Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Finish my PL spear. Its a chinese monk's spear so I'll use this for spring 2014 but I can't find a way to tag it.
    Monk's Spade by GhostDetector

nGFPNPa.jpg
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    SMD files will properly display textures in the importer
    SMD FOR LIFE
  • cottonwings
    Vlad finished my Warlock's staff and golem to the workshop! Should there be enough time it's still possible to submit the full set up, please give it a vote.

QfgykR6.jpg XtzCkX3.jpg
  • Paskie
    SMD files will properly display textures in the importer
    SMD FOR LIFE

That is exactly what I wanted to hear!
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Is this year of the Gyrocopter in Chinese calendar?
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Why does everyone NOT use SMD files anyway? everytime I ask it's always an FBX breaking or something.

I think the question should be:

Why did Valve break FBX import a week before a major /competition update. Especially with them pushing Modo as a workshop tool, it only does FBX right?

I almost bought it to fix my issues which turned out to be completely different. Again Valve.

On the Workshop page they say "Use THIS MODEL" and also "Don't use Decompiles".

The Kotl model is out dated and I've been rigging, re-rigging, banging head on wall, starting over, downloading Modo, blender, maya demos...
    Anything I can to export successfully. FBX would export 'correctly' with texture problems, SMD would export rig problems.

A friend then gave me a decompiled model and I had it in game working in 5 minutes :(

As hard as they push Workshop they really need to have proper rigs uploaded or something.
  • Dvonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    What smd exporter are you guys using?

Im using this one but the weapon ingame is displaced a lot (exporting fbx works fine except for gray texture xD)

841d6d9b30.png

Something im not checking? Thanks!
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    I use blender for export to smd is just 1 click thing. All you have to do is select the mesh and path (where the file saves) and it exports to that folder with the mesh's name.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Dvonio wrote: »
    What smd exporter are you guys using?

Im using this one but the weapon ingame is displaced a lot (exporting fbx works fine except for gray texture xD)

Something im not checking? Thanks!

What hero are you using? I had a similar experience when helping Baddcog, and using an updated rig+smd resolved all issues. Personally I use the connonfodder importer/exporter, and it has made my workflow pretty bullet proof for source engine
  • Dvonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    kite212 wrote: »
    What hero are you using? I had a similar experience when helping Baddcog, and using an updated rig+smd resolved all issues. Personally I use the connonfodder importer/exporter, and it has made my workflow pretty bullet proof for source engine

Its for Legion commander so I think the files will be updated, the thing is that the fbx works fine, rigged in pose and all that except getting gray textures, but with this smd the rig is just desplaced, rotated and all that kind of weird stuff.

I also tried to re-rig again multiple times but keep getting the same error, and Im using cannonfodders too, the new version that is included in wall worm tools.

• Vextrakt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6
    I use Maya and I cannot for the life of me get MESA to export out a proper SMD. Spent hours last night working with MESA 2.0 and every time I export out my meshes as SMD they are 18 KB files at most and obviously don't work. I have tried to follow the export tutorial but even despite setting up the file as told, I get the same blank SMD results.

I've also tried to import my FBXs into max from maya and using the max SMD exporter, but it always loses the weighting.

Lastly, I'm working on a Storm Spirit set and the bug fix to his armor slot has not been patched to the test client, so any armor slot SMDs I can pull from the importer is bugged.

I fokin lost, man :(
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Its for Legion commander so I think the files will be updated, the thing is that the fbx works fine, rigged in pose and all that except getting gray textures, but with this smd the rig is just desplaced, rotated and all that kind of weird stuff.

I also tried to re-rig again multiple times but keep getting the same error, and Im using cannonfodders too, the new version that is included in wall worm tools.

That's the exact issue I was having with headgear.

I dl'ed the kotl model from the official workshop dl page. It is old :(

Once kite got me a new rig it was done in minutes.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message

What item slot? If you have not done this yet, have your model in a new scene, import the reference smd from the tech page, and re-rig to this and export.
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Does anyone know of an smd exporter that works with 3ds max 2014?
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK wrote: »

Only wallworm tools, other wise cannonfodder cutoff is 2012
  • Dvonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    What item slot? If you have not done this yet, have your model in a new scene, import the reference smd from the tech page, and re-rig to this and export.

Weapon, gonna try that, thanks
  • Dvonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4

Nah, weapon is in the same spot and rerigging it there still not works :( thanks for the help mate.

valve please fix fbx! xD
  • foxclover
    50A16F518064972F5CA384EF86A430A33BB4634CB03B17D6322173471C113114CFBCC9D4DDB84FE9

Finished the Mirana mount; I got some comments to rework the textures, but I'm not sure if that's necessary. I've also changed the horn shape from the thumbnail (though it's correct in the screenshots), but I was wondering if you guys had any other crit for it. :> Thanks!
  • Plant
    foxclover wrote: »
    50A16F518064972F5CA384EF86A430A33BB4634CB03B17D6322173471C113114CFBCC9D4DDB84FE9

Finished the Mirana mount; I got some comments to rework the textures, but I'm not sure if that's necessary. I've also changed the horn shape from the thumbnail (though it's correct in the screenshots), but I was wondering if you guys had any other crit for it. :> Thanks!

