Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 7 (Join in!)

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
Welcome to the Monthly Noob Challenge 7!

image_1357150489.jpg

RULES:

Please read all the rules.

This may seem like it's pretty complicated, and if you are starting out it can be overwhelming, so take it piece by piece. This can be broken down into a segments. Think about what will be unique, what will be tiled, what kinda textures you'll need to make, just plan before you go. Set your standards high for your work, do your best.

PLEASE look at the ref, and work hard to get the blockout right. Take your time before you dive into it and plan, this will make your life easier.

All that matters is that you learn and give and get advice and are willing to be critiqued.

So here are the specific rules:

Must make your own textures, no stealing, we can't keep you from it, but the goal is to learn, even tileables, I mean you can take someone else's image and make it tileable, that's fine.

You must use a game engine OBVIOUSLY. UDK or Cryengine will probably be the most used.

You must try your best and finish as much as you can in this month.

Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique and we don't have 1000 disjointed threads littering the forums.

Well that's about it, if you think the rules should be changed let us know.

I would strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel, but it must stay very close to the concept, if not super close.

Please stay away from Ddo, yeah, it's great if you know what you're doing, and for a production pipeline supplement, but other than that, please don't use it. Ndo2 is allowed. This was talked about in the other thread, please don't complain.

Have fun!

PS: I am extremely familiar with Cryengine and can answer probably any question you happen to have when using it. Furthermore ask anything to anyone here, combined there is a wealth of knowledge. Cryedev is a massive source of knowledge as well.

PSSSS:
OPEN TO EVERYONE!

GOOD LUCK

Replies

• sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Challenge accepted :poly117:
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    Ahh dammit! I didn't though that this concept will be choosen but I wanted to do it anyway so I started 3 days ago. -.-
    Means I'am not in the challenge but I can also post my WIP's now and then if I'm allowed to. :D
    Good luck to everyone!
  • N4meless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N4meless greentooth
    i like the concept but i have to finish one project before :/ maybe after
  • Ryper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad this concept was chosen, I'm in :)
  • alt3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alt3d polycounter lvl 8
    It nice.
    Go go go! :)
  • TheDerpyChicken
    Finals are next week so I may actually be able to participate in this one :)
  • Ryper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a very quick breakdown of the major things I'm going to be making, I've left out the background buildings for now as I'm not sure which way I'm going to do them yet.

breakdownk.png
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    I think I will take part in this as I could really do with an environment for my portfolio! I'm just wondering what is recommended between UDK and CryEngine 3? I have UDK but it CryEngine generally considered better/worse?
  • purkie103
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm gonna give this one a go, need to get back to doing some art been far to long so I'm sure it'll suck. Currently ramping up to crunch so this'll be an interesting challenge.
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll start this as soon as my Uni course finishes... so ill only have half the time - a real challenge!!!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa wrote: »
    Ahh dammit! I didn't though that this concept will be choosen but I wanted to do it anyway so I started 3 days ago. -.-
    Means I'am not in the challenge but I can also post my WIP's now and then if I'm allowed to. :D
    Good luck to everyone!

post ettttt
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Looks like there's plenty interest on this one :)

Good luck to everyone with their final's. I can remember how stressful it was and how annoying it was that there were multiple challenges going on at the same time...

YOU CAN DO IT! :P
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    Alright, since I interpret AlexCatMasterSupreme's post as some kind of permission to post my stuff in here, here we go:

As I already said, I started of 3 days ago with this and had to fought a bit to get the scale an perspective right.
    Here is what I have so far, rendered in UDK:

Highres_Screenshot_00006.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00007.jpg

The main thing I want to learn with this is to do nice water and vegetation because both are things I've didn't done often before this. (like...once^^)

Here are some flats of my vegetation and terrain textures:

TextureShowoff.jpg

TerrainTexShowoff.jpg

And this is how my vegetation meshes look in max. Just a quick screengrab:

FoliageShow.jpg

All the vegetation is on one texture atm except for the main grass wich is on another sheet.

Alright, thats all for the moment. :D
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Awesome start.

