Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Polycount - Generals - Jhotun

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Jhotun polycounter lvl 18
Meeeeeeeee!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRR!!!!!

concept.jpg

Replies

• sinistergfx
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Might need to rethink this, the war is supposed to be set in 3006.
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, in the back he has some wires and buttons ... xD

Nah, is just a first idea done in the lunch time. I´m faster and better on modeling, but since a concept seems to be needed to enter, i need to find something that i like and i can draw :P
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    I need your help guys! I feel totally out of place drawing things that in my head work but in the paper look like total crap. I really need the help of some concept guy here because i´m never happy with the stupid things i draw.

I´d like to fuse the good old warrior style with some gothic futuristic look. I really know how to model and texturize, but damn me, i´m totally crap with a pen.

Help me please!
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a stupid thing i did in Zbrush yesterday in some free hours at the job. This is more or less what i had in mind for the orc. Any ideas?

sapochungo4tw.jpg

EDIT: I forgot to say that the eye is taken from a photo in google images.
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I'll jot out a little sketch for you...
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Ninjas, thanks a lot for your help. It will be a pleasure to kick some cgchatas with your concept!

Thanks!
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    This is still pretty loose, so let me know if you have some ideas of where to take this.
    I gave him a kind of gun hammer thing.

J.jpg

Ahh, I forgot the spikes. I think I could give him a techy looking shoulder pad with spikes or blades for extra coolness.
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoah, you are fast!
    I like a lot his right arm. That blade for sure can look very good on the 3d model (maybe bigger?). I think that a more non-human head would make the futuristic thing more evident. Maybe a frog head with a gas mask and mechanic big eyes would look cool.

The animal fur he has on the shoulders looks cool to me, but i do not know if it puts the character too much far from the futuristic look. Maybe some metallic plates would fit better.

I totally love that hammer. That gun inside is going to hurt some heads out there!

Thanks a lot Ninjas!
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been thinking about the froggy topic and i have done a crappy drawing. What do you think?

19hn.jpg
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good! I think the head is cool and reminds me of Admiral Akbar from Star Wars. I'll have another go at the idea later this evening!
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot ninjas, i´ll wait near the keyboard smile.gif

Later
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    I´m getting tired of moving the pencil like a monkey... i think that i will wait for Ninjas help before the frustration makes me hit myself more than the normal.

Here is another attemp to put in 2d what i have in mind...

23xf.jpg
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe stick with the aquatic theme and give him ridiculously long tentacles for arms, suckers dripping corrosive ichor, the bottom half of him concield in a metallic sphere that rolls around, crushing all beneath him.
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope it was worth the wait. Sectaurs' ideas sound pretty cool. I meant to put the decoration on his blade like in the first version but forgot.

J2.jpg
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    That kicks ass, ninjas!
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    that really does kick some ace of spades, i'm really digging on this alien concept - i really like it's eyes. he'd looks sweet with some bumpy skin and such
  • lorddon
    Offline / Send Message
    lorddon polycounter lvl 18
    Ninjas, why have I never seen your concept work before? You keep blowing me away man.

-LD
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my god! This is totally awesome Ninjas!
    My fingers are dying to start modelling this babe.
    Man, i´ll never know hot to tell you how gratefull i am for helping me.
    I´ll do the best model my brain can do be as near as i can to your concept.

Open max! 3, 2, 1, GOOO!!
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    Here we go.

This is the first wip. Still lots to do.
    I have done a small modification of the chest thing to give it more importance. Probablly the thing is that this guy is using that to breath on the surface ala darth vader. Probably some strange and bubbling liquid could be shown in the wires that connect the head with the chest.

What do you think?

wip11yu.jpg
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa! Awesome. Looking good and really nailing the face. How many tris so far? Glad you are loving the concept. Looks like it is going to be awesome.

LD- I have been around here, but I have been pretty busy. Now I am focusing my modeling stuff, cause that is where I need the most work I think.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    ace! Would I be the only one who thinks he'd look brilliant with a whispy japanese style moustache (you can almost see one in the concept)
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Ninjas smile.gif I´ll try to make honour to your concept.
    Right now i´m working on the high res model. Later i´ll concentrate on the 5000 polys. For me is much more easy that way to get the correct feeling on the concept.

If you need any help with modeling or texturing (do not know if that is allowed), i´ll be pleased to help you as much as i can.

Later
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster: I was thinking the same smile.gif I think that Ninjas intention is to make those holes as the nostrils, but i had in mind to put him some kind of moustache that fits with the fur on his shoulders :P Do not know if that will work, but if not, the delete button does its job :P
    Oh, and still thinking where to put the Green Tooth. Maybe on the stomach? Any ideas?
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Rooster, as soon as you mentioned that I had to scroll up and make sure the concept didn't have one.

For some reason I thought it did.

Without a mustache to twirl around his finger, how will people know he's evil?
  • LoTekK
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Holy shit, that is sick! The concept is seriously badass, and you're doing a great job nailing it. smile.gif
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    ninjas' revised concept is excellent and i'm glad to see that you're following it, i think this will be a really strong entry.
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update. I did not have much time today to work on this babe, but for sure i do not want to let the party apart.

