Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Norse God

MrD
MrD
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MrD polycounter lvl 18
Hey all,

my first message in a long time and my first model in 3,5 years. It´s going to be a norse God based upon a nice concept by MitGas. It intentionally has comic superhero- comic proportions (always difficut for me) as the fictional game would use the same style.
I plan to use it for an Nintendo Wii art test (main player char) so that means 4000 tris max for the final model plus one 512 texture. The model is to be ready for facial animationn.

To my regret I do not have much time available for modelling currently so I won´t be able to progress as fast as I would like. So far I invested roughly 5-6 hours (a rainy sunday afternoon ;-) )

After adding the armor the plan is to rig, texture and pose him. Will post updates asap.

cheers

Replies

• roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    Norse gods are BADASS!

but somone should make Gaul gods. :)
  • MrD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrD polycounter lvl 18
    little update

the colored things will be a belt plus a pelt on the back ;)

Next comes the weapon and then unwrap the sucker

update.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Giving my the amount of polys you have in the boots anf gloves, is say add some loops in the face esp the eyelids
    looks like this would be fun painting :)
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I know you say you need a max of 4000 tris for the Wii but as a Norse god, his beard is nowhere near EPIC enough :)
  • MrD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrD polycounter lvl 18
    update:

new3.jpg

I set myself a limit of one roughly one work day for the model (approx. 10 hours) and another 2,5 for unwrapping. Like I said it´s the first time in three years so I´m S L O W. Anyways...It stands at 3215 tris and is fully uvw mapped.

Why only 3200 insetad of 4000? Well, Facial animation beyond basic mimic is not needed for this test and I guess I would add another 300 tris if it was to be optimised for real facial animation. Also this guy would get "updates" in the game - more armor and additional weapons - worth another 500 tris.

Next comes rigging and texturing ;-)

@butt_sahib: you are probably right...it could be further optimized but I tried to keep the workflow smooth and fast with simply doing what i see and calling it quits before I become overly obsessed. Like it was a job ;-)

@sukotto:
    I had very nice concept to start with and stayed true to that. Also there is the idea of having other gods with huge beards and each character needs its individual style. I was happy I got a badass hammer.
  • MrD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrD polycounter lvl 18
    update:

started texturing...and found several problems with the uvw map :/
    so back to unwrappping again

skin1.jpg[/url]
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pretty nice so far imo
  • MrD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrD polycounter lvl 18
    small update
    arms, face, pelts just placeholders atm

test.jpg
  • MrD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrD polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, I am done with most of the texture except for the flesh parts and the hair. There are quite a lot of places where the texture work needs some more love however this model will be used for a Nintendo Wii art test. I hope in 640x480 from some distance away the mistakes won´t be seen ;)

oh this is also why I post small renders...trying to think in tv resolution.

test.jpg
  • MrD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrD polycounter lvl 18
    Phew, I think I´m done. Next I need to make a background for him plus one or two enemies. :)

test_3.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Hi nice work.
    You should have made some sort of stitching pattern to the boots as they just seem like pasted on quickly reference material, the seam at the back of the boots is also very noticeable.

You should also probably touch up the back of the head seam.

Otherwise this came out, nice!
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    second the boot stitching

nice big hammer... very bossy