Home General Discussion

Preferred Studio Layouts and Designs

We've recently been discussing the possibility of updating our workspace here at the studio so I'm looking around for different ideas and inspiration. What kind of layout do you all prefer for a studio? Pods, cubicles, open pits, separate offices, etc...? How about general asthetics? Modern, industrial, cozy, etc...?

Any input would be great and images would be awesome.

Cheers!

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    My preferred work station:

latest?cb=20120509191432

Honestly though, open pit or pods with like 6+ artists in them. The closer artists are together, the better the feedback/inspiration, imo. And yes, I like it dark! :D
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I like working with multiple people of the same discipline in an enclosed office with space between desks. It gives you a bit of separation from the rest of the team so the environment is focused on your area of expertise, and makes it easier to have fast communication between team members who should be working together anyway.

Barring actual offices, focused pits or pods are probably the next best thing.

I absolutely hate open or cubicle layouts; it's too easy for the wrong people to just drop by your desk and kill your concentration. Open layouts also make it harder to get good light levels for different disciplines, which is a problem when you have programmers and artists in the same space.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We typically have rooms/pods with 6-8 artists, but we recently knocked down a few walls and combined several of these rooms into a larger 30-ish person room, and I'm really digging that. Its just one area, so the whole studio isn't "open floor plan" but its really rad to be sitting in a big room with the people I need to work the most with all day. Not just Artists, but a mix of Artists, Designers, and Tech Artists.

Thought it would get too loud in there but its really not bad at all.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Agreed with Swizzle about the enclosed disciplines. If actual office spaces aren't manageable the next best would be open cubicle areas with pits of artists or whatnot.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    we have open floorplans with up to 30 people and I don't really like it. Light or A/C settings pretty much affect everyone. Unless people whisper, noise affects everyone. Unless you have people around which are extremely mindful of each other it's going to be annoying.
    "Easy for communication" pretty much means that everyone can interrupt you all the time, and that people yell to each other across the office. Getting focused work done, especially programming, is not easy.

As for design - keep it simple and let each person customize their workspace. I know some people who have desks like toy stores, but personally I'm the total opposite. I like distraction free. Give people the choice about decoration, and if possible lighting too - e.g. allow desk lamps or let people choose between standing lamps, overhead neon or whatever works for them.

Also have people put plants on their desks - it really makes everything look much nicer and more calm.

If you can't stay away from open floor plans, then provide enough meeting rooms, or lounges, where people can quickly retire (ideally without an annoying "booking" procedure), so that discussions happen there and not at the office floor where they annoy everyone else.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    gsokol wrote: »
    Thought it would get too loud in there but its really not bad at all.

Really depends on the acoustics of the room, low ceilings can really intensify the noise.

I agree with Kwramm, I worked in a similar environment. Putting on headphones to drown out the noise takes the place of cubicle walls. There are a lot of studies that show it kills productivity and increases stress. Give everyone little sheds like Pixar!
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    At Sony in SD we had pods. Up to 6 people in a section. The artist were in a darker section of the studio. My pod had only 3 people (lucky) and it was nice and roomy. At Midway I had my own office, then shared it afterwards, it was nice.

Now at Ubisoft in Osaka, it's the open office thing. I hate it. I really, really do. I wish they did pods or something. I don't like the lighting and the layout. No place to meet, talk, private space, eat or relax.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Swizzle wrote: »
    I absolutely hate open or cubicle layouts; it's too easy for the wrong people to just drop by your desk and kill your concentration. Open layouts also make it harder to get good light levels for different disciplines, which is a problem when you have programmers and artists in the same space.

Oh yeah Im in a situation like this at the moment, Light issues are a pain here because of MASSIVE windows so we have blinds but they cant stop the sun really.

My favourite studio lay out so far was splitting up into different medium sized rooms based on your team and the feature or game you are working on. Means you are all isolated from the chaos of the big open office but close enough to the people that matter to chat and figure out solutions on the fly with no pressure of scheduling meetings etc. Producers would probably find this a bit annoying as they would keep having to check on us and what we are doing haha.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    We were asked recently what we'd like for a studio revamp. I think getting rid of the horrible office strip lights was the thing everyone agrees on. Up lighting is the way to go, get some nice floor lamps in. We are open plan atm but I love having a wall beside me to put reference on so I'd probably prefer Pods or a space that I can personalise.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Seriously, open plan offices are provably awful. And I hate them :(
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    re: pods - what is meant here - a bunch of desks simply clumped together, sectioned off with walls or room dividers from the rest of the office? or is it all still open, just islands of desks instead of endless rows?

i have mostly worked in offices of 3 - 6 people from the same or related discipline which was always good. never worked in true open office environments as such but i know plenty who do and they all seem to despise it more or less openly. :)

for me, noise-concerns aside, movement in my peripheral vision really takes me out of it.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Open plans are god awful. I've done a few "war room" type settings in the past and they are terrible for focused work. All the yelling, talking, laughing, random visits, etc. Ugh.

Small offices with 3-5 people who are of the same work types as you works decently altho still not ideal. If you have someone who is a chronic talker and the others aren't, it can get annoying.