I´d like to move the clothes of this character a bit further to some kind of casaca. I think that this will sharph a bit more the feeling of general. Please, let me know what do you think about that.

wip22gs.jpg

More coming soon! (i hope :P)
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    "casaca"? I'm not sure what that is.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Whoa Ninjas, that's an awesome concept and the model is looking really nice Jhotun. Great transition between the two!

-caseyjones
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    Ops, i though that it was the same in english :P
    16042005426261.jpg
    casaca.jpg
    fig133C.gif

On the wrists, some kind of ornamental things (like in the shoulderpads) could look specially good. I do not want to go very far from the concept, so please, if you feel that i´m getting lost, tell me, because I´m very used to work with references and no concepts and i tend to be a bit wild when modeling.

Thanks for your comments!
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that could be cool, and I think it goes with the basic look of the character. Of course, you should model it how you like, since I'm just trying to help you the best I can.

Originally I was thinking that he had a padded vest that over his shirt, and that is what is sticking out on the bottom. Oh, one other note about the concept. I didn't finish drawing it in but the character's left arm should have a decorative arm guard on it too.

I'm sure you will take it in a very cool direction Jhotun. I can't wait to see what you come up with.
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    Arghh, i really need to find more time to work on this. Nowadays i´m buying a house with my girlfriend and those things without a mouse or keyboard plugged seem to be too difficult for me :P
    Well, here is another update. I have worked a bit on the shoulderpads.

wip36yj.jpg

Ninjas: I´m going for a very similar version to your model. I always like to add things as i feel they look good, but you know, not always they look ok. I really need all your advice here.
    I´m planning to have the coat very fixed to the body, and opened at the bottom, but i would like to get that feeling of general ala Napoleon. That fur on the neck is making me go that way laugh.gif
    I hope to work on the arms tomorrow and then the legs.
    Thanks for your comments smile.gif
  • PaintTheFence
    Offline / Send Message
    PaintTheFence polycounter lvl 17
    Jhotun, I must admit that looks cool, but what's even cooler is that I've been banned.
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    I say go with your instinct. It is looking great. The concept is just the jumping off point!
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    Another nightly update. After ten hours of modeling at the job, six hours more are very exhausting. I really need to take this on the weekend to advance much more. Still lot of time, but i´d like to fight with two models, and this is just the first :P

Please, do not mind the legs. I have just started blocking some minutes ago, but a terrible headache is killing me. Off to bed now (don't tell gauss! :P)

wip47kc.jpg

Later
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Did the mafia get to him? wink.gif

Looks great. Can't wait to see the lower-half finished
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, with my two-days headache in progress, here is where i´m now. I´m happy because the weekend is near and except for the few hours i´ll go out to see Ayreon in concert, i plan to stick my ass to the chair and try to finish the hi-res mesh.
    I still have to model, refine and fix a lot of things, and then the zbrush pass will enter the scene.
    Please, still do not mind the legs and overlapping geometries, i have to work more on there.

wip58xa.jpg

Later

Oh, i forgot to take a render of the back. I´ll make it tomorrow. I have added a tiny tail inspired by ones that the frogs have at their early stages of their lives (urgh, do not know the name in english... "renacuajos"?)
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    your charcter is badass in a froggy sort of way. smile.gif

looking forward to how you handle the zbrush pass
  • cochtl
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    i dig those shoulder pads. he should be a tai kwon do MASTER with them well buffed legs. cool.gif
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate your comments.

Later
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah dude! Looking awesome, definately one of my favourites for this comp so far!

-caseyjones
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    Arf, arf, just some more minutes to get out of the job and start the real job :P

See you tonight :P
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another update. Colors are just a placeholder.
    As always, still tons to do :P

Thanks for your comments guys!

PD: Damn, I always forget to render the back...

Later

wip63pw.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Oh man i have been viewing the progress on this battle toad wink.gif and i must say i am loving every bit of each update.

Fantastic idea it reads 3g for what i think 3g would look like anyway.

Is their a weapon in the works or is that the weapon in his stomache?
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool. I like that added whiskers. The feet came out different than expected, but nice smile.gif
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    hold on...how did I miss that thread...

man, very interesting model, I like it a lot.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    haha nice to see the moustach, although I would have put it below the nostrils and a bit thicker. Feckin sweet work
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys. I have just arrived from watching Ayreon in concert smile.gif Fantastic and incredible smile.gif

$!nz : Thanks for your comments man. For the weapon i would like a similar approach to the one on the concept that Ninjas did (it is on the first page). I say similar because i feel that the dragonish head could be replaced for a more fish one. I´d like to make something that fits the style because i love the concept, but much more with the "water" theme.
    Ninjas, if you read this, maybe if you have time and have a good idea with that approach, a concept would help me a lot smile.gif

notman : What are whiskers? thanks for your comments. The feet right now seem to me very "sport". I think that the colors are giving a strange feeling there, but well, they are placeholders for when baking have something to "read" on the diffuse.

vahl : Thanks man

rooster : I have not experimented with the moustach, but i think that this is not the final place. It has been a very quick addition of last hour. I´ll try at where you say.
    Thanks man

Later
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    The whiskers are the bits you have coming out of his face. Rooster refered to them as a moustache.
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll do a couple of little sketches of the plasma hammer with different animal heads. A carp would be really cool I think!