Home Technical Talk

Re: Best practices for posing character models...

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
punchface polycounter lvl 6
Ladies and gents,

I have neither the time in my life nor the desire to be a rigger or animator. Given this, what do you all think would be the "best practice" for taking a character model out of its "T-pose" and putting it (from fingers etc. on up) in other more interesting and portfolio-worthy poses?

I'm not afraid of getting my feet wet messing around with biped or bone systems but I don't want to spend a million years digging around in the niggling intricacies of it all unless absolutely necessary.

respect,

pf

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Biped in 3ds Max looks like a simple enough solution to me. Or you can use Transpose Tool in Zbrush to pose your character.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    the human ik rig is also a good solution to get something to pose...
  • chronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chronic polycounter lvl 10
    My method is to make a basic skeleton for a character and bind with default weighting. then I set a keyframe for the joints in bind-pose, and a keyframe in my desired pose. moving back and forth between these two positions I can smooth and fine tune the skin weights to make things look good for the single pose without worrying about whether it would be good for animation.

-I take care with joint placement as that can have a big impact on how natural a character looks posed
    -I don't make any controls (just rotate the joints) except in certain circumstances where simple leg ik's can help posing (don't forget to keyframe the ik's too)
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    punchface polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks, y'all!