Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Oooh I like that WK set! I'd suggest making the cape longer though. It'd make him look more like a rugged veteran viking, which I personally think would fit well with his beard and helmet.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    My brewmaster item currently sits at 818 tris and this is mainly the problem

So I would do something like this, let the normal do the work on a card like this, and you can pull middle point of the leaf thing to have some more height on it, but this alone could save a 100+ tris, you can also collapse more edges around the model like i have shown, and the green points show more collapse points I did not paint in. Hope this helps, happy hatting!

1CA44c3.png
    Oooh I like that WK set! I'd suggest making the cape longer though. It'd make him look more like a rugged veteran viking, which I personally think would fit well with his beard and helmet.

Yeah I really like this WK also, and agree, maybe have the fur on the upper part and make that the trim for a cool cape coming out of it. Hope this helps, happy hatting!
  • PrivateRowan
    oWPcgZx.jpg

Recently finished this queen of pain set with CamCrawford! New Zealand workshoppers unite! :D
    Have a look if you feel like it! haha
  • SeeingTriangles
    @Vovosunt: I really like the dagger-themed PA set, PA mentions the word 'dagger' in many of her lines too. The red-orange is a nice touch. Personally I prefer the one with the hood and curvy hair :) but the hair tails with blades at the end are interesting, how about making one with hood and curvy hair while also keeping the hair tails with blades at the end? About that WK set, I like his beard :) I agree with Kite and Insaneophobia about the cape. The axe is kinda unique, but I think the axe head is a bit small, it's kinda underwhelming compared to his sword. I think making the axe head bigger would make the weapon look better :) Also a suggestion: how about the in-game Reaver for his weapon?
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    that wraith king set is great vovosunt, agree with others about the cape length. Shoulder slot is super strong.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    started working on my new bloom set for Enchantress.

6OntGaX.jpg
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    @Badcogg & Kite, thanks for the reply, it really helped :D.
    @Vovosunt- I think the horn on the helm is too big, it creates an imbalance, try shortening it or elongate the one that has been cut.

@praetus, I really like the bracers. As for the shoulder, it looks very weak.
  • TheVirgl
  • quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    wow this axe has a very similar silhouette with the valve's one :| not sure if that's a good thing
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    The Axe turned out really nice, I really like the shoulder pieces
  • Hudston
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    Somewhat off topic, but I just wanted to drop in and wish everyone a merry christmas! Keep on being awesome, ok?
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Meryy Christmas... erm Frostivus... [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDZbGUrZQc4[/ame]

Happy Hatting to all, and to all a good night!
  • archie
    hey guys how do I actually submit a layered artwork successfully onto dota merchandise section? I have been trying for a week and it keep failed. emailed Steam but no reply :(

Any help?
  • Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn
    Offline / Send Message
    Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn polycounter lvl 2
    Hi :D this is my first time doing dota 2 workshop Legion Commander set items for spring 2015, Comments and Critique are appreciated :) gonna starting retopo soon :D

zbrush%20preview%20comp.jpg?_subject_uid=127044605&w=AADY8WBPQBXbkYlznNQqXRpL8dTb16JYy7zn72PYBzOh-Q
  • oDD
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    hey guys, I haven't been here for a year and I haven't been keeping up with Dota workshop. I've got a question. I want to create something for the spring event but I won't be able to create a full set. Do you think there is a chance for a single item to be accepted or single items are a thing of the past ?

started working on an item for brewmaster
    zun.jpg
  • TommyTehZombie
    @ oDD - Tough to say, they seem to be focusing on sets lately.

Having said that, New Bloom 2014 had an insane amount of items, both single and sets in it, It'd be surprising if they didnt take singles.
  • danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Just put together a rough concept for a Phantom Lancer set for Spring 2015. Still a few things to tweak, but I think it's just about done.

tumblr_nh6t0iZaPF1rwocuuo1_1280.jpg
  • Mathew O
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    uZ07sbp.jpg

I made a Venomancer ward for last months competition and I really enjoyed it, I was thinking about trying to make a full set for him as he is such a cool hero. Do you think this would be a waste of time? He doesn't to have many items and I can't see why...
  • mesmurus
    Offline / Send Message
    mesmurus polycounter lvl 4
    http://puu.sh/dLepT/5b7b70efc5.jpg

Just wondering what people thought of my Phantom lancer weapon. My first model by the way.

