Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• OniLolz
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome! Loved the face in the middle :)
    Maybe you should make the "eye" bigger.
  • PoPcorn
    Giiyom wrote: »
    Hello,
    I have a question for you guys.

Are we allowed to modify rigs of characters?
    I'm working on a set and I want to put a very long ponytail on my character and I was wondering if I could modify the bones for it?

Does Valve allows that?

Thx

Not as far as I know.
  • Dvonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    PoPcorn wrote: »
    Not as far as I know.

Quote from the requirements page, geometry section:

Your item's geometry should be skin-weighted to the default hero skeleton from their "_model.ma" maya file. Additional bones may be added but must be rooted to one of the joints in the hero skeleton. That said, there are constraints on the number of bones a hero may have, so be conservative in using them. If this is an issue we will let you know.

http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements#geometry

So, modifying no, but you can add more it seems.

hope it helps!
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Giiyom wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm working on a set and I want to put a very long ponytail on my character and I was wondering if I could modify the bones for it?

Does Valve allows that?

Thx

yes they allow but that make the process of beeing accepted harder =]

guys, im reworking my gatuja courier. i would love some feedback on it

2AuqA
    2Aute

this is the old one

637x358.resizedimage
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    RossC wrote: »
    Alright, how is this?

Degreased the hair, added a color gradient that matches her helmet/armor rather than her pants and made the point light map less subtle. Not sure if I should tone down the rimlight shaders or specular more? I made it focus more on where light would be hitting the hair rather than everywhere.

kIxRK5I.jpg

The texture and color are way better but the specular exponent still needs work. The spec should be a lot wider and less sharp. Hair has a wide gloss, not tight. If you can't achieve it with her shader, you are better off turning the spec down.
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    The mask of the healing wanderer - Witchdoctor Head

promoshot-tiki2-blur_small.jpg

ok its in the workshop now. fingers crossed. :)
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    @Tvidotto
    The backpack looks cool but the body looks a bit square for lack of a better word. It lacks the sleek dynamic shape that the old one had. I think it would really help to give the muscle groups a lot more definition and raise the shoulder blades up more. Here's some sexy reference.
    http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g42/281742/281742_1284557792_large.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    @Tvidotto
    The backpack looks cool but the body looks a bit square for lack of a better word. It lacks the sleek dynamic shape that the old one had. I think it would really help to give the muscle groups a lot more definition and raise the shoulder blades up more. Here's some sexy reference.
    http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g42/281742/281742_1284557792_large.jpg

that is a really sexy ref, loved it. will help a lot =]

and here is the owl

2AvLh
    2AvLD]
    2AvM7
  • Mark.N
    Giiyom wrote:
    Hello,

Does Valve allows that?

Thx
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    yes they allow but that make the process of beeing accepted harder =]

It's more of a no*...But I wouldn't count on it

*If item is balls out awesome and beloved by Valve they will add it regardless
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    This is an idea I had in mind for a long time, just forced myself to make a concept sketch of it. I might not start right away but what do you think of it?

pimpmyogre.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Jee9qZ6.jpg
    First thing with animation I've submitted to the Workshop... be kind D:
    Robobobo is an awesome concept artist/texturer - pleasure to work with.
  • vikk0
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    marul wrote: »
    This is an idea I had in mind for a long time, just forced myself to make a concept sketch of it. I might not start right away but what do you think of it?

pimpmyogre.jpg
    Hey Marul! Cool concept, however I should say that it goes completely against Alchemist's lore, as his description says. Well, it could work if Razzil was able to transmutate gold (which could make him a king), but still I'd say that it isn't the most secure way. And also, the ogre looks kinda persian to me.
  • Trow
    that is a really sexy ref, loved it. will help a lot =]

and here is the owl

2AvLh
    2AvLD]
    2AvM7

Really cute bird, though there are a couple of things that stand out to me.

The wings aren't shaped like there is anatomy under the feathers.
    I found a reference on the web that shows how they are structured.
    http://leung-jess.blogspot.com/2012/09/great-horned-owl-wing.html

Also, they have more of a fan shaped tail, so maybe that could be filled in with feathers.

The feet and talons could be more prominent and maybe even exaggerated some.

You captured the face really well, and it's very appealing.
    Overall, though I really like the feel of it and I think it's a really neat idea.

Just my two cents worth :)
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Update. Made the fringe more focused on swaying to the left. Reworked texture/masks.
    mFeKPKp.jpg
    Cd5Bwz0.jpg
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    RossC, I think the problem lies mostly on the geometry: The hair is separated in thik bundles without any object holding them that way, thus I think no matter what you do with the textures it will look strange.

My two cents is that either you add some rings/straps/any object that hint a binding on the top of the locks or make them less sparse.
  • pixelherder
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelherder polycounter lvl 18
    freaking amazing! =]
    penOr wrote: »
    That looks fantastic pixelherder.

