Home General Discussion

Mari and Modo Indie available now on Steam

Hello,

If you've ever wanted a version of Mari and Modo for personal and Indie use you're in Luck!

We've just released Mari and Modo indie on the Steam store.

Modo Indie On Steam
Mari Indie on Steam

Get more information from our website here

With Mari at $149.99 and Modo at $299.99 (or less with our 25% launch discount) these version provide the all of the tools of the commercial versions with absolutely no commercial limitations if you're an indie (more information in the link) (i.e. if you earn a million bucks using them, good for you :D )

You can even get both as a bundle for $379.99 (or less with the %25 launch discount)

I'll be hanging around for a while to answer questions.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtiLp_lUiQg"]Mari Indie Preview[/ame]
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dklWENcYnX8"]Modo Indie Preview[/ame]

Replies

• haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    So are there any software restrictions in Modo Indie? Interested in the subscription.
  • jgreasley
    So are there any software restrictions in Modo Indie? Interested in the subscription.

There are some software restrictions in both Mari and Modo but the tool set is the same as the full version.

Mari

Project file (.mra) linked to Steam account / cannot be shared with other users
    Export texture resolution size limited to 4k and 8-bit color per channel
    Allowed export formats: .psd, .png, .tga, .jpg
    Output formats no longer available .exr, .tif, .tiff, .hdr, .dds, and .ptx
    Python scripting disabled
    2 Texture patches per object, but unlimited channels and layers.
    Object count is limited to 3 objects
    Custom shaders not allowed

Modo

Commercial for-profit use allowed for individual use, or individuals of a sole-proprietorship organization where only one license of each variant is allowed
    OBJ and FBX export limit expanded to 100k polys
    Source (.lxf) files are encrypted and locked to an individual Steam user ID/license
    Limited Bake and Render resolution to 4k
    Export is FBX and OBJ only
    Can only save in .lxf format, although can still import all formats.
    Image save formats limited to .png and .jpg, .tiff and .exr
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    If you're going to disable custom shaders, is there any chance you could add a shader for PBR renderers that use a metallic channel, optionally with a secondary specular tweak map? It would be a lot nicer for those of us on UE4, since we'll have to do much less layer linking to put the metallic map together. Also it would be really super nice to be able to bake normals at 16 bits in Modo, as 8-bit bakes tend to have banding problems. Other bakes are fine at 8 bits to be quite honest.

If you want details on how to put together a shader with a metallic and specular-tweak map like UE4 has you can PM me or ask for it in this thread. I'd be happy to help in any way I can, as I've implemented something like it before.

Cheers, and thank you for the reasonably priced releases.
  • jgreasley
    Re: A more UE like shader, this is something that is on our todo list. We'll look at including it in a update soon.

Glad you like it. I've been spending a lot of time lurking on here and talking to people to put this together.
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    the mari deal looks really good...
  • ironbearxl
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Hi jack, can I get an upgrade discount if I already bought modo steam edition?
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    So awesome! I already had Modo SE, and they gave me a free upgrade to the Indie version. I love you guys. I've been content using Blender, but I guess I'll give Modo another go.
    ironbearxl wrote: »

Modo SE isn't even being sold anymore; Indie replaced it. You should already have the Indie version in your library.
  • BladeEvolence
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    So awesome! I already had Modo SE, and they gave me a free upgrade to the Indie version. I love you guys. I've been content using Blender, but I guess I'll give Modo another go.

Modo SE isn't even being sold anymore; Indie replaced it. You should already have the Indie version in your library.

We are happy to help out all of the loyal MODO SE users. We listened to your concerns and have brought out MODO and MARI Indie!
  • KeithC
    Offline / Send Message
    KeithC polycounter lvl 7
    Quick question. Being that this is coming from Steam; do you need an "always on" internet connection to use either Modo or Mari Indie?
  • jgreasley
    ironbearxl wrote: »

Even better, you get Modo Indie for free! It should be added to your stream account automatically.
  • jgreasley
    KeithC wrote: »
    Quick question. Being that this is coming from Steam; do you need an "always on" internet connection to use either Modo or Mari Indie?