Im also taking suggestions on adding more detail for LOD1
  • blossomalex
    New Bloom Sniper set finished :) Enjoy!
    k1i1Et4.jpg?1
  • M_hulk
    Ole the courier

I will be VERY VERY grateful for the constructive criticism.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csms-Txx5pM[/ame]
  • agito666
    danpaz3d wrote: »
    Just put together a rough concept for a Phantom Lancer set for Spring 2015. Still a few things to tweak, but I think it's just about done.

tumblr_nh6t0iZaPF1rwocuuo1_1280.jpg

it somehow reminds me greek people instead of chinese...
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Mathew O wrote: »
    uZ07sbp.jpg

I made a Venomancer ward for last months competition and I really enjoyed it, I was thinking about trying to make a full set for him as he is such a cool hero. Do you think this would be a waste of time? He doesn't to have many items and I can't see why...

I totally think you should continue and make a set
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    hey guys, some updates on our monthly contest

Since we have the new bloom deadline till January 17th, we at polycount decided to extend the contest to match the newbloom event, but we are keeping the prizes for the original deadline

for the new extended deadline we are going to have a new prize donated by Drew "R13" Risch.
    A Golden Trove Carafe!
    256px-Cosmetic_icon_74_-_Golden_Trove_Cask.png?version=2d77971ccc2e501a9f8f583a83e61228

worth around $200 on the market
    and this priceless Golden Crystal Maiden figurine
    BtVqVzuCQAA-NnO.jpg

since it is an special event, we are also extending the hero pool to ALL THE HEROES.

in resume:
    • the finished items on december competes for the normal prize.
    • the finished items on december also competes for the extended deadline prize (golden carafe)
    • the item from january competes just for the Golden Carafe
    • No last time item will be accepted, which means that the rules over work in progress and feedback still applies

the thread is at this link
  • Chemical Alia
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    Here's the high poly for the Spectre set I'm working on with Dry for New Bloom. We changed our minds and decided to make something after all v:

render_by_chemicalalia-d8blt4g.png

solid_by_chemicalalia-d8blt3v.png
  • Toasty
    2o9mLR.jpg

Harmony Set is finally finished and up on workshop for Spring event. yay!

-Toasty
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Here's the high poly for the Spectre set I'm working on with Dry for New Bloom. We changed our minds and decided to make something after all v:

render_by_chemicalalia-d8blt4g.png

solid_by_chemicalalia-d8blt3v.png

I'll just say what I think, ok?
    I don't know what others think but I think this is simply embarrassing!!!
    You guys are known artists, when u say that u r not joining an event and bring up reasons on why you decide so, you influence people, specially the new comers. Then without saying a word that you have changed your mind you come here and drop a product that is concepted, sculpted and textured then you say oh hehe we changed our mind!!!
    Is this really how a community should work? Telling people that something is risky and that you dont want to take that risk(and that probably thats your advice to others)and secretly working on it and then just showcasing the end result?
    I thought forum is an interactive place not a show case place. And I also thought it's a place to discuss and share not to advice something and secretly do the opposite.

here, a comment that fits your type community: OMG SO EPIC AND GOOD. I WANT THAT SET NOW. VOLVO PLZ! I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE IT IN GAME!!! WOWOWOW! SO ACE. MERRY BELATED CHRISTMAS! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Aside from these, I think the colors are a bit off the plate. However they might actually look good from in game perspective. I personally don't think this sort of designs fit an alien, but that's just me.
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not like this has been something they've hidden, I've followed them on twitch and they've been streaming the process on this sculpt for like 2 weeks.

Besides that, I think the sculpt is looking really good! I am a bit worried that the lotus flower (or whatever that is on the top of the head) Is might a bit too detailed, and might come out too noisy in the ingame view. Really great concept!
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    It's not like this has been something they've hidden, I've followed them on twitch and they've been streaming the process on this sculpt for like 2 weeks.

Besides that, I think the sculpt is looking really good! I am a bit worried that the lotus flower (or whatever that is on the top of the head) Is might a bit too detailed, and might come out too noisy in the ingame view. Really great concept!

I commented on what they did here :)
    They told polycount that they are not joining. That was my point.
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    And people are allowed to change their minds, I don't think they intentionally said it so people wouldn't join, just to cut the competition.
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Reza wrote: »
    I commented on what they did here :)
    They told polycount that they are not joining. That was my point.

Come on.. you are making out they purposely deterred people from entering. That was not the case. We are a community but that does not mean we have to do everything together and the fact you were influenced by their original opinion is not their problem.

