Home Dota 2

ike's doter shenanigans

Replies

• darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    No offense but it looks like a joke item :( It's a good looking joke item though :)

I completely disagree! I think it's a really cool item and decently fitting for Slark. The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't have that super deadly ripping feel like other Slark weaps. It looks more like a bludgeoning weapon. Besides that though I quite like it!
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    darkkyo wrote: »
    I completely disagree! I think it's a really cool item and decently fitting for Slark. The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't have that super deadly ripping feel like other Slark weaps. It looks more like a bludgeoning weapon. Besides that though I quite like it!

Yup, I agree! Don't really see any reason for it to be a 'joke item'. The materials look really nice, but I agree with darkkyo that it looks more as a bludgeoning weapon. Still, I think it's a original weapon for Slark, very different from every other knife made for him.
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Well it was only my opinion. This was basically why I said it was more of a joke item because many people would think this right when they see it, also tf2 and dota 2 keys. It just looks a little weird to me seeing it on slark as a weapon.
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    Well it was only my opinion. This was basically why I said it was more of a joke item because many people would think this right when they see it, also tf2 and dota 2 keys. It just looks a little weird to me seeing it on slark as a weapon.

If anything maybe it just pays homage to the keyblade :P I think it would sell quite well for that same exact reason...
    belkun wrote: »
    Yup, I agree! Don't really see any reason for it to be a 'joke item'. The materials look really nice, but I agree with darkkyo that it looks more as a bludgeoning weapon. Still, I think it's a original weapon for Slark, very different from every other knife made for him.

That's true, it's one of the more unique Slark blades I've seen and that's a good thing.
  • agito666
    inb4 actually meepo's weapon actually got 1 is keyblade....

Cosmetic_icon_Key_to_the_Bone_Ruins.png?version=bd4b354efae276278fdd9d23c8f02073
  • SLIMEface
    Offline / Send Message
    SLIMEface polycounter lvl 7
    No offense Ike but you a joke :( You good looking joke though:)
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    SLIMEface wrote: »
    No offense Ike but you a joke :( You good looking joke though:)

Such a handsome boy. Neat key thing.
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Its a key to a heart of dota 2 community... or a nice girl... you will never know if you will not use it :)
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Key to Icefrogs door! :D
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    WHY ARE YOU GUYS HARASSING MY WIFE.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    WHY ARE YOU GUYS HARASSING MY WIFE.

I THOUGHT HE WAS YOU EX WIFE

glad that you both are a happy family again
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    >Don't give up!
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    The joke is the key!
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    >Relax, you're doing fine
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    You're the best around, nobody's ever gonna keep you down
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    aafbdc8eb5.jpg

hot singles in your area
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    That rubick mask! I love it! Someone make it!
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    That rubick mask looks great, I won't be surprised if you took inspiration from Alpha Bane.
  • cottonwings
    Caww Caww Motherfucker :D
  • Bernoully
    Offline / Send Message
    Bernoully polycounter lvl 4
    Interesting Rubick head, some overlap with Jugg masks I feel
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah it is very juggy with that facepaint. probably a bit flat lookin as well, should probably be engraved detail.

ca5b92b844.jpg

some more hot singles.

also made a nice puck hat

dg4Fz2h.gif

268x268.resizedimage

bought me a fancy new intuos and it's actually slowin my workflow more than anything. woops
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    db37d4dc6a.jpg

some texturino. mega classy sculpt and model by timu
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    It looks real nice but the shadow on the mask (bottom shadow) contradicts with the shadow on the cape (top shadow).
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    made a meepo set for farming extraordinaire Xcalibur!
    6R8WvfD.jpg

268x268.resizedimage

JointZealousEmperorpenguin.gif

has custom icons and all sorts of other fun things

some other wippy bits below
    dc59c14d0d.jpg138c99a514.jpg

got a few other neat things which may or may not be done in the near future, but in the meantime here is a tony

BwRHL2gCMAALxB6.png:large

It looks real nice but the shadow on the mask (bottom shadow) contradicts with the shadow on the cape (top shadow).

the top of rubick's cape is in shadow. dem bakes don't lie
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    I really like that Tiny! Nice job.
  • pear
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    that tiny set is fucking awesome!
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    another pro set. actually started this one a while before the meepo, but i stalled for ages.

pretty happy with how it turned out though.

this one is for Arrow Gaming's ddz, whose invoker obliterated pretty much everything in the leadup to TI4 and got a buttload of fantasy points.

i did the concept, promo art, sculpt and textures, poor zip got to do all the fun stuff like skinning and retopo. working on doto hats has actually made me fail uni so that's a bit awkward but totally worth

7D0729D6C0EA8547E5CED38C6FE99415A164AF3C
  • Nikey
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Drug! It looks pretty cool! I love it! Looks different from other sets!
    Otlichno! Keep it up :)
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice work Ike! (You still an ass though!)

And, personal advise: give attention to college stuff.

