Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Concept Voting for February 2015

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
ac3ce42f2c4506af25bef173c6083a65.jpg

Feel free to post your thoughts about this in this thread, along with the votes and the concepts. Do people want to continue this ? Should we do anything differently to improve the challenge itself ?
  • We will decide on what will we be working on for this upcoming month.
  • Anyone can participate in the voting process, even if he or she doesn't participate in the Monthly Challenge itself
  • You can vote on multiple pieces. Simply post or quote them in your reply/replies.
  • PLEASE DO NOT post a concept art of multiple characters. Different people will work on different characters and that would beat the purpose of this.
  • You may post interesting concept without actually voting for them. Simply state so when you do.
  • If you want to discuss about the pieces, don't quote the images.
  • The goal is to get better and to make stuff. So, pick challenging and fun piece (?)
  • You will decide character budget on your own term. So don't base concept piece on low budget. Determine budget on the concept instead.
  • If you already contact the creation of certain concept art, please state so as well (thus we don't all contact the poor guy with the same question). Usually I take it upon myself to contact the artists for permission.
  • Voting ends on the 29th, 2pm US time West Coast.
  • The actual challenge itself starts on 1st day of next month, in its own thread which I will be creating then.
  • Note that I MIGHT pick two or maybe three concepts for next month. But if I do, I will not pick more than one of the same kind. (No 2 hard-surface pieces or 2 dude-in-armor pieces)

Here are two concepts to start from. Let's see more cool stuff !!!

"Drifter"
1186283_orig.jpg

"White Knight"
43a5bc7349b179c8fe51506c5a3253d2.jpg

Replies

• blackdragonstory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blackdragonstory polycounter lvl 9
    I vote for "White Knight" :)
  • MrCreator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wote for White Knight too.. Im not sure I will be able to join tho because of Comic Con challenge :)
  • ultramedia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultramedia polycounter lvl 11
    I think we should do the scariest of all characters:

1441990-090623_manbearpig.jpg

Half Man. Half Bear. Half Pig.
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    Okay I vote for this sexy mother, where did you find him ;'}

28k2003.jpg
  • Catzcratch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Catzcratch polycounter lvl 6
    Okay I vote for this sexy mother, where did you find him ;'}

google Marko Djurdjevic
    i know because im also working on a model based on his concept :D
    i love his work and attention to details
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
  • chrisjngs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisjngs polycounter lvl 2
    My vote goes to this guy 28k2003.jpg
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Catzcratch wrote: »
    google Marko Djurdjevic
    i know because im also working on a model based on his concept :D
    i love his work and attention to details

Good find :poly142:
  • doomprodigy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doomprodigy polycounter lvl 5
    I'll vote for this guy too
    28k2003.jpg
  • Colossal_Dragon
    Yep this dude looks slick

28k2003.jpg
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    So, looking at the last character challenge results, I have to say that you guys choose much too complex characters. Even the anime ish girl from last month is a bit of a challenge because, for the most part, I see individuals who need a lot of direction in anatomy sculpting attempting to create stylized faces and it just doesn't work. Pyz, I give you a lot of credit for setting up these contests and I think it's great that you guys challenge yourselves but I still feel like these aren't helping you guys very much. Instead of learning the proper foundation to character modeling, you guys try to rush through a complete character and you are ignoring the key steps. Again, not going to tell you what to do but if you guys really want to improve, I would change the format of this challenge. To be honest, in the last challenge, the only person hitting the basic forms properly was Pav3d. Again, not trying to be a downer but I believe these challenges are more fit for character guys who have already been through the ringer and can handle building a complete character in a month. I'm probably going to take a lot of flack for saying this stuff but I just don't see a ton of improvement from one challenge to the next. I feel like there are much better ways to improve your character skills on a month to month basis.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Just a thought, you guys should all participate in comicon challenge. You'll get more time and a lot more feedback on anatomy and character pipeline. Those big challenges are a great learning opportunity for up and coming character artists.
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    ultramedia wrote: »
    I think we should do the scariest of all characters:

1441990-090623_manbearpig.jpg

Half Man. Half Bear. Half Pig.

I second this.
  • ultramedia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultramedia polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Slosh,

I don't think you should cop any flak for saying that, you were very polite and it only takes a glance at your artstation page to see that you're a really advanced character artist who is speaking from years of experience and hard work.