@Chemical Alia: Looks great so far, love the colours but I too am not a fan of that flower. I know it's for "new bloom" but I think it looks a little out of place sat their in the middle of the head and to echo Phil, it's definitely too detailed.
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    When did I say that people don't have the right to change their mind? What's the point of generalizing this issue? I said the way they are behaving here is improper and that's my opinion.
    And why are you @mdk twisting what I said towards me? Isn't that sort of arguing waaay to old? I did 2 singles and a set and there might be more to come. But that doesn't cloud the fact that many new comers actually pay attention to the artists that have been here for much longer time and trust on their experience.
    I hope the next person answering me reads what I wrote ...
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    Aside from these, I think the colors are a bit off the plate. However they might actually look good from in game perspective. I personally don't think this sort of designs fit an alien, but that's just me.
    Lol Spectre is an "alien" now
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    When did I say that people don't have the right to change their mind? What's the point of generalizing this issue? I said the way they are behaving here is improper and that's my opinion.
    And why are you @mdk twisting what I said towards me? Isn't that sort of arguing waaay to old? I did 2 singles and a set and there might be more to come. But that doesn't cloud the fact that many new comers actually pay attention to the artists that have been here for much longer time and trust on their experience.
    I hope the next person answering me reads what I wrote ...

I'm not twisting anything, I said "you are making out" and with that I just meant it's how your point was coming across to me.

My point still stands that you can't be mad at an artist for changing their minds. Although I do understand what you are saying about newer artists following the older artists, perhaps this should be a lesson to not always follow along.

To some extent I think a lot of the points made here about community are valid but some people seem to have it in their heads that we are one single entity and can only do things the same as eachother.
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12

Looking really good. Personally, I am not a huge fan of the head slot for this set though. It doesn't really have that nice flowing, "aerodynamic" look that Spectre has. I am not sure if it is the "hair" part being too large or the flower being too prominent but it seems too top heavy to me. Otherwise, this is looking really nice, congrats guys.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    I personally don't think this sort of designs fit an alien, but that's just me.

Spectre is already kind of an alien
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    darkkyo wrote: »
    Lol Spectre is an "alien" now

From the lore, she feels like an alien to me, sorry if I'm wrong.
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Reza, you can still make something for the contest, its not too late. I think the community here is great, there are a lot of helpful people, you just have to look harder sometimes.

To them and a lot of others, this is a full time gig. Maybe they just don't have the time to post every little thing they do. As Insaneophobia said, Alia was streaming progress on twitch. You shouldn't blame others for something you did or did not do.
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    i think the main problem is the hard competition. I dont blame em for joining the contest, but hell it just got way harder to be able to score. so some people might think twice about joining now.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Coyo.Te wrote: »
    i think the main problem is the hard competition. I dont blame em for joining the contest, but hell it just got way harder to be able to score. so some people might think twice about joining now.

That seems like an incredibly selfish and just straight up shitty way to think about the event.

Should we all hope that every other equally good or 'better' artist skip the event so the 'lesser' ones have a better shot at it? That says quite a lot about some users here, and is probably one of the reasons a lot of people is stopping to post here, because whenever someone makes a post like Alia did, we get those kinds of replies. I don't mean to offend anyone, but I can't say I'm a big fan of the attitude of a few users in relation to other artists here lately. Everyone just blames third parties and/or other artists for their lack of success.

sorry for the rant
  • Ziedrich
    I am with Reza on this one. Once you make up your mind it should NEVER be changed. I told myself I wasn't going to have coffee this morning, and dammit, I WAITED UNTIL NOON. That's what individuals with integrity do. Have some respect for yourselves, Chem-Dry. I expected more from you.
  • ShorkGamer
    Offline / Send Message
    ShorkGamer polycounter lvl 7
    Calm down and enjoy Dota 2.
  • Chemical Alia
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    Oh holy shit, this thread.
    I'll just say what I think, ok?
    I don't know what others think but I think this is simply embarrassing!!!
    You guys are known artists, when u say that u r not joining an event and bring up reasons on why you decide so, you influence people, specially the new comers. Then without saying a word that you have changed your mind you come here and drop a product that is concepted, sculpted and textured then you say oh hehe we changed our mind!!!

Dude, are you seriously going to say this? I find it insulting that your first reaction to seeing our sculpt is that I've been following an evil plan all along to scare off potential competitors.
    Is this really how a community should work? Telling people that something is risky and that you dont want to take that risk(and that probably thats your advice to others)and secretly working on it and then just showcasing the end result?
    I thought forum is an interactive place not a show case place. And I also thought it's a place to discuss and share not to advice something and secretly do the opposite.
    As several other people have noted, we've been streaming the entire process so far on both our twitch channels, and have shared our progress on several other sites. I guess we neglected Polycount (what with this happening directly over the holidays and being super hella busy constantly), but since when is this some sort of requirement? I'm not obliged to post this anywhere.

