Home General Discussion

Gaming dreams?

valuemeal
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
Is it just me, or does anyone else have any game or tv based dreams? For a couple of years now,

I've actually have dreamt I was watching full thirty minute animated shows that don't exist either that or I experience gameplay of nonexistent platformers and RPG final boss battles that never happened.

To tell you the truth a couple of the characters that I've draw/modeled have actually originated from these dreams. Am I the only one who has this or what?

Replies

• Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    1. get job as creative director
    2. sleep at work
    3. ???
    4. profit!

seriously, I often read that it helps creative people to have something to write ready next to their bed to jot down ideas when this happens. I don't think you're the only one. However most other people quickly forget any cool things they dreamed up unless they write them down.
  • EvilPixills
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    When I was playing Eve Online, (taking a long break atm) I use to have random dreams where I would be flying around low sec space and would get ambushed by large groups of ships, and every time my menus and UI would go completely fubar, ruining my chances of escape. Other times I would just be cruising around space and seeing some pretty nice visuals. Eve is the only game I've ever dreamed about to this day.
  • JamesArk
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Years ago I dreamt that hundreds of Lost Souls from Doom were flying around, but with Will Wright's face. Needless to say I cry every time I play The Sims.

bdwt.jpg
  • valuemeal
    Offline / Send Message
    I had another gaming dream fellows, it was some obscure platformer/rpg that didn't exist
    it was about some orphan kid who used the souls of his ancestors in order to use elemental and athletic abilities.
  • GrevSev
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    I keep having dreams about what I think are games. I'm not playing them but just watching from a safe distance.

Id like them to stop but turning them into a game would be better.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I always thought this was normal if somebody spent a moderate amount of time consuming content from a TV show/videogame that they really enjoyed. I've been having these for a while and they can get pretty whacky at times lol. More recently I just have math related nightmares though :(
  • AA3D
    Offline / Send Message
    AA3D polycounter lvl 3
    yeah i get dreams about ( whatever my mind gets busy with for a long time )

i think its a good sign man xD
    that means 3D is ur everyday concern

BTW my grandmom sometimes dreams about stuff before it happens . she tells my mother about the dream . my mother tells me and bam .. next day or week or month or even years it happens
    example : she once said she dreamt that a ( not so close ) family member died ... next day we got news that he died ... :)
  • Grindy
    Offline / Send Message
    Grindy polycounter lvl 10
    I dreamt I was with some friends and my parents, hunting wild animals on Schwarzebegger's golf which was also a zoo not too long ago. I have that kind of dreams every week, I find it pretty cool, but it's rarely game related.
  • valuemeal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bean wars
    A battleground type of game where players have to try to destroy another's castle on top of a beanstalk.

There were many player types in this game
    Beamer- dude with lasers
    Gardener-fellows who plant barbs and hazards of that nature around the beanstalk
    Gorilla Mechanics- Giant humanoid gorillas who can disassemble machines with ease.
    Hiveminds- Similar to the character I created awhile back called "Hivemind", powerful psychers who seem to have dominion over bees.

All and all it seemed to be similar to many of today's shooters, but without the shooting.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    when I was studying landscapes in UDK I started getting dreams about extremely jagged landscapes made of tris I could fly and smash through in some kind of weird like fashion.

worst is the one where I had a normal dream and was getting tons of work done and it was turning out really good, felt like id been working hours then woke up with a load of work still to do.
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    Dota dreams are the worst.

When i was in 8th grade i stayed up til 5am playing breath of fire 3. I slept for an hour (dreaming about it) then got up and went to school. I spent the next 4 hours in a half-awake BOF3 feuled delirium.

It was glorious.
  • valuemeal
    Offline / Send Message
    Indeed, when I am half asleep I sometimes calculate rpg battle stats and levels for some reason. I remember when I was playing this game called Phantom Brave in my last year of high school whenever I got up in the morning I kept imagining how long things would remain physical because characters in that game are all spirits and don't stay in the material plane long.
  • iconoplast
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    I have a lot of variations on these types of dreams. It's quite normal and there's been a bit of research in to it, although not a lot has been determined past that it happens and that it's essentially a process involved in skill learning. Anecdotally speaking, I'm fairly sure dreaming about tetris made me better at it, so I find it entirely plausible.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I had a dream about me dreaming about myself then myself slapping me in that dream and asking me what I am dreaming about. Then I forgot about the entire thing in another dream.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I once had a dream about a Skyrim Mod that I eventually wrote down. I don't remember what it was but I experience it in the first person (as I do most dreams) and it was quite vivid.

