Home Dota 2

Dota 2 Monthly Community Competition #12 - February

Replies

• Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Personally I'd prefer the themes here to be different than just new heroes. It would lead to less directly competing for spots in the game and more competing on matching the criteria and making something cool. It'll keep it different and not flood the workshop with tons of the same stuff on the same heroes. As Bronto said, peeps will be making stuff for the new guys regardless.

Coming soon to a workshop near you:
    (This hat style has been done a couple times for Gyro but I thought I could bring something new to it and it's a fun thing to make)
    OUOYyw4.jpg
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    bounchfx wrote: »
    I personally think embracing the new heroes will give them a nice infusion of submissions as well as most likely lead to more participation here. Obviously we want peoples input to make sure this is something they're interested in.

I think one point to consider is to chose a competition style which the sumbissions for it will have a higher chance of getting in game.
    I mean these new heroes will have a very high competition in next 1-2 months in workshop and if we make a competition over something that is already competitive it's gonna be a "competiception" and the chance of the submissions getting in game will be much less.
    tl;dr:
    it19EWM.jpg

That aside, let's be more creative!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    belkun wrote: »
    I agree. I think that going for a similar style, using the most recent heroes released on the workshop, like Vengeful Spirit, Lifestealer, Elder Titan and Puck would be a pretty great idea.

ops, i forget to mention puck on the last message
    Shock wrote: »
    before we talk about the february challenge, was the december challenge again lost :) ?

since noone answered me on the december thread we could make a vote to decide, or do you have a better idea?
    Reza wrote: »
    I think one point to consider is to chose a competition style which the sumbissions for it will have a higher chance of getting in game.
    I mean these new heroes will have a very high competition in next 1-2 months in workshop and if we make a competition over something that is already competitive it's gonna be a "competiception" and the chance of the submissions getting in game will be much less.
    tl;dr:

That aside, let's be more creative!

i disagree with that, everytime a hero is added we have some items being accepted on the following months, but the other heroes there is no way to predict. its easy to say that we are getting some puck items in game on the next but its not the same case for any other hero like omniknight or tidehunter.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    @vidotto: whatever u think iss fair :) its ur choice. i only wana finish things.

@reza: i also have to add that if a hero is new, EVERYONE does items for him - and only 1-2 single items and maybe a set are added. so after all.. if u join the mainstream, ur chances to be added are even smaller - since there are ALOT artists out there who are doing a perfect job with their items ;)
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    If we do new heros we should spice it up and apply a modifier like a theme or something fun to next month
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    since there are ALOT artists out there who are doing a perfect job with their items ;)

if you are trying to get items in game you should not think like that. there will always be competition and artists better then you. Its not by avoiding them that you are going to get better...
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    @vidotto u can say this very easy from ur position :/ and after all its not a wrong move. it is fact that there are soo many excellent artists out there and u cant simply knock them all away and rise into the sky. this is just focusing on a marketing strat... people wana eat icecream and pizza. u sell pizza - i sell icecream. i am not avoiding anything, its just using the own powers and skill not like a fool. and ofc there will be allways competition, but same as in real life buisness does a smaller amount of other pizza sellers let u sell more pizzas.

to talk more direct: if u let 100 artists work on a head item for 1 hero, there will be some nice items ofc - but how many will have a serious chance to be added? even if 40 head items are genius they wont be added. the number is just too high.

but if u let 100 artists work on different heroes and different item slots - alot more have a chance to get in. u simply can not denie that.

so after all, i am doing my best and i work hard at every single item i produce - if u have any tipps on how i can improve my workflow or technics, u are allways welcome. but plz dont tell me what i should think.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but if u let 100 artists work on different heroes and different item slots - alot more have a chance to get in. u simply can not denie that.

this sentence could justify this contest to be an worthless effort

why we are doing this since we dont need any contest and we can submit whatever we want?
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
    ^ I like the format. I agree that the focus can't be on making it into the game. The focus should always be on learning something new and making the best item you can.

I was sure I would never use HandPlane - but the opposite is true. I find it indispensable now and I have this contest to thank!

