Home Technical Talk

Shader development question

Musetatron
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Musetatron polycounter lvl 8
core_shadows.jpg

I want the shader to behave like in the diagram above.

Is it possible to make shader that bias core shadows towards the shadow side of forms? I don't know anything about how to write a shader nor what program to use though. I just wanna know if someone has done something like this in UE4 or other engine. As I think if I can manipulate how the core shadow will behave, it would really make great toon shader.

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is pretty easy to do if you're on about simple diffuse shading (i.e. moving the light terminator further back). It's a bit trickier if you mean the actual shadow itself.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, its just a modified lambertian term.
    Standard lambertian is L dot N which goes to 0 at 90 degrees from the light, to get a single core shadow with a hard edge like that the lighting term goes something like
    Saturate(dot(l,n)+c) where c is some number between 0 and 1 that controls how far back the shadow goes.

Really good toon shading however can get far more technical, but something like this would be an ok start.
  • Musetatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Musetatron polycounter lvl 8
    core_shadows2.jpg

Thanks for the answers.

Another question...Can I manipulate the shader to do per-face or per UV maps basis light terminator adjustment like in the picture? by some means of maps or something?

If I want to do a toon shader of human head , I want the ability to manipulate with part of face can have more or less core shadows e.g. nose would produce less core shadows, eye sockets would produce more core shadows,ETC.