Home Unreal Engine

Modo to UE4 Pivot Problem

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Dobbler polycounter lvl 11
Hi,

I've set up a fence on a grid in Modo, but in UE4 the pivot doesn't rotate exactly from the edge of the board like I have it set up in my Modo file. I'm using FBX import settings from this thread on the foundry, with -90 under roll and yaw import settings, however I'm using the modo FBX 2013 file without running it through the FBX converter as suggested in the thread.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! Here are a few photos with the pivot shown in Modo, and the resulting issue when I try rotating fence pieces 90 degrees in UE4. Thanks in advance for any help!

AJTcMHM.jpg

hsIwEUb.jpg

pbnrM7I.jpg

2lQThFJ.jpg

Replies

• Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Try making a box or some other shape without any changes to it and importing it using the exact same settings. If it is offset as well, then you at least know that it isn't this particular mesh that is the problem.
  • StormyBA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StormyBA polycounter lvl 8
    First port of call is to check your "Centers" rather then your "Pivot"

Select the mesh/groups with the problems and hit 7 on the keyboard. In modo the traditional Pivot is known as a center.

Pivot - Center/Orientation of your current tool
    Center - Center point of your mesh
  • Ramseus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramseus polycounter lvl 13
    I don't use fbx 2013 out of Modo, I've never had any luck with it. I just stick with exporting as 2010 (after sticking with 2006.11 for a really long time, hah). I don't need to do any external converting or extra rotations, it imports perfectly for me.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, all I use is 2013. Works great for me.

FBX support is awesomely predictable.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Heh, all I use is 2013. Works great for me.

FBX support is awesomely predictable.

+1

FBX works great here.

the pivot "issue" has been fixed btw with modo 801sp 3.

If you first set your center and then set the pivot, you will see that they are in the same position. Make sure your snapping with vert to your grid for accuracy.

In 801sp1 I had to move both the center & then pivot.
  • Dobbler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dobbler polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I confirmed that both the pivot and center were aligned to the origin. I think something just broke in my FBX scene. I solved the problem by pasting the mesh into a new FBX and everything snaps just fine in UE4 now.
  • Clovenhoof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clovenhoof null
    An observation on how to get this correct 100% of the time (since I struggled with it for a while too before i figured out how it works), when you make a new object or want to modify an existing one for export, open up the channels for the object and check that you have only one position (the modo center offset from origo), then make a new position and copy the offset values to that position and reset the first position to zero.

This will effectively fool the fbx export to think you are exporting from origo as the secondary offset position nodes are ignored. It does not work to just add a new zero node and place it before the other one, so I think in modos internals they're still integer based in the order they were added regardless of the order in the list, and it is the first one that counts for the export.