I guess for me, doing these challenges isn't about becoming a better artist, it's about seeing what I'm capable of with my current skill set (and picking up free tips from people who are a little further along than me).

And of course, being inspired to upgrade my skills when other people in the challenges make nicer characters than mine :)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh wrote: »
    Just a thought, you guys should all participate in comicon challenge. You'll get more time and a lot more feedback on anatomy and character pipeline. Those big challenges are a great learning opportunity for up and coming character artists.

I plan to spend more time on the Comicon this year, actually. Many times big challenges are great sources to learn and to grow fast. Just have to keep showing cool shit to attract audience.

Oh, and ArenaNet Internship artest is right around the corner too. Like, right after Comicon :P
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    I agree with Slosh. I have been eyeballing these challenges, wishing I could enter, but the timeline is simply not feasible at all for a free-time project. One month is what I would expect to need for a character working full-time. In fact, depending on complexity, even that might be a stretch, especially if you really want to push yourself and learn new things.

For a one month challenge, I think it would be more constructive to have small sculpting themes like hand studies, foot studies, a bust etc.

If you want to do full characters, I think a quarterly challenge would be much more appropriate.

As for the concepts, I'm really liking that bearded dude. I just don't see this kind of character happen in one month for me, though... Unless I were to take off from work and live in a cave for 4 weeks straight. :poly122:
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    For a one month challenge, I think it would be more constructive to have small sculpting themes like hand studies, foot studies, a bust etc.

I think this would be a great idea, even in addition to the full characters, like how the monthly environment challenges have a full environment and also a smaller prop.
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with Slosh. I have been eyeballing these challenges, wishing I could enter, but the timeline is simply not feasible at all for a free-time project. One month is what I would expect to need for a character working full-time. In fact, depending on complexity, even that might be a stretch, especially if you really want to push yourself and learn new things.

If you want to do full characters, I think a quarterly challenge would be much more appropriate.

As for the concepts, I'm really liking that bearded dude. I just don't see this kind of character happen in one month for me, though... Unless I were to take off from work and live in a cave for 4 weeks straight. :poly122:

Anyone reading this wanting to get into the industry/better jobs/improve workflow, 1 month is more than enough to make anything that's been posted here so far, even working in off hours.

http://youtu.be/tp5XAzamk1o

Every character in this cinematic was made, starting with a supplied basemesh, in a little over 2 weeks with the exception of 2 due to feedback. That is modeling AND texturing and half the artists were working after hours. This is the kind of production demands you should to try to aim for.

Obviously people starting out or only a year or 2 in are not going to be able to match that and that's fine, that is some of the motivation to do these types of challenges as locking yourself into a month is a great way to force decisions and get used time crunch.

I do my best work by far under a time limit because it forces me to work smarter and by extension, faster and if there was any single thing I would say to anyone who wants to do this challenge it would be USE A BASE MESH to start with.

Just cause I have to say it, this is not an attack on anyone but more of an encouragement to give this thing a go with better preparation and advice from someone who has been around for a while :)
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    You are referring to people who are most likely all senior artist level or at least have ample experience creating characters. You may be well versed in anatomy and other character pipeline techniques but asking someone to create a full character in a month while working a fulltime job is still unrealistic for most people IMO. I think it would be much more helpful to do proper anatomy studies during these challenges and then do full characters for challenges such as comicon challenge or dominance war. There is a reason those are three month long competitions. Most people who participate and finish high level pieces are also working fulltime and that three months is just about the right amount of time. I will agree that working under a time limit is important but I still believe 1 month is unreasonable for beginning character artists and those are the people doing theses challenges. I also think that if ur still learning the basics you should not start from a basemesh either as that is a shortcut that you should only take once you are completely familiar with proportion.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown wrote: »
    Anyone reading this wanting to get into the industry/better jobs/improve workflow, 1 month is more than enough to make anything that's been posted here so far, even working in off hours.

http://youtu.be/tp5XAzamk1o

Every character in this cinematic was made, starting with a supplied basemesh, in a little over 2 weeks with the exception of 2 due to feedback. That is modeling AND texturing and half the artists were working after hours. This is the kind of production demands you should to try to aim for.

