Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    dont know if you tried but painting in lowpoly with 3d coat is amazing. i tried a lot of other softwares and 3dcoat gave the best result for me.

i always uses it to paint or fix seams on the lightmaps

This makes me think about something that has been bothering me. I can hand paint stuff and use lots of color. I can also sculpt and bake out a normal and lighting info. My problem is combining the two. My baked stuff always looks super gray scale desaturated - this is a mystery for me. Also, if anyone is working with HSV for color, is there an ideal range you should be keeping the V in (0 = black, and 1 = white)? I know that black and white are extreme values and should be avoided but I'm just wondering what others thoughts or ideal ranges would be.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Tamarin wrote: »
    This makes me think about something that has been bothering me. I can hand paint stuff and use lots of color. I can also sculpt and bake out a normal and lighting info. My problem is combining the two. My baked stuff always looks super gray scale desaturated - this is a mystery for me. Also, if anyone is working with HSV for color, is there an ideal range you should be keeping the V in (0 = black, and 1 = white)? I know that black and white are extreme values and should be avoided but I'm just wondering what others thoughts or ideal ranges would be.

You can use 3 types of layers; dodge(for super shiny) Color (to colorize a bit) and a normal layer just for painting over (in photoshop/gimp/etc). So if you want to hand paint stuff,
    -Make the greyscale by combining the maps together.
    -Get some color into your greyscale image with the blending mode set to "color", and paint the rest away with the normal layer.

Or

Use a gradient map and paint over it.

I'm not sure for the ideal range, but try to avoid anything under 10% black . For whites, it just depends on the material to me.

For combining the two, look at belkun's thread, he has a couple stuff posted there (its pretty recent)
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys just finished a set with BladeofEvil'sBane drop a like if u wish

FECD8A2181F50F5FF8445D02AC07DE559E9240F2

workshop : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=244098150
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Tamarin, can you recommend some good Blender tutorials that was good for you to start with? Yeah, I know I should Google it myself but I don't want to waste time looking for crappy ones instead. Nevermind. Got some links.

Does anyone know a free alternative for NDO2? (Yes, I'm that broke.)
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeeey we done our chest!!! :)

cvLf-6N7GtU.jpg

8tYZYDdHYC8.jpg
  • Muffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras wrote: »
    @Muffy Nice!! I really like this Void. Those crystals could be a little more intensive and have some self-illumination, but overall the set is really well done!! Gave thumbs up!!

Thanks!
    I originally had more selfillum on the crystals but it was making the specular highlights difficult to read. I wanted that "bling" in there so they are fully metallic, half selfillum in the mask values.
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Muffy wrote: »
    Thanks!
    I originally had more selfillum on the crystals but it was making the specular highlights difficult to read. I wanted that "bling" in there so they are fully metallic, half selfillum in the mask values.

I was thinking they could use some self illum too, but since you don't want that I'd suggest making them brighter and more saturated!

Good work btw.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    vertical wrote: »
    Tamarin, can you recommend some good Blender tutorials that was good for you to start with? Yeah, I know I should Google it myself but I don't want to waste time looking for crappy ones instead. Nevermind. Got some links.

Quixel announced that dDo is becoming free... but not nDo sadly
    Prosomogy wrote: »
    Yeeey we done our chest!!! :)

Nice! I was going to do some different chest uploads... new meta!
    Zbrush isn't that expensive AFAIK it's a bit more expensive than Mudbox. I've been using Mudbox but it's features is nothing compared to what ZBrush has to offer. So for me, it's going to be Blender. Luckily Blender has a 3DS Max control scheme. Gimp's painting feels more natural to me than Photoshop to be honest.

For anyone looking to buy zBrush, you can always find an authorized re-seller
    http://pixologic.com/retailers/
    Saved $150 on my license
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Frump wrote: »
    Off to the retopo chamber.
    d7hWzd4.png

Love the design of the wings, it's very different from a lot of other Puck sets.

@Tvidotto the shoulder piece helps but i think you need to make the true form the same color scheme as the spirit bear. there's still too much of a disconnect with the colors which I think is the most important part of making a cohesive set
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    It looks ok for me and its hard to comment about concept because its the part that i hate the most =] but what about making it add more to the sillhouette of the character? maybe more taller or pointy. perhaps some parts having a better sillhouette out of the character's would make it easy to read

Loved the headpice Frump! great work

guy, i received some feedback about the 2 models not looking like the are part of the same set and went asking for suggestions. Motenai suggested me to add more red to true form and i took some time to make the light bake more intense on the model.

DAY
    eNshrYw.jpg

NIGHT
    KHVSf3d.jpg

Do you guys think its still lacking consistency?

Should i use more red on the trueform?