I will be honest here, that texture looks very WIP. Is it final with all the masks setup? The top to bottom gradient is hardly noticable, and the geometry seems rather poor.

If you desaturate the image you will see very low value contrast in it. Please take this as constructive criticism, would be curious if others agree.

qLfAgYk.jpg
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah, weapon is in the same spot and rerigging it there still not works :( thanks for the help mate.

valve please fix fbx! xD

Don't mind the model, only similar item I could test fast with. no issues with smd. I imported the lc rig, lined up my item, reset the xform, then skinned to weapon0 bone, exported as reference smd.

LCTest.jpg
  • Uliss
    MdK wrote: »

Solution from Wunderboy is working, as far as I know
    http://www.wunderboy.org/3dapps.php#max_smd

Check out our new item for Ember. By Hinata and Crowntail.
    fA4Wfbo.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Got my first Dota submission in. Happy Day!

Staff of the Rising Sun
    268x268.resizedimage

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=216570207
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    foxclover: I agree with Plant and the other workshop comments. The texture needs some more love to really make it pop! I would increase the contract so some of the fur details pop more. The horn also lacks definition, right now it looks rather blobby though that might be a problem with the sculpt. Its such an awesome concept that I really want to see it achieve its full potential as I'm sure you do too :D
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Wow some amazing work being posted lately!

I really need to step up my game, if I want to get anything ingame anymore..
    Thanks for the idea of the .smd files working in the importer. works fine here :)

Started working on a crystal maiden staff, it's till wip but I was curious what u guys thought!

Ge63FJX.jpg
  • foxclover
    @ Time to go re-wrestle with it. As far as matching the concept... well, for a first item we actually finished, I'm pretty happy with it anyway. Thanks again, Plant+sukotto :>
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Workshop is definitely going in bad direction. People offering 1000 guaranteed votes in exchange of % share. Valve should definitely change the voting mechanics... Or soon there will not be much more % left for artists itself...
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    they can offer guaranteed votes all they want. nobody should be silly enough to make that trade...i don't think votes are all that important in the process of getting accepted. it just measure's community interest (albeit poorly)
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    reverendK wrote: »
    i don't think votes are all that important in the process of getting accepted. it just measure's community interest (albeit poorly)
    But they are.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    Wow some amazing work being posted lately!

I really need to step up my game, if I want to get anything ingame anymore..
    Thanks for the idea of the .smd files working in the importer. works fine here :)

Started working on a crystal maiden staff, it's till wip but I was curious what u guys thought!

Ge63FJX.jpg

I think it looks pretty good, though I don't like the gold 'hook' sticking off the handle, just doesn't seem to fit.
  • Dvonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    Don't mind the model, only similar item I could test fast with. no issues with smd. I imported the lc rig, lined up my item, reset the xform, then skinned to weapon0 bone, exported as reference smd.

LCTest.jpg

Im importing the lc rig from the smd files too, placing my item, reseting xform, then skin to weapon0 bone as you do, export as smd and now I only get crashes trying to import that smd, what program are you using? im on max xD

getting this all the time t_T:
    4f48e206d6.png

Thanks for the help a lot man
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Konras wrote: »
    Workshop is definitely going in bad direction. People offering 1000 guaranteed votes in exchange of % share. Valve should definitely change the voting mechanics... Or soon there will not be much more % left for artists itself...

I don't get it, how could someone guarantee 1000 votes? And how would you hold them to it?

This does make me wonder though, there seems to be some items that shoot right to the top with like 1300 votes in like one night. I mean they may be good...but i dunno. oh well
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    getting this all the time t_T:
    4f48e206d6.png

Thanks for the help a lot man

This error seems to indicate that either the rig is broken, or a parent bone was not exported. Check to make sure your rig hierarchy is ok:

BoneLink.jpg
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    I like how you name the file as "shit".
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    @TrevorJ
    Workshop have a bit unfair mechanics:
    - top 3 items are showed in library while dota is selected
    - most people just check first page
    - younger items are climbing up in rating very fast if they are upvoted
    - older items are pushed down in rating automatically

If your item will be upvoted heavily at the beginning it will get to top 3, and than it will stay there probably for longer. What those people do, they have probably some communities, even not that big communities after them that upvote items at the beginning. Simple as that. Never used it and never will. Giving someone % for basically doing nothing is sick. I am able to understand dota cinema with their items, because they have put allot of work into process, but some people are just pathetic.