Obviously people starting out or only a year or 2 in are not going to be able to match that and that's fine, that is some of the motivation to do these types of challenges as locking yourself into a month is a great way to force decisions and get used time crunch.

I do my best work by far under a time limit because it forces me to work smarter and by extension, faster and if there was any single thing I would say to anyone who wants to do this challenge it would be USE A BASE MESH to start with.

Just cause I have to say it, this is not an attack on anyone but more of an encouragement to give this thing a go with better preparation and advice from someone who has been around for a while :)

I'm sorry, but couldn't disagree more. I think you need to learn how to hit the quality level first, and then worry about how to do it faster. I don't believe you can learn to push the quality by doing fast work, I think you need in-depth work for that.

Also, speaking from my personal experience as a character artist, not all companies use such short timelines. For the ones that do, I imagine they have to kit-bash a lot.
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    I suggest Shoulder + Max Grecke orc concept.

http://maxgrecke.deviantart.com/gallery/

shoulder-anatomy.jpg

lABriz1.jpg
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehh.... I can't really take credit for setting this up... It's been talked for awhile and a group just went ahead and started it a year ago. I keep running it now because I want it to continue.

... And I want to apologize for not being the pro/guru/expert in 3d despite me running it :(

I agree that the concept keeps getting more and more complex, but I think that's what attracts people. The excitement of working on it. I mean, if the concept is quite plain, then I wouldn't feel so energetic either :(It's the hype that keeps this going, and it's the hype that will backfire on it. Duh.

Though we indeed could have a primary concept that is exciting and complex, and secondary concept that's easier (maybe just a bust, or a cartoony creature or something). And the Primary might get 2 months working time. But then it would overlap with the next month still :(

Or we set it up so that an odd month has complex and simple concept, while an even month has two simple concepts, and no complex piece. Then repeat.

Thoughts ??

I like some discussions going, because that's the only way for us to figure out if this monthly challenge works or not.

So, thoughts ?
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Busts
    Anatomy
    Full Character

3 Concepts each month , a little something for everyone.
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm thinking a fully clothed concept piece and then perhaps some nudes for people to work on their core anatomy if they want as 'studies' . I don't think you should remove these complex pieces because as you said, they are exciting!

Speaking of which, will we see a comeback of the Noob challenge this month? :)
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We could also pick a new concept each month, but have no specific deadline. That way, people can take as long as they need, but there is still something new every month for everyone to stay interested.

And ofcourse, I still stand by my suggestion of doing anatomy studies of single body parts. Each month could have a different body part as its theme. You could either do the full character, where you pay special attention to said body part. Or, if you have less time, you could do just the anatomy study of the month.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I think a good compromise is to do both a full character challenge and a mini challenge. The full character can just be what you guys have been doing for those that feel their skills have progressed enough that they can handle doing a full character in 1 month. The mini challenge can be either just a bust of the chosen full character concept or maybe an anatomy study such as an arm, hand, leg, head, etc.
  • jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    daphz wrote: »
    lABriz1.jpg

this is rad!

Aw hells yeah
  • Defunct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Defunct polycounter lvl 10
    I like the idea of character busts. Anatomy studies of separate body parts would be nice too. Like hands one month then arms the next or whatever. Then at the last two months of the year do full body sculpts for both male and female.
  • Bentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bentic polycounter lvl 18
    Haven't you noticed that the 'Newb' has been removed from the title since last September ? :poly121:

I guess you tried to give characters for different levels when there was a main concept and a "smaller" one, but I noticed it went a bit overboard at some point with too many characters and some too complex.

I think it's nice to have a character that's not too simple to get inspired and learn from the most experienced that go for that one, as long as all beginners don't go for the complex character because it's the coolest one, and don't finish or have a too hard time and don't learn well.

As for the suggestions, there could be a new "complex" character each month, but that we could work on for two months. Well, we could work on it as long as we want, of course, but just making it clear it doesn't have to be done in one month, and maybe saying two months as a goal so that people can aim for something, or so that they don't stop working on it because it's been too long.

And the simpler character, or bust, or part of a character being there just for the current month.

There could also be a separate monthly anatomy noob challenge ;) (or of varying length, depending on the subject)
    Isn't there a common anatomy practice thread ? I'm not sure.

