Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

mini-excavator RH_1.29

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
TomDelboo polycounter lvl 6
Hi All,
I really could use some crits on this.
I'm working on a mini-excavator for a school exam.
And the deadline is getting close. Each day it seems I get even more behind schedule :(

Anyway thought you guys could point me some mistakes out so later on I won't have even more work to fix them.

Here are some shots, feel free to use them if you want to give feedback. I already did some comments on some of them.
Tommorrow I hope to finish the lowpoly and have everything unwrapped (probably not puzzled together)

thanx in advance

screenshot010_cr.jpgscreenshot012_cr.jpgscreenshot016.pngscreenshot018.png

Here's a wip shot from my high poly. didn't have the time to do a new render from the final Highpoly, but the biggest part is there.

wipHiRenderTomDelboo.jpg

post was edited: deleted some shots, so the thread didn't get too image heavy

Replies

• TomDelboo
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, finally started on baking.
    This is my latest testbake so far. Still some artifacts. So will have to tweak and enrich the cage on some places.
    crits welcome.

screenshot000.pngscreenshot001.png
  • gutty333
    Wonderful bake, some minor artifacts but overall great results. Can not wait to see this bad boy texture.

In regards to meeting your deadline, my advice would be to have some pieces share UV space, if you have not done so already, because texuring this will take quite a while
  • TomDelboo
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx man, glad you like it so far.
    As you pointed out. I made alot of pieces share uv's. ;)

I realised I haven't posted any ref yet. So here is 1% procent of my ref. I shot all my ref self. On the internet there are only a handfull low quality pictures from secondhand sites. And no modelsheet so I had to rely on my photos only to get the proportions right.

If anyone is interested in seeing or using all or a part of my ref just give a shout.

front_arm_scheppersmall.jpg
  • TomDelboo
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumped into a problem with ao baking :s (using mental ray in 3dsmax)
    I get these weird artifacts on some of the parts.
    I made sure I had no overlapping uv's on those places. And I made a new scene imported low and high again and tried it again, but didn't change much.

anybody an idea?

here's what I got now
    lowAO.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    try putting a push modifier on the lowpoly before the projection modifier with a value of 0.001 or 0.01 (dont remeber which one is, well, I guess it depends on the scene scale and unit size)
  • TomDelboo
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx Pedro will try that out.

In the mean time here`s an update
    crits more than welcome

screenshotwiptexture0.png
  • TomDelboo
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright going to sleep now. It`s almost 8 am now :(
    here`s where I stand with my texture atm.

Still not happy with the bottom material.
    so any pointers on that please say so.

btw don`t know if this worth mentioning but I did not use any photographs (only as reference :) )

thanx

wiptexture03.pngwiptexture02.png
  • JamesTKirk
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    I have to say this is extremely good!
  • TomDelboo
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx alot James!
    After your comment I enjoyed working on it even more.
  • KazeoHin
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    That is quite well done. I wish modern simulator games had this much attention to detail.
  • TomDelboo
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx KazeoHin :)
    Maybe some day I will have the oppurtunity to change some of that after graduating. :D

Started working on it again. Here`s an update :
    screenshot039.pngscreenshot037.png

crits are still welcome.
    The deadline is friday. Also If anyone knows how to get an alpha map working in marmoset 2, please do tell, I`m not completly statisfied with the way it is now.
  • opatetn
    TomDelboo wrote: »
    thanx KazeoHin :)
    Maybe some day I will have the oppurtunity to change some of that after graduating. :D

Started working on it again. Here`s an update :
    screenshot039.pngscreenshot037.png

crits are still welcome.
    The deadline is friday. Also If anyone knows how to get an alpha map working in marmoset 2, please do tell, I`m not completly statisfied with the way it is now.

Alpha map should be in the alpha channel of the diffuse I think, haven't tried it yet.

