Home General Discussion

The Walking Dead

Replies

• Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Wow, I just finished playing episode 5 after purchasing it all with the humble bundle. Such an amazing game! (even though it's more like an interactive movie than it is a game).
    Have you guys seen this: http://www.telltalegames.com/walkingdead/400days?

EDIT: oh I thought this thread was about the game, not about the series.
  • DanBe
    OMG I will have to fap on this!

Trailer for Season 4 and it looks EPIC!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxg27QsaIEY"]The Walking Dead Season 4 Comic Con Trailer! [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

MOAR ZOMBIES + MOAR MYSTERY + MOAR DEATH + MOAR INSANITY + MOAR ZOMBIES!!!!
  • JamesArk
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Holy shit that was an amazing trailer. This series...god damn.
  • StephenVyas
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    argh... Too early to be teasing us with this. A long wait still till Oct 13 for the premiere

Damn, does it ever look badass... can't wait:poly124:
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Looks a lot more focused on survival rather than dumb problems created by dumb decisions that weren't in the comics.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    this show, i have stopped giving fucks about.
  • StephenVyas
    Offline / Send Message
    ^If that were entirely true, you wouldn't have opened up The Walking Dead thread
  • Kave
    Offline / Send Message
    Kave triangle
    I hate to be a HURR DURR THE COMICS R BETTA kind of guy, and I loved the first season, but after reading the comics the show seems so slow and drawn out i can't be bothered with it anymore :/
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wyIqT0qhzg"]The Walking Dead | Season 4 | 4x01 Extended Sneak Peek "30 Days Without an Accident" - YouTube[/ame]
  • Rens
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I need something to fill my Breaking Bad emptiness
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Boardwalk Empire ;)
  • StephenVyas
    Offline / Send Message
    The Blacklist had a good pilot last week.
    Could be something to keep an eye on
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I disliked the Blacklist pilot. It was so predictable, and the CIA agents were so damn stupid (to make the story work)
  • Hang10
    Did anyone watch the premiere? Thoughts?

I'd just like to know how long it's been the end of last season till now.
    I thought the walk the Rick took with the Clara was a little drawn out. I thought the supermarket scene was great, Tyrese is a terrible shot and Zach didn't last very long.

Though one thing I never thought of: What did Daryl do before this whole outbeak? Maybe I missed it in the earlier seasons, but I am kind of curious.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Daryl was a mechanic before all of this. If not, just a general dime store thieve, with Merle.

I agree, about the walk, though I did think it was going to be something from the comics : (comic spoiler)
    When they run into that group of cannibals

I did enjoy the episode, even if it was a little slow paced. I almost expect that from them now. The pacing always ramps up at the end of the season.

One other thing, about the episode, which I've heard people talk about :
    Why were their suddenly so many weak points? I can understand one, MAYBE two, but not the whole roof. Those walkers were moving around, before the sound caught their attention. I think they took a good idea, and overdid it. It should have been one hole, that grew in size, as more fell in.

Also
    I did see people complain about that helicopter (why was it there?). And why were there so many walkers up there. I think they were trying to set up the scene as an evac gone wrong. Like the chopper was there, came in low, then an attack broke out, and overwhelmed the heli. All the evac people then became walkers, and ended up stuck on the roof.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Hang10 wrote: »
    Did anyone watch the premiere? Thoughts?

I'd just like to know how long it's been the end of last season till now.

I assumed it was 30 days, due to the title of the episode "30 days without an incident." People seem settled, forming new relationships, used to new routines and jobs, they have crops, and a pig, built two little structures, and been pulling more people in, so it has to have been at least 30 days I would think.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    I can't seem to find it anywhere but I'm pretty certain they said it's been 6 Months since the season 3 finale on Talking Dead.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    moose wrote: »
    I assumed it was 30 days, due to the title of the episode "30 days without an incident." People seem settled, forming new relationships, used to new routines and jobs, they have crops, and a pig, built two little structures, and been pulling more people in, so it has to have been at least 30 days I would think.

On the Talking Dead I believe the show runner said it was about 3-4 months.

They've announced the casting of a few major characters from the comics which makes me think things are going to move pretty swiftly this season. But I could be wrong.
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    To me it seems like a lot longer than thirty days. Can you really get a
    crop like that in a month? I don't know, maybe you can (I've never done any gardening or farming).

Also, the blonde girl (I forget her name) seems to have changed a lot from the last season.

I'm a little disappointed in the stupid decisions people keep making despite what they know already. Like Rick and
    that weird woman in the woods. Why would he even consider turning his back on her?

Once in awhile there is some neat logic in the show, though. I really like
    the gate they made. I like how it's out on an angle so it can be opened and closed quite quickly, and it's super smart having the spikes there.

Biggest shock in this season so far:
    No lead black people died!
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    I just hope we don't meet Lucile this season, I don't think my girlfriend & I could handle that.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    This is WAY to soon for Lucile.

