Home General Discussion

Developer Xbox and Beta Halo 1

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
I have an original developer Xbox with a version of Halo one that features alternate textures on some objects, most notably Captain Keyes.

I was wondering if anyone would think it would be worth selling or worth nothing at all.

I am not trying to sell it on here, just curious if anyone would think it would be worth anything at all.

Replies

• TJ062
    I think there would be some people willing to buy it, like collectioners.
    Me my self i think it would be fun to dig around the gamefiles see if i find something secret or completly scratches and maybe figure out for what reason.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    TJ062 wrote: »
    I think there would be some people willing to buy it, like collectioners.
    Me my self i think it would be fun to dig around the gamefiles see if i find something secret or completly scratches and maybe figure out for what reason.

Hmmm, I never thought of doing that myself. That does sound like fun though.
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    try assemblergames, someone would be interested for sure

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/forum.php
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 wrote: »
    try assemblergames, someone would be interested for sure

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/forum.php

Thanks man I'm asking them right now:)
  • vargatom
    Also try halo.bungie.org
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Just curious, how did you get that, and do Microsoft mind members of the public having these/ being able to buy them ?
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Xbox dev kits were by contract the property of Microsoft, so no, he shouldn't have one. Whether this would raise an issue at present legally is ambiguous, I'd expect Microsoft quite simply don't give a damn, as it's legacy hardware and of little real worth other than as a collectors item.

The Halo build on the other hand is different. You're effectively selling assets and production code that belong to Microsoft. I would be wary of trying to sell that.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Surely if it's running on the kit, the data is in compiled form ... ? Kinda different to selling source code and art source files.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Just curious, how did you get that, and do Microsoft mind members of the public having these/ being able to buy them ?

It was being thrown out. I am not an employee of Microsoft, I have read about one being sold on ebay, and the forum racer linked a few people had them, so I'm assuming there is nothing wrong with it.

The version of Halo is very close to retail if not nearly exact, the only thing I have noticed (only playing the first two levels) is Captain Keyes is wearing a regular UNSC uniform instead of the one with his name.
  • WarrenM
    Really seems like a bad deal, legally speaking. I wouldn't sell it. In fact, I'd probably work to not have it in my possession. It's not a problem until it is.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Really seems like a bad deal, legally speaking. I wouldn't sell it. In fact, I'd probably work to not have it in my possession. It's not a problem until it is.

Well I don't see why it would be a problem, there are a few on the website that Racer445 listen, I don't see why it would be an issue. Also I never signed anything or have any connection to it, it would be the liability of the people throwing it away correct? Furthermore what I know of Microsoft is they just don't really care about old stuff, trust me. I mean what legal grounds would it be illegal to sell if I have no connection to it.

It was literally being thrown away, as in garbage. Also the game is compiled and on a disc that not even a regular xbox can play, so I don't see how I'd have access to 12 year old source code that no one probably cares about.
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    this happens all the time. don't listen to these fools, they're all scared of ~~~the blacklist~~~

i have older devkits and beta stuff i've bought that have "confidential" stickers on them. it's really not a problem. if they're openly getting rid of it, then it clearly is not an issue for them.
  • WarrenM
    Not really concerned about a blacklist, whatever that might be. I'm more concerned about selling an old build of Halo ... seems sketchy, at best. But hey, it's your problem if it's a problem ... have fun! :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    um, yeah, I'd worry if you were selling a Durango dev-kit. Now it's a collectible

as far as a "blacklist" just don't be an insufferable dickhead - don't trash the office over the weekend or threaten to punch a coworker, stuff like that.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Not really concerned about a blacklist, whatever that might be. I'm more concerned about selling an old build of Halo ... seems sketchy, at best. But hey, it's your problem if it's a problem ... have fun! :)

I would be until I looked at it, it actually must have been used internally because an external copy would say "confidential", this was written in sharpie and I had not used it in 2 years or so and forgot. If only I had the other beta discs I had:( I had a Halo 2 internal one and Mech Assault 2 at one point (lonnng ago.
    The build I have is said to be "Halo CE Debug | Xbox | Builds Unknown / [?] | Images of about 3 different versions exist. | Not publicly available, possibly leaked to a few people"
    sorry for the poor picture. I'll prolly play through it and get some screens.

yWqmZ.jpg
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    I collect retro games and have a few prototypes myself :) So nice to see other members of this community with a similar hobby!
  • biofrost
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah dont worry about getting in trouble, assembler forums is full of people who do the same.

I personally still wouldn't sell it though, but that's only because I would want to collect it myself.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost wrote: »
    Yeah dont worry about getting in trouble, assembler forums is full of people who do the same.

I personally still wouldn't sell it though, but that's only because I would want to collect it myself.

Should I worry if I started selling meth at the same time?

I think I might sell it on ebay as a package since (while I love Halo) it only has a small amount of value to me. So if it can make me money and make someone happy, we all win.

Then I would prolly just release the copy of the disc.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Is this build from before they buffed the Pistol to have an insane amount of power?

Just as a Halo fan, I would love to see this beta version.
    It would be cool if you could record some of the stuff.

I love this kind of archival stuff of old/beta/unreleased games.
    There's a great website just for this kind of thing called unseen64.net, if you're interested.

I second vargatom, you should try posting about this on Halo.Bungie.Org.
    Then I would prolly just release the copy of the disc.

If you post on Modacity.net you could easily find plenty of people that would be interested, willing and able to dig around in the beta and pull out any gems, which would be awesome. I don't recall if there is any leaked Betas for halo.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »
    Is this build from before the buffed the Pistol to have an insane amount of power?

Just as a Halo fan, I would love to see this beta version.
    It would be cool if you could record some of the stuff.

I love this kind of archival stuff of old/beta/unreleased games.
    There's a great website just for this kind of thing called unseen64.net, if you're interested.

I second vargatom, you should try posting about this on Halo.Bungie.Org.

If you post on Modacity.net you could easily find plenty of people that would be interested, willing and able to dig around in the beta and pull out any gems, which would be awesome. I don't recall if there is any leaked Betas for halo.

I am considering selling it, and then releasing it as a download, but there would only be one official copy. I will play through it when I have the time. I defiantly will post on HBO. I also have a script that Jen Taylor used for Halo 4 release party called Experience: Halo.

I am wondering how much do you think that people would be willing to spend on a disc like that... While I love Halo a LOT and always have as a kid, I don't feel it means enough to me to justify keeping when there is someone else who would love to have it and actually care about it a lot.
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I am considering selling it, and then releasing it as a download, but there would only be one official copy. I will play through it when I have the time. I defiantly will post on HBO. I also have a script that Jen Taylor used for Halo 4 release party called Experience: Halo.

I am wondering how much do you think that people would be willing to spend on a disc like that... While I love Halo a LOT and always have as a kid, I don't feel it means enough to me to justify keeping when there is someone else who would love to have it and actually care about it a lot.

I don't know about selling or how much your would get from it. I am curious how you get these things though.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »
    I don't know about selling or how much your would get from it. I am curious how you get these things though.
    Well, I live in Seattle.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sure there are some legal issues afoot here...? Theres a chance you would get a tanned arse for doing that, would you not :S
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    odium wrote: »
    I'm sure there are some legal issues afoot here...? Theres a chance you would get a tanned arse for doing that, would you not :S

No, but it's always good to be on the safe side you know? As far as I can see there are no legal issues. The script has nothing written on it at all in terms of "confidential" or anything of the sort, same with the game disc, the only thing that does is the original Xbox dev kit recovery disc, but I don't think anyone cares about that. It's not like it was stolen or wrongly taken. It's just good to be safe:)