Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    Just finished making the base mesh for the Spring2014 Abaddon set. Concept by foxclover/fox/fishie!

wp6abtd.jpg

Will start on sculpting and refining form, if needed. Please feedback any comments. Greatly appreciate them.

That looks less like a base mesh and more like a piece nearing completion! Looks great. I notice the pony proportions are quite hidden now that Abaddon is on it.

@EtotheRic - I agree with Reyne; Perhaps try using the original beastmaster summon colours? Lycan has red and grey/black wolves as well. Without having a game view of both of them it's a little hard to tell whether they'd clash, but if I'd had to guess I'd say they would cause some confusion.
  • Zalakzik
    After a little searching, i discovered that my alch cny set only one in whole workshop who wasnt tagged with "Spring2014" :( . I feel myself super pathetic
    kGKOMlM.jpg
  • Oroboros
    Might have something to do with the fact that Steam Dev Days is going on right now. It just ended so hopefully the tagging will get back on track soon.
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Finally my morphling mask is done :D

08F38DD268D5A2E11035DFD85CE2485F6056C727

Concept: (For Spring 2014)
    This item is based on Morphling's main ability to morph his agility and strength stats. It is represented with two horses facing each other, both made of gold however the left known as the mask of Strength is red with the word Strength etched on the mask in Mandarin (Chinese). The right known as the mask of Agility is in green with the Mandarin (Chinese) word for Agility etched on the mask it self. We thought it would fit the Morphling concept really well as horses are both agile and strong and they also relate to the event itself. We hope you like the idea and the item itself.

Lore:

Heavy lies the head that wears the crown, so has been the way of things in the kingdom of Azarakhsh, one king dying after another, assassinated, poisoned or killed by what it seems only months after they have been elected for ruleship. The royal line was getting very thin, and Samand the son of Rakhsh was next in line for the throne, however he did not want to loose his head or die by some traitor in the kingdom, however what could he do, there was seemingly no hope, until one day he found a secret shopkeeper that promised to fashion him an item that could save him from the fate that was expecting him. In order to make the item the shopkeeper fused the essence of agility and strength into a crown mask similar in shape of two horses facing one another.

The crown was worn by King Samand and he found himself surrounded by unimaginable power. High physical strength which was followed by a high endurance, and a high agility for which he could dodge any incoming arrows coming his way. After the fall of the ancient moon, the kingdom of Azarakhsh was destoryed completely and this mask remained buried deep down in the rubble, a place where light could not reach . . . but water could. Thus Morphling was able to penetrate the rubble of once great city and reclaim the mask for himself. This crown will aid Morphling well in the defense of the ancients, for only the strongest and most agile can defend their ancients against the opposing forces.
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Starting on a Bloodseeker blade i've had an idea for a while.

iOTYqNt.jpg
  • Zambash
    Offline / Send Message
    Zambash polycounter lvl 4
    Prophet9 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I wanted to share with you our new Wraith King sword, created by Stefco and myself.

Soulstrike by Stefco and Prophet9

F7082844FF51915B3A0E11ABB8FC3F3CFE5E2079

Cheers!

Very cool sword, that ripple design is awesome! Only critique I can think of is that there is something slightly off about the shade of greenish-yellow on the part that goes up over the blade, but very cool design and very well executed.
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Just finished the sculpt of this DS set...

Y6JUwB5.png
  • bounchfx
    really cool design Motenai - love his back tentacles! they look just like mine.

(seriously though, great work!)
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Motenai finally a set for darkseer that I would like to play with :D It has this slight Protos feeling that in my opinion suit this hero well. Sculpt is just badass...
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    Remember, Valve doesn't do weekends very well, especially sundays!
    So try to get your stuff uploaded today or the following monday, because chances are it won't get tagged until after the weekend.
  • Hudston
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    I have yet another question for you all with something that has bothered me for awhile. Whenever I try to bake to my low poly (using xNormal), I get these strange artefacts wherever there is a very sharp edge like on the point of this blade:

NZEJeQS.jpg

This is from baking with a cage and averaged normals, but something similar happens when using the tools in xNormal too.

