Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Polycount - Generals - [poopinmymouth]

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
GROUNDFLOOR!
I'm so owning all your bones on this one. The neversoft prizes are pimp, I'm giving up my Christmas Neversoft Duffelbag, hehehe.

I have my general idea, but haven't started concepting. I know that makes this thread a bit preemptive, but I'm too excited not to put a placeholder.

I'm going to be videoing my entire process from concept to finished model/rig and have it available on my website at comp finish. I've been meanging to make a new video series anyway.

poop.gif

Replies

• Illusions
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Heil Poop! To anyone else confused (some spying has alerted me that those over at cgchat are), here is the link to everything you need to know!

http://www.polycount.net/dominancewar/

Use the menu up top to navigate for what you need! TO POLYCOUNT VICTORY!
  • r13
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    its on our front page too ;p
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    make us proud Poop!
  • cman2k
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    videoing the whole thing? nice! can't wait to see what you come up for this one man.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    So, Energy-boy. You going to be the Moale officer of this Chicken outfit? keep the troops motivated aswell?

Scott
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...Energy-boy...Morale officer...Chicken outfit...motivated...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

poop.gif
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
  • Etheros
    Offline / Send Message
    Etheros polycounter lvl 17
    ooh **********.
    Don't say, what BoBo on the evil side too.
    omg
  • Spark
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hopefully you will keep all articles of clothing on in this video Poop, as I would hate to have my eyes incinerate before I could see what your final piece will be:) Jk, man I'm sure it will kick ass.

Spark
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    I want oreos damnit!!!
  • Slash
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    i dont know what oreos are.
  • Mark Dygert
    "Less talkie talkie, more ART!"
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured our army needed a tactician. I'm going to go through several iterations just to make sure I come up with something I like. That and I am sorely in need of concept practice.

concept_1.jpg

poop.gif
  • Valandar
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting. Gonna add something for a C&C console, heads up display, that sort of thing?
  • Slash
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    I already gave you my 2 cents on msn. So i'll just support the idea of a c&c console hud thing.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Well, I dont know what else to say at this point. Its a white girl in a black outfit...with big popeye forarms.

I'd say you need some color elements on the outfit & something to break up the shilouette.
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    good start poopstah, but I don't think she looks like a general yet, but I'm sure you'll come up with something to fix that ^^
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    The idea for my chick is that she is extremely good at her job, but feels she's always had the fact she's a woman held against her by her male peers. So she's developed a hatred towards all men. She tries to take it out by being ruthlessly efficient in her battles and planning to show up those around her. Her outfit is slightly professional, but has a lot of sexual appeal added in because she likes making the men around her desire her, so she can ignore and reject them. She's replaced her left arm with a PDA that she can operate with the long fingers on it. She never ventures onto the battleground, knowing full well her strengths are mental and not phsyical.

Another quick doodle to see what I can come up with.
    concept_2.jpg

poop.gif
  • cochtl
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    it's aeon flux! looking better than the original, but she may be too simple in design when compared to the stuff i have seen so far in both forums...
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I understand your thoughts behind these but they seam a bit boring at the moment. Feel free to do anything you'd like but I'd like to see something a bit more warmongerish from you. Something that can strike fear into the opposition. I just don’t think you have any CGchatters shaking in their boots at the moment.

Sorry, but you have a lot of people talking smack about you over at CGchat so you should bring your “A” game!

- BoBo
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    Jhotun polycounter lvl 18
    hahaha, that should be enough pression Bobo :P
    Yeah, this babe needs some kind of things to make her much more mad without having to read anything related to his past.

Keep it up!
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    To go with what Bobo has said I Don't find the character to be overly evil and menacing looking. Or interesting. The back story is really cool and adds something to the overall character - but it isn't anything wowing.