They still feel so disjointed, as in they appear to belong in two different sets, or the bear is meant to be a standalone. I think altering the color to make the two match is enough to pull the whole set together.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    nuqSH3x.png
    Beep boop, trying to get a sleek style head for clockwerk
    should be fully flexed
  • Muffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Its not free, but i've been having fun in Substance Designer lately. Its a very interesting tool. I barely used photoshop on my last project. It was on sale on steam not long ago but sadly that has expired.
  • Gajun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys, what's Up.
    I'm a tf2 conceptual artist and was recently challenged to make a dota 2 mount with what little knowledge of the game i had, so i ended up drawing up this mount that doesn't even go with the characters color scheme.
    vKF8cA1l.png
    but i find drawing stuff for Dota too be a nice change from the tf2 stuff and i hope i can end up making some decent concepts, Here's something im currently working on with kite212:
    GPxTbb1l.png

Thought I'd like to tell you that you don't always have to have the same colors. Here's an example of a mount in the game.
    grull-the-grim-walker-sgtjf0ars.jpg
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nuqSH3x.png
    Beep boop, trying to get a sleek style head for clockwerk
    should be fully flexed

Knightwerk! I'm liking this!
  • Frederik J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Celths wrote: »
    Hello, i've just finished my new set for Disruptor.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=243414629

1396125767-prev-ls.jpg
    1396125914-dota-2014-03-28-16-08-40-30.gif
    how do you guys do the artwork??? if you cant draw then how someone that does it for free??
  • Joker_47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joker_47 polycounter lvl 6
    Frederik J wrote: »
    how do you guys do the artwork??? if you cant draw then how someone that does it for free??

Who said it's for free ? besides friends can make it for free so...

Here is my Lina set, hope you'lll ike it :)

Red sorceress by Ozzymandias

200x200.resizedimage
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    They still feel so disjointed, as in they appear to belong in two different sets, or the bear is meant to be a standalone. I think altering the color to make the two match is enough to pull the whole set together.

Hey Helenek, got a little confused here. Do you think if i push the big one more to red it will be better?
  • Silwer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Tvidotto.
    I'd say try pushing down the colours of the small panda instead, they booth look good but the red panda feels way to vivid in comparison to the big one.

Here's a quick example I did where I adjusted the bright orange on the back of the small panda to be more like the new colour of the big guy:
    0hGjoDx.png

Also, do you have any plans for how they should glow when rabid is active? Just curious :)
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    guy, i received some feedback about the 2 models not looking like the are part of the same set and went asking for suggestions. Motenai suggested me to add more red to true form and i took some time to make the light bake more intense on the model.

DAY
    eNshrYw.jpg

NIGHT
    KHVSf3d.jpg

Do you guys think its still lacking consistency?

Should i use more red on the trueform?
    If not for the shoulder piece i would've had a hard time guessing what's going on here. Maybe it looks better in context, but while the bear is okay (though horribly disproportioned), the summon looks too much like a cat (and a courier) than bear. Combine this with looking like a courier and this really breaks the connection between the two, not to mention the use of completely different palletes and materials. Your summon is brighter than the brightest part of the trueform.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    Knightwerk! I'm liking this!

thanks, some additional thanks to anuxi for her tips on design and silhouette
    gNtLgE4.gif
    not a drastic change but nicely subtle
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    Finished the Phantom Assasin weapon I've been working on with Alextz91! Hope you guys like it, any feedback is appreciated and will take it in to account in my next item :D Give it a Like&Fav if you wish!.
    D3413EA60F60BF0C75D6F376F3CC26B9283E938E
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys (shameless crosspost) ; finished a collab with Noblebatterfly ,please check it out :

link : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=244469287

0BD2ECDA1D3003CB19C583F68C4C54A5C49A4AF4
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Some WIP shots of a Puck set I'm working on with Arty for a tournament :D

6aISNAq.jpg
  • SemiColonThree
    Haha thats awesome! DO WANT O.O
    belkun wrote: »

6aISNAq.jpg
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun wrote: »

Looking great! Getting back on track on my stuffs... this has been a long time coming with Potm, lots more to do, some finishing, some polishing, making other stuffs for it... but progress!
    CMWip-1.jpg
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »
    delete me

very obvious, look at the bottom logo. that is really "VOLVO" instead of VALVE :poly142:
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agito666 wrote: »
    very obvious, look at the bottom logo. that is really "VOLVO" instead of VALVE :poly142:

Yeah one of those post before you read it all before you post moments :poly142:
  • Danglebob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    some more hangout funsies.
    Abbadon_Concept02_zps937714d1.jpg
  • Joker_47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joker_47 polycounter lvl 6
    belkun
    Not bad

kite212
    Looking good for now, I like hairstyle.

Screwonhed
    LOL

another item from me guys )

Hair of the beautiful Mermaid
    268x268.resizedimage
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Silwer wrote: »
    Hey Tvidotto.
    I'd say try pushing down the colours of the small panda instead, they booth look good but the red panda feels way to vivid in comparison to the big one.

Here's a quick example I did where I adjusted the bright orange on the back of the small panda to be more like the new colour of the big guy:
    0hGjoDx.png

Also, do you have any plans for how they should glow when rabid is active? Just curious :)

you are totally right, thanks sir!

going to do those changes

If not for the shoulder piece i would've had a hard time guessing what's going on here. Maybe it looks better in context, but while the bear is okay (though horribly disproportioned), the summon looks too much like a cat (and a courier) than bear. Combine this with looking like a courier and this really breaks the connection between the two, not to mention the use of completely different palletes and materials. Your summon is brighter than the brightest part of the trueform.

