Home Dota 2

Dota 2 Monthly Community Competition #19 - SEPTEMBER

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
I'm sure Tvidotto is just busy. Sometimes he goes afk for awhile but he alreadyhad talked about it.

Guess the lunatics are running the asylum. I've started on a mount already. If I have tie I may try and do a few set pieces. And since I have no interwebz and can't play games I have a lot of time :)

Guess unofficial rules could be:

Sept contest:

Riders:

Alchemist, Luna, Batrider, Disruptor, Timber, Gyro, Chin, seem to be missing one.

Same rules as always, need to show wips, give advice, use the links from the top of the post for final presentation, etc...
Guess we could just post here until a thread is made.
=======

I'll start with some ruough references:
Nosoroh.jpg
babyDisruptorMount1.jpg

haha, not going for chibi but I thought it should be seen... I am using the original mount for color scheme though.

Replies

• Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Welcome to our Dota 2 Monthly Community Competition #19

This month we will keep doing SINGLE ITEMS!

Items based on the heroes like Huds, Couriers or Wards will also be accepted, but they will not compete for the trophy to keep the competition even for everyone

The theme this month is: RIDERS

We have na increased hero pool including mounts, which will increase the average polycount and may be a good learning in anatomy and modeling for animation.

Herolist
    (not repeating last month's heroes)

Str:
    Abaddon
    Chaos Knight
    Timbersaw

Agi:
    Gyro
    Luna
    Mirana

Int:
    Batrider
    Chen
    KotL
    Disruptor

New Banners

Belkun created some nice banners for us, we will try to get at least one of it exposed on the main page

EHPrsm5.jpg

GdVAy7O.jpg

1ksZqVY.jpg

The competition

the idea of the competition is to create items in a friendly environment and with the feedback of the other participants to get the best result possible.

It is mandatory to post the work in progress, or else the submition will not be accepted!

Prizes

We will announce the 5 best items in the end of the month based on the decision of the judges. The first place will also be winning a mini Greentooth trophy!
    pc_gttroph.jpg

Getting your item displayed on the first post

*Items with images bigger then 200 px and/or missing the name of the contributor will not be accepted till fixed

Quote:
    SET NAME by USERNAME

THUMBNAIL_IMG
    PHP Code:

or this one for 2 creators

PHP Code:
    Code:
    SET NAME by USERNAME THUMBNAIL_IMG
    set_name - name of your set, use equal as on the workshop
    workshop_user_link - your workshop page, so people can browse your other items easily
    Username - the name you think its easier to people find you, can be the one from polycount or the steam
    item_link - the workshop page of your item
    thumbnail_img - the image link of the thumbnail that is INSIDE your item page on the workshop (the thumbnail is the one with 200 pixels wide, you can get from your items page or add Code:
    /200x200.resizedimage
    to the end of the link)

**itens with larger thumbnails will not be accepted!**

Rules
    • open for teams of any size
    • it is allowed one item per hero per team/person ( two or more items for the same hero made by the same team/person will not be accepted)
    • everyone should keep posting feedback on other works, the feedback should be constructive
    • it must be submitted to the workshop before the deadline but not before the start of the competition
    • The item should be made on the month of the competition, its ok to continue one started earlier, but you should work most of it during the month
    • the deadline is the last day of the month at 23:59 (since we live in different timezones, some submitions may be accepted couple hours after the deadline)
    • From this month and the next ones, its mandatory to post the work in progress, or else the submition will not be accepted!

Tutorials/working in progress videos

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123800

Inspiring quotes

"It is absolutely insane the amount of top quality content that is being produced every single time here on Polycount. It's great to see so many cosmetics deliver not just on the technical end but also make for such great fittings in every other branch. You guys are doing an exceptional job and contests like this are only helping boost that exponentially. Brilliant stuff."

Wykrhm Reddy

"It was bloody hard picking from this list, I honestly enjoyed all of the entries. Keep up the good work guys!"