I like your take on the towers. Very ornate.
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    that was quick :o
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa wrote: »
    Alright, since I interpret AlexCatMasterSupreme's post as some kind of permission to post my stuff in here, here we go:
    Hahahaha, yes it was, looking good so far:)
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    The foliage gonna be a real challenge :D
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    good start AkiRa. One suggestion i have for your textures is dont use blacks. it may seem easy enough to just plop your AO ontop of your texture and call it a day, but when it comes to environment tileables, one thing i like to do and usually tends to give a good result, is using the AO as a mask. so in this case, you can get the same effect if you have your AO inverted, and set as a mask, which is masking out a 2nd dirt texture that is darker than the base ground youve got. it achieves the same effect of showing you shadows, and not giving complete blacks. thats what i did when making this texture, and generally since ive seen a better result using this method than just straight up multiplying an AO on top. also those areas are going to be dark from some angles with your normal map anyway depending on lighting, so that plus AO means complete black.. which is bad juju.
  • Razielim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @AkiRa
    wow your vegetation looks really awesome.
    I never made plants before, so i hope i can make good ones too.

I like this ConceptArt. I am very excited about it ^^
    It`s my first time, i join such a challenge.

(Please excuse my bad english)
  • Korvash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to a relatively slow day at work, I've been able to get a little bit done on this so far.

I've done a quick pass at marking out the different pieces for the scene,

397879_10152778658980257_510322829_n.jpg

Its a pretty basic break down. I figured i'd try and keep the different assets as modular as possible, as i know i need the practice on modular pieces.

I've also done a very quick block out of the gate, using sketch-up, sadly I don't have access to anything better at work, but will give me a base to work off of when I get home.

320823_10152778656830257_1059441822_n.jpg

The textures are just stand in, as I will need to work on those as well.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My breakdown of the scene.

SceneLayout.png
  • serb0ne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys. This is my blockout 30thukw.jpg. Grass texture isin't mine yet but I will make my own:) Any sugestion and crit will be welcome.Rendered in CryEngine3.
    Cheers
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my action plan for this month:

drYEuzq.jpg
  • Steen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steen polycounter lvl 16
    I think I'm going to shoot for painterly, but maybe not necessarily hand painted. Here's my asset breakdown.
    Breakdown.jpg
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Steen I never thought of just pasting one of the main gates towers over...I think i'll do the same as you :D

I'm not really sure if it'll be WoW-like painted textures, will have to see

Gonna get cracking on this tomorrow when i get back, can't wait!
  • Korvash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After being a bright spark, and forgetting to bring home the sketch-up file to work on the gate, I decided to do some work on the brick texture for the walls.

Still needs some work, but was really good practice making my own tiling texture.

942914_10152780045980257_740622456_n.jpg

Not sure on the spec yet, but haven't really played around with the lighting in the scene or anything, so I can see i'm going to be changing it, probably a lot.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Breakdown :)

conceptbreakdown.jpg

Block-Out time...
  • sub_roland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sub_roland polycounter lvl 12
    Alright, decided to join in on this. Will be going for a painterly style. Main goal is to relearn UDK, havent used in 4 years+. Worked on this tiling texture for the wall for a bit. Then started watching some UDK tuts and will continue to watch those for the next day or two. Then start back up on the art.
    perez_brickWIP.jpg
    This just being a WIP, probably gonna have to break up some of the longer bricks a bit more and some more color variation.
  • Arkhars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm gonna try this one, always wanted to get back doing some art for a long time and I think this piece will be a very good challenge.

So to start here is my breakdown, and a scene blockout.

polycountbreakdown.jpg

blockoutnoob0701.jpg

blockout_noob07_01.jpg
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Looking good so far Arkhars.

You've got the scale down quite nicely. How do you intend to create your floor/terrain? Modeled out and developed as assets or within the Cryengine?
  • Arkhars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @LANKUS MAXIMUS : I don't really know what I will do for the terrain for the moment.
    Giving it a quick shape in Zbrush or using the terrain generator in CryEngine.
    I wanted to learn CryEngine with the help of this challenge so maybe the terrain generator would be the best way.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Sounds like a plan.

I'm gonna use this project to explore the terrain features within UDK.

I hope to make next month's challenge my first CE3 project.
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uberren polycounter lvl 11
    Hi people,
    This is my first attempt at something like this, looking forward to it :)

Here's my breakdown:

F3qu90Y.jpg
  • purkie103
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My Paintover pales in comparison to some of the other hear but might as well learn how to do a breakdown while I'm at it things are busy at work. I work in QA and the hours for crunch have just gone up :'(, I havn't done much in the way of art in a while and this seems to be a good place to get back into it. My first challenge will be getting the perspective and size right in Max then UDK

Evironment_Concept_Paintover.jpg
  • richwderby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richwderby polycounter lvl 6
    Decided to take part in this, as I really need to get back to making stuff!