For your texture, the windows seem to miss dirt compared to the rest of the vehicle.
  • TomDelboo
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, the alpha is in the diffuse alpha slot. but you can see the black borders on the windows. they should be 100 procent visible (not see trough) while the dirt should be see trough.
    For transparancy I use dither. Wich works but gives some unwanted effects.
    The black on the windows is a halftone gradient but as you can see a grey line appears toward the black gradient. probably because Dither tries to blend. So cut out would work better, because it does not give unwanted blending artifacts. But with cutout is blending from the dirt impossible. So I need both techniques in the same material.
    So what I did now is duplicate the window meshes and moved it a little. And apply to each a different material.
    I would love to have more dirt on my windows, but I still don`t get it to work, without seeing blending and dither noisiness.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Following my video by any chance? I see some parallells, so i just wonder :)
    Looks very good, just some pointers:
    -get some color varaition going in the orange paint. Especially at the back it's worn to pink and yellow tints in some areas, looks more interesting than just orange. In general the paint shows depth when weathered, you can see there's different colors in the layers.
    -Definitely get some of those warning decals on there! Its one of the best ways to add interest to vehicles.
  • TomDelboo
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Following my video by any chance? I see some parallells, so i just wonder :)
    Looks very good, just some pointers:
    -get some color varaition going in the orange paint. Especially at the back it's worn to pink and yellow tints in some areas, looks more interesting than just orange. In general the paint shows depth when weathered, you can see there's different colors in the layers.
    -Definitely get some of those warning decals on there! Its one of the best ways to add interest to vehicles.

Not following, but I have seen some parts from the highpoly and lowpoly dvds. This asignment was for Game art pipeline (DAE, pretty sure you know it :p) In About half an hour I'm about to have my exam. So atm I'm a bit stressed.

Btw Xoliul I tried to do the weathering on the paint like you said. Did I pull it off or did you mean something else?

anyway here are alot of shots (marmo 2) (could not decide wich lighting to go for :s)
    2DAEGG2_GAP06_Delboo_Tom_3_Final_%20%289%29.png2DAEGG2_GAP06_Delboo_Tom_3_Final_%20%288%29.png2DAEGG2_GAP06_Delboo_Tom_3_Final_%20%286%29.png2DAEGG2_GAP06_Delboo_Tom_3_Final_%20%285%29.png2DAEGG2_GAP06_Delboo_Tom_3_Final_%20%284%29.png2DAEGG2_GAP06_Delboo_Tom_3_Final_%20%283%29.png2DAEGG2_GAP06_Delboo_Tom_3_Final_%20%282%29.png2DAEGG2_GAP06_Delboo_Tom_3_Final_%20%2811%29.png2DAEGG2_GAP06_Delboo_Tom_3_Final_%20%2810%29.png2DAEGG2_GAP06_Delboo_Tom_3_Final_%20%281%29.png
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Turned out great man :)

Maybe put a bit more love in the pedestal + ground texture (altough you probably know that already, and just got short on time), now the simple border + some small issues on the textures (bit of clipping + stretching on the texture , bit lowres compared to the vehicle and such, mainly the brown with the grey rocks one) is a bit distracting.
  • mystichobo
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    I'd ditch the base, it's distracting from the actual model.
  • polygoo
    Offline / Send Message
    polygoo polycounter lvl 17
    I like the texturing nice job
  • killazzz
    Looking cool TomDelboo!
    I think alot of the edge grunge is working for this, alot of generated scratches/dirt that appear to be how it woud realistically generate, my only critique would be the grunge on the back is a bit to much and you have no grunge detail above that which would also be nice to see, as well as decals for visual interest, it would also be nice to see some wear on the glass, perhaps dust or generated grime.
    Well done though!
  • TomDelboo
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx alot guys!
    I will ditch the base and find another solution to present it.
    @killazzz : the grunge on the bottom back is actually less than the ref I shot. (some ref pictures can be seen a bit earlier in this thread)
    About the upper part from the back you are completly right. But I cannot really change it that much because I did The unwrapping too quick, with as a result I forgot to make the unwrap from that part asymetrical. ( Personally I think this is indeed the biggest fault I made with this project.) well next time better :D

In the mean time here is a breakdown from the main texture. (4096*2048 )
    In total I used 3 textures. (1 for the rubber tires, can be animated and another 1 for the glass and cables with alpha channel) pres_maps_main.jpg
    no photographs were used.