Home Digital Sketchbooks

SKETCHBOOK - Suprore - NSFW

Joseph Silverman
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
button.jpg

^^^ click for link to latest post.
Hey guys, did i ever have one of these? I don't think i did.

I finally got a new tablet, so i'm finally diving back in to trying to get good at painting and drawing headfirst. Hopefully this sketchbook will help me guilt myself into putting out/refining even more work!

Will occasionally be nsfw. Some doodles and WIPs to start ->

xkznd3.jpg
28coghj.jpg
2gx4iu8.jpg

Replies

• Jaco
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    I like the last two, but the first girl has some serious proportional issues. Most noticeably the hands are too small, and arms too short (hands should reach about mid-thigh)

I do think you've got a good grasp on facial proportions though, judging by these sketches and sculpts you've posted in the past. You just need to study more from life I think, as it's sometimes clear that you're drawing things based on memory and not observation.

Keep it up!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Dead on crits, jaco, thanks. I'll try and rope in the freaky proportions in the future, and pay special attention to the arms.

meanwhile, been chipping away on this guy a bit

15qozd1.jpg
    5ow0fo.jpg

just starting on the values, still tweaking the design as i go blahblahblah
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Got sick, havent been drawing enough. Almost done with this, not diggin the helmet.

11c9o9s.jpg
  • Devin Busha
    Nice start man, I see A LOT of potential here. My main crit is that it looks like you're jumping into details and shading before locking in the main forms and pose of the characters. That aside, I can see there's a lot of effort in your drawings and will be keeping an eye out on this thread. Goodluck and keep at it! :)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, man. Appreciated.

Some other doodley stuff.

24v4ck9.jpg
    dqwpy.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    I need to draw more often. Freaky shit going on with the perspective/foreshortening on the arms and legs.

2555l43.jpg
  • vofff
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    she got a big ass.
  • marlfox8
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff wrote: »
    she got a big ass.

nonsense.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    got a chance to get back to this, meh stuff

2d77ocw.jpg
  • marlfox8
    i think it was that weird tribal wood skirt
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonna try and do more art/update this more regularly.

Some recent speed stuff. Trying to relearn zbrush; in reverse order:

eun9r4.jpg

oldbie.jpg

ram.jpg

gobbodouchebag.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Today is a very polycount day for me, so i thought i'd update this thread with the shit i've been doing. Input, advice, and questions VERY welcome. Keep me thinking and talking about art, please!

augirlp.jpg
    srsb4.jpg
    srsb3.jpg
    srsb2.jpg
    srsb1.jpg
    srsb5.jpg
    Girl8.jpg
    demonsmall.jpg

TOO MANY STATIC POSES AND NOT ENOUGH STUDIES I KNOW
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Aside from being WEIRD AS HELL, this experiment/study in skintones was a pretty gigantic failure. Way too under-saturated, and my knowledge of anatomy is just too iffy without using some reference.

nudeidek.jpg

It looks pretty acceptable after i abuse the hell out of it in photoshop, but that's definitely not something i want to depend on.

In addition, robots.

Robots.jpg

I want to make a LOT more of these, but thumbnailing is something i find extremely difficult. I have a specific aesthetic i'm shooting torward but i'm finding it very challenging to hit.
  • Daven
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Looking sweet so far. I'm really liking the latest sketches you've been busting out. You've got a lot of flavor pouring out, keep it up!
  • kevlar jens
    Lots of cool stuff.
    Keep it up :)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot, guys, encouragement is very appreciated.

This weekend i'm gonna be busy with my soul-crushing retail job, so i'm trying to squeeze in time to do more traditional sketching. Generally i find trad media extremely frustrating; i don't think i know what i'm doing, and i think in general i utilize my sketchbook pages very poorly. Going to try to specifically focus on this in the coming weeks... Not off to a good start. Messy, messy, messy!

Sharpie.jpgsharpie2.jpg

Tonight i was inspired by lemonhead's thread to mix some ink in with some liquin i recently bought. This is super cool and i want to do a ton more of it, but it's EXTREMELY challenging to work with. Very easy to completely destroy an image with a few errant strokes.

Liquin_ink1.jpg

I think some of my difficulties with this may be the sketchbook paper i'm using, i want to pick up some with a smoother, more marker-friendly surface and see how it goes. I also actually just need to buy some goddamn markers. I'm using a cool grey 10% to do kindof an underpainting on these, and it helps, but it's the only marker i have, i think laying in a few tones with darker markers and then working even darker tones in with the ink would probably be a much better workflow.

