Home Technical Talk

Export tiles individually

CreativeSheep
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
I have an object with 5 tiles, I made six tiles in Maya, as I read it is better, why it's better, I dunno, maybe someone wants to clear the air on this matter ?

When I export the snapshot template of the UV tiles, instead of a series of image files of each tile that are either 4K or 8K I get one big image file that is 4K in size, it is probably less resource hungry if I export the tiles as a series of 4K images, rather then one big 20K image into an image editor, but how can this be done ?

Replies

• oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    the snapshot feature will only export the uvs from the 0-1 area...
    i would suggest to use mudbox or mari to export the uv snap if you like to use a 2D paintng app... but if you have to paint 5 tiles its better tu use a 3D painter...
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu wrote: »
    the snapshot feature will only export the uvs from the 0-1 area...
    i would suggest to use mudbox or mari to export the uv snap if you like to use a 2D paintng app... but if you have to paint 5 tiles its better tu use a 3D painter...

I could do that method, I suppose I may have too when working with multi-tile UV's as there isn't a script that could do this. :(
  • seb3d
    Offline / Send Message
    seb3d polycounter lvl 10
    it´s a pain if you have to do it often (maybe it could be scripted) but you are aware of the option to specify the uv range? i.e. v always 0-1 but u 0-1, 1-2, 2-3 etc!
  • seb3d
    Offline / Send Message
    seb3d polycounter lvl 10
    disclaimer: i´m a scripting noob!

but something like this could work. adjust to your needs:
    for($i=0;$i<5;$i++)
    {
    uvSnapshot -aa -uMin $i -uMax ($i+1) -vMin 0 -vMax 1 -n ("D:\\your\\project\\path\\images\\outUV_100" + $i + ".tga") -xr 2048 -yr 2048 -r 255 -g 255 -b 255 -o -ff tga;
    }

• CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    I changed the path, I'm hoping I must keep in the double back-slashes between folders, correct ? Otherwise I'm getting a syntax error on line 4.0, although looking at your code, from what I understand of MEL, it looks fine.