I'm also for taking the time to learn and do the work properly with a decent quality level, and speed will come naturally with practice.
    I'm a bit against all those speed paintings, or speed sculpts, at least for beginners, because a majority of the aspiring artists watching these videos that are still learning are trying to do the same thing, where speed is actually not the goal, but a consequence of knowledge and practice.

Oh, and I asked my buddy Leo if he we could use his concept, he said he was cool with it :) :

article-2383273-1B1CCDE4000005DC-7_634x628.jpg
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    I think it would be great if we could set up these mini anatomy study challenges as an unofficial course. We could use a group of Pinterest boards or some similar mechanism to provide a plethora of references. For example we divide the body into six parts: Head, Torso, Arms, Hands, Legs, and Feet. Then we could get through it twice a year and it'd be a good opportunity for even the more experienced artists to brush up.

I agree that a month long timescale for a full character is a bit too short. (At least if you want to do other things in your free time too, which is why I haven't really participated in the challenges after the first one). It wouldn't be a bad idea to extend it to two months (so it would make sense to rename it as the bi-monthly full character challenge).
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or we do male anatomy for 6 pieces, then female anatomy for 6 more. Or switching every month. (male head, fem hand, male torso, fem arms, male feet, fem leg, etc etc)

Do we want to vote on the bust as well as the complex piece ? Would that make voting too complex itself ?

Hmm, a stormtrooper's helmet might be fun to make... though it might be more of hard-surface than character bust...
  • Orange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orange polycounter lvl 4
    I'd like to add that if we do busts. We should also do an ecorche. That way people are making sure they understand their anatomy, and can get feedback on any problem areas.
  • Felixenfeu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixenfeu polycounter lvl 10
    Francois_K wrote: »
    Busts
    Anatomy
    Full Character

3 Concepts each month , a little something for everyone.

What about :
    1 simple cartoon
    1 complexe realistic-ish
    1 body part

December (i think, not sure) had two different concept, a realistic one and a cartoon horse one. That was a really great exemple of choice.

[EDIT]
    slosh wrote: »
    I think a good compromise is to do both a full character challenge and a mini challenge. The full character can just be what you guys have been doing for those that feel their skills have progressed enough that they can handle doing a full character in 1 month. The mini challenge can be either just a bust of the chosen full character concept or maybe an anatomy study such as an arm, hand, leg, head, etc.

I really like this. This is a really great compromise.
    PyrZern wrote: »
    (male head, fem hand, male torso, fem arms, male feet, fem leg, etc etc)

I think this is a good idea. Doesn't have to be gender specific. Just one month you do the arm, then next month leg, next month torso, next month head, etc. Keep voting for the concept, body parts don't need voting imo.

On another note, because a concept is a complete character, it doesnt mean everybody has to do the whole thing. You could just do the bust of the concept and it would be really ok, especially for beginners.
  • Them_apples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    Pretty much what Felixenfeu said but i think we could only have the "mini challenges" here and leave the big ones for Comicon like slosh said. We could vote for a character and only make the bust for it.

As for anatomy, just like there is the hard surface weekly challenge we could have our anatomy weekly challenge. It could work like choosing 1 picture and making a specific bodypart that stands out of it, each person is different so we could have a lot of variation even if we do the same part of the body another week. I am not sure if it's too overwhelming.
  • Xyniph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xyniph polycounter lvl 12
    So, I actually really like the idea of a monthly anatomy challenge. That's a broad enough topic that I'm curious if it'd be better as its own monthly challenge rather than folded into the monthly character challenge, especially if it were to dip into animal anatomy as well. We seem to be discussing these two separate kinds of practice anyways, I could easily see these as separate challenges:
    • Matching a character concept/art style and translating it from 2d to 3d while practicing workflow/efficiency from sculpt to textured game-res model.
      Good for practicing speed, refining full workflow, and trying new styles.
    • Practicing anatomy transitioning from one segment of the body to another in multiple poses, presenting both "fleshed" pieces and an escorche to study muscle structure.
      Good for improving attention to detail, identifying anatomic landmarks, and knowledge of anatomy.
    Trying to do both at the same time would probably just have people either rush one or more aspects and learn bad habits. And if some people pick one goal and some pick the other within the same challenge thread, then do people feel that goes against the idea of all working on the same thing to practice together and learn from each others mistakes/discoveries?