Cyborgmatt

Wow, that's really awesome. Please keep us at Valve informed so we can help draw attention to the winners, progress threads, etc.
    Some advice:
    Try to give some attention to heroes that are under-served so far (in terms of amount of content).
    The success of sets tracks well with the popularity of the hero. (Although popularity can vary between updates and as Icefrog changes balance.)
    Look for heroes that the community seems to have trouble creating content for. Good work can really open up the design landscape and help people think about the dynamic range of potential designs.
    Don't forget about single items (instead of full sets). Many of the most popular items in the game are single items. Mounts and weapons make good candidates for this, but it varies by hero.
    Mix up these approaches. So maybe one month you do a popular hero and another month you do a hero that has few items.

-Brandon Reinhart (Valve)

I love you guys for doing this! Dota2 is my favorite game at the moment and Polycount is my favorite community! I'm very proud to be apart of such dedicated artists and I smile every time I see some Polycount work in game

-coots7

Presentation

the presentation is a really important part on the workshop, save some time before the deadline for that. the first impression means a lot on the workshop.

If you want to fancy your presentation here is a the polycount logo over the aegis, there is no need of it to be used

http://puu.sh/1QtZy

Previous Months

AUGUST

JULY
    JUNE
    MAY
    APRIL
    MARCH
    FEBRUARY
    DECEMBER
    NOVEMBER
    OCTOBER
    SEPTEMBER
    AUGUST
    JULY
    JUNE
    MAY
    APRIL
    MARCH
    FEBRUARY
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished entries of Semptember

Spotted Snow Leopard by Pragmatic Fox

200x200.resizedimage

Drakoptera of Yama Raskav by Markovnikov

200x200.resizedimage

Syx the Nightcat by danpaz3d

tumblr_ncpdxeImJs1rwocuuo1_250.jpg

Storm Scarab of the Stormy Steppes by Voodoo [aka Baddcog]

Storm_Scarab_Set_200.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, the herolist was just copied from the last post on last month, If you guys want to work on other heroes that are not the same form last month pool just post it here and I can add to the herolist

Also, we may have some good news on the prizepool

And about the idea of getting ingame items for the prize, I can try to help on that and give one set I made to the winner, I have some spare genunine version of the lone druid's wolf hunter set
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    mirana missing
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    Don't forget Keeper!
  • tja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tja polycounter lvl 3
    Heroes with mounts:
    Str:
    Abaddon
    Chaos Knight
    Timbersaw

Agi:
    Gyro
    Luna
    Mirana

Int:
    Batrider
    Chen
    KotL

Ones i can think of
  • gamedivisionuk
    For mount creation are we allowed to use last months heroes
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markovnikov polycounter lvl 6
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    Guys, the herolist was just copied from the last post on last month, If you guys want to work on other heroes that are not the same form last month pool just post it here and I can add to the herolist

@gamedivisionuk: I think this means "no".
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    I am confused. Riders as in items for those who are riding or the mount? Because someone mentioned making a mount and that didn't make sense to me. I would appreciate some clarification.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    I am confused. Riders as in items for those who are riding or the mount? Because someone mentioned making a mount and that didn't make sense to me. I would appreciate some clarification.

updated with some new heroes and took off alchemist, it doesn't make much sense to me to have alchemist there since you cannot work on the mount
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then isn't this a Mounts theme? Why call it riders? Even more confused. Sorry!
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Then isn't this a Mounts theme? Why call it riders? Even more confused. Sorry!

It's heroes that ride stuff. You can either make a mount or you can make any of the other slots. That's why it's not called "mount theme". Also gyro's "mount" can't be changed :)

I've had an idea of making an "ammit" for Chen for a very long time :)
    According to Wikipedia:
    Ammit (/ˈ
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool. Then will have something to participate with from the Timbersaw set I am working on.
  • gamedivisionuk
    when viewing created items via the workshop before submitting is there anyway to view more than one item at a time,say for instance i have helm and sword i want to see those together in game on the character,because when i click additional items on the workshop its asking for mdl files
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Gamedivisionuk: If you've previewed the items in the past, there'll be temporary mdl files in the folder it takes you to, or the subfolder within that.
  • gamedivisionuk
    @Markovnikov
    i mean the items i create
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Gamedivisionuk: That's what I mean. Everytime you import/compile the mesh, textures and masks, it creates a temporary mdl file under the title you put in the "Item name" field. For example, say I make a legion sword, and want to see how it looks. I import the mesh and textures under the name "test". A temporary mdl file named "test" is created, which I can then apply onto the preview via the "Additional items option". You may have to click through one or two subfolders, but its there.
  • gamedivisionuk
    oh i see what your saying now,do you know were that folder is