Also, it looks a little too much like Trinity:
    Go-go gadget Gauss!
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    brome discovers the joy of the constructive comment in lieu of a throwaway image post!

poop: it might seem like an uphill climb but this is good progress. i'm glad you're going for something of a more austere approach instead of straight to WH40k schlock, but currently it's a little too much in the opposite direction. as she is now she'd probably make a good candidate for an adventure or puzzle game, something that stresses interaction with characters. but the way this compo is structured it's pretty clear that the pieces that "go big" are the ones that are going to do the best. i don't think you have to necessarily abandon the character you've got going here, but you're going to have to get all of that story, all of that history and characterization you've developed and make it as plainly readable as you can on the character itself. as she is now, she's pretty unreadable other than seeming kind of cold and withdrawn. you've got the building blocks in place, time to it up visually. i don't care for little text descriptions of characters because i should be able to read all of that right on the character itself.

the costume and accoutrements are the architecture of memory and history!
  • dur23
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Ooooh it would be rad if she was general diplomat. (who steals, and pilfers, and generally messes shit up from the inside) Love the idea of that. Love the idea of all the black. Can't wait to see what you produce.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think youre hurting yourself with the all black clothing. Its really hard to work with, and less fun to texture (for me at least). I'd suggest a more ornate and extreme costume design, something that lends more of an image of what type of world the future is. The hand is looking good though.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    the costume and accoutrements are the architecture of memory and history!

[/ QUOTE ]
    I thought that was my line?

As it is, Poop, it's good, but not "great". she's a General, not a CIA consultant, there needs to be a bit more of a read of her military career and preferences on her "Uniform", at least a little electric green insignia and piping. Every decoration she would wear is something that proves her point and status, give her more decoration. (but not to much like Anime, or something)

Scott
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    I really agree guys, thanks for the crits. I'm not going to move past the concept stage till I have something really solid I'm happy with. These are just initial explorations.

I decided to go back to just silhouettte thumbnails till I nail down something more interesting. Right now I'm liking the one to the far right but I want to push about twenty more out.

concept_3.jpg
    poop.gif
  • Valandar
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I like the last silhouette, but it may end up being pretty polyheavy, with all those spiky bits, taking polis away from elsewhere...
  • naruSol
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    Don't feel the need to add tech and spikes all over. But she does need to be larger than life. maybe insted of the standard giant boots, you go with longer slimmer boots with 6 inch heels and without any flashy lights. a little 80s style with super broad shoulders in her suit and some marks of rank to show she isnt just a minion. If you're going with a mechanical arm, why not make it an arm with a bunch of holigraphic displays and charts to show shes in an administrative position insted of charging accross a battlefield.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    holographic displays would be pretty cool...
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Poop, i think your silloutte studies are a step in a better direction. I have to say the middle 2 are the most interesting. The shoulders of the 2nd one do help lend her to more of a "General" feel. Maybe try to give her large forearm a better shape and exagerrate it more, cut into it's shape some. Also doing a female could be a good chance do so some interesting things with long hair and how it could be tied up and such.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    yep man those silhouettes are cool, i think it really helps if you bust out a load of these before going in and trying to paint a refined concept... keep thumbnailing and silhouetting until you find something that really clicks, then go crazy with the painting smile.gif

i look forward to seeing what you come up with!
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    concept_4.jpg

Still banging them out. My plan is to get about twenty-five solid thumbs, and then take three of them I like the best and do a rough paint up. Then from those make a final version from one or a collage of stuff I like from the three, and do a fully rendered version. I think I'm getting closer to what I want. Thanks for the encouragement guys. This project has reall enforced that when it's over I want to focus on my traditional drawing skills.

poop.gif
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    Jhotun polycounter lvl 18
    You rock! I see a lot of potential on the lower left one. That hands with some burning glow can make the difference in war between win or make them eat the dust! I´m loving it.

Oh, btw, the lower right seems to me that she is going to eat a sandwich on a park :P

Keep it up!
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    Walked home tonight (instead of riding my bicycle) and did a bit of concepting in my head. That always seems to get me closer to where I want to go because I tend to think it out more logically, whereas when I'm drawing or painting I'm just going with visual stimuli.

I'm going to try to massage her a bit more to really convey a bit more of her evil nature, but this is definately the direction I want to be heading.

concept_5.jpg

poop.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    now you're cookin with gas!I like the direction you are taking, its a big imporvement over the trinity look-a-like. The outfit is coming along nicely. This feels more like your A-Game. I really like the use of the second lighter color What about adding a Han-Solo stripe down her pants and other areas, in the lighter color?