Robots-1.jpg

Lastly, A few more robots! So bad at thumbnailing, only did a couple, which i guess is completely missing the point.
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    nice sb m8
    there are some very interesting sketches in here, i really like the looseness of them.

keep up the good work :)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Greetings from minimum wage hellscapeville, squeezed a LOT of shitty sharpie doodles inbetween (and during!) work shifts. There's very little i'm actually proud of here, but i want to try and keep momentum posting in here. Art's art!

I'm getting extremely into doing these kindof abstract little environments dotted around here -- they all suck, but they're teaching me a LOT about composition and, really, painting in general.

Random lines taking shape into something with some kind of illustrative power is an empowering thing to play around with

2ynj8k9.jpg

Also, these. I made these in a rush; no excuses, they're terrible. One's a study, one isn't. I think it's pretty obvious.

2nqxy1h.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    additionally, some sculptris silliness:
    j5y3xw.jpg
    2u95mx0.jpg

eddiiittt, slipping this one in here:

sketchbook4.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Found a couple hours between work and deus ex for digital art tonight. Started work on this robot dog concept, and then got a bit distracted. Mechanics are complicated! So i'm just gonna kinda lay down values and hope it all makes sense at the end.

woof woof bleep bloop.
    rlypgh.jpg

System404's sketchbook is astounding and inspired me to doodle in color a bit. No ref or anything because i'm lazy and stupid.

5nmy3l.jpg

edit with another
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    I made a really simple new brush and tried it out:

opo9wo.jpg

Then took it for a quick (1-2 hr) study after John Signer Sargent.

Very educational, and eye-opening about howlittle attention i pay to detail. I fucked the proportions and perspective waaaay up because I didn't look carefully enough, so instead of waste a bunch of time repainting everything im just gonna take what i learned and stop here. Something to focus on going forward.

jq4x8m.jpg

The way sargent uses color is inspiring, powerful, and straightforward. I wish i could learn a lot more about it.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to keep the momentum up, here's a little bit of what ive been doing lately. Been studying loomis a bit, nothing worth showing yet. Meanwhile, doodles:

ps

2j0jfb4.jpg
    htu4jn.jpg
    (yuck!)

sketchbook pro

r0nnko.jpg
    2le5p20.jpg
    2yla2bn.jpg

As an aside, i started playing with this micron brush marker that gets really cool, natural results. Want to draw something less terrible with it, will probably post more soon!

edit - some more:

22z4o.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    I discovered charcoal pencils and fell in love. Odd thing not to have tried before, i guess. Hopefully a LOT of charcoal sketches incoming one of these days soon. I did a few off of the pixelovely gesture drawing tool and want to do a lot more.

Meanwhile;

Scoob's sdk
    scoobdk.jpg

More Sketchbookrpo

2hz1jjp.jpg

Overall this is one of those shitty days where art feels pretty worthless, but i'm trying to muddle along anyway. Keeping positive and doodling is always the way forward.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    sharpie on paper bag, rushed doodles
    sep1tgt.jpg

These are the charcoal pixelovely figure drawings i mentioned before. They suck, i wanted to post a lot more but just as i was starting to get the hang of it i destroyed the tiny remnants of a charcoal pencil that i found and had been using. Need to get out and buy some! Tomorrow!

Of note: ME DESTROYING EVERYTHING BY SMUDGING IT WITH MY FAT FINGERS UGH UGH UGH
    charc1.jpg
    charc2.jpg

tried to keep it up with a conte crayon, this shit is SO HARD TO USE. Proportions? whuauaaaatttt?
    conte1.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Just continuing to experiment with workflow/technique.
    sketchbook6.jpg
    princess-1.jpgsmudgeknight-1.jpg

That second one is a derivative of the chick above, using the smudge tool to create a majority of the forms. Got the idea from a post by TeriyakiStyle about blending. Super cool way to work, gonna use this a lot in the future.

editing in more as the night progresses;
    sbt.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, more pixelovely studies, a small slice of the large amount of EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING traditional art i've been trying to do. This charcoal pencil is MUCH darker than the other one i used and generally harder/less fun to work with. Also doesn't erase as well. Didn't know there was that much variance in them!

16ieav4.jpg
    14kl9na.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    so it goes

the study was a huge failure from a get things right perspective, super informative about values though!

studygirl.jpg
    Skullguardillu.jpg
    env4.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a hell of a hard time drawing anything decent today, these are the highlights:
    pencil1.jpg

And then i got started on this monstrosity. I did a few pencil sketches before i jumped into ps on this one, which is new for me.
    In time, with luck, this will get less weird. Or possibly more weird. Cooler, at least.

girlpower.jpg
    gpowerpencil.jpg
    pencil2.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    So i'm really not feeling the above at all, reworking it -- wanna chronicle this here, because this is my first time using this kind of a workflow.