I'm sure that it is a lot of work to organize every month and I send my thanks to Tvidotto for taking his time and energy - let's not make his job more painful than necessary :)

conceptD.jpg
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    why we are doing this since we dont need any contest and we can submit whatever we want?

Although I haven't participated in any of the monthlys yet, this is exactly how I feel about all of this.

At the end of the day Tvidotto/bounch/whatever other admin is going to make the rules, and if you don't like them, you don't have to compete. Plain and simple. I think its really gracious and humble that it is such a community effort (coming up with topics, the discussion, the while planning I mean), but at the end of the day if you don't like what is happening, don't do it?

When you step into the realm of competition, you have to play by the rules, and if the rules are that there are tons of great artists all doing something for a similar theme, just rise to the challenge.

Edit: on a constructive note, everyones entries have been really awesome so far! Really inspiring work keep fighting the good fight :D
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    well vidotto :) its a matter of the topic of this contest. some months ago for example we had such awesome topics like "least items on that slot (no weapons..)" and it gave rly good submissions on a nice quality lvl for different heroes and slots.

and for example if the next months topic would be picked like (just as example)

*heroes with the least items ingame*
    there would be automaticly in the new heroes for the mainstream guys and also some unloved sideheroes like maybe meepo (dno if i can say that like this^^ poor meepo!).
    it would alow free space for creativity, competition and ALSO chances for every good submission to get into game.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Worked on a custom loadout animation for our LC axe. Any comments?

XdhxifH.gif
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Just looks too stiff a stance. She's holding a ton of weight to one side, but her body reads just standing there. Hunker her down a bit. Lean her away from the axe head some.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Just looks too stiff a stance. She's holding a ton of weight to one side, but her body reads just standing there. Hunker her down a bit. Lean her away from the axe head some.

:thumbup: Agree with these points. It makes this weapon feel too light, and is not really adding anything special over the stock animation.
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys , just finished my king blade :)
    Wraith Infested King Sword by mihalceanu

200x200.resizedimage
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin wrote: »
    ^ I like the format. I agree that the focus can't be on making it into the game. The focus should always be on learning something new and making the best item you can.

I was sure I would never use HandPlane - but the opposite is true. I find it indispensable now and I have this contest to thank!

I'm sure that it is a lot of work to organize every month and I send my thanks to Tvidotto for taking his time and energy - let's not make his job more painful than necessary :)

heboltz3 wrote: »
    Although I haven't participated in any of the monthlys yet, this is exactly how I feel about all of this.

At the end of the day Tvidotto/bounch/whatever other admin is going to make the rules, and if you don't like them, you don't have to compete. Plain and simple. I think its really gracious and humble that it is such a community effort (coming up with topics, the discussion, the while planning I mean), but at the end of the day if you don't like what is happening, don't do it?

When you step into the realm of competition, you have to play by the rules, and if the rules are that there are tons of great artists all doing something for a similar theme, just rise to the challenge.

Edit: on a constructive note, everyones entries have been really awesome so far! Really inspiring work keep fighting the good fight :D

huge thanks guys =]

happened almost the same with me regarding handplane, now i cannot work without it
    well vidotto :) its a matter of the topic of this contest. some months ago for example we had such awesome topics like "least items on that slot (no weapons..)" and it gave rly good submissions on a nice quality lvl for different heroes and slots.

and for example if the next months topic would be picked like (just as example)

*heroes with the least items ingame*
    there would be automaticly in the new heroes for the mainstream guys and also some unloved sideheroes like maybe meepo (dno if i can say that like this^^ poor meepo!).
    it would alow free space for creativity, competition and ALSO chances for every good submission to get into game.

i do agree with you, it was one of the suggestion we got from Valve about some good themes for the contest, i think we can vary that and get again to least worked heroes on a following month and dont lose the opportunity of this. a lot of people really wants to make items for those new heroes and would be nice if we use that in our advantage.

We will produce a lot of good items as we usually do =], we will push ourselves even more and people on the dota community will probably get more contact with the polycount.

if we go on this month for other heroes we will probably lose a lot of guys and the result in the end of the month will not be as epic as it could (at least is what i think)
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    Worked on a custom loadout animation for our LC axe. Any comments?

