Home Unreal Engine

Foliage shading/lighting issues

devonmousseau
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
devonmousseau polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys, I've been struggling with this for about 2 days now. Tried to watch the unreal material series at their website but it didn't really delve into foliage.

So, I've made this grass, and I'm happy with how it turned out. However, I don't like the way it receives light from the side the light is not hitting directly.

Light directly contacting:
lAJkbEA.jpg

Back side:
v9zuYeq.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Are you using the 2 sided foliage shader? Can you post the material?
  • devonmousseau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    Are you using the 2 sided foliage shader? Can you post the material?

I am not using the two sided foliage shader as this is the result i get

UyqzBVz.jpg

And here's the material

4N6meYu.png
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You need to have the textures not selected so I can see the material details on the left, can I see what the material looks like in the material editor with the 2 sided foliage material?
  • devonmousseau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to have the textures not selected so I can see the material details on the left, can I see what the material looks like in the material editor with the 2 sided foliage material?

Sure thing!

SrEawC1.png
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    With 2 sided, plug the base color texture into the subsurface scatter color as well as the base color. Also try using roughness instead of specular, but invert your specular texture before plugging it in there. Also try looking at the material in the scene with AO and no AO, your AO texture might be a bit strong, but it might look good in certain situations.
  • devonmousseau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With 2 sided, plug the base color texture into the subsurface scatter color as well as the base color. Also try using roughness instead of specular, but invert your specular texture before plugging it in there. Also try looking at the material in the scene with AO and no AO, your AO texture might be a bit strong, but it might look good in certain situations.

Success! Thanks a tonne!