I prefer a solo office altho I never really had that until I left Epic. :P
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    I hate open plan 'pit' offices, although it's been many years since I was able to work in anything else. I'd like to have my own office, but I doubt I'll get that unless/until I go total freelance or self-employed. It seems like open offices are super common these days.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    thomasp wrote: »
    re: pods - what is meant here - a bunch of desks simply clumped together, sectioned off with walls or room dividers from the rest of the office? or is it all still open, just islands of desks instead of endless rows?

I've seen this. It's utter nonsense, especially if the dividers aren't even taller than your monitors.

Unless management realizes that lost productivity, decreased quality and lower employee satisfaction weighs more than the cost of some cheap walls, open office plans will stay with us.
  • Kitty|Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    woking-in-a-coffee-shop.jpg

Cant really bare being in an office for more than a few days-weeks anymore, spent the amount of years I could stand being in one.
    not that it is super important for my work to have constant communication with other teams and skype exists.

Maybe I'm the opposite to a lot of people, but I actually find having the freedom to move around and experience places whilst working makes me more productive/inspired. I've definitely noticed I do better work than when stuck in an office, probably because I'm happier/more relaxed sitting in the sun than under a flickering fluorescent light.

ofcourse it relies on people being happy with me delivering work in this way, but saying that if it all goes tits up, I will be determined to find a way to keep my freedom. maybe sell a kidney,
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say... just tolerable workspace is a 4 man cubicle/pod, ideal is a 2 man office. I find visual distraction worse to deal with than noise, but personally in the workplace I wear headphones 90% of the day. People regularly moving about and passing behind you... that's one of the worst distractions. Lighting is way way of more importance than aesthetics for me, but then nothing says corporate like white and polished metal, quite a big no no for a creative environment. Everybody should be able to control their personal space light levels.

Kind of amazed that you're given the opportunity to have a decent input into your workplace =o

Edit No.2. Just realised you work with Mr.Distraction himself, Philip Simmons, Sean. Say hi for me haha.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Kitty|Owl wrote: »
    woking-in-a-coffee-shop.jpg

depends on how you work i suppose. hanging out in a coffee shop with a bunch of monitors, intuos or cintiq and a capable machine to run all that stuff on does not seem so feasible. ;) this picture looks like hipster bait. "media studies" or web design?
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I've enjoyed pod-based layouts, currently in open space office and (as others have pointed out) it sucks major doo-doo. The only thing I'd watch out for when it comes to pod layouts is that you try and mix and match designers, artists etc. together, specially if they are working on the same areas / section of the game.

Open-office sucks!
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    At Sony SCEA San Diego the artists are in an open plan "art room." I don't like it at all, I get distracted all the time. Just had to buy over ear noise cancelling headphones to try and drown out some of the chatter.
    What building are you in? It used to be the PODS stuff...
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thanks for the input! I'm leaning towards pods/offices myself, glad to see that seems to be the consensus.

firestarter - Hahaha, yup, I'll make sure to say hi when he swings by my desk on his daily distraction run.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Love the open pod environment.

We have pods of 4 people that are open, BUT we all have chest high wall that block your view of other pods so you are not super distracted. When you are sitting down, you cannot really see the other pods and it allows you to focus on your work, when you stand you can easily have a conversation with the other pods.

I think this is the best of both worlds, it removes the closed offness of an office but doesn't have all the pitfalls of a fully open office.

People in each pod are a good 10 feet from eachother with ample desk space. No one is jammed up next to eachother, but just turning around I can easily see what my texture artist is taking about on his monitor or hear what he has to say without being stuck within annoying arm length of someone.

We had fully open/no wall environment at Bungie with desks only 3 feet from eachother and I would occasionally find that distracting. But even still, with headphones you can remove a lot of that and I think the openness of things is far better for collaboration than being closed off in an office.

An office is just a huge barrier for people and removes a lot of quick impromptu meetings that for ND have always benefited the project. Our Creative Director sits in an open pod instead of being in an office he could have for that ease of apporacbility and open collaboration.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Autocon wrote: »
    Love the open pod environment.

We have pods of 4 people that are open, BUT we all have chest high wall that block your view of other pods so you are not super distracted. When you are sitting down, you cannot really see the other pods and it allows you to focus on your work, when you stand you can easily have a conversation with the other pods.

I think this is the best of both worlds, it removes the closed offness of an office but doesn't have all the pitfalls of a fully open office.

Yep, I 100% agree with this. I've moved about 5 times in 4 months, and the pods type setting was awesome (I'm actually moving to them again next week :D). It was great to work in a pod with like-minded artists and I think encouraged more collaboration vs. cubicles.

My least favorite was definitely the hallway/open area. With a completely open space I found that people will decide to have meetings wherever and it can be super frustrating to have people talking right next to your desk without actually talking to you.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    We've got a big "pit" here with all short-wall cubicles. It can get pretty distracting. I've always thought something like the way Firaxis is set up would be awesome. (Skip to 1min in to see it.) I'd have to love my roomies though.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzc8HGvByW4[/ame]
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Just make sure to have no separating doors. Having people isolated in different rooms is usually bad and nobody wants to be the strange guy opening the door for no reason other than walking in and checking out whats going on