some good info about SP performance after I asked about it in their subforum. One non-vram performance tweak I've found since then is, if you're getting lag when painting, change the brush from tangent space to UV. It's a lot less performance intensive and lets me paint on layers that would otherwise be unusable. You can't really use that around seams though.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Hey so I finally feel like this is finished. Any feedback is appreciated

tvR6Q6i.jpg
    KbfEorz.jpg
    Vm9INWo.jpg
    vekIXVQ.jpg
    liAOofq.jpg
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Some of the nicest textures and edges (variation + realism) ive seen in the last

No hole in the barrel ?! Also the rounded rectangle dirt is too uniform id say
    You could make it really next level with some humanization elements
    (sticker, piece of tape, carvings etc, extra nice if they are super eroded as well)

Also more time into background and lighting could be spend, also not sure about the color choices and a bit more exposure would do good, aside very nice
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Thanks man, that means a lot!
    Yeah I just noticed the barrel thing. I'm sure I added AO+roughness to fake the hole, I guess I deleted it by accident. Maybe I can photoshop it without it looking like a bullshot? haha. I really don't want to remake these images :P

I'm not sure which part you mean by the rounded rectangle.. do you mean the part directly above the grip? I will certainly add something fun down the line maybe. I find it quite difficult to say "I'm done" and am actually quite proud of myself for saying so. I find it quite easy to faff around not ready to commit to saying I'm happy with it (before game art I did physics, it was quite easy to tell when you were done so I always found the end part difficult).

I actually spent a decent amount of time on lighting, I feel like it is something I am actively improving on over time. I'm happy that this is the best I can do at the moment without spending too much time on it. Again, I'm trying to avoid spending way too much time not being *quite* happy with my work. I recently finished a model which I have been improving little by little for literally years. I need to stop doing that kind of thing.

I can never seem to get the background right by you guys haha. I did one before which people were like "too distracting" So I thought I would go with a simple gradient... the colour is just something unified across my portfolio, it can be changed but that can be discussed when I get some feedback on that as a whole.

I think I'll avoid making any changes at this point just because I need to keep up this ability to say "it's finished". If I get any glaringly bad feedback I will though. Otherwise, I'll push it a bit further down the line! I hope this is a reasonable thought process.

Thanks for the feedback, and I am keen to hear more from people!
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Good work bro!
  • polypie
  • beanster
    Offline / Send Message
    beanster polycounter lvl 2
    Awesome work, can we maybe see texture flats? Pretty please :)
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Thanks!

Sure. I did all of the texturing inside of Substance Painter. Full texture res is 4K.

33WEgqp.jpg
    3pIkoBF.jpg
    VVD8e7W.jpg
    PubD1q2.jpg
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    This turned out fantastic; you've really pushed the detail in the roughness.

My only crit apart from the blocked up barrel is this:

YurhN3f.png

something gone wrong when putting that image together?
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Thanks!
    Hmm, I did not notice that bek! That part isn't two sided, to save on polygons. It isn't visible from most angles, so I thought it wouldn't be an issue. I'll probably do some fixing up and I'll cheat and just turn off culled back faces :)
  • Alex1
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex1 polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks a lot for sharing your work Ghaz, it turned out really well.

I've been studying your high poly obj file and I've noticed some weird topology in certain areas, for example, incomplete edge loops, triangles and ngons.

MQF0BFr.png

Does topology not matter in this case as long as the high poly mesh looks good when smoothed?

Just trying to gain a better understanding of topology - always thought that clean and consistent edge flow was desired when modelling.

Thanks.
  • C86G
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    If it smoothes nice, don´t worry about the higpoly´s topology as long as it is for baking.
  • Alex1
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex1 polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the clarification Christian.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Yup, I just terminate loops when they annoy me in any way which doesn't effect the smoothed high poly. So on flat planes you can do this however you want usually (although if you try to terminate a lot at once it can cause issues). It's a lot more important to be careful on curved surfaces, but even then sometimes n-gons and triangles can be fine.