Here's where I'm at right now, just trying to get the scale of everything :)

Monthly7_Shot1.jpg
  • Scifix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scifix polycounter lvl 9
    Well it looks like I am committing to this challenge :P

Here is my breakdown:
    element_breakdown.jpg
    And the quick blockout:
    noob_challenge_blockout_1.jpg

You are welcome to critique so far. I was trying to work out some lighting and the POV. And tonight I plan to finish collecting my reference images. Will post that later. I'm Excited!
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Created an initial block out.

I know there are a fair few proportions to change in order to hit the angles that those outer walls are making.

blockout.jpg

Cant wait to get in UDK and start playing around with the Terrain tools.
  • mjay85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would like to join as well! This is my first post here too.

Here is my general layout.
    layout.jpg

So now that I've posted something, I have to finish it :) I'm currently working on a tiling brick texture.

I'm using Unity for this.
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uberren polycounter lvl 11
    double post, my bad
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Got my basic shapes into UDK for scale.

The translation to UDK was crazy. My camera position was well off. Max tricked me with it's FOV :(

udkblockout2.jpg

Gonna hunt about for a good Terrain tutorial.
  • Razielim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @ all.
    I am new here and this is my first time i join one of this challenges.
    The theme looks great and i am very excited about it.

@sub_roland i like your wall texture. looks great.
    i tried the texture for the path, but i am not satisfied.

so i started with the lowpoly of the wall and gate.
    unfortunately i didn`t build it modular, like i wanted to.

Toor_mauer.jpg
    tor.jpg

and this is my texture for the path.
    i am not so good at painting on pc.

Fussweg.png

next i will make the path better and with normalMap.
    And then i go to the grass.^^
  • Arkhars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have a little bit of free time this afternoon at my job, so I try to export my blockout in CryEngine.

I face some FOV issue like LANKUS MAXIMUS, the one in 3dsMax what not the same that the one used in CryEngine.
    So I changed a little bit the blockout to fix that, do you think it's ok like that ?

Nice to see that a lot of people are joining this challenge :)

polynoobcryblockout.jpg
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Glad i wasn't the only one :P

I think it looks pretty spot on. I think your walls are at larger angles than the concept's but i think that's a good thing. And it looks like your ref character block is right on scale.
  • Arkhars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The blockout in CryEngine has something that I don't like, maybe the wall are too long I'm not really sure.

I think I will work a little more on it before starting doing vegetation.

I will post update during the weekend ;)
  • poopsterspappy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopsterspappy polycounter lvl 7
    Hi all,
    So I am going to jump into this. it's my first challenge and my first (well actually my second environment the first never got past the blockout stage) . *shrug* So I have a few questions

1) How close do I/we need to stay to the color palette of the concept art?

2) I am thinking about first hand painting my textures ,then basing my sculpts off of those paintings rather than sculpting first then painting. Is this a reasonable approach? Excited for this and looking forward to communicating with you guys :)

Thanks,

PPappy
  • stepcil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stepcil polycounter lvl 3
    Hi all,
    This is my first challenge i will do my best. ^ ^
    [IMG]http://www.polycount.com/forum/<a href=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/breakdownq.jpg/ target=_blank>[/img]breakdownq.jpg
    breakdownq.jpg
    blockingmaya.jpg

blockingmaya.jpg
  • shosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all !
    This is my very first challenge
    I decided to enter this challenge in order to get familiar with a game engine (cryengine) and bump in as many problems i can during this.
    The first problem hit me after 5 minutes of starting the setup for maya. I am on maya 2013.5 and can't get the export plugin (MayaCryExport22013_64) to work for this version.

As for the rest, there is not much to show except this (maya screenshot)
    xCOPpx8.jpg

With this challenge i am trying to learn as much as i can about importing assets into a game engine and not testing my modeling/texturing skills. So, i don't think there will be any sculpting or very impressive texture work but i hope you will understand this and help me during the cryengine part as for that i have no clue or experience.
    Thank you guys and have fun !
  • kadeschui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    Looks like we've got some strong participation on this one!!

Still working on last months but definitely going to give this a shot.

Cheers and good luck all!
  • Scifix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scifix polycounter lvl 9
    Here are my references. I will probably look around for more as things develop but I think this gives me a better idea of what I am going to do.references_asianfusiongategarden.jpg
    image was resized for loading's sake. My photos are all high res
  • Toskineuro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toskineuro polycounter lvl 4
    Hi!

I never done an environment. I liked the concept very much and I'm thinking on try this. I don't know how to start :( . Do I have to follow some kind of grid?

Thanks