I've used some pretty hacky ways to deal with this in the past (on the wing tips of the Wyrmeleon hatchling, I just painted over the normals...) but it's about time I actually figured out why this happens in the first place and how to stop it. Google isn't being terribly useful, so I thought I'd consult you lovely people. Thoughts?
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    Maybe it passed through the cage? Whenever I get artifacts on edges of an AO/normal I usually just use the smudge tool in photoshop to get a clean edge(smudge it past the UV line).
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Hudston, I'm gonna assume the sword is mirrored on the Z-axis? Does the edge have hardened normals?
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Hudston wrote: »
    I have yet another question for you all with something that has bothered me for awhile. Whenever I try to bake to my low poly (using xNormal), I get these strange artefacts wherever there is a very sharp edge like on the point of this blade:

This is from baking with a cage and averaged normals, but something similar happens when using the tools in xNormal too.

I've used some pretty hacky ways to deal with this in the past (on the wing tips of the Wyrmeleon hatchling, I just painted over the normals...) but it's about time I actually figured out why this happens in the first place and how to stop it. Google isn't being terribly useful, so I thought I'd consult you lovely people. Thoughts?

This could do with UV splits and smoothing groups. The hamon of the blade should have a separate smoothing group on each side. You then need to split the UV shell in the same fashion. Your other option would be bake an object space normal map, and run it and your low poly through handplane, this could give you perfect results with a single smoothing group

Edit: are you baking then mirror, or mirror offsetting and baking? baking with just one side of the blade could also help
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    nice motenai, looking good. your own design?
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Boonta wrote: »
    nice motenai, looking good. your own design?

No it's a old concept from the guy i did the Death Prophet set together with...
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @Motenai

Oh man, those tentacles are just absolutely sick. Beautiful set! Just not that keen on the bracers. They look amazing, but Dark Seer is all about punching your face with bare hands.

Some updates on the Abaddon helm!

Qht4BIR.jpg
  • Hudston
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto wrote: »
    Hudston, I'm gonna assume the sword is mirrored on the Z-axis? Does the edge have hardened normals?

You'd be correct on both counts, there.

Kite212 wrote:
    This could do with UV splits and smoothing groups. The hamon of the blade should have a separate smoothing group on each side. You then need to split the UV shell in the same fashion. Your other option would be bake an object space normal map, and run it and your low poly through handplane, this could give you perfect results with a single smoothing group

Edit: are you baking then mirror, or mirror offsetting and baking? baking with just one side of the blade could also help

I offset then bake usually and I just tried baking one half of the mesh on it's own, which made a difference to the artefact but didn't exactly fix it. :P

The problem is also right along the edge of the blade where the texture is mirrored, so it's naturally on the edge of a UV shell and I've baked it with several variations of hard and soft normals (I use Maya, I don't think it has smoothing groups as such. Correct me if I'm wrong, I often am. :))

I've never actually used handplane, I'll give that a try.

In any event, this effect is not really that noticeable in game so it's hardly a show stopper, I just hate having a gap in my knowledge!
  • Nannou
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    @Huston, try split up the 3 edges connecting at the tip and make them hard.

Also, are anyone using MESA for Maya and are able to load animations? I would appreciate a quick guide.
  • Hudston
    Offline / Send Message
    Handplane did the trick. See, this is why I love you guys! :D
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Handplane did the trick. See, this is why I love you guys! :D

For your knowledge and stuffs, the idea with handplane is that is will not care about the normals of the low poly mesh, it will throw them away, and give you a prefect normal map that will resolve normal errors like this. Now i have been having tons of issues with handplane my self, and want to sort it out and have some ideas. would you mind letting me know what program you exported from? I keep getting bad tangents, from a workflow that has worked, and I am thinking exporting from a different package may help me
  • Hudston
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »
    For your knowledge and stuffs, the idea with handplane is that is will not care about the normals of the low poly mesh, it will throw them away, and give you a prefect normal map that will resolve normal errors like this. Now i have been having tons of issues with handplane my self, and want to sort it out and have some ideas. would you mind letting me know what program you exported from? I keep getting bad tangents, from a workflow that has worked, and I am thinking exporting from a different package may help me

Everything was exported from Maya. It took a bit of fiddling to get it working right but that was mainly down to me being an idiot with my UVs.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything was exported from Maya. It took a bit of fiddling to get it working right but that was mainly down to me being an idiot with my UVs.