I'm using lots of transfer paper and different colored pencils for revisions. Very fun way to work, much more tactile problem solving than you get working digitally. Still not pleased with the pose, probably gonna change things up a lot.
    gpowprocess.jpg

Will edit in as i chip away at this

girlpower2.jpg

-General posture is way stronger but i'm still not happy with the upper body/arms

girlpower3.jpg

-Starting to get somehwere! Still not really selling the characters very well. Here's 100% scale of the faces, i think this is the one part where the interplay between the characters is engaging the viewer the way i want it to be. It's also so messy!

-Annnnnd photoshop crashed after another hour, finalizing the details and pose on the creature. Maybe again tomorrow.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Hey suprore, it's looking good, your improvement throughout is palpable. I'd suggest you focus a little less on silhouette and more on the planes that make up the shapes. I like the confidence in your lines though!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally, some feedback! Thanks a ton man, i appreciate the advice a lot and i'm gonna focus on that for sure in the coming days. Any suggestions on books or posts or videos or anything that could help my understanding of analyzing planes?

Not doing anything serious today, just doodling to keep my mind on art whenever i've got some free time. I'm playing with brushes AGAIN, but i think i found something really good this time.

It's based on what i THINK i saw this guy using in his youtube videos, because it looked super smooth and natural work with. It's one of the photoshop default chalk brushes with opacity and size jitter to presure and angle set to direction.

I'm not sure if it's really very similar to what he was using, but it feels great! Here's a little exhibition

newbrush.jpg

edit: blop. will post some sketchbook pages too today or tomorrow. all my art time is getting eaten up by moving and work.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/SupRore/demon2.png
    demon2-1.jpg
    mini.jpg
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I did a lot of bridgeman studies when I was younger. I also copied various Loomis designs. All in all, I don't know how much any of that sort of stuff helped me. Just imagine a super basic wireframe on top of the people you're drawing and then fill in some basic shadows where you think the light would hit. Add some cast shadows on top of it. When you shade in with hatching or brush strokes or whatever, follow the form and your "wireframe"

I dig the demon in the last post btw
  • isso09
    Sweet fucking stuff, dude! Your form is marvelous! I would work on perspective and design if I were you though, which is what you're doing with these RIDICULOUS amounts of sketches. Just make sure you think of every object in 3 dimensions. It's a lot harder to draw this way, but once you make seeing every object in 3D automatic, your designs will jump off the page. Reconciling between a compelling 2-d silhouette and a 3d shape is the most important part of prop and character design.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys are the best, i appreciate the feedback and advice a ton. I pretty much do art in a vacuum, except occasionally asking the ever badass funkybunnies for crits, so posts like those give me a ton of direction and encouragement.

A little epiphany/change of mindset i had recently: I don't think master artists make any less mistakes than i do, i think they just respond to them much more gracefully. Every accident is a happy accident if it can be made to improve the piece.

Anyway, today's a day off, so i'm hoping to get a lot of art done if i can fit it in. First, stuff from the last several days i never got around to posting -- a little value doodle from last night that i'm not sure was very productive, then my extremely disappointing sketchbook pages from a couple days ago, nothing i'm really happy with at all in those.

study1valuez.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg

The figure drawings at the end are my first bit of art for the day, and are using reference local polycount superhero Makkon shared somewhere. Trying to take your advice and start paying more conscious attention to 3d form, it's challenging and distracting from the stuff i do know how to do, but i can already see incredible changes in how i portray form after just barely beginning this. Excited to focus on this more! These are all pretty fast, a few minutes each.

figuresept9.jpg

(someday i need to sit down and draw a billion feet, this is getting embarrassing)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Not getting as much as i'd hoped done today. But a little googling isolated a frequent (like, every ten minute) crash i'd been having with photoshop -- brushes set to follow direction, apparently, are extremely unstable sometimes.

A couple thumbs/ideas -- the second is a bit of overgrowth fanart. I'm not sure if it's worth the amount of time i think i'd need to put into it to do it well, but swordfighting poses are fun!

spacegirl.jpgogthub.jpg

queen.jpglasso.jpg

The body for the horned girl pretty much drew itself, only spent a couple minutes on it, definitely one of my favorite things i've drawn aesthetically. I'll probably flesh her out a bit, she needs more interesting sleeves and less bullshitted hands and legs.