You have your A-Game outfit, now she needs a A-Game pose. If you are not going to pose her now, make sure to do it when you pose the final 3D object. The right arm looks like its holding a cane, thats a bad look for her. Also keep in mind Davinci poses and bad poses will get you a pat on the back and a kick in the ass. The rules clearly state a winning pose. We aren't in this for the kicks. Do you want this hanging on moms fridge or in the Le Grand Louvre, solider?

If you can show your winning pose in your concept then acuratly pose your 3D model to that kick ass concept then how cool are you? Ding, dong. Its the Louvre at the door are you going to get that?
    - Maybe bring back the data pad controling thing on the arm?
    - Nothing says scary bad ass chick with a bun like deadly sqizzle sticks in the bun?
    - More colored pipping? (Much like cowbell I crave it)
    - concept_5a.jpg

I see her leaning over the railing of a ship looking out a lower window at planet (and enemy ships) being torn apart by missles launched from her ship. Why is she nuking a planet? Because they got her lunch order wrong thats why. Yeah she's hardcore... I think the railing and a window as part as the base would be a great touch in the final piece. It wouldn't be counted as part of the model in the judging process but its like yelling things you know the defense will object to in court. Sure it gets stricken from the record but it still made a lasting impression on the jurry =)
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    The concept is definatly getting better, She has many more interesting elements than the previous 2 and I think you should push it more, maybe pull some more elements from your sillouttes because there are some pieces there that work very well, like the arm of the girl on the top right, and the proportions of the 2nd girl on the top row.

Also may want to think about some insignia or medals.
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    yeah i think your heading the direction you wanted. just please dont model her in that pose. if so i think you might want to add a few accessories.

poop1.jpg
  • skankerzero
    ah yes, that one is much nicer!

now, take some of those tech bits and tech her out. I'm partial to the shoulder 'spikes'. Though, you can easily take those and turn them into some kind of communications devices or holographic projectors.
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    thats awesome arsh, that automatically makes her look sooo much more evil...
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    haha just stick a minigun on that zimmer and youre set!
    its coming along great poop, the face is really nice
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    For whatever reason, I'd had the gun and holster layers hidden, so the picture is updated. Also if anyone is interested, here's a timelapse of the painting, I'm gonna add audio later when I do all the videos up right. I know this isn't really tutorial quality concept work, but I wanted to include it in my process for anyone starting out, instead of just starting right in on the modeling.
    www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/video/delilah_concept.zip

poop.gif
  • Weapon_X
    Offline / Send Message
    Weapon_X polycounter lvl 17
    I like the sleakness of it. When i see her, i think 7 of 9. I think she would be bad ass with some sort of high tech sniper weapon or something. She could be a tactician and a sharpshooter from long range or something.
  • ThE_BirD
    Offline / Send Message
    ThE_BirD polycounter lvl 18
    cool stuff poop, I like that you included some of the stripe color in the holster... It'd be cool now to deck her out with a few more character specific details... does she wear any pins, badges to display her rank? I like Vig's idea of a stripe on the pants... Lookin good!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Oh Benji! Thats so much better! Your traditional skills are getting a bit better lately I've noticed! Good work!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    going the right way poop laugh.gif

(mutters to himself ) better get to work...
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd sugges that you add a bit of the Ol' Green in the form of piping. She als needs mor e insignia, and I think a stronger chin and jaw line for the domineering bitch look.

Scott
  • tasart
    Offline / Send Message
    tasart polycounter lvl 18
    kongbattle armor would crush her >;-D
    dont forget her tampon dispenser
    *stab *
    aside from that stuff's lookin good as expected, I fear the model
  • PaintTheFence
    Offline / Send Message
    PaintTheFence polycounter lvl 17
    Hey poop, i'm a sad little man, but you've got some pretty good stuff in this thread, thanks for posting. Good thing I've been banned.
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    its really cool that some coward invented a fake screen name to come leave medeocre insults on the polycount boards. when i go over and tell you cgchaters how much you blow ass i use my real name. mostly cause my mother wasnt a prostitute. apparently its the only cause of said behaviour.