If I wanted to keep it a secret until the deadline, that's well within my right. I hate to break it to you, but people WILL do this. Really good artists, who have been keeping their progress to themselves and working all the way til the last minute are gonna show up with some amazing, baller work. They might even do the same hero as you, and they don't owe you the courtesy of a heads-up. This happens in literally every contest. This goes back to why I though having a contest for the January chest was kind of a bad thing, but whether or not you choose to participate is entirely up to you.

Some of the concerns I had after reading the blog have since been alleviated after discussing it at length with Drysocket (who actually did want to enter), and some other Workshop friends who are also participating. I spent a lot of time in the concept phase trying to minimize those issues further, which led to the choice of this particular hero and design.

Also, we're nowhere near done. That's simply the high poly sculpt polypainted in Zbrush for presentation. I may try using a projection of these colors as a basic start for texturing, but haven't found it to be the most efficient approach in the past, so we'll see.
    here, a comment that fits your type community: OMG SO EPIC AND GOOD. I WANT THAT SET NOW. VOLVO PLZ! I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE IT IN GAME!!! WOWOWOW! SO ACE. MERRY BELATED CHRISTMAS! HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    Needlessly aggressive.

Anyway, this workshop stuff is what pays our bills. We decided that we can't afford to simply skip the event, so instead we are making the best of it by doing the best work we can with a design we are both 100% excited about. Which is what we all should be doing. I hope you understand.
    hopgood wrote: »
    Looking really good. Personally, I am not a huge fan of the head slot for this set though. It doesn't really have that nice flowing, "aerodynamic" look that Spectre has. I am not sure if it is the "hair" part being too large or the flower being too prominent but it seems too top heavy to me. Otherwise, this is looking really nice, congrats guys.

Yeah, this was my number one concern from the concept, especially since I never drew a side or top view. I think Dry did a pretty great job of making sure it has a more dynamic shape when viewed from the top down, but we'll be sure to get it imported in-game asap to make any additional tweaks to the proportions or shape that might help that. I expect to be making some big tweaks to the colors and shifting them more towards red and adjusting things to work with the heavy, dark particles around her. Thanks for the suggestions!

top_shaded_by_chemicalalia-d8bq2k9.jpg
    Ziedrich wrote: »
    I am with Reza on this one. Once you make up your mind it should NEVER be changed. I told myself I wasn't going to have coffee this morning, and dammit, I WAITED UNTIL NOON. That's what individuals with integrity do. Have some respect for yourselves, Chem-Dry. I expected more from you.

Schooled, lol. I rescind my text wall! c:
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, this was my number one concern from the concept, especially since I never drew a side or top view. I think Dry did a pretty great job of making sure it has a more dynamic shape when viewed from the top down, but we'll be sure to get it imported in-game asap to make any additional tweaks to the proportions or shape that might help that. Thanks for the suggestions!

I really like the current shape because it is so different from the rest of her heads, but at the same time it seems like it will retain some of the ethereal flowy feeling that Spectre has. I am happy to see you guys decided to participate this new bloom, and I am really excited to see this set completed. Happy Hatting!
  • pear
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Edit - Removed to stop further hounding. Good point Kite. :poly124:
  • Toasty
    Ok peoples, you've made your point now. Don't stoop to bulling/crushing someone to do it. Lets move on.

-Toasty
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus wrote: »
    If there is one thing I hate to see, it is this community being torn apart, especially by such underhanded tactics.

:thumbup: Lets get back to making some killer hats! Happy Hatting all!
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    belkun wrote: »
    That seems like an incredibly selfish and just straight up shitty way to think about the event.

Should we all hope that every other equally good or 'better' artist skip the event so the 'lesser' ones have a better shot at it? That says quite a lot about some users here, and is probably one of the reasons a lot of people is stopping to post here, because whenever someone makes a post like Alia did, we get those kinds of replies. I don't mean to offend anyone, but I can't say I'm a big fan of the attitude of a few users in relation to other artists here lately. Everyone just blames third parties and/or other artists for their lack of success.

sorry for the rant

dude, you are reading my post wrong if you are implying that I might think this way. read my latest posts throughout the forum, fuckt it, read all my posts
    throughout the forum. i am always in for good stuff and enjoy seeing it come to light even though it might be and certainly is competition. I for myself enjoy the community and have learned alot through clearly better artists than myself.

Whats the point of not submitting something to the contest anyway if you are only submitting because of prices and winning the competition. thats downright stupid if you ask me cause you are limiting yourself and might be here for the wrong reasons.

edit: btw alia, bloody good work as usual!