thank you

@Gamedivisionuk: That's what I mean. Everytime you import/compile the mesh, textures and masks, it creates a temporary mdl file under the title you put in the "Item name" field. For example, say I make a legion sword, and want to see how it looks. I import the mesh and textures under the name "test". A temporary mdl file named "test" is created, which I can then apply onto the preview via the "Additional items option". You may have to click through one or two subfolders, but its there.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the "Additional Items" screen, there's an option to add for each of the slots. If you click on it, it should take you to a folder containing a subfolder which is a strign of letters and numbers. Click on that folder, and it should take you to a set of folders with the same names as your previewed items. Or to another string of letters and numbers. Either way, keep clicking down until you find the mdl you want.
  • gamedivisionuk
    its ok i found it.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool. Then will have something to participate with from the Timbersaw set I am working on.

Sorry Vayne, i got what confused you know and it makes total sense

It was supposed to be mounts but during the time we decided and the time i created the thread there was more discussion about it and looked like everyone decided for a slight change on the theme. It still keeps the mounts but also allows other items on the set, so people can try the mount and if it doesnt work they still can go for other item more on the confort zone

My bad not explaining that before

Also, good news, we are going to have more prizes on the end of the month =]]]]
    I will tell more soon
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool! Thanks Tvidotto! That clears it very well.
  • tja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tja polycounter lvl 3
    Damn it, I started on a CK helm, only find he was in last months competition.

Probably want to remove CK+Abaddon from the list heh.
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Cool, hopefully I'll have time to jump in this month too.
    Not enough mounts for Luna.. need moar
  • Vohla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto, I was really interested in some of your previous work, especially the KotL concepts for headpieces. You said one looked vaguely like King Triton and that sparked an idea. King Triton is based off Poseidon, God of the Sea, who created the first horse.

Most of KotL mounts are just straight up horses, what if someone was to do a mount based on the Water Kelpie of Scottish lore? I think it could make a really interesting water based mount for KotL. Keeper does make a wave of light after all...

The Kelpie take their victims into the water, devour them, and throw the entrails to the water's edge. Sounds pretty vicious.

I'm going to post your image as reference:

ib1hX0zJ36WyAX.jpg

Here is an image that I think is the best example of what I'm thinking. On the right:

nasty_horses_1_gallery.jpg
  • gamedivisionuk
    Is it ok to scale bones to fit the mount ,I thought it would be ok as you export with the bones maybe I'm wrong
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afoKp3r.png
    F8HANhO.png

Some rough blocking out for a Batrider mount. I'm hoping to make a sort of dragon/bat hybrid, but so far its feeling more like archeopteryx, which isn't a bad look either.
  • StuBurrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StuBurrito polycounter lvl 7
    @gamedivisionuk - Unfortunately, scaling bones hardly ever works! Either stick with the originals or you'll have to make your own.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for moving the post Tvidotto. Still think everyone should try a mount but good to have as many participants as possible.
    Maybe + points for mount, - points for luna mounts :)

The workshop selections need work Valve. I searched 'Mounts' and get a bunch of Luna, a few batriders and some Chaos mounts. Nothing else. Some Chins i guess. Some hero's like Disruptor you actually have to search the specific hero to get anything.
    Even worse is that the worskhop has sets that are in game but can't be purchased, must be for tourney sets. The workshop doesn't say they are in game, gotta search the wiki for that.

Have the base mesh done. subdividing it for nice smoothness, then will be sculpting details.

Storm%20beetle_wip_01.jpg
    Storm%20beetle_wip_02.jpg
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog, you got some super potential with that idea! Looking forward to final sculpt!
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    i would like to see t-rex like arms on this.
  • Aitnar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure I'll be able to participate this month. I have too much mandatory over time at work to do, and very little free time. :( (60hour work weeks) However, I can still give feedback! :D

@Baddcog - Very cool mount! However, it looks very forward heavy. Like it might just crash into the ground. :P You may want to give it some weights behind the legs, or tail. Something to balance it out.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks. I think I'm gonna be pushing it a bit on polycount so I don't think arms will happen. The count is 2150 for lod0 and 1500 (yikes) for low.
    I had thought about a large ball on the tail or something but i dunno. Maybe i can just thicken the tail a bit to make it feel heavier?
    Possibly shrink the head just a little bit too?