Something else.... did anyone catch why
    the kid was sick/died? I assume he 'died' after hitting his face/head
    , but not sure what was going on prior to that. I suspect it ties to why the
    pig died, which we don't know the details on yet
  • ScudzAlmighty
    notman wrote: »
    Something else.... did anyone catch why
    the kid was sick/died? I assume he 'died' after hitting his face/head
    , but not sure what was going on prior to that. I suspect it ties to why the
    pig died, which we don't know the details on yet

From the events throughout the episode
    it seems like he died from whatever made him sick; since he was coughing and stumbling right before he collapsed. The pig is probably tied into it and I think the most likely reason is that the New Threat they were teasing before the season started is the virus (or whatever causes the Walkers in the first place) has gone airborne and/or more aggressive so it's now going to kill some people whether they've been wounded first or not.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    it seems like he died from whatever made him sick; since he was coughing and stumbling right before he collapsed. The pig is probably tied into it and I think the most likely reason is that the New Threat they were teasing before the season started is the virus (or whatever causes the Walkers in the first place) has gone airborne and/or more aggressive so it's now going to kill some people whether they've been wounded first or not.

Someone I work with suggested that too, but I don't think that's it. At least based on the comics, they never went that direction, though it is possible, since they've changed so much already. I took the 'new threat' as
    getting attacked from the inside. As in, they don't know how he dies, but he just appears as a walker. Initially I thought he was having some sort of asthma attack, but remembered after, that he was 'feeling nauseous' at the knife training. Obviously, that was meant to make us think he was sick about the idea of killing with the knife, but apparently was something else.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    My theory:
    someone has tainted the water, the new threat is someone in the prison, whoever is feeding the walkers & buried a gun out in the yard
  • VelvetElvis
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Remember
    they zoomed in on his eyes after he had turned, the same way the did with that bloody eye zombie ole Ricker was looking at. In fact, they showed that same shot twice which leads me to believe that zombie was a connection to the kid's sickness and death. Meaning that zombie died a while ago form whatever the kid picked up. Plus since pigs have some general connection to humans, ie we can use their valves in our hearts, perhaps that is a sign of the sickness as well.

Personally, I have no idea where they are taking this but it feels like the usual grind to a halt mid season bore-a-thon that has plagued the past few seasons. On a plus, no Andrea.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Those are some good points, though
    the New Threat just being a traitor on the inside seems kinda boring to me. I know they mentioned at some point that the... uhm...that dude from Woodbury who was really working for the Gov (?) would be introduced this season so it's seems pretty obvious that he'd be the traitor. I don't think it's a matter of poisoning the water that killed/turned Patrick since it seems unlikely (to me) that they'd be sharing their water supply with the pigs. Plus the whole Bleeding eye's zombie connection. I guess it's possible, it just seems to me that tainted water would effect a bunch of people rather than one kid and a pig.
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    There are way too many new people with more from the comics coming. This season should be pretty bloody.
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    So in the comic how big is the 'main' cast? Is it bigger or smaller than the show? I know they've taken some liberties with who and when they killed main characters, just wondering how they compare.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    In the comics, the core group usually stays around the same size. People die, then they gain people. Some people also leave, then come back. But some of the main characters, from the comics, have already died in the show. Some people, who died in the comics, lived longer in the show. Hell, in the comics, Rick's group met Tyrese (and his group) back when they were on the highway, leaving their forest site.
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Just watched it..pretty great stuff...
  • JamesArk
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10

I sincerely hope it isn't this^, simply because
    I think it's a really shitty plot device to just be able to kill anyone at any time, regardless of their decisions. Just feels like a cheat to me.

I also think it's a person on the inside and they did something to poison the kid and the pig. If the pig wasn't involved I don't think any of the scenes with it were at all necessary, especially since it was a lean episode to begin with and touched on a bunch of different stories.

Super spoiler-guess based on watching the extended previews and whatnot: Someone poisons water/food, the kid that died comes back and kills 10+ people. In the ensuing chaos or shortly thereafter the evil-doer straight-up kills a few more people, including (just a guess) Tyreese's love interest or maaaaybe his sister. Maybe both. Someone that would make him lose his shit. They also damage/compromise the outside fence to let more walkers in and the group has to GTFO of the prison.

Governor comes back as a Walker or something equally left-field.

Awesome episode, set a lot of stuff up and just felt well-paced and thought out.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    On the Talking Dead I believe the show runner said it was about 3-4 months.

They've announced the casting of a few major characters from the comics which makes me think things are going to move pretty swiftly this season. But I could be wrong.

ah, i fast forward through that garbage. Can't fucking stand that guy who hosts it, and can't stand watching people talk about a show I'm currently watching. So annoying. its a gag now with my wife and i to throw something at the TV when they cut to his face and horrible voice near the end of the show.
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    Just watched 4e02...gripping.
    I was thinking that the feeding of the rats was a sabotage thing, but since they didn't turn, it looks to be empathy. I think we are seeing the beginning of the end for trying to fortify their position by staying in the prison. It was always more exciting to watch how they did out on the road...far more unpredictable. And they will be forced to shrink their group even more, which I believe was the basis for this episode.