How many unofficial Polycount mini challenges are there now? Monthly Environment, Monthly Guns and Vehicles, Weekly Hard Surface, Monthly Character off the top of my head. Are we flooding the 3d showcase forum?
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xyniph wrote: »
    How many unofficial Polycount mini challenges are there now? Monthly Environment, Monthly Guns and Vehicles, Weekly Hard Surface, Monthly Character off the top of my head. Are we flooding the 3d showcase forum?

Nah, I actually think it might cut down on the number of separate threads and keep things nicely grouped. It also creates nice little hang-out spots for like-minded people. :)
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    Yea, most character art/anatomy practices are shown in individual threads. The thing is anatomy knownedge is as important as is hard surface modeling skills for an environment/prop artist. We can't expect to make good characters without enough anatomy knownedge, sure everyone can practice individually and improve on it but we can make something about it an get better as a group.

Just like i've seen people get huge improvement thanks to the hard surface challenges, by their own merits of course, but also because of "practicing smart" is part of practice with another people with same goals who can see your mistakes so you can fix them faster than practicing alone.
  • Busterizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Busterizer polycounter lvl 5
    Why can't this be one every 3 months like others have suggested? You can keep all the rules the same but the time limit is 3 months. Granted there would be 4 challenges a year, but participating in only one of these will probably grant you more feedback than what you can get in just one month and in turn people will learn loads more. Also people that choose to participate would probably feel abandoning their chosen challenge would make it feel like a waste of effort and time.

Another thing, why don't we have this (and hard surface challenge) in 'Contests And Challenges' part of the forum? If anything it would be easier to find and look at past contests.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Note: There's been talk (read: rumor) about having a nice new subforum for these unofficial challenges. Nothing's confirmed yet!!! But it's been discussed.

For the Anatomy Challenge, it could be monthly, or even weekly like the Hard-Surface one.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We could also vote on just one concept, so it's not too complicated; and then the full character is given 2 months. While the bust of that same character is given 1 month to finish.

2778e0d8be279a8aa839383324ca53f8.png

That's what I did in November because of Riot's Contest too. (I did half body bust in ZBrush. So not game-ready either.)
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    We could also vote on just one concept, so it's not too complicated; and then the full character is given 2 months. While the bust of that same character is given 1 month to finish.

That's what I did in November because of Riot's Contest too. (I did half body bust in ZBrush. So not game-ready either.)

That's actually a great idea.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    I think like someone mentioned above, it could be a good idea to do basic foundation exercises. Do a nude male/female realistic sculpt, a stylized proportions one, maybe an ideal weight, fat, etc. specific parts, like hands and feed, lips, eyes, ears. Could do specific posed sculpting exercises for hands, expressions for the face.

And then if you still want to do full characters, maybe do it every other month, an exercise piece, and the other a full character.
  • Kamezis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamezis polycounter lvl 4
    Felixenfeu wrote: »

December (i think, not sure) had two different concept, a realistic one and a cartoon horse one. That was a really great exemple of choice.

I agree, i didn't participate, but this idea was really cool.
  • Felixenfeu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixenfeu polycounter lvl 10

Yeah that's it. Can be 2 month for both too, who cares anyway and it will make things way easier to manage. Just give choice to people on either to do a bust or a full character.

I'm all for weekly/monthly anatomy challenge too. That would be fantastic. If you guys are willing we should make this happen. We could set up a bunch of rules for it.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So should it be bi-monthly instead :) ?
    Or should it overlap by a month ??
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    The contest content informs the time frame. If it takes you guys longer, no average, to get one character done, use more time.

If it's some other objective like just focusing on getting stuies done of anatomy sections, or busts, that's another set of time frames.

Right now, if you guys commit to doing full characters, either choose more manageable characters to maintain the time frame, OR allow for more time.

btw, good on you for keeping this up Assani.
  • Silver Spade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remember this guy in the past voting for Monthly Noob Challenge. Shame he wasn't chosen last time. Hoping he does get chosen this time around. :)

Though I find the talk interesting. I'm not sure if its been mentioned yet, but if I could make a suggestion of posting like a set of images which scale in difficulty (three images which scale from what would be considered 'beginner' to 'advanced'). Then again, I suppose that's what the bust vs. full body is about.

Regardless, I do enjoy going back here every now and then to see how things work out and develop.

Zen%20Robot.jpg