I just checked and it seemed to work when my Wifi was turned off.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-agcb-2555

:)
  • MeshMagnet
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    One thing that bothers me about the Modo limitations is you can only export out max 100k poly files. I like to bake in XNormal and my HiPoly files are usually in the millions.

Also, in Modo, no saving to .tga format? That's always what I've been saving as :/

Anyway, thanks for putting together a deal like this, I'm definitely interested, but I sometimes hesitate when there are little restrictions like that...
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I may just pick up Mari Indie now as well.
  • KeithC
    Offline / Send Message
    KeithC polycounter lvl 7
    That's good to hear. If anyone has any alternate experience, I'd like to hear it. Did you shut down your net, then turn off M-Indie and start it back up? Just wary about purchasing a product like this that may need an internet connection to function fully.

Other than that; sounds like a winner to me, even at the non-discounted price. I suppose a way around the issue MeshMagnet is talking about, is to learn Modo's baking tools?
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's the right way to do it until Modo supports more tangent spaces out of the box. Not sure how the 8-bit-per-channel limitation will impact that workflow though, maybe I will grab the demo of Modo's full version when I get home and see if it passes my stress tests.
  • WarrenM
    I've been doing that. It works really well and only involves xNormal briefly, which is great for my sanity. :P
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Finally, the cat's out of the bag.

This is a good intro into Modo and Mari, both commercially viable. Sub or perpetual license. Its not as ball breaking and limited at the Steam Edition, all Steam Edition owners get auto upgraded to Indie.

My sources say theres a planned full version upgrade path probably in the works so, for those of you who are modo curious... this is perfect.

Now Maya LT will have to catch up a bit with the competitive pricing.
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Is Mesh Fusion usable with this version?
  • WarrenM
    Does MODO Indie support scripts? A friend wants to try it out but without scripts it would be kind of pointless.
  • ironbearxl
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome, it's there!
    modo-yay.jpg
  • jgreasley
    What exactly does that mean? No nodal shading?

You can't register custom GLSL shaders with Mari via the Python API. This is an advanced feature in the full version that lets people match the Mari viewport to their in game shaders .
  • jgreasley
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Does MODO Indie support scripts? A friend wants to try it out but without scripts it would be kind of pointless.

Scripting is disabled in Modo Indie. Could you explain a bit why this is a show stopper for your friend?
  • igi
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Quite interesting news :) No targa support is a weird limitation though. Does modo indie supports scripts?

edit: WarrenM beat me to it, quite sad news. I can't think of making my way with modo without using scripts (hint: farfarers vertex normal toolkit, seneca scripts), and some of other game-devs I know would think the same.
  • jgreasley
    igi wrote: »
    Quite interesting news :) No targa support is a weird limitation though. Does modo indie supports scripts?

Modo Indie doesn't currently support scripting.
  • WarrenM
    Scripting is disabled in Modo Indie. Could you explain a bit why this is a show stopper for your friend?
    It's not so much a show stopped as it is the fact that he won't be experiencing MODO in the same way as he would with the full version demo. I, and every other MODO user I know, use a ton of scripts and have hot keys bound to everything under the sun.

I mean, I'm talking from an eval point of view. It's certainly usable without scripts ... it's just not a good eval version which is what he'd be buying it for. :P

But maybe that's coming at it from the wrong angle.
  • Ispheria
    Offline / Send Message
    Ispheria polycounter lvl 3
    So what exactly is the indie version? is it just 801 with limits? or is it a separate build from 801? and lets say 901 comes out, does it get updated to 901 or does it just stay at 801?
  • igi
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    modo have the most intuitive modeling, uving and rendering abilities in the app market imo. Also probably within the latest version it's pretty possible to handle vertex normals without need of scripts and thinking of whole other cool stuff modo supports(though not game-artist oriented but still a lot) this pricetag is quite impressive for sure.
  • jgreasley
    Ispheria wrote: »
    So what exactly is the indie version? is it just 801 with limits? or is it a separate build from 801? and lets say 901 comes out, does it get updated to 901 or does it just stay at 801?