Thanks Vlad, but when you give feedback using words like "horribly disproportioned" its hard to take it seriously because i dont know if you are giving a real feedback or just want to express how much you hate everything
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joker_47 wrote: »
    belkun
    Not bad

kite212
    Looking good for now, I like hairstyle.

Screwonhed
    LOL

another item from me guys )

Hair of the beautiful Mermaid
    268x268.resizedimage

i cant imagine a fish human with fur, or samething like a snake grows fur XD
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    What do you guys think? I would like to know your honest opinion before I will do anything stupid :D Its a remake of this set: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=143513535

303ma0I.jpg

ps... aaa somehow I have lost alpha channel of hers cape...
  • Artypi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artypi polycounter lvl 5
    Absolutely loving the redesign, Konras!!

The headslot has a "Twilight princess" feel to it with those chunky interesting shapes but it really works!

I was a fan of the set to begin with but I think the rework definitely gives it a more cohesive aesthetic and that ingame angle looks great! The shoulders really draw the attention to that awesome hairdo.
  • ShorkGamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShorkGamer polycounter lvl 7
    EKpGm4f.jpg

Working on a WD Set. :-D
    Will be finished within this week! Pls giff mana and feedback!
    Btw. I got my 1st avatar. :D
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Artypi wrote: »
    Absolutely loving the redesign, Konras!!

The headslot has a "Twilight princess" feel to it which those chunky interesting shapes but it really works!

I was a fan of the set to begin with but I think the rework definitely gives it a more cohesive aesthetic and that ingame angle looks great! The shoulders really draw the attention to that awesome hairdo.

I agree! Really really love the headpiece, specially the ears, and the shape of the hair also flows really nicely. Also really like the pattern on the shoulders, weapon and cape. Awesome set!
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    I assume you will have some part to the back of the belt slot too, looks a bit breezy back there.

Make sure you don't get too ambitious with some of the slots you have there. Witchdoctor has quite low allowances for his LOD 1 specifically the;

Belt - 250
    Back - 300
    Head - 250

The negative space in the skulls means you could run into issues where you need to model the backfaces too considering players will be able to see through parts of the model. This can really impact the budget.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    ShorkGamer wrote: »
    EKpGm4f.jpg

Working on a WD Set. :-D
    Will be finished within this week! Pls giff mana and feedback!
    Btw. I got my 1st avatar. :D

STICK A BONE IN IT

xD
  • ShorkGamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STICK A BONE IN IT

xD

STICK A BONE IN IT YOU ARE DONE! xD
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    ShorkGamer wrote: »
    STICK A BONE IN IT YOU ARE DONE! xD
    giphy.gif

In reality tho your process with this piece, Shork, has been streets ahead of your past items. Just keep on, and learn from them as you go.
  • ShorkGamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 wrote: »
    giphy.gif

In reality tho your process with this piece, Shork, has been streets ahead of your past items. Just keep on, and learn from them as you go.

I wanna get dem colab.
  • Retract
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place... feel free to direct me elsewhere.

I'm currently getting this problem with my import to the workshop:
    7Szj3.jpg

I reset the pivot to 0,0,0, reset xforms, mounted the poly to the bone, but I'm still getting this import error. Does anyone have an idea as to what might be causing this?
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    What do you guys think? I would like to know your honest opinion before I will do anything stupid :D Its a remake of this set: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=143513535

303ma0I.jpg

Being nitpicky here and this might just be me, but I think the hair looks a little sideburns-y in the front, and I'm not sure if it's because the hair is separating them or not but the ears look (to me) to be slightly lighter than her skin. Also I think the shapes are really neat, but I think it could use some pops of color or something to give it areas of interest. Looking good though!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

303ma0I.jpg

I like the new redesign except the fact you pulled all the red out from the original, I really loved the inclusion of red in her color pallet!.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    @Konras
    I think the hair on the side of the head looks too much like sideburns, consequently it's not very attractive. The way the ponytail terminates looks strange and unnatural by coming to a flat stop. The silhouette for that part is different but not as dynamic as her other ponytails. For the cape, I think you should tone down the strength of the pattern a bit and make it look a bit more faded and maybe gradient it so it has a different strength at the top and bottom.

Just some of my thoughts. Keep going, it's much improved. :)
  • Artypi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artypi polycounter lvl 5
    Frump wrote: »
    @Konras
    I think the hair on the side of the head looks too much like sideburns, consequently it's not very attractive.

the sideburns are super cute! It doesnt feel like PA would be too concerned about expressing her femininity anyway

I think the sculpt could use some work to get a more natural flow of the hair as it's a little sterile/stiff, but the style is cute and fun which seems to fit the set's theme (and PA's character!)
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5

303ma0I.jpg

Head item looks like a Wolverine.
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

]http://i.imgur.com/303ma0I.jpg

reminds the elvis hair XD
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quickie update, need to finish and polish everything, and make the staff...
    CMWip2.jpg
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    Maybe this is way too off for this thread but, look like the merchant of death is inbound o_0

https://vine.co/v/MeDDA30D2U3