Home General Discussion

Xbox and Oculus Partner to Change the Face of Virtual Reality

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
littleclaude quad damage
Xbox and Oculus Partner to Change the Face of Virtual Reality

When you by a Rift headset you will get and XBOX controller.

http://news.xbox.com/2015/06/xbox-xbox-and-oculus-partner-to-change-the-face-of-virtual-reality

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTDnVQgICl4[/ame]

oculus_hero.jpg?h=520&w=940

If you would like more Virtual Reality News/Games/Products Thread, then here you are - http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2310661#post2310661

Replies

• MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    really not happy about the xbox controller bundle in. I've been using that as a stopgap for the last 2 years and its not a good VR input system. The only plus is that everyone will have one so the devs know that they can actively support it. For traidtional games it'l work great, but not so much for new VR experiences.
    The hand trackers are what i really want, hopefully they reveal more details about when those are going to ship soon.
  • Aabel
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    HTC Vive it is then.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    hm, so how do you plan on navigating through environments with hand waving?

i agree though that a game controller is not a good solution, mainly due to accuracy. those thumbsticks are absolute abortions for fine movement and since you can't see the face buttons while wearing the headset, confidently hitting that Y button when it counts is not easy at all.
    reduces the number of buttons and button combinations you can pull off quite severely.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    MikeF wrote: »
    The hand trackers are what i really want, hopefully they reveal more details about when those are going to ship soon.

+1

Also, I hope someone again picks up the idea of Nintendo's power glove and brings it to the 21st century.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I'm sure within a month or two of the Rift being out there will be mods to let you use a PS4 controller, or hell, maybe even an N64 controller!

Not a fan of the offset joysticks of the Xbox, never have been. Will wait till I can use my Dualshock :)
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    thomasp wrote: »
    The trackers also have analog sticks so no problem there. Though if you really wanted to you could use just hand gestures to navigate leap motion style (tho very shitty hahahah)

Autocon: you can use any controller you want really, its just a matter of the engine itself supporting it. so if the dualshock works with the game natively then it shouldnt be a problem.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17

We built a prototype for this using Kinect when I was working at Microsoft - it can work reasonably well if you're smart about it.

Either way, this is a weird move given Oculus have their own controller in the works and the 360 pad isn't that great.
  • tadpole3159
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    That whole virtual room thing had me in fits of laughter. Penny arcade sums it up best
    i-mx7RHfL-1050x10000.jpg

Here's the real thing from yesterdays presser

oculus-xbox.0.gif
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Autocon wrote: »
    I'm sure within a month or two of the Rift being out there will be mods to let you use a PS4 controller, or hell, maybe even an N64 controller!

Not a fan of the offset joysticks of the Xbox, never have been. Will wait till I can use my Dualshock :)

As has been mentioned, the rift cares just about as much about the controller as your current monitor does :)
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    ambershee wrote: »
    We built a prototype for this using Kinect when I was working at Microsoft - it can work reasonably well if you're smart about it.

but the problem remains that you cannot see your physical environment when wearing the headset? time to completely clear out the mancave? :)

also i doubt walking around in your living room will become the standard method for traversing in video games. but at least obesity would be taken care of this way.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    MikeF wrote: »
    The trackers also have analog sticks so no problem there. Though if you really wanted to you could use just hand gestures to navigate leap motion style (tho very shitty hahahah)

i see now. hadn't looked at their controller previously at all. together with hand motion readout this should be pretty confusing to walk with when your avatar's upper body motion can be performed naturally, the lower body still steers like a tank. stretch your arm out to aim at something, then press the tumbstick forward to walk? :) but looking forward to seeing what they actually do with it.
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Oculus Reveals Its Unusual Rift VR Controller, Oculus Touch
    http://www.e3expo.com/takeover

2882120-1.jpg

2882183-oculus-touch-4.jpg

2882181-oculus-touch-2.jpg
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    but the problem remains that you cannot see your physical environment when wearing the headset? time to completely clear out the mancave? :)

also i doubt walking around in your living room will become the standard method for traversing in video games. but at least obesity would be taken care of this way.