These versions are based off Modo 801 and Mari 2.6. They will be updated in parallel with the full versions but not always at exactly the same time.
  • Ispheria
    Offline / Send Message
    Ispheria polycounter lvl 3
    jgreasley wrote: »
    These versions are based off Modo 801 and Mari 2.6. They will be updated in parallel with the full versions but not always at exactly the same time.

ok cool, thanks for the answer. I'll consider picking it up
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Would be nice to see maybe some scripts find their way in as a kind of official dlc. There is a big pull when it comes to using some of Seneca's scripts, plus the vertex normal toolkit by farfarer.
  • jgreasley
    We're very keen to hear about the functionality you'd like in Indie. This includes functionality provided by 3rd parties.
  • WilliamVaughan
    Offline / Send Message
    WilliamVaughan greentooth
    Awesome news and what an amazing deal. Thanks for the release of the Indie versions.
  • jgreasley
    Warren got a pretty good point. I mean, Steam is a community thing, especially in the indie scene, and scripts are just that; a community thing. And Modo Indie users will definitely not understand the full power of Modo, even if the stock version is already awesome.

The ability to create custom scripts for Modo Indie would be welcome. It would definitely help Modo Indie to get bigger, more popular, etc.

Mesh Fusion would be welcome as well, but I can live without that.

Thanks for the feedback. We are listening and I'll make sure your comments are noted.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe scripting can cause potential workarounds as far as the limitations go, thus the reasoning for not having it. Unfortunately, scripting is also a pretty big part of how we work, think even interact.

Maya LT now has scripting right? If so I wonder how they found a workaround to keep export limits from getting bypassed... unless its strictly MEL.

On that note:
    There's also a Q and A going on via the steam chat in the Modo Indie hub. Feel free to join in as well. Its also a good hang out spot.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    I know that not having access to Farfarer's vertex normal toolkit would be a deal breaker to me. I'm not too keen on having to export my low-poly models to Blender to edit hard/soft edges with a nice GUI when I could just do everything in Blender anyway. You can even do foliage normals in it if you're using mont29's branch.

Something that you could do if you want to limit scripting while preventing people from circumventing the Modo Indie limitations via scripts would be to create a repository of white-listed scripts on your website. You could compute and encrypt the hashes of these scripts and compare those hashes to those of the scripts in the repository that Modo and Mari are able to run. Since you'll only have access to the secret key for adding new script hashes, only you will be able to add new scripts and addons. It's still not an ideal solution, though, because you'll then have to have some way to know if a script is updated and it could take a bit of time to re-review the plugin and get the update out. It's a high-cost, heavy-handed solution, but it would help placate those of us who would like to run some plugins. Maybe you could alleviate the cost of building a new part of your website for whitelist approval and updates by using the steam workshop for plugin curation instead, but you'd definitely have to build some functionality on top of that.

Scripting would also be nice to have in Mari for custom noise generators, although it's much, much less of a show-stopper.

I know that for me Blender with no addons is nicer and more capable than Modo with no addons, and Blender does have some pretty nice addons and you can both run and write scripts, so please pardon me if I only get a Mari license for now. :>
  • jgreasley
    Thanks for the comments. I'll make sure they get to the right people.
  • KeithC
    Offline / Send Message
    KeithC polycounter lvl 7
    Heard back from MutantPixel about the online connection being required:

https://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=3&t=94645&page=1
  • weee
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    whats the strength of Modo indie to Maya LT besides price in modeling, texturing, animating and rendering?
    its been quite a bit of fuss around Modo lately.
  • MeshMagnet
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    Honestly though, I feel you guys should give the Indy guys the full features as the commercial versions. Most of us Indy guys aren't making commercial studio kind of money, we simply can't afford the full package price. I'm tempted to pick these up, but the limitations like not being able to use 3rd party scripts is kind of a deal breaker. :/ Mesh fusion was one of the reasons I was drawn to Modo in the first place.
  • jgreasley
    We understand that you guys need a lower price point hence the indie range. If we don't limit the features, or the commercial usage, we don't have any way to differentiate the Indy version from full price.

We are listening though. Coming up with a solution that meets everyone's requirements might take some tuning. Your feedback is key to that process.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    While the deal seems interesting, I would highly suggest you guys to monitor the way users are reacting to MayaLT. It did seem like a great deal at first, especially after the update allowing for obj import/export ... but after evaluating it for a few months I personally got burnt by it way too many times to justify keeping my subscription to it. (to be more precise : I am keeping it in order to release training material for it, but I am not using the program to produce actual work).