XdhxifH.gif

Badcog and kite made a nice feedback, it looks a little stiff. some good rules to follow

-avoid straight lines, your arms will look better with some bend on it
    -avoid vertical and horizontal lines - your arms, legs and the weapon would work better on aonther pose
    -sift the weight of the body, that will make it more dinamic
    - look for some poses that you like and try to find what makes it good, some drawing book would help, Andrew loomis is a nice guy to start. check also for a book called Force, its about dinamic poses on bodies

i hope that helps
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So, a friend of mine helped me out and we took some elements from the different thumbnails and mixed them up a bit. Wings will be on both sides even though I only drew them on one. Just trying to nail out the color for that top part.

Legionnaire_Concepts_002.jpg
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Middle for me, but I would try and match red to the red on her armour.
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice designs praetus.

The texture size is only 256x256 so I lost some detail on the girl. Ah well...

ingame4x.jpg
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish polycounter lvl 8
    Hey, done painting and sculpting, unfortunately these bakes are getting a couple annoying artifacts so I'll have to rub this proverbial cheese grater against my forehead.

12782367393_161d5a3d04_b.jpg
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
    Cross spamming from my workshop thread and other places. I've made three shiny new Legion Commander blades for anyone that wants/has time to churn out another item before the month's up :)

*edit*

Figured it might be good to number them for clarity's sake.

moncomp_%2312.png
  • two_larsens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    two_larsens polycounter lvl 6
    I think this competition is about the competition first and foremost, and the Workshop secondly. Of course it goes hand in hand, but since there will have to be a theme somehow to better judge the items, then flooding is just about what will happen.
  • Ben.HCT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm almost ready to get this thing submitted.

7a9ge_zps9d7d0f81.jpg

Since my last update I shrunk down and lengthened the mace head a little bit, and increased the pole width as well to make it appear sturdier. I also worked on the masks and managed to get it imported (above).

I've also been working on the thumbnail image for when I publish it:

preview_zps0838c184.jpg
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerialist Wings by Tamarin

200.jpg
  • QuadWrangler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warhog_promo1.jpg

warhog_turntable.gif

*Workshop is giving me this error right now - "Sorry!
    An error was encountered while processing your request:

That item does not exist. It may have been removed by the author."

Will update with workshop link when/if things start working*
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    Haha, nice flying pigbomb.

Got the high res for the shark propeller done. I'll be working on the game textures tonight.
    gyrocopter_sharkhead_zrenders_900.jpg
    I did try pushing the shark head back over the chassis but that was causing some other issues like clipping into the hands so I would have had to change the shape quite a bit. The angle from the propeller joint to the edge of the chassis is also quite steep. I think it works ok as a truncated shape.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warhog_promo1.jpg

warhog_turntable.gif

Looking sweet, but the in game model needs some color around the nostrils, it's just a yellow blob atm. The other one has great color around there.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin wrote: »
    Aerialist Wings by Tamarin

could you update with the 200px thumbnail? so i can use on the finished entries as soon as the month ends?
    warhog_promo1.jpg

warhog_turntable.gif

had this problem too, it seems to appear from time to time, just try it later
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, guess it's time to start wrapping this up so I re-read the rules and got my submission in order...
    So this is it, final Submission. Remember everyone to post the finals correctly!

Wraith's Spine Hacker by Voodoo (aka Baddcog)

200x200.resizedimage
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=231921520

Constant battle is Hell on weapons. Wraith King dug deep into his stash and pulled out this old favorite, his Spine Hacker. Realizing that bones are only temporary he has accepted the fact that this blade itself will perish, and where better than on the battlefield.

637x358.resizedimage
  • QuadWrangler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    had this problem too, it seems to appear from time to time, just try it later

waited more than 2 hours, and still getting that error - going to have to call it a night, and hope that things are working by tomorrow evening...!
  • pixelherder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelherder polycounter lvl 18
    Still unable to submit - so had to revert back to old account, which submits fine*

Warhog by Pixelherder

200x200.resizedimage

*switching back and forth between accounts, the new one always fails, the old one submits every time...so no idea what sort of bug that is, but its eaten up more than a few hours trying to work around it.
  • Pierate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    Finished and submitted.

