Home General Discussion

holy crap my cat has aids

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
its not funny my poor cat has feline aids FIV. Very sad really as he has to have all his top teeth out next week. I am tempted to say no to the vet as I do not want him to suffer.
there is that thing of quality of life vs quantity. poor little sod.
It means basically that he has no immune system and is vulnerable to all sort of diseases thus he had very bad gum disease and has been suffereing for a while. Shit I hate this stuff:(

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    ahh crap that sucks. I didn't even know there was such a thing. I thought he was down the last time you mentioned something about him but now this sounds pretty final. I hear ya about quality of life, its not an easy call to make.
    I hope you pull through fine.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cheers vig - oddly enough he is till pretty happy but I don't want to put him through this next lot of treatment.
    he has to have general anaesthetic for the teeth out, then has to have daily injections/shots . Believe me he hates even leaving the house , so I am not happy right now.
    starting my new job on the 3rd so its not good timing
  • spacemonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
  • IronHawk
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    sad news Ruz. Hard decision to make there. frown.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Sad news indeed, i had a had with FIV. We had to put her down after a year of finding out. We only had her for a year and a half. She jumped into my moms arms from a tree as she walked pass.

If he starts to look mopey all the time its time to put him down. Until then just do what you can to make him happy. Some cats can make it years.
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Guess the only way is to do what you can and hope it pulls through.
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    yeah dude... vets? pulling teeth out? daily injections? that sounds like an awful lot of pain and stress for a cat, not to mention probably really expensive for you... why not just let him live out however long he can and if he starts looking totally miserable then put him out?
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, I never heard of that before. I can't see him having any quality of life without his upper teeth. It's not like they have kitty dentures :/

I know it's probably hard to think of, but it may be better to put him down. I'm assuming he's in too much pain to go without having the teeth removed, and it doesn't sound like he'll do too well even if you have the teeth removed frown.gif
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well he is happy enough right now and I am going to have to debate with the vet about putting him through the teeth pulling again. he had six removed this time last year.
    He also has a an upper respitory infection so has been pretty wheeezy of late.
    The tablets have really helped with that and he is back to his old self pretty much.
    My other cat snowy had all here teeth removed aged 13 and lived until 18 so its not the end of the world.
    My current cat has to have all his upper set removed apart from the canines.
    I don't want him too stressed though so its a tough choice.
    I don't think he is in too much pain right now, apart from his gums are quite sore. He is eating well still.
    not having his teeth done might just lead to his existing teeth getting infected so probably i wil go with the vets advice as much as I can
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    sorry ruz frown.gif , my uncle had a dog that was family and I played with it when it was first a puppy all the time. A few months ago it was diagnosed with cancer frown.gif

the poor thing was dragging itself around the house at that point, it was a really hard choice, but they decided to put it to sleep.

How long of a time does the cat say to have at this point?
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    sorry to hear that seforin - Well he could go on for years, just depends. He may pick up diseases as he has low immune system , so i might just start keeping him inside from now on.

I knew I should n't have let him listen to the village people:)
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    well if you keep it indoors and make sure it keeps up on healthy vitamin kitty food you should be fine.

I thought it was like really late stages you were talking about.

Im warning you though if it gets to a point where the animal is dragging itself on the floor, dont be afraid to put it at peace (And I know its hard ) frown.gif
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I hear you seforin - I reckon he porbably has about a year left, hopefully longer.
    When it is time to get him put down I think I will know.
    We have kept animals all my life so its not the first time.
  • bearkub
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    That sucks ruz. =/ I had a cat at one point that had something similar, only this was called FIPS Feline Infectous Peretinitis (not sure about all the spelling...). I ended up having to put him down because his body kept filling with liquid and basically sufficating him internally.

Like everyone else said, as long as the little feller doesn't suffer, make his time as happy as possible.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cheers bearkub. He a is bit worse today .
    hopefully its just a glitch. He is on antibiocs , so I hope they pick him up again
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    I know what it feels Ruz, my cat is a big part of my life, i share the anxiety.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cheers for that snap.crackle.pop. cats are cool
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Our cat had to lose most of her teeth too. The vet said that cats do pretty well without them, unlike dogs. Our poor bugger is on 3 tablets a day and 3 droppers full of vitamins, but is perfectly happy when she's not getting them rammed down her throat. See how it goes man, you might be surprised how well he copes.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    CheeseOnToast - yeah my other cat had that done and she was fine for another five years despite the first day she could dn't move her whole back end. scarey stuff

I may whip him back in to the vets tomorrow, seems to be sneezing a fair bit:(
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Man best of luck with that, pets can be almost like family sometimes, so I wish you and your cat the best.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    thanks t4paN - yeah he is still not right. He seems a bit better , but has this weird snuffly nose - had him back in the vets and he was a bit vague really(the vet )

I was really worried yesterday, but he seems to have pullled around again.
    He has two incurable diseases, a heart murmur and a displaced heart whatever that is:(
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Man what can I say.. Have courage. My cat was lucky in his own bad luck. He decided, at age 17 no less, to wander away from the house, and a dog bit him, probably snapped his spine. My mom found him a day later with bite marks on his neck close to our house. At least I'm hopping it was real fast.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah my other cat died at 18 after a house fire( smoke got her)she was a pure white cat and was queen of the other cats in our house:)
    owning pets is a blessing and a curse sometimes.

Sorry to hear about your cat, hopefully he didn't suffer at all:(
    Basically, if my cat can get over this current breathing problem, he should be ok for a while (touch wood)
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    yea ruz, if things keep up like that you might wanna read some online related FAQS about your cats illness and see what other things they suggest (Asside from what your vet is recommending)
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah seforin, that had occured to me to get a second opinion. I might ask my mum to pop in to my cats old vets back in durham and see what they say.