Next to her is some experimentation with the lasso tool. Extremely fast and effective way to work, it's something i have no idea why i haven't been using in my workflow all along.

edit: more! From imagination.
    handlebar.jpg
    spaceman-1.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to get comfortable making actual illustrations, not just lone figures. Bleck. Some fast, 5-10 minute, photo studies and doodles.
    sketchbook7.jpg
    spaceman-2.jpg
    edit: slipping one more in here. My ongoing journey to drawing interesting chicks continues.
    Sitting figures from imagination are haarrrdddd, really messed up the proportions on the legs.
    Also toying with one of the figures from a few posts ago.
    wips.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Bleck. Focusing on technique but not really drawing anything good. Animals are always a huge challenge for me, i also have like four pages of atrocious lions.

ack-1.jpg
    wasteoid-1.jpg
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    great stuff, SupRore!
    always inspiring to see hardwork
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/SupRore/lasso.jpg
    these are my favourites, great shape design and line weight
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Conte, man, that means a lot! You are one of my absolute favorite artists here and among the couple of posters who got me inspired to learn to draw in the first place. Thanks a ton.
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    This day in sketches. Searching for things that excite me enough to make an illustration out of --i feel like there's a serious lack of volume and 3d form in everything i draw, i definitely need to do a lot more studies and some still lifes, but i'm procrastinating on it.

Paper stuff is mostly mechanical pencil, learning to really like it. The female poses are primarily grasping at this exercise by paul ricahrds. The last one's from concept tag.

4.jpg
    airhead.jpgwaswip.jpg
    paranoia.jpg
    squarebrush.jpg
    Laz-1.jpg

edit -- why wait? Studies from THIS, WHICH IS REALLY AWESOME, CLICK IT
    1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    3-1.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    One more, rushed before bed.
    4-1.jpg
    also
    crow.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Man i love your sketchbook, awesome stuff
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man!

Moving at the end of the week, not a ton of time to draw, gonna try to squeeze a bunch of little sketches in where i can. I want to keep updating this thread, but it's probably going to be less work and less productive work for the next week or two.

I'm playing with paint tool sai, which i didn't really understand how to use in the past. Couple doodles to get familiar with it. Marker and brush! A few minutes each. I think this would be a really fun way to thumbnail/prototype ideas, just smudge value around and see what i get.

sighs.jpg

edit: Oh man! While i was packing i found a black prismacolor pencil, i'd been trying to find these in stores, i didn't know i already owned one. So cool! Gonna draw a ton with this thing. Like threeminutes of scribbles and then back to not-art.
    PRISMACOLOR.jpg
  • bbob
    Great progression here, good stuff. Inspiring to follow :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbob, teriyaki, thanks a ton for the replies. I probably will revisit that piece -- but actually because, personally, I don't really like anything about it.

I've been trying to stick to only updating this thread when I have (a lot of) art to show. But just this once I'm going to give in and make this useless blog style post instead -- a lot of my purpose for this thread is to have a record of where I'm at as an artist.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________

Moved halfway across the country (for no particular reason) and found it kicked me out of my rhythm with making art way longer than I expected. The week and a half before the move was stressful and impacted my ability to produce art more than I'd have liked it to, and then actually moving was a way bigger blow to my productivity and focus than I expected. Ended up having to spend a couple weeks in hotel rooms, and then some time without internet at home. Also ended up with a not altogether unexpected amount of stress about money, and now at the moment no desk, just a setup with my computer on the floor.

I would love to say I've responded to all of this by picking up my sketchbook and keeping chipping away at art, and I have made a few attempts to do just that, but overall I'm finding myself really out of my groove and out of sorts with art. No ability to focus on studies, no inspiration, and no confidence with anything I draw. So it goes. Art slumps like this happen to everybody, but after the huge, inertial sense of progress i had the last couple months this is really frustrating.

In the end, obviously, this is a wholly internal problem -- nothing is keeping me from doing art aside from little worries and discomforts, and it's pivotal that I train myself to not let these things effect me... But at the moment I just need to just adjust my mindset and knock myself back into drawing a lot every day.

Going to keep trying to re-immerse myself in art over the next days or weeks or however long it takes -- dipping my toes into different mediums i have laying around, looking at a lot of work by artists i respect, leafing through the art related books I've got, and watching some of these videos and tutorials i have laying around and never got to.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Edit; really don't wanna start posting without including art. From today. Hopefully back to regular updates following this.

3p.jpg
    I still draw eyes too far apart. I still cant draw feet. Ack.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Today i'm struggling pretty incompetently with color. Proceeding in pretty poorly thought out ways, and trying to refine -- they both came out with okay palettes, but everything else suffered a lot.

Hopefully much better stuff to come soon!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/SupRore/3bust2.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/SupRore/4p.jpg

edit: Ahh, even looking at reference a LITTLE helps a lot! So i'm getting back into the swing of things, a bit. It's wild how discouragingly inept i get if i take a several week break off art -- but it only took few hours of solid painting to knock my mind back on track.

5bust.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Not focusing very well on anything or solving problems very well. Doodling to keep busy.

ladyp.jpg
    s5.jpg
    k1.jpg
    s1.jpg

So, still a bit (a lot) of a hack. Will be back on track soon.