Crown of Agony by Pierate

AgonyPreview200.jpg
  • Ben.HCT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, going to call that it on this one (<3).

Prosperous Morning Star by Ben.HCT (aka Volken)

preview2_zps20428a2a.jpg

Here's to the ongoing quest for knowledge.
  • reallymadmaveric
    Flying Bombardier Trophy Hat by reallymadmaveric

KzwkEI6.jpg

A bit of fun that could go with any set
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

*switching back and forth between accounts, the new one always fails, the old one submits every time...so no idea what sort of bug that is, but its eaten up more than a few hours trying to work around it.

That's weird but if one is working and has your submissions I'd always use it.

If you get two accounts with items accepted it could complicate the tax process. Not sure really.
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish polycounter lvl 8
    Tyrfing by Rowinish

268x268.resizedimage

Super pleased with how it turned out in-game, enjoy!
  • polarbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The King's Voracity by polarbear

VzKKIpF.jpg

Done! =)

• Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Alrighty! Been a strange ride working on this item. Not only was it daring in terms of sillhoutte, but we added a floaty gem in the middle of it, the watcher's eye. Added a custom load out animation. Nothing too fancy but we believe it is better than the default one. Tweaked some of the animations that were clipping the weapon or had the weapon clipping the floor a bit. Finally, attempted to add a particle effect but found out that it requires a bit too much effort since LC doesn't have particles enabled by default as her default weapon doesn't even have it. So decided to show how it will look with a simple particle and if people like it, hopefully Valve can easily add it.

Without further adieu...

The Watcher by Vayne and Stefco

200x200.resizedimage

(Link on Thumb Image)

bCsK76W.jpg
    ZIfWblB.jpg
    rST4Zev.gif
  • tso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tso
    Man I forgot all about this competition, but I learned zbrush well enough, so I'm pretty pleased with myself.

..and that boar. I think everyone likes the boar. That's just silly fun.
  • PatoRadioativo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatoRadioativo polycounter lvl 6
    hey guys we made that.
    collab with LuckCosta and Chiniara
    ty for feedback.

KE56Me7.jpg
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Trying to work out some of the lumps before I start painting

Legionnaire_Concepts_003.jpg
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • MagnoHusein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished entry by Mango(me >.>) and vikk0!

Maw of the Eternal Hunger

UyVAC3k.png

yay

Edit: updated thumbnail 200px.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Rocketeer's Cap by Frump

200x200.resizedimage
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we have a lot of finished entries already, congrats for everyone.

Just as a reminder, if someone is trying to finish an item (like me) today is the last day!
  • Joker_47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joker_47 polycounter lvl 6
    So many great items, i hope next month won't be less productive :)
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    Rocketeer's Cap by Frump

200x200.resizedimage

This reminds me so much of Lemmy from MotorHead. Good job.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Hi everyone,
    Because of support from workshop artists we are able to make handplane a freeware tool. The downside of this is that we no longer have commercial licenses we can offer into the monthly competitions. Anyone who wants a commercial license can grab one off of the handplane site. Everyone is a winner! :) I am going to talk with Thiago and I will try and come up with something else handplane can offer to incentivise and reward participation.

We also have a new build coming with improvements for workshop artists. I am hoping that is only 2-3 weeks away.
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Because of support from workshop artists we are able to make handplane a freeware tool. The downside of this is that we no longer have commercial licenses we can offer into the monthly competitions. Anyone who wants a commercial license can grab one off of the handplane site. Everyone is a winner! :) I am going to talk with Thiago and I will try and come up with something else handplane can offer to incentivise and reward participation.

We also have a new build coming with improvements for workshop artists. I am hoping that is only 2-3 weeks away.

Awesome news!

This has really become an essential part of every workflow. I don't see any downside to this news :)
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Great news! Thanks Alec can't wait for the new build :)