Also thinking of buying the dragon Luna set to add to the prize pool. I think it's the coolest mount I've seen so far so a fitting prize.
  • tja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tja polycounter lvl 3
    Any tutorials on rigging mounts? Im struggling with batriders mount. It doesnt seem to want to flap its wings.
  • Aitnar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Baddcog, I'd shrink the head about 10% and increase the tail by about 15%. See how that looks.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tja wrote: »
    Any tutorials on rigging mounts? Im struggling with batriders mount. It doesnt seem to want to flap its wings.

Any rigging tut should work for the program you are using.

Also, do they work in 3d program (which program?)? Just not in game? Or not in menu but in game?

----
    @Aitnar, will try that, thanks.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great baddcog!

I'll be going for my desert crocodile idea for Chen. Begun shaping out the form on the mount. Might be shaping it more similar to a Postosuchus this one won't look good.
    The progress so far.

X7NGWoq.png
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a8BfysY.png
    ICiEa0a.png

A bit more progress on the batrider mount. Its shaping up nicely, but I'm really concerned its not gong to look enough like a bat to really work. Any suggestions, besides adding bat ears (Already got that one planned)?

Also, I wasn't a huge fan of my dangly little legs, so I'm considering going for a more serpentine build. Thoughts?
  • Todestomate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick concept for a disruptor mount based on a betta-fish. if somebody wants to take it, message me :)
    zlCnuiZ.jpg

Edit:
    Badcog: I love the beetle concept! it looks great and works really well!

Markovnikov: I am sure it does not have to be strictly a bat, and making it more look like one could make the mount look similar to all the others and not stand out. I would rather make it more dinosaur-like so it stands out.
  • neupher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone!
    I made a couple of mount sketches for Mirana. I noticed she already has one wolf mount but was hoping to push this design to look little more like a dire wolf.
    Worth making another wolf mount for her?

wolf_Sketches.jpg

I was also wondering if it's possible to rotate and skin the neck bone of the original rig to fit the wold design on left (1), without completely messing up the original animations? Or is it preferable to try and stick with the skeletons original orientation and scale?

@Todestomate: Very unique looking design, really digging the colors too. I'd probably lean towards the red one.

@Markovnikov: Like Todestomate said, I wouldn't worry too much about having it look exactly like a bat, but it might help to decide on a design when you have some more stronger shapes there. Adding some angles around the joints and body structures will push out the features of ur creature more.
    I prefer the one with legs :)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Paskie, looking good. Is that the rein or just part of armor that touches shoulders?
    It seems like his mount has pretty tall shoulder. Might be abe to work armor/saddle in there?

@Markovnikov,
    Without the legs seems a bit blank. What about just having them tucked up close to his body (bent up of course). Will give a little more interest but still have 'proper' anatomy.
    Don't think it needs to look like a bat, better if it doesn't probably, there are already a few bats in game.
    Are the flaps next to body and neck staying? I think getting rid of the ones by the neck could give it more shape.

@Todestomate, Great idea. Definitely the one with the pink. The mount needs that extra color.

@neupher, best to stick with how the rig is.
    If you move the bones up, then when the mesh is matched to the animated bones it will actually have the opposite effect and your head will be looking straight up.
    Hard call on wolf or not. There are a lot of cats in game and on workshop. I think it really depends on how good it looks when done. if it's really bad ass then it could still have a good chance.

Ah this is why I love this place. I was happy with the scale of everything and had looked at it a bit. But after taking suggestions to rescale I can't believe I liked it as it was. Looks so much better this way.
    Head is 10% smaller, tail is 15% taller/longer (was already wide from top)

Still need to scale neck a little but...
    Made tail spike bigger. Think I will make the tail a bit longer still.
    beetle_rescale.jpg
  • Aitnar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Baddcog - That looks hell of a lot better! Looks far more believable. I agree with the statement you made about the neck as well. Looks like you're on track with a great model. Keep going. Also, could we get a top view of the model? just curious what it looks like from above.
  • tja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tja polycounter lvl 3
    I fixed the rig, I had loose vextex which seem to be the reason it was morphing the mesh.

