Home Technical Talk

Complex modeling in maya

Hey guys, I got a question for you. I have used maya for like 2 years. I've done character and stuff but nothing mechnical or too complex. Its a great software. But now I'm trying to become a hard surface modeler and work I'm working on really complex hard surface pieces. Ex: Engines, robots, mechs ( If you know Sathe and Bulgarov you know what i mean :) ), and when maya lacked in that aspect I decided to learn modo and make it my modeling workhorse. And i loved it. But i still want to find out how to do certain things in maya. Like in max and modo it is very easy to find the modeling and selection tools that are available to modelers to make their life easier, like in max u got a long list of modifiers and all that. And I don't want it to seem like I'm bashing maya, which I'm Not. I love it as well. But, very few people know how to model in maya efficiently and where all the tools are. So, what I'm asking is: Do you know any place or anything that could help me find out where those tools are or how did you figure it out? Cuz up until now I haven't done any real complex highpoly modeling cuz I'm much faster in modo. But now I'm getting into some very complex stuff and .... I hate going to max or other software packages, save modo. But I still want to learn how to use maya to get results that i need. Do you have any advice me or thoughts?

Thanks,
Tago Barantino
:D

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Shift + RMB is the modelling context gestural menu in Maya. Learn it, love it.
  • tagobarantino
    Thank you MoP! That was very useful. But I still have questions. Through that technique i found the same tools I already found in Maya. But What I'mm looking for is there something like the modeling modifers like in max, that list all the feautures maya can do? So I know what is available to me.
  • beartraps
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    by modifiers I assume you mean deformers? Which are available in the "animation" set under Create Deformers, from there u can create a lattice (ffd), wrap (NURBS patch deformer), and non-linear deformers (like bend and flare).
  • tagobarantino
    Well, I mean complex modeling and selection tools in general. I'm mean there is got to me more than the tools that are in mesh menu. And Bonus tools are good. And Nex is a great addition. And I use that all and it gives me great results. But XSI has some great features, liek selection feautures and all that. Just watch Bulgarov's DVD and you'll see what I'm talking about. And SlipgateCentral aka Vadim. Like he showed some of the tools in his Making of Video of his Dominace War character. But I know there are a lot of other tools in Maya. If he did it , then it can be done. I would very much like to ask him how, but trying to talk to a guy like SlipgateCentral (Vadim) is probly like talking to the president of United States. Its probably very hard to get a hold of him :D I fail to understand how he gets such great results with Maya in terms of modeling....I can do all the modeling in maya - but i don't know all the tools and it takes me sooo much more time. I even bought books on Maya modeling and they don't talk about features that max has or XSI has, I'm not even talking about Modo. I mean I can find useful scripts on creative crash for Maya, but in my opinion All the other packages are better than Maya as far as modeling goes....Animation - Maya is best though. And my problem is that my studio is switching over to Maya only! And I can't use Modo at work. So I'm trying to find out how...but Maya lacks in some serious aspects of modeling. But I'm saying that only because I don't know Maya that well. So thats what I'm trying to find out.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    In addition to what Beartraps said, make motion paths and flow path deformers your friend too. Not as easy to use as Max's version, but it'll get a similar result.

As for complex selection tools like Modo's, I don't think they exist. I'd love to be proved wrong though.
  • Illusions
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    I would have to say that this applies to a lot of programs out there, not just Maya: Just because a tool says one thing doesn't mean that it can't be used for something else. For instance, what CheeseOnToast mentioned. Just because Motion Paths are under the Animate menu doesn't mean that they can't be used for modeling.

Also a more descriptive explanation of how you feel Maya is lacking in the modeling department may help us to point you towards the Maya equivalent features or workflows for the areas in which you feel it lacks. So what are you looking to do?
  • Zelenkov
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    I think what he wants is maybe useful scripts and plugins that maya has?

Tago, I recommend Nex. it has a lot of nice features and is a great addition to maya's tool set.
  • DennisGlowacki
    Offline / Send Message
    DennisGlowacki polycounter lvl 7
    What else do you need besides bevel, extrude and split polygon tool :thumbup:

I would be interested in hearing about a specific "complex modeling" tool that you use in one of the other packages so that we can
    point you towards the Maya equivalent features or workflows
    :poly121:
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    well, I dont have a good modeling tool set, but for sub-d work,

try to avoid the bridge tool, use append to polygon or fill hole, as bridge tends to add a non-smoothing edge (just stays put, wont deform and smooth with the rest of the mesh :().

the select edge loop, ring, and select border is really the only complex selections sets I use.

just remember your edge tension between verticies, and you should have no problem!
  • tagobarantino
    Thank you guys many of your reply's! It is really great! My biggest let down is that I'm so used to model in Modo, that i just miss Modo's selection features. but by complex modeling i meant modifying your geometry using different selections functions and macro, which I extensively use when modeling in Modo. But for the past few days I've been using Maya and it is not as bad as once might have imagined. it is just very hectic to find things in there. These marking menus are a familiar feature to me but i have not gotten used to them.

Shift and right click? Hmm....it doesn't really bring out the options , but brings out the create geometry options....

And thank you Zelenkov. I will look into nex. And any scripts and plugins would be very useful. Thank you guys for you extensive help. I really appreciate it. I'm getting more knowledgeable. :)

Thanks,
    Tago Barantino
  • mLink
    Offline / Send Message
    mLink polycounter lvl 10
    You will need to have a piece of geometry selected before the shift right click menu will bring up any tools, ctrl right click has a good deal of selection actions and some useful things like "to edgering and split".
  • Zelenkov
    Offline / Send Message
    hey how would you select every other face? like in every direction . so you have like a checker pattern and you can extrude it?
  • mLink
    Offline / Send Message
    mLink polycounter lvl 10
    http://goleafsgo.cgsociety.org/blog/ if you scroll down to the script "select every n edge," while it doesn't do quite what your looking for it's a great script to have in your arsenal. You might be able to figure something out with it close to the selection type you are wanting
  • Zelenkov
    Offline / Send Message
    tnx man! i was thinking ...cuz i've seen how this one guy did it in xsi, and he saw it someone do it in maya and thats where he saw it. so i thought maybe do a selection invert it and then grow....idk, but fowlers scripts may help
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    oh yeh one thing you should remember is to never combine objects. Instead group them by selecting all the objects then press ctrl g.

make live in maya is the equivalent of autogrid in max.

for selection tools the shortcuts r very useful.

ctrl f11 convert selection to face
    shift . will grow selection
  • mLink
    Offline / Send Message
    mLink polycounter lvl 10
    oh yeh one thing you should remember is to never combine objects. Instead group them by selecting all the objects then press ctrl g.

There are a lot of times when combining geometry will be necessary to perform very frequently used tools (at least in my case), seeing as most won't work between two separate objects.
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    mLink: true. i shouldnt have said never. im just so used to ppl telling me not to thats why. I personally like combining them but my friends keep telling me not to.
  • Cheesestraws
    mLink wrote: »
    http://goleafsgo.cgsociety.org/blog/ if you scroll down to the script "select every n edge," while it doesn't do quite what your looking for it's a great script to have in your arsenal. You might be able to figure something out with it close to the selection type you are wanting

You shouldn't need this script anymore. The polyselect command has it built in.