Home General Discussion

GDC Talk: Am I able to get a lecture in?

high dynamic range
Offline / Send Message
Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
Hey Polycount:

After being to GDC a couple times, I feel compelled to give back to you (and everyone), the game development community.

I want to give a short, for students, talk about specific soft skill points and ideas to pursue to maximize one's effectiveness during Uni-years as a game artist. Particular things about professionalism, forgiveness, how to understand how one fits into the picture of a student-led production team, etc.

This is after going through several years of uni as one of the few game artists in a school full of designers and programmers, as well as sober thoughts recieved after GDC Art Lead Roundtables and several internships and short-term gigs after and during school.

How likely is it that I can get a successful submission this year? Is there anything I need to do maximize my odds? I understand that I am by no means a seasoned veteran, and I have to imagine that affects things.

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    I guess that if they find your work and experience relevant they will contact you.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Start here: http://www.gdconf.com/conference/c4p/

It looks like the call for submissions is closed for 2015, but you might want to look into 2016.

I haven't given a talk myself, but a few polycounters have. Maybe someone can chime in with additional advice.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Aww bollocks.

ehh, I guess I could add-in a post-mortem about the year of work after college.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    sounds like an interesting and useful topic! Having a section devoted how to transition from Uni to your first job at a studio could also be useful, and how uni projects and real world projects are similar/different.

For presenting your talk, looking at other academic conference papers (e.g. from IEEE or ACM) could be useful. It seems GDC isn't as strict (according to Earthquake's link), but it shouldn't hurt to aim high.

Make sure you have enough references. E.g. quote other papers, or even ask other Polycounters, who are already in the industry, for help and quotes so they can back you up. Basically, a good paper shouldn't be "just your opinion". It should be your opinion backed up by members of the industry. I guess if you've written at least a BSc thesis or similar you should know all this :)
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Start here: http://www.gdconf.com/conference/c4p/

It looks like the call for submissions is closed for 2015, but you might want to look into 2016.

That is really a pain - I was hoping to try and submit a talk to GDC about Alien: Isolation's art production methods :<