Man the quality you guys are producing on these couriers is flat out amazing

cheers for the nice comments!

so this is what kept me busy the last few hours - wip/first pass at getting him skinned tonight!

skinning_wip01_zpsd77fd53f.jpg
  • PKSpark
    1ekvo.jpg
    That was the WIP of my Kunkka Pipe before another one got submitted in the Workshop right now.
    Third time this happens to me urrrgggh...! Should i keep the pipe? Or discard it?
    Do you happen to be working on an item when the same idea got submitted to the Workshop?
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    vikk0 wrote: »
    Hey Marul! Cool concept, however I should say that it goes completely against Alchemist's lore, as his description says. Well, it could work if Razzil was able to transmutate gold (which could make him a king), but still I'd say that it isn't the most secure way. And also, the ogre looks kinda persian to me.

I don't think it really goes against his lore, after all he has been searching for a way to transmute gold for all his life and that's what the agreement between him and the ogre is all about. The real problem with the concept is there's just too much gold and the ogre's already yellow by default. I think i'll just make the hand of midas and scrape the rest (or wait for some other great idea)

Edit: Persian?? :S
  • PKSpark
    marul wrote: »
    I don't think it really goes against his lore, after all he has been searching for a way to transmute gold for all his life and that's what the agreement between him and the ogre is all about. The real problem with the concept is there's just too much gold and the ogre's already yellow by default. I think i'll just make the hand of midas and scrape the rest (or wait for some other great idea)

Base your Alch design on something flamboyant like Fable 3 civilians character design, with tons of jewelry and such, it fits the "pimping" concept without the LA vibe.
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    @marul
    If you're looking for the pimp angle, I think you could go much, much farther. For example, you could keep the goblet, and give the character an obnoxious fur coat and suit with a snazzy dress hat. I think it would be kinda funny if the ogre wore an obviously stuffed torpedo bra with the seat harness somehow integrated into/out of it. For the ogre's headpiece, he could wear a long-haired wig, and his bracers could be simple bracelets... Or, you could do a complete reversal. Crap. I wish I'd thought of that. That'd be fun to make...

Considering making a courier. Cross-post with my thread...

RatCourierConcept.jpg

I'm trying to figure out whether this or the Jugg/Ursa set I concepted previously would be a better use of some free time I have coming up.

As for how I imagine this thing working, I'm thinking that he stands bipedal normally, but on all fours when running. Though, that seems like a bit of a rigging challenge... I'm still trying to figure out ways to make this rat fly aside from the thumbs seen in the concept. Maybe a hang-glider? Or something...

Crits? Great thoughts?
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    PKSpark wrote: »
    That was the WIP of my Kunkka Pipe before another one got submitted in the Workshop right now.
    Third time this happens to me urrrgggh...! Should i keep the pipe? Or discard it?
    Do you happen to be working on an item when the same idea got submitted to the Workshop?

Keep working on it. Provided your presentation and quality of work is better it will get the recognition it deserves. I assume the one you were talking about is this one;

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=139346379&searchtext=

I hope this isn't anyone on Polycount but I feel you could do a much better job just with presentation to come out ahead. Especially considering I don't see any in game shots there.
  • vikk0
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    @DashXero Loved the concept! Give him some goggles for flying!!! :)
  • vikk0
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    @DashXero Loved the concept! Give him some goggles for flying haste!!! :)
  • Zaphk
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    DashXero, this concept is awesome!

I had some time to do the marketing picture today. Now everything is done!
    AZ0xasF.jpg?1
  • sadies
    Zaphk wrote: »

AZ0xasF.jpg?1

that looks so great!! wonderful job!
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    @vikk0
    Thank you! That's the plan! Great idea!

@Zaphk
    Thanks! That's a really impressive marketing image! I really like it. The sense of motion, especially.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4

AZ0xasF.jpg?1

Amazing work! I love it :) If this wouldn't get into the game nothing will..

I've did some concepting / high poly modeling on a rifle for Sniper. Wanted to go for an different direction. The idea is that the rifle can transformed into a very long range barrel. Not really sure about the gear like object on the front. A real gear would need to much tri's, but I'm not really liking it so far.

Any comments is welcome!

anudus0.jpg
  • Paskie
  • RoqueDemon
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    Paskie wrote: »
    Hmm, i guess it's time to stop posting my concepts :(http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=138552978

0QvzV26.jpg

Report that shit. I did.
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @Paskie that really sucks :(
    I don't understand, there are so many concept artists here just waiting to collaborate, but still some pricks will still ideas from others. Of course this can be only coincidence, however yeah pigs might fly to...
    I would gladly hear any official statement from Valve regarding incidents like this.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Hmm, i guess it's time to stop posting my concepts :(http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=138552978

0QvzV26.jpg

That really sucks, but you can aways report the item!

Also are you sure the blade isn't used in any reference or something, you never know exactly if he saw and used your concept offcourse :s
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14

AZ0xasF.jpg?1

Niiice! You might want to remove the url at the bottom. Valve rules and all...
    Not contain an artist/author signature or logo
  • OniLolz
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 12
    Niiice! You might want to remove the url at the bottom. Valve rules and all...

Oh, the version we submitted didn't contain the url :) That was just for portfolio purposes.