I never had the time to start working on it so I tossed it.
  • Equanim
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Kind of related: I'm an insomniac and one method I use to fall asleep is to construct a model in my head, tweaking individual verts etc. It doesn't have to be anything in particular, just a complex shape to keep track of.
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    I had a dream about a game story once, if that counts?
    my own story of course.
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    valuemeal wrote: »
    Bean wars
    A battleground type of game where players have to try to destroy another's castle on top of a beanstalk.

There were many player types in this game
    Beamer- dude with lasers
    Gardener-fellows who plant barbs and hazards of that nature around the beanstalk
    Gorilla Mechanics- Giant humanoid gorillas who can disassemble machines with ease.
    Hiveminds- Similar to the character I created awhile back called "Hivemind", powerful psychers who seem to have dominion over bees.

All and all it seemed to be similar to many of today's shooters, but without the shooting.

Make this game, i'd play it.
  • LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I've had them in the past. Not so much recently...

I've dreamed up an entire episode of Rurouni Kenshin... then... I work up before the resolution... I hated that.
    I've had a dream as my SWG character a few times... my Jedi was getting hunted by a Bounty Hunter.
  • JakeZetter
    Offline / Send Message
    JakeZetter polycounter lvl 7
    lol at will wright lately. my life has calmed down enough that I don't get them much. I do remember back in high school before my junior mid term I had a dream from mirrors edge where I kept falling off at the last minute.
  • valuemeal
    Offline / Send Message
    Host with the most-
    A game where a young boy who hosts the spirits of bizarre monster warriors to amp up his own battle skills, and rewrite a broken past,.

For example, he used the cake warrior spirit to generate infinite amounts of sweets for a a village that died out 40 years ago; and when he returned to the present a new invention was crafted by one of the surviving children.
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Had some Walking Dead dreams. Sadly I can't really remember much about them :/
  • Suba
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    I had a dream about me dreaming about myself then myself slapping me in that dream and asking me what I am dreaming about. Then I forgot about the entire thing in another dream.
    That's some pretty Inception shit you got there.
  • JamesTKirk
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    I've had tetris dreams. Block and blocks all night long!
  • thatanimator
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    when I was a kid I fell asleep in the tub, dreamt I was playing tomb raider 2, the venetian stage even..

I jumped to grab a ledge........

I woke up hanging on by the shower curtain as both it and I fell backwards into the tub banging my head on shit and getting covered by the curtain under water for a while..
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Still calling for a realistic(art) DBZ open world rpg.

Edit: I missed the point of the thread lol.
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 14
    I had a dream once that there were open positions in the games industry.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I've made myself sad now.
  • valuemeal
    Offline / Send Message
    Gleam team
    A group of hero misfits on a distant hero planet ban together to make the best of their supposedly useless abilities.

It starts off at a trillionare's anti grav, reality warping funhouse high rise and everyone in the immidate town has been invited.Thing biggest superheroes names around flaunt their status, while a group of misfits with somewhat useless abilties keep too themselves in the corner.

Everything goes ary when the demntions get warped from using the anit grav devices too much; and everyone at the event and town get flung into different distant areas

The first area seems to be a farmland planet where everyone is trying to hide from torenal rains, however all of the bridges have been arched up too high for everyone to pass. The misfits are trying to sheild themselves as well, but cannot seem too move past a high overaching bridge; while being soaked they happen upon a seemingly normal abandoned house where they are introduced to each others core pockets dimentions upon entry and are told do make the best of their abilities.

Gramzy- A goth girl who has the power to wither things and age herself elderly for short periods of time
    mameban- A round metalball hero, with the power of shields,bouncing and carving wholes

adaptodos - a cyborg dinosaur with the ability to copy seemingly useless abiltities.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i think a game based on Mistborn books would be cool.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I had a dream that a stray dog got into the pantry of the alley way bistro I worked and it was leaking necrotic energy, what ever that is. I sprayed it with some sort of gas and it dissolved into a black goo, I mixed baking soda into it to clean it up. I also knew that the resulting black powder could be sold on the black market as a powerful magic drug called "Black Sand".

I would like to turn that nugget into a game about cyber-punk/occult drug cooking & dealing. Like Breaking Bad meets Neuromancer on acid.
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    Since I was a kid, I have always had this premonition thing. sometimes when I sleep or am awake, I get this flash for a few seconds of a scenario most times of something that happens that makes no sense to me.