I fit perfectly within the scope of the target audience, but not being able to exchange native files with regular Maya users + the arbitrary export limitations basically made this limited version of the program pretty much unusable for me. I powered through a test project with it, but eventually ended switching over to Blender which seems to be able to cover all my needs without any arbitrary limitations.

I'd go as far as saying that I don't see any good reason for such limitations in the first place. I think It could all be solved by requesting big studios to purchase fully priced licenses, while letting indie users enjoy the full feature set at a lower price point.

Having to launch a 3D program through Steam can be a bit of an issue too. I understand that it comes with the territory, but I know that I do get a weird feeling every time I launch ModoSE because I have to make the extra effort of disabling game alerts for it.

That being said, I hope I didn't sound too aggressive ! I sincerely wish for a good solution to be found.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    weee wrote: »
    whats the strength of Modo indie to Maya LT besides price in modeling, texturing, animating and rendering?
    its been quite a bit of fuss around Modo lately.

Well, naturally modeling on its own is a pretty big pull. Modo's modeling tools are extremely good. Really just all of the tools are very smart in their design.

Um lets see, the retopology tab gives you that 3d coat like retopology functionality, can be used in the normal modeling tab as well via the topology pen. Texture painting which, even though you mention isnt in Maya LT. It has some decent multi_rez sculpting tools as well which allows for very clean sculpts, not on par with zbrush naturally.

Full Animation and Rendering, which you mention is still worth noting since they are not fully featured in Maya LT.

You get particles and dynamics to work with as well. The layer stack and shader tree offers a unique workflow over Maya LT. Since Modo indie is built off 801, you can also work with nodes.

Really you just get so much more, all tightly integrated and intelligently designed. Not to mention that that smooth edge shader that pretty much lets you bake out maps that make your low poly look welded together and with subd.

I'd say the most notable thing Maya LT has over Modo Indie is the real time viewport rendering, viewport 2.0. Modo is still running an older version of openGL, no real time shadows or any of that snaz. I'm going to guess that might be address with Modo 901, which if its like last year will come around Marchish maybe?
    pior wrote: »
    I ended up powering through a test project with it, but eventually ended switching over to Blender which seems to be able to cover all my needs without any arbitrary limitations.

I'd go as far as saying that I don't see any good reason for such limitations in the first place. I think It could all be solved by requesting big studios to purchase fully priced licenses, while letting indie users enjoy the full feature set at a lower price point.

That being said, I hope I didn't sound too aggressive ! I sincerely wish for a good solution to be found.

I could be wrong on this, but I believe the polycount limit, at least for Maya LT wasnt arbitrary (at least in its current form) as its limitation is based on what Unity/Unreal4's import limitations. If that were the case, then it makes a bit of sense.

Regarding Blender's arbitrary limitations... it does have them but its more along the lines of design choices. For example, why is there no true grid snapping? Extremely limited outliner, no decent layer system for painting...ect Some of them have to do with just not getting developed properly, others have to do with some arbitrary design choice by ton or someone else which makes no sense. Thankfully things are changing, and you really should get involved with the developer.blender.org site. Your feedback will be very useful to them.

For what its worth, Modo Indie seems like a great compromise thats not too limiting considering the price. On the other hand, with the sales that pop up (40% off), Modo still ends up being one of the cheaper commercial applications on the market...and those dont have any of those pesky limitations. Plus, not to mention all those "get a free copy" contests. Its pretty accessible these days.
  • Doc holliday
    Offline / Send Message
    Doc holliday polycounter lvl 7
    This seems like a great deal if you're a freelance concept artist or product designer. The rendering features are pretty much intact if I'm not mistaken.
  • Cibo
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    Doesnt understand it too.
    Buying so many people without income from 3d Industry a modelling tool?

I mean many people doodle around, have no time or real ambition but think that 3d art is fantastic. When i looking at Snefers Modo works i say "yes let me doodle with Mesh fusion!" but then i see the price tag. I have no problem to buy games because i consume them but buying a programm to create content with no posibility and skill to monetize it?

