Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DOTA2] - Broodmother - Hatchery of Horrors

Yandalf
triangle
Offline / Send Message
Yandalf triangle
Hello overyone!
I got tossed into this competition for a school project, and when I saw Broodmother was in the list I immediately jumped on. I'm planning on making her all the more horrifying to all those poor arachnophobes playing DOTA2, and decided on a set I'd like to call the "Hatchery of Horrors".
Here is some concepting I've done so far:
dota2_polycount_contest_concept_wip_by_yavaho155-d5ispwt.jpg
dota2_polycount_contest_concept_wip2_by_yavaho155-d5izpdb.jpg
Currently I'm still deciding on the colours for the eggs. For the rest I'd like to stay within Broodmother's basic palette, since it really works for me.

A quick rundown of the set:
Back: A new posterior knob, broader and covered with eggs. Eggs are wrapped in spidersilk.
Legs: Modified legs with adjusted segmentation and pincers. Front legs now have extra pincers for stabbing, and hind legs are covered in eggs as well.
Head: Instead of that little "plume" as I like to call it, Broodmother will get an extra set of large fangs.

NOTE: I am aware of a different set for Broodmother in this competition that has a similar idea, the Caring Mama set. I'm doing my best to make my set look different from that one, I hope that's evident from these concepts.

Replies

• shanks37
    i wouldnt worry about looking like the caring mama set. the only thing in common is the egg sac and the spider silk idea is distinguishing it enough for me.

really liking the stilleto look of the legs too by the way :P
  • Yandalf
    Offline / Send Message
    Yandalf triangle
    Thanks, good to hear people are liking this idea :) Modeling starts today :D
  • Beezow
    I'd say keep the color red/yellow, I think the other colors would clash quite a bit with the rest of broodmother.
  • Yandalf
    Offline / Send Message
    Yandalf triangle
    Here I am again, with a small update! I started modeling on the set, currently I have modeled and unwrapped the head item (the jaws) in LOD0 and LOD1.
    I'm working on the back now, placing some additional webs over it. All the other modeling is done there, safe for optimizing it for LOD1
    dota2_polycount_contest_model_wip1_by_yavaho155-d5jff9i.jpg
  • Yandalf
    Offline / Send Message
    Yandalf triangle
    Another quick update! I've finished the LOD0 for the back, and almost completely finished the LOD0 for the legs. Have an image!
    dota2_polycount_contest_model_wip2_by_yavaho155-d5jjba4.jpg
  • Yandalf
    Offline / Send Message
    Yandalf triangle
    So, I've finished the model (finally! Other assignments got me a bit held up) in both LOD0 and LOD1. Both models have been unwrapped and skinned to the rig (with a few bones added for the new set of jaws). Right now I'll take it into Zbrush for some quick detailing in the normal maps, and then all that there's left will be texturing.
    I decided to leave the eggs on her legs away, mostly due to tri count constraints.
    Picture!
    dota2_polycount_contest_final_model_by_yavaho155-d5kao7s.jpg
  • WhiteDevil
    That is really nice, I'd love to see that finished.
  • Yandalf
    Offline / Send Message
    Yandalf triangle
    So here I am again, with only a few days left before the original deadline I finally started texturing this baby!
    Have a WIP image!
    dota2_polycount_contest_textures_wip1_by_yavaho155-d5l494x.jpg
    Right now I'm considering the legs to be about done, just going to add a few more details on the first segment to make them less monochrome.
    Currently I'm tweaking the jaws, and I still have to do the entire back.
  • Yandalf
    Offline / Send Message
    Yandalf triangle
    Current state of the diffuse textures.
    dota2_polycount_contest_textures_wip2_by_yavaho155-d5l65kj.jpg
    Currently working on the mapping and importing into DOTA2.
    Feedback always welcome!
  • Yandalf
    Offline / Send Message
    Yandalf triangle
    So, I'm having quite some issues with getting it all into the game.
    No matter what I try to do, my models show up in the game at a much smaller scale than intended.
    I originally used the Maya files that I exported from Maya into 3Ds Max 2013 as a base for modeling. I've already checked whether there was any scaling on my or the base models (which there asn't) and even applied fixes for this kind of issues just to be sure (Box Method, which did nothing, and reset xform which resulted in stretching of my models).
    I export as FBX, and have tried various measurement systems during export (auto, cm, meter, inch, and feet to be precise) yet my models always show up on the same scale.
    I can't use SMD export since there is no plugin for that yet for Max13, and I can't open my Max13 file into Max12. Anyone has an idea what's going on or how I can fix it?
  • WhiteDevil
    When all else fails then use the Dota 2 original model files and convert to SMD. That's how I got my models to work in game. The workshop files just didn't work at all.
  • Yandalf
    Offline / Send Message
    Yandalf triangle
    WhiteDevil wrote: »
    When all else fails then use the Dota 2 original model files and convert to SMD. That's how I got my models to work in game. The workshop files just didn't work at all.

Well, that's a problem. I can only import and export to SMD with these 3Ds Max plugins, but they don't work yet for Max 2013, and I can't open my files into Max 2012 because of backward compatibility issues (big fail on that part, imo).
  • Yandalf
    Offline / Send Message
    Yandalf triangle
    Sigh, I still can't get the items to show correctly in DOTA2. Also, now that they've suddenly changed Brood's head into some sort of horror movie thing that really doesn't fit the rest of the design (both the original and my item set) I guess I'm done for.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    If you export your files from 2013 to OBJ or FBX you can just import them into 2012 and use the smd exporter in that.