Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota 2] - Rikimaru - the Rune Strider

Yup, I suck at drawing concept arts, that's official.
But the idea is there, and now I have something to start working on.

So Rikimaru being the hero that got me into Dota years ago, I thought that I owed him at least an item set, even more now and since Rikimaru has practically no cosmetics yet.

So I imagined the concept of Rikimaru finding strange magical archives aiming at improving his stealth. That's also an excuse to make him a set of horns that look a bit closer from his original WC3 model (I don't like his current Dota 2 horns, duh).

What I'm not showing on the concept art is how his bracer were replaced by glowing tattoos on his arms, with magical shapes aiming at dizzying opponents. His tail hasn't changed too much, I thought that since Rikimaru escaped his
realm he may have kept some memento from his family, so he has strapped his mother's earrings to his tail and they act as a luck charm.

runestrider.jpg

His shoulder shield has also been replaced by a scarf (I was a bit inspired by that one Gondar set) but it really took me some time to imagine a satisfying shape for his new swords.

I tried everything, asymmetric swords, remakes of the Butterfly or of the Diffusal Blade, but I like that original design better.

Now please, remember that I suck at drawing, it'll look much better once in 3D.
I've haven't posted much on Polycount until now but I've spent some time looking tutorials for TF2 items and I'm not completely newbie to the trade.

I'll look forward to your impressions, once you get something more tangible to look at, but feel free to tell me what you think of the concept art.

Replies

• Deity Link
    And here is the blade, with some low poly geometry and alpha textures. In the final version the blade will be more steel-like, while keeping a blue-ish tone that is similar to the Diffusal Blade's icon. Impressions?

runestrider2.jpg

The concept is inspired by the ninja weapon called "sais"
  • shanks37
    i like the general shape of the sais but i would have the blue steel connecting to the actual hilt more. right now it looks too flimsy.

liking the rest of the design though, especially the aerodynamic mountain goat horns :P