Why not simple two licences.
    1. Non profit hobby doodle around version for 20 bucks for the servers :)
    2. Make money version for the people in the industry

I mean why not 1 version in every candy cone for the kids? They use it and when the hobby is the career they are fixated on the product and buy it. Look at Unreal with the UDK community.
  • jgreasley
    One of the ways I look at it is to ask myself "if the full version did not exist, would this version be worth this price". I believe that viewed in isolation like this our indie tools provide good value.
  • dongyfeng
    Offline / Send Message
    dongyfeng polycounter lvl 6
    jgreasley wrote: »
    Source (.lxf) files are encrypted and locked to an individual Steam user ID/license

This means I will not be able to modify anything (or even open the project files) that my teammate creates?
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I agree that it would be a lot better if you guys did your licensing the Quixel way, where you charge AAA studios more, indie studios a little less, individual freelancers even less, and students even less. You get the full, unencumbered version at all tiers, so people can buy it without fear that their version is going to work any worse than any other version would, or that they won't be able to customize things as much as they might need to to get things done. It's obviously up to you guys how you license your software, but you might find that offering a full version at a lower price with relatively few limits will increase goodwill with your customers, give you a competitive edge over AD, decrease piracy of your tools, increase market share, and maybe even make you more money. Obviously you'll need to do market research and consider the best way to get it working, but the limitations on file exchange and scripting feel a little too hostile to me as a potential consumer of your software, and definitely don't encourage me to leave behind the comfortable, competent, 16-bit-per-channel-saving, and extremely extensible Blender. Modo without scripts is like Skyrim without mods: Very good, but only a ghost of what it could have been.

You'll also probably find that a lot more scripts and extensions will get published in the long run for Modo and Mari if you make those SDKs and APIs more easily accessible.

As far as Steam/always online goes, Steam has an offline mode that you should be able to use for at least a month at a time, and although it doesn't always work right, I've not had problems with it in the past two years or so. I think publishing this software through Steam is a great idea, and if nothing else will at least increase the visibility of your products in the public eye.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I mean why not 1 version in every candy cone for the kids? They use it and when the hobby is the career they are fixated on the product and buy it. Look at Unreal with the UDK community.

I think that's exactly what happened in the past with cracked versions of Autodesk software. Things are different now since, if I understand correctly, newer educational versions are free of charge. But the earlier generations of CG artists in training overwhelmingly used unofficial versions of the programs as learning material. This solidified a huge user base. And then of course later on studios hiring these artists purchase real versions of the program for their employees.

I think Autodesk has always been very much aware of this. It played in their favor !

I hope that bringing up this point is not violating any forum rule. If so, feel free to let me know... I am not advocating piracy ; I just want to somehow point at the elephant in the room.
  • jgreasley
    dongyfeng wrote: »
    This means I will not be able to modify anything (or even open the project files) that my teammate creates?

You will be able to share textures models and renders that you create but not the original source files.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo wrote: »
    When i looking at Snefers Modo works i say "yes let me doodle with Mesh fusion!" but then i see the price tag. I have no problem to buy games because i consume them but buying a programm to create content with no posibility and skill to monetize it?

Why not simple two licences.
    1. Non profit hobby doodle around version for 20 bucks for the servers :)
    2. Make money version for the people in the industry

Actually it appears Tor Frick (Snefer) does not use or even need Mesh Fusion. Everything he is doing, which in some ways is arguably better than MF, is with Modo's booleans and the built in smooth edges shader option.

This means he can keep his poly work low and even overlapping, then bake out maps that make it look smooth and welded together (like one would get with Mesh Fusion). With Mesh Fusion, you still have to do some cleanup work, work with subd models, and retoplogize. So it takes considerably longer with Mesh Fusion depending on what your goals.

Technically, we are also at the point where games can be monetized. I mean look at PewdiePie, guy makes well over $4 million a year just for uploading videos of him playing the games. Twitch also has a program in which with the right amount of viewers and subscribers you can make a living as well.

So we are at that cross road where even simple games can be seen as tools for monetization. Its all software at the end of the day, we can use it for entertainment or revenue.