Err, what? I'm replying to your own post about moving through an environment through hand and arm gestures. Nobody said anything about walking around a room, where the heck did you get that from?

Anyway, the solution is glaringly obvious: don't make games that require a player to walk.
  • soulstice
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Not a fan of the xbone controllers, but I can definately see why they would do that. It's a strong partnership for Oculus and Microsoft... I wonder what this will mean for the Vive and future of Steam's stranglehold on pc games.

Either way I'm really excited for VR, things will be changing in alot of ways very soon! :)
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    oculus-xbox.0.gif
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6eRqMiAxQ0[/ame]
  • SonicBlue
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    So, according to them "Xbox One games will be playable on Oculus Rift. We shared earlier this year that you’ll be able to stream your Xbox One games to your Windows 10 PC or tablet. Now, we’re happy to announce that we’re bringing the same Xbox One streaming capability to the Rift, a feature that’s only possible through Windows 10. You can play your favorite Xbox One games, like Halo, Forza, Sunset Overdrive and more, on your own virtual reality cinema screen. It’s just like playing in a private theater, and you can even play with your friends through Xbox Live."

This means that you need an Xbox One, and a Windows PC to be able to play games with Oculus Rift?

and

That they will be playable only in your pretended Gouraud shaded living room?

I fail to see the sense to have a virtual reality headset simulating a living room while being in a living room, unless you live in a favela.

What's the real resolution of the game played, 1/4 of the maximum Oculus Rift output? Ping time?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE6GtnAXQSs[/ame]
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    That whole virtual room thing had me in fits of laughter. Penny arcade sums it up best
    i-mx7RHfL-1050x10000.jpg

Here's the real thing from yesterdays presser

oculus-xbox.0.gif

Didn't really watch the video, but maybe the idea is that you could forgo the use of a monitor altogether, even in games that don't actually support the oculus, by basically creating a giant VR monitor.
    Or more realistically, just use a practical 17-inch or so monitor in reality, and use some six-foot VR monitor for playing games that doesn't actually occupy real space in your room or cost you several thousand dollars.
  • Jeremy Mitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Mitchell polycounter lvl 6
    haha I love this. 2882181-oculus-touch-2.jpg

This is a friend of mine. He's an environment artist at Oculus. Worked on Halo 4 and stuff.

hahahaha so awesome.
  • SideEffect
    Offline / Send Message
    SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
    Have you guys seen this?
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWxiURvaJe4[/ame]

Just started working here. The VR world is pretty crazy.
    This all tracks with magnetics instead of cameras like Oculus and Vive.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSObZQhZ8Gs[/ame]
  • Aabel
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6

Doesn't have to be hand waving, there are other avenues open.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIVAhM8YJPo&feature=share&fb_ref=Default[/ame]

Accurate estimations of the center of mass open up the ability to move naturally while standing in place.

Actually it doesn't have to be all that accurate to work well enough for games

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNygP13hNYg[/ame]

Personally I would have rather seen Microsoft bundle a Kinect 2 for windows with the Rift instead of console controller.
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah i've had a stem on pre-order for a long time now. They're a year late on delivering anything and keep the backers in the dark so i'm losing hope. The magnetic tracking is way more desirable for me since you dont have to worry about camera occlusion but if they dont produce a product soon no one will bother supporting it.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I don't think a Kinect could actually work well with VR, with the massive amount of latency it has.
  • tristan1590
    Offline / Send Message
    tristan1590 polycounter lvl 3
    Oculus partnering even to this degree with microsoft may give them a foot above sony which is just proprietary. I haven't seen much about it, but supposedly their headset is supposed to be even better than Oculus? Who knows for sure though.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    That Forza video killed any momentum they had lol. oh my I cannot believe that, I honestly thought it was a joke. Why would anyone want to play in a virtual room ?
  • Aabel
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    It's possible the latency of the kinect2 might be too high to make it good for a locomotion controller, but it has been used by the omni and wizdish teams as a sensor. I haven't used it myself, but I figure it's worth a try.