Plus yeah, votes don't mean a thing so good luck to those making those goofy agreements ;) You will give them hand, next they will take your arm.
  • Oroboros

Could you say who these individuals or organizations are? They deserve some public shaming.
  • bounchfx
    @TrevorJ
    Workshop have a bit unfair mechanics:
    - top 3 items are showed in library while dota is selected
    - most people just check first page
    - younger items are climbing up in rating very fast if they are upvoted
    - older items are pushed down in rating automatically

If your item will be upvoted heavily at the beginning it will get to top 3, and than it will stay there probably for longer. What those people do, they have probably some communities, even not that big communities after them that upvote items at the beginning. Simple as that. Never used it and never will. Giving someone % for basically doing nothing is sick. I am able to understand dota cinema with their items, because they have put allot of work into process, but some people are just pathetic.

Plus yeah, votes don't mean a thing so good luck to those making those goofy agreements ;)You will give them hand, next they will take your arm.

It's rough. One could argue that they deserve the votes since they built up a following, and to be fair they might.. except it should still be on a per-item basis and not 'omg x-ballz made this! auto-upvote!'. Then there's an assumption that the item is 'better' than another item that might be far better designed and executed on, simply because it has 10x the votes.

Visibility is absolutely a factor that can be easily manipulated, as you're saying - get a small burst of votes at the beginning and if you manage to take top spot it's just exponential. I think some of the suggestions that were shared in the future of dota workshop thread (seen here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128126) were solid.

Right now it just feels kinda broken up since valve looks at the community very heavily for what they put in, but that seems to be skewed quite easily. I don't want to say anything about mediocre items getting thousands of votes, but there's definitely some gems in the workshop that get overlooked and it's really unfortunate.

edit: bolded your last line because it's something I'm a little worried about myself. Marketing has value but, I don't know. Some of this stuff feels dirty, heh.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    THE IMPORTER IS FIXED.
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    @Oroboros
    I prefer not to. Saw that some people form here worked with him. I don't know if they had the same agreement. I know that those polycounters would on the spot be put into bad light. Thats not the thing I would want. All I wanted was put a notice here, both to warn others, and maybe get to know your opinions.
  • Dvonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    This error seems to indicate that either the rig is broken, or a parent bone was not exported. Check to make sure your rig hierarchy is ok:

BoneLink.jpg

I checked and it was fine, maybe it was the smd exporter that was broken or something.

But they fixed the importer so I can import as fbx now! thanks a lot for your time tho, you are the best.
  • Oroboros
    @Oroboros
    I prefer not to. Saw that some people form here worked with him. I don't know if they had the same agreement. I know that those polycounters would on the spot be put into bad light. Thats not the thing I would want. All I wanted was put a notice here, both to warn others, and maybe get to know your opinions.

That's manipulating the workshop system through deceptive means. Getting fake votes is one of the same practices that eventually screwed up Steam Greenlight- Honestly it's a completely unethical practice that doesn't belong in the workshop.

These individuals deserve to be blacklisted from participating in my opinion. If we don't speak up about people propagating these shady practices, who will?
  • bounchfx
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    THE IMPORTER IS FIXED.

Just tried main client... textures come in correct, but now my model is coming in sideways. :|

ok nevermind.. apparently something broke in the scene. Gotta start fresh and re-rig. YAY.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a dog eat dog workshop for sure. That goes for Tf2 as well.

As far as I see it Valve likes that and it's not bound to change.

I don't see how someone can really guarantee 1000 votes though. A script that opens 1000 accounts, then opens them and votes? What kind of percentage?
    Sure a really good popular item can make a lot of money but if you have to do it manually that's a ton of work/time. And it doesn't guarantee the item will get in anyway.
    Crowd source? Hard enough to get friends to give me a few votes sometimes (and I just ask they vote how they feel/up or down), much less random people.

If it's a script and Valve decided to look into I can see them doing something. But if it's just crowdsourcing I imagine they don't care. But how do you do that? Post on Volvo?
  • Vextrakt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, we released our Storm Spirit set for the event. Just glad its on time :>

Blessings of Yinglong by Vextrakt & SLIMEface

7DB24929A0421F9ABAC6F49B1F60B28B6FDFE92E
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    That guy must be in the WWF to have a trophy belt like that :)
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Preview of the custom particles for our gyro set.

gworks_gif_autoattack.gif
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    @zip marry me! i want some awesome particle-babys for my next projects -.-
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    word is that there is a update that fixes the importer try it out guys and let valve know if it works \.

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=121544&page=3
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    @Zipfinator woah that looks cooool! would love to see a breakdown on how u guys managed to do that!!
  • Kraken
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraken interpolator
    Exporter works!!!

Here is my new Spring2014 set for Phantom Lancer:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=216638091
    BD831F23CCC337ABD675D89CB077F6D8AF5762D6
    E34660B3BAB9F5AB1AFBF79BBB5D40927EE33D59
    8D83795B3185C851F2D7BA5C6DC6F21490EB4DC9