Well one of my workaround idea was exporting from maya, what was the us issue, just didnt offset them? Or something else?
  • Hudston
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I was using a copy of the mesh where I hadn't offset the UVs by mistake.
  • PKSpark
    Just updated that horse armor, the clouds carvings were unreadable on distance

55quxj.jpg
    Link!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=216676452
  • ILM
    Offline / Send Message
    ILM polycounter lvl 7
    motenai, i hope you've recorded the process for youtube :) i love watching how you use all of your tools.
  • darkartsofneko
    After the comments on my previous spear I started reworking some parts, and then ended up redoing the whole thing. Overall, I'm happy with the final result. I'm not super thrilled with the end of the spear (the part with the pendant) but due to time constraints and lack of inspiration, I'd say it's not horrible. New Enchantress spear is in the workshop :)

J_CNY_Preview_Weapon_zpsa8cdc8b4.jpg
    Found Here
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Grats to those who got their sets in (mostly pro player sets). Also a big change was that old sets were normalized to newer pricing.
  • Fewes
    Offline / Send Message
    Fewes polycounter lvl 8
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well done Fewes !
  • Fewes
    Offline / Send Message
    Fewes polycounter lvl 8
    I think I might have just messed up and put a symbol for longevity or prosperity on Invoker's back though, whoops.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo4w2rVM65c"][SFM] "The Three Virtues" - Spring 2014 (Dota 2) - YouTube[/ame]

Here's the video I put together for our Red Moon collaboration with Boonta and Pior. Considering I just picked up SFM at the start of this year, I'm happy with what I put together in such short time. Cheers!
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    AWW YEH ! GREAT WORK GUYS! was fun being apart of it!
  • Prosomogy
    AndrewHelenek cool ;3
    Wip, jugger weapon
    Yj1565O6NU4.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Hey guys! We submitted our collaboration, titled 'The Three Virtues'.

It was a collab between Red Moon (bounchfx, Oroboros, and Andrew Helenek), Pior, and Boonta, with multitud3 helping out on the HUD. All in all, we submitted 3 sets WITH custom remnants for each, 4 loading screens, and a HUD. It was a ton of work but I think we are all proud of what we were able to accomplish in the last couple weeks. Here's the collection page link, hope you guys like it!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=217835377

922577_480864852023886_35998871_o.jpg
  • Paskie
    Damn! Some stellar stuff right there folks. GJ all of you. Mother of god,
    that hair on Earth, so good!
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Ummm I don't know what to say. That is possibly the best collection of items and the best workshop video I have ever seen.

Looks like the workshop just stepped up another level.
  • Robobobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Robobobo polycounter lvl 6
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Wow, I just... have no words for this. I wake up and there is a buttload of amazing stuff! Absolutely insane work guys.
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Absolutely amazing. Nice and refreshing to see people finding ways of presenting their content better.
  • oDD
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    I don't comment much because I don't want to clutter the thread but this time i just need to. those red moon sets are boss! great work guys!
  • MagnoHusein
    gosh, you guys just went too far! amazing guys!
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic work, had I known this was going to be the case I would have picked another hero to do a set for Hahaha
  • PKSpark
    Very nice sets. I'll vote them all up
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Red Moon new meta, amazing work to everyone involved, these will be great additions to Dota :thumbup:
  • FAT_CAP
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    @BounchFX/ Helenk/ Pior etc - AMAZING work on that set guys. The quality is amazing and the amount of talent and hard work really shines through! Upvoted for sure.

Anybody had this problem when submitting items before?

After pressing the SUBMIT button it takes me to a page displaying the error:

Sorry!
    An error was encountered while processing your request:

That item does not exist. It may have been removed by the author.

Here's a link to the Steam Community home page.

No matter how many times I log out/ back in/ restart the computer/ try different items, I still get the same error message.

Anybody have a fix? I feel like I've encountered EVERY problem possible in this whole process! So near...yet so far!
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Is anyone still facing issues with the importer?! It's still not working properly for some heroes :(((
  • improviz
    Hey guys, I need your help. I have a problem with animation of pudge's hook.
    I bind hook to the bone: weapon_rt_1 but how to fix it?
    Qhzb0AN.jpg
    (I use Blender)
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_mzlqvfsnGW1r43xj0o1_1280.jpg
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=217937199

Finally uploaded this weapon I did with NFWar I nearly forgot about it.

Also improviz, what model type are you exporting?
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    @makers of Three Virtues

In all seriousness. That compilation, I'd call it a set but its just so muc more, is gold. From presentation to models, you guys nailed it. And a 23 piece item dump on top of that?

Let it be forever be known that the 18 of the first month in the year Twenty One Four was the day that shit got real.