[SKETCHFAB]e37838aa199149948a87ff3f305d11d5#share[/SKETCHFAB]

This is the model so far, Im learning a lot, Im having trouble with finding references from certain angles though.

Its a Spotted bat if anyone was wondering.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Baddcog, I'm going to use the default reins and of course a saddle. Figured it was better to sculpt the base first and then the saddle on top.
    Something like this.

ncEjFLX.png
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    @Paskie I'd be careful with the amount and size of the teeth. Less and bigger teeth will help a lot otherwise it will look gummy. I'd also open the mouth if possible. The rest of it is good.

Just a note. Something that I often do when making concepts/sketches is squinting at it frequently, or even blurring the image. It really gives you a quick idea of what looks important and what doesn't.

Try with the image above, squint and the teeth nearly disappear.

Something that I didn't know as much back when I made my CK mount was to really analyze the character/creature you want to make, and accentuate the key components (I really dislike what I did back then). Eyes of an owl, ears of a dog, beak of a bird, teeth of an alligator...

It really makes a difference when trying to create an appealing character. If you need some good examples, check out all the couriers on the store. Each of them has at least 1 memorable feature. I think it helps with the process of making a good character into a great one.

Also, don't be so quick to decide on a final concept. It's the most important part.
    A really important thing I've learn't is to not to rush it.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Completely agree with you there danpaz. Will try a bunch of different ideas and not sticking 100% to the concept and maybe more similar to a postosuchus like this in the end.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrnOY6O7GPLOp49JgE_X87kkvnkPjmVXlQnKj6_8N6rzj1_7y1
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Baddcog: Looking much better. I have to confess, I kind of like the thick neck (gives it a very "tanky" look) but I know its very impractical. Any thoguhts on the colour scheme?

@Todestomate: That red fish looks gorgeous. If I wasn't already involved in my own project, I'd be tempted to take a crack at yours.

@Neupher: I'm no expert on the subject, but I think meddling with the bones too much will cause some horrible issues. If you can make your own animations, you should be fine, but if you can't, then it might be best to stick to the given skeleton.

sC1u5VT.png

Urgh, three different attempts at legs and these are the best I can do. Have to admit, Baddcog, you were right about those neck pieces.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mark,
    I think you need doglegs. I was thinnking having them tight to the body for polycount. If they hang out you will waste a lot of tris.
    legs.jpg

@Paskie, I like it a lot. But yeah, maybe a bit snubbier nose and huge teeth. His mouth should open (I think all the stock mounts do), but that's gonna make a lot of teeth even tougher.
    I think the proportions are pretty good though.

Hows the tail compared to original mount. Too long and stiff might look weird as far as anims go.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm trying out some stuff with the legs too and the tail is going to be a hard one. Maybe have to add a bone or two for the tail. Have no clue about animation so that will interesting :D I don't think will be able to use this type of crocodile legs, will probably be more like a Triceratops legs in the end. The mouth on the default mount seems to be closed, will try op en and closed. Toying around with the teeth for now and will post some progress later.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, you're right, the mouth doesn't open. I wouldn't waste tris on it then. The tail does seem to have a few bones. Maybe if you just make yours a little stumpier, and only weight them like 50% to 20% (at the end) you will get some movement but nothing too weird.

I think the legs are fine, you might have to shape them a little different to fit the originals well but i dont think they are far off.

Some image dump...
    Made some good progress. Sculpt and LOD_0. Had to get rid of one leg spike to squeeze it. lod_1 is gonna be tough but I think I can do it.

Not sure if I should add scratches or anything to the blank areas. Don't want it to be noisy. The colors will be close to original. Darkish blue base for the shells. Pinkish dots. orange/gold horns/claws/spikes.
    beetle_sculpt.jpg

Here's an overhead angle, and every other angle too :) and a few of the regular mount to compare.
    beetle_lod_0_angles.jpg

I decided to purchase the new jade rabbit courier to add to the prize pool too.