Home General Discussion

Modeling on a laptop

Anyone use a laptop for modeling? Thinking about getting a razer blade 14" laptop in hopes ill enjoy modeling on it, on the couch or coffee shop or whatever.. but wondering if its going to be a crappy experience on such a small screen. Anyone have experience with this?

U

Replies

• MephistonX
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    I've been modelling use this http://www.ebuyer.com/708330-lenovo-z50-70-laptop-59438336?gclid=CjwKEAjwsOKpBRCDtfOnzaDg3HsSJAAJ2ojiVK4ES5tjjlGk2o7t_nJ8xEinZX1yexHTjtPE3g3KuhoC2cLw_wcB for the last 4 months or so , the monitor is a a bit rubbish and glossy but I didn't have much cash and needed it fast. As far as monitor size, I wouldn't really want to go smaller, as tool bars begin to take up too much room.

For working in a coffee shop, invest in a nice mouse (unless you don't already have one) that is either the same or similar to the one you use with your normal desktop, mini mouses are just bad and will ultimately make your wrist hurt. Also grabbing a decent mouse pad is also a great idea as it means you can use the mouse on any surface.

But overall its been a great little work horse, able to handle most modelling situations, and being able to take it out into the park / cafe is really nice when the weather is good or I just want to be able to get out of the house.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Speaking of Lenovo, what do you guys reckon of the Yoga range? Was considering one for traveling and working abroad. Is it worth it for the added tablet functionality?
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    modelling on 14 inch should work unless you require lots of interface to be visible at all times.
    if you use an app with a very in your face GUI like max or maya, hide it and train yourself to work in expert mode/fullscreen mainly. center your workflow around using hotkeys, context/marking menu's or the hotbox to access the majority of functionality you require.
    it's faster, too after a while than clicking through menu's and shelves.

glossy screen however is a problem. they are generally pretty bad for working outside although some seem manageable. comparing my macbook pro 2011's mirror surface to the current retina macbook models i think you could take the latter outside and still make out something although it would not be optimal. no chance at all with mine however.

so, make sure to check out the screen of your chosen models in person to not end up with a laptop that can only be used in a carefully lit environment yet still requires the screen set to high brightness, draining the battery in no time.
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 17 7000 for 3d work and I've been really impressed by the performance. 17" suits me just fine :D but it is a bit bulky/haevy to carry around. Glossy screen kinda sucks (I mean the glossy finish sucks, display seems pretty solid), I have no idea why manufacturers would want to do that ... been modelling / learning modo on the train to work, absolutely loving it (both the laptop AND modo!)

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-17-7737/pd

+1 on absolutely needing a decent mouse if you're going to be modelling / extensively using it.
  • aaronmwolford
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    I modeled on a laptop during my 4 years in college and hated it... I was was constantly feeling confined to a small space. I eventually attached a desktop key board to it just to make it feel more natural. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it for a primary station, but I would agree that being able to take your work to coffee shops or even during lunch hours would be awesome. If you're going to go for it I would recommend getting a 17" screen at least.
  • DavePhipps
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    I'm still using the series 7 slate for Zbrush and Photoshop. A Bluetooth keyboard helps if you use a lot of keyboard shortcuts. Unlike other laptops it actually has a real CPU and a SSD, Resolution isn't something to write home about, but it's great for concepting during lunch.
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Series-XE700T1A-A03US-11-6-Inch-Slate/dp/B005OUQ9WO"]Amazon.com : Samsung Series 7 XE700T1A-A03US 11.6-Inch Slate (128 GB, Win 7 HP) - Dock and Keyboard Included : Tablet Computers : Computers & Accessories[/ame]
  • rebel
    Luckily i don't need any menus in maya anymore its all memorized, but still 14" screen on the razer is pretty small, though it doest have a high resolution. I thought about the 17" but that is a pretty big laptop, id need a special backpack and whatnot. less portable.. If razer was 15" id be more inclined.

Looking at the MSI and Acer ROG's too, but the razor is just aesthetically more appealing - which i appreciate.
  • DeepSpaceBanana
    Offline / Send Message
    DeepSpaceBanana polycounter
    I'm using one of the SAGER's from xoticPC, it's able to run most of the software that I use, including UE4
  • woot
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    im using a 15.6" screen, and it feels sorta ok. its a pain having it so close, and a good mouse is definitely recommended.

its not as good as modelling on a desktop, but its got some upsides.
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I have this from work:
    http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-m6800-workstation/pd

And it's great for me, super powerful, great screen, great keyboard. Bulky, but what do you expect. I also have a docking station for it so I can just attach my monitors to it and use those. I don't mind the screen being smaller when I have to just use it by itself though.