Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[STAGE] Street Fighter Alpha3, Zangief's Blast Furnace, sarsparillo

sarsparillo
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
sarsparillo polycounter lvl 5
I know someone else has chosen it but as soon as I read about the competition I knew I was going to do this idea.

2ih9nbm.jpg

Overgrown, abandoned and cold. As if someone had rediscovered the place.

mhu3a.jpg

Replies

• sarsparillo
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been doing some quick blocking out so far, making a few modular pieces and getting a sense of scale. I'll work out what I can trash after I've stuck all my temporary stuff around but this stage will have been untouched by people for a long time

solqc7.jpg
  • Andrew Mackie
    I like the layout so far!
    Can't wait to see more.
  • engelmanna
    Offline / Send Message
    engelmanna polycounter lvl 16
    I'm glad that you decided to enter, the more the merrier! I like your blockout so far. Keep it up!
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Should be good to see this with some greenery in!
  • sarsparillo
    Offline / Send Message
    You ever get into that rut where you are making placeholder textures to visualize your color scheme better and you suddenly stop yourself and realize you've put way too much effort into placeholder textures?

Because I need to be working on opening the roof up more and getting this paintover greenery in as actual greenery, not on how I'm going to make a temporary pipe texture more tile-able. Sometimes the little things just seem easier than the big!

a59uz5.jpg
  • sarsparillo
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE... of not much. I've been busy with other things this past week (man, being unemployed and looking for work is the worst) but I've been throwing together a master texture sheet for all the indoor stuff and pulling apart the roof a bit and stuff. I just got a bunch of things into UDK and I'm working on unwrapping parts of the roof and building holes for pipes to go through and all that. I'm also trying to work out what I'm going to do with the big open section to the right; hopefully shrubbery (and an overhanging weeping willow out the front where the roof has broken in) will be able to balance the pipes and rubble to the left.

Anyway, here's the lighting I'm looking at. I considered bringing the contrast up on the shadows for ~*artistic effect*~ but frankly overcast days have super fuzzy shadows and it'd just make everything look really... not what I want.

DFWjT.jpg

At least the color palette is where I want it to be right now. I should really, really be working on my normals soon too. I've got at least half a dozen high poly things sitting around and Crazybump doesn't play too good with multiple textures on the one sheet.