Good luck man.
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    I'm with you Ike, I failed everything last semester. Good luck mate. I'm also struggling to balance.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Lots of awesome stuff. Hows that Shaman set coming? Anyone working on it, would love to do it.
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Lots of awesome stuff. Hows that Shaman set coming? Anyone working on it, would love to do it.

that actually ended up turning into the eki bukaw set , valve had us redo the mask so it's not quite the same as the concept anymore

some hat concepts
    ee188c8c48.jpg
    67a2a5e36d.jpg

also started fiddling with that dishonored/jack the ripper-ish pudge from a while back, dunno if i'll work on that or project sheepgoat2015 for now

4313824828.jpg
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Awesome Ogre Magi chinese dude Ike!
  • agito666
    the ogre magi does looks more like a japanese monk for me...

well it still can be chinese... i blame Street Fighter's Akuma/ Gouki
  • teabiscuit
    Offline / Send Message
    teabiscuit polycounter lvl 3
    Agreed with agito. Here's a link to an image gallery of different buddhist outfits. (and ignore the korean/japanese monk outfits)

From part four:
    When Buddhism got to China, the bare-shoulder style of the original monks' robes became a problem. In Chinese culture it was improper not to keep the arms and shoulders covered in public. So, Chinese Buddhist monks began to wear sleeved robes similar to a Taoist scholar's robe of the early 1st millennium CE.

Anecdotally, I saw predominantly this outfit in my 4 years in Taiwan.

Valve's strict rules on accuracy this year is going to be very tough to follow. x.x Especially since google brings up pictures of Japanese/korean/sri lankan 'things' when you search for "Chinese 'things'"
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    woo haven't updated in 50 billion years

upcoming tony set with ultra high res 256* textures

jc0lQHU.jpg

AM set with nikey for polycount chest
    637x358.resizedimage
    ogre boys with nikey
    637x358.resizedimage
    updated gyro loadscreen from 2014 new bloom
    637x358.resizedimage
    tb with nikey
    637x358.resizedimage
    mank titan with bronton
    637x358.resizedimage

aboot ogre magi, i don't think ogre's the kind of guy who cares about culture. i have minor issues about external lore supplanting muh internal lore
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    BZNmWYa.png

tony complete! trawling through my WIP folder for a few quick notes

0XiDHiK.jpg

this was the first thing i showed LaNm. just a bunch of heads, exploring weird shapes. i actually only had the spot colors to differentiate them more at this point, i was planning on just goin back to green. woops!

anyway he went for 2 and 5 i think? liked the transformers vibe he got from that.

nnIyqPO.jpg

smooshed out a full body shot of the level 1 tiny from that head. just extrapolated some of the shape language from the tiny bit of shoulder i had in the bust to the rest of it. spent a while on the arm, i was planning on reusing a lot of elements from the base all the way to level 4. also i'd already decided to spend the most time on levels 1 and 4; you spend probably the most time in level 4 and the loadout only displays level 1. and level 1 is adorable with the tree

sg9pZEl.jpg

level 4 is basically just bulked out, and this is as far as i went with 2d concepts. levels 2 and 3 are basically just interpolating between 1 and 4

he wanted more purple at this point. cue tron lines

wv7LgA6.jpg

some donky early modeling. basically tracing over the concept at this point, not even trying to fit it to the base mesh. actually came back to bite me in the butt later, because the concept is a lot less hunched than tiny is

msWaKHX.jpg

level 1 tony boy base mesh. a few super quick transformations on this basically sufficed for 2,3 and 4. the head wasn't really fully modeled, i took the earlier base into zbrush and retopoed it. biggest pain was aligning everything with the default
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shl2lQe.jpg

tree concept. originally it was going to be some neat amethyst bonsai thing i had in my room, but it didn't look super great. the tree's in vertical and horizontal positions so i had to rethink the leaf placement a few times. ended up doing clusters of ~5 planes that i duped and moved around. this also comes back to bite me in the ass cause i reused the UV for them so they had the same value all round, which uhh ... basically everyone noticed. woops!

gotta patch that up later

next is a very long image with some general notes on how i tried to make stuff evolve.

AghgcPd.jpg

the progression i had in mind was basically cute nearly carved baby tony, adolescent tony, hulked out on roids tony and wise patriarch tony. the first pass i did on the babby with minimal wear and cracks looked like playdoh ingame so i ended up bashing that up a lot more.

cause of the reused base meshes it wasn't too hard making the features progress when he aged up; the obvious ones would be eye size shrinking and the head crest enlarging; i also went a bit overboard on level 3 for everything and dialed it back for level 4.

i decided to not mirror anything which may or may not be a terrible decision; sure there's unique detail but you can probably count the pixels in some places. but overall i prefer unique dings and scratches; ingame you can't really differentiate between anything but i probably spent too much time zoomed in. something to note in future anyway.

because i'm easily amused and i wanted to make mechs, on each tony's right shoulder there's a number of scratches equalling their current level. also left one more silly easter egg in there which ended up being non viewable ingame. woops!

i will probably ramble a bit about the texturing later on if i remember to come back to this
  • quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9