But thanks!
  • Paskie
    @Andy125 Not that i know of, i checked the other PA weapons in the workshop before posting it to be sure. @Konras, i agree. I'm always open for collaboration so this bums me out. I not the one who usually whines but this seems a little bit too close to the concept to be a coincidence from my point of view. Truer to the concept than i was ^^

Think i'll finish my version regardless, just finished the retopo last night. Today is dota2 inhouse day with friends, so i don't think i'll be doing any bakes tonight.
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    @Paskie, dang man. That sucks. I do find the guy's name is oddly appropriate. "Tom Ganks" because he ganked your concept.
  • Giiyom
    Offline / Send Message
    Giiyom polycounter lvl 9
    @Paskie : That's sad. I'm afraid to post concepts too now.
  • vikk0
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    @Paskie, man that sucks...It feels like we can't post concepts anymore. Anyway, count on us to help you out on reporting that dude.
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @Guys I belive it's Tom Ganks polycount thread, so maybe he would be able to explain this situation here...
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119318
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message

0QvzV26.jpg

i dont think we need to worry with that paskie, i would be mad with this guy too if i was in your place, but we have a lot of ways to prevent him to get further with your concept

going to talk with him to understand what happened
    Trow wrote: »
    Really cute bird, though there are a couple of things that stand out to me.

The wings aren't shaped like there is anatomy under the feathers.
    I found a reference on the web that shows how they are structured.
    http://leung-jess.blogspot.com/2012/09/great-horned-owl-wing.html

Also, they have more of a fan shaped tail, so maybe that could be filled in with feathers.

The feet and talons could be more prominent and maybe even exaggerated some.

You captured the face really well, and it's very appealing.
    Overall, though I really like the feel of it and I think it's a really neat idea.

Just my two cents worth :)

yay, thanks man, that is an amazing feedback

and about that guy that spammed a lot of messages, i checked his profile and he is a new user. new users got their messages blocked till they are approved. he probably posted a lot of time because he wasnt seeing his messages on the forum.
  • Paskie
    Woohoo! Check this out :)http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/04/16/how-to-make-a-living-selling-virtual-hats Good stuff Anuxi!

Yeah, maybe best to have a little chat with him.

• Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers paskie :D

Really? Someone stole your PA concept!? Damm some people have no skill D:
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Woohoo! Check this out :)http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/04/16/how-to-make-a-living-selling-virtual-hats Good stuff Anuxi!

Yeah, maybe best to have a little chat with him.

we have a famous girl around =]
  • shellnut
    Here's what I have done tonight.. Still stuck up with this .[0].[w]. LOL. I revised the previous design and retopologized Lod0 and Lod1.

OLD [0][W].
    8655899293_092b775172_b.jpg

NEW REVISED DESIGN!
    8655897403_aae6b4ed9d_b.jpg

@Paskie
    Last month I was searching for real life [0][w] pictures as reference and while browsing google pictures I saw my first [0][w] sculpt that I posted in this same thread before I made these new ones above.

Maybe that dude search it up in google pictures and didn't think it came from polycount forums.

When we post our concepts here or anypictures that has tag in it, it can be accessible in the whole web. So as I edit this I will remove the word [0][w] so it wont be searched in google or anywhere. That's another thing I'm thinking of that can help protect your creation aside from not posting concepts.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    shellnut wrote: »
    Last month I was searching for real life [0][w] pictures as reference and while browsing google pictures I saw my first [0][w] sculpt that I posted in this same thread before I made these new ones above.
    Whew, can't you just press a report button and add a link to your polycount post to cinfirm you're the concept owner?
  • shellnut
    Whew, can't you just press a report button and add a link to your polycount post to cinfirm you're the concept owner?

hmmm. what if someone search it upon google, copy it and use in some other game? lol
  • Uliss
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    shellnut wrote: »
    hmmm. what if someone search it upon google, copy it and use in some other game? lol
    Awww, look at you flattering yourself!

In that case you find a way to contact the legal department at the game company that put it in their game and try to clear the things with them with the links to your polycount posts and all the other stuff.

You can't stop people from finding your images nowaday, even your l33tb[0]\_|_/ pic is already tagged, stored and i bet it'll show on some of the searches that just have words "polycount" and "dota2".

You have to realize that polycount is a public place and even right now there's a bunch of people including guest users browsing these threads. So i think you should not get pants-on-head defending and just post normally.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Uliss wrote: »
    Now its on workshop. Thanks for the feedback )

xgN7Pru.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=139656457

Grats on that finish man! :D

I probably would have made the thumb a little less blurry/hard to make out whats going on. I like thumbs that are clean and easy to assess. But thats just personal preference really, i think :)

Grats mate!
  • shellnut
    Awww, look at you flattering yourself!

In that case you find a way to contact the legal department at the game company that put it in their game and try to clear the things with them with the links to your polycount posts and all the other stuff.

You can't stop people from finding your images nowaday, even your l33tb[0]\_|_/ pic is already tagged, stored and i bet it'll show on some of the searches that just have words "polycount" and "dota2".

You have to realize that polycount is a public place and even right now there's a bunch of people including guest users browsing these threads. So i think you should not get pants-on-head defending and just post normally.

I see. The web is really not a safe place. Well then. I don't understand about the 'flaterring myself'. I'm just a jolly person.. lol