It's significant that Rick put his gun back on. He knows trouble is coming. I'm also surprised by this lone wolf attitude of Michonne, I would have thought she would have outgrew that, but now that we seen her with the baby...my guess is she lost one of her own...
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    moose wrote: »
    ah, i fast forward through that garbage. Can't fucking stand that guy who hosts it, and can't stand watching people talk about a show I'm currently watching. So annoying. its a gag now with my wife and i to throw something at the TV when they cut to his face and horrible voice near the end of the show.

awwwwww man, I'm a huge Chris Hardwick fan. He's pretty much built up a one man comedy empire.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAj3n06C87k&noredirect=1"]Bowling Dead: WALKING DEAD Cast & Robert Kirkman - All Star Bowling - YouTube[/ame]
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    much better season already - seems they got some extra budget now for gore and splatter effects :)
  • katana
  • AtlusZMH
    And nobody was surprised... ;)
  • talos72
    Got a lot of catching up on Netflix. I have only watched 4 episodes of the first season...I know, I am way behind.
  • YZ250
    talos72 wrote: »
    Got a lot of catching up on Netflix. I have only watched 4 episodes of the first season...I know, I am way behind.

Rainy Days are usually a good time to catch up on Eps
  • Rwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    shit, gov's back next week
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, that was the best episode yet...I just wanted it to keep going....
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    yeah well, those M4 sounded like plastic toy guns :lol:

Except that, yeah, best episode yet! (they should reduce the blabla time though)
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    My theory for what we are seeing...no I havent read the comic books, but if there was no novel, i would think things went down like this...
    That The Governor has rebuilt a mercenary army and has someone on the inside (feeding rats). Were I to look at the horde of zombies that kept getting bigger, I would say that he was trucking them in and guiding them to the fences.

This would weaken, the perimeter, use up their ammo and give him a chance to see how their response is...My guess is that he will become more General than politician/leader.

Are Hersel and Michonne leaving the prison to do the burning? He mentions that they are burning behind the blocks, but that would seem still inside the perimeter. If they go out into the woods to burn the corpses, that could be an interesting turn of events.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    katana wrote: »
    My theory for what we are seeing...no I havent read the comic books, but if there was no novel, i would think things went down like this...

Doesn't really matter, since it's hardly following the comics at this point anyway. I still think there may be a similarity to the comics (for what is about to happen), so I won't say why they are already much different, but it is definitely a different approach.

I think the Governor has been setting all the rats and bait. We'll see, because they did look to be hung from the inside. I definitely hope they don't play it out as though Michonne is an insider (like they somehow resolved their issues when she was 'looking for him').

The build up of walkers was already shown earlier, when Daryl's group got stuck on the road. I don't think they are getting shipped in. Maybe somehow they are getting drawn in, but I think maybe it's just hordes that have left the cities, now that their food sources have ran out.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    If you haven't read the comics don't look at this:
    Anyone think Lizzie's weird fatalism and sympathy with the walkers could be setting her up for a Ben-type situation? She'll kill her sister because everyone comes back anyway and Carl ends up shooting in secret after the group can't figure out how to handle a psychopath kid.
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope most of them are just gonna die, and they'll start running & find a new place, this is getting kinda boring, I miss season one
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    If you haven't read the comics don't look at this:
    Anyone think Lizzie's weird fatalism and sympathy with the walkers could be setting her up for a Ben-type situation? She'll kill her sister because everyone comes back anyway and Carl ends up shooting in secret after the group can't figure out how to handle a psychopath kid.

I can see this happening. I've already forgotten most of the prison comics now, so I forgot about that part of the storyline.

Spaggiari: I suspect your wish will come true, by the end of this season. It depends on how long they want to play out the prison. They were there for quite a while, in the comics. I do wish the writers would stop making it so much like a soap opera, with the drawn out dialog.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Read all of the comics recently and even though they aren't following the comics exactly at the moment, I'm seeing a lot of parallels between the two. Interesting theory Justin, when I first saw the girls I thought of (comics spoiler)
    the twins who got decapitated in the prison and how they might suffer the same fate
    but I think your theory is more likely with how they are just developing the one kid.

Spaggiari: Funny thing about this season is it's like they realized they put too many people in the prison at the end of the season 3, realized that wasn't a good idea and they needed to get rid of most of them.

I have to say the the slower episodes are far more tolerable when binge watched. For all of the complaints I heard about the second half of season 3 and from the few episodes I watched when they aired, I didn't have a problem with it and found it quite good when I watched it on netflix in one go.
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, Alemja, I got the exact same feeling about this, they're just killing them all by inches
    is it just me or Hershell's back on his feet (yeah I know he has a prothesis but well eh, kinda looks like he got a new leg instead lol)