Later, that very scenario happens right in front of my eyes. It's very unsettling and shocking to me. I try to recall when I had the premonition but can never remember but after I have seen the event occur I know I have seen it before but can't remember when or where.
    Like when one of my friends started complaining about the weather.Right there, it was like I had seen everything before. The weather, the way the car was, the exact coffee cup on the dashboard, my other friend in the back seat laughing exactly, the clothes everyone was wearing. The exact words he said.
    I try to brush it away. I sometimes wonder why it happens and if there is some warning or meaning to it. I have tried to see it its something I can control ( I know right!!). But it happens involuntarily.

The less I worry about it the better. Another thing I have noticed is that when I warn people about something since I was a kid. They most times don't listen to me and its exactly what I say happens.
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I had a dream a few times that I finally got a job in a AAA game studio and I was so happy. And then I show up for work and for some reason I can't even draw a stick figure or make a box and basically get banished.

Then there was the dream were I got into Irrational Games as a level designer and for some reason I didn't realize they hired me D: They also had a reaaaaaally big giant conference/lunch room reminiscent of the dining hall in Hogwarts.

Then there was the dream I got to go to Valve and apparently in my dream Valve is a giant university campus bought by Gabe and everyone lives in dorms, although I had to sleep in a bathroom as part of the new guy ritual and stuttered/everything I made was junk. And then I impressed everyone by being able to levitate myself with my hands and Gabe warned me not to levitate in front of people as the government might take me away and lock me up/experiments/the g-man is watching.

Oh... gg subconcious. gg..
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Kwramm wrote: »
    1. get job as creative director
    2. sleep at work
    3. ???
    4. profit!

3 = tell everyone to do the opposite of what they were doing. 2 weeks before release realize u made a mistake, refuse to admit it and declare crunch. Then, go back to sleep
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    World of Starcraft
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Autocon wrote: »
    World of Starcraft

buyfordollar.jpg
  • valuemeal
    Offline / Send Message
    Gloomburgh
    A game that takes place in an expansive city called Gloomburgh, the goal of the main character is to escape said city by any means possible. From what I recollect it was an action adventure game, and the protagonist was fighting some sort of war-boss in a gloomy factory, every time he would defeat him though some angel would reverse the clocks and say "This isn't the righteous path" and turn back the clock. After three tries he threw a book at the angel and then was gored by the war-boss.

I am not sure about this one, it seems to have an honor initiative.
  • valuemeal
    Offline / Send Message
    School Dayzed
    There is this society where every aspect of life is established to be an educational enviornment; from architechture to agriculture. All is well on this planet until one day, one day evil off-worlders evenvelope that plantet in a thick miasthma and whilst instantly changing the make up of the planet.

Once vibrant towns and cities lush with vegitation are reduced dull purple lands with a thick looming fog.The ciriculum of life is now undermined and everyone must fill out small test forms to complete simple daily tasks.Also one cannot travel with ease, one will easily get lost if they venture off alone.

Our hero is a janitorial dude who is tasked with cleaning up useless artifacts; he drives a convoy that can easily navigate the miasthma.

A thick shadowy miasthma coats the paths from town to town, every place sames to have the same gloomy air until he happens upon a hidden musical town, where he learns of the planet's true form and culture. He also figures out that jazz music and dispel the void. He is given an ancient audio artifact that could undo the damage.

After many trials he happens upon the central office complex,he stealthy infiltrates the stronghold and finds himself in the central broadcasting room. As he is about to insert the audio disk the main speaker console, he is called into the principal's office on the loud speaker.A giant smoke hand grabs him and pulls him away.

He awakes in a sterile white room is confronted by a giant loathsome egg like giant who was about to condemn him to a suspended animation detention center where he would be awoken once every six days to write long essays with out a break. Be he could be binded the audio disk he had on his person enveloped him a musical aura, he charged the principal and then I woke up.

Quite a strange dream huh?
  • valuemeal
    Offline / Send Message
    I had another strange dream, however it seemed as though it was an episode of a television show as apposed to an actual game.

The Beta Carotene character I designed last year was invited to judge a literal "miss universe beauty pageant" ; it had an odd set up though, on one side of the room there were a wide array of beauties from all throughout the galaxy and on the other end of the room there were rather sweaty fellows.

There were many categories of beauty being judged by the right side of the room and candidates choose on the left were scuttled of into another room while many of the judges were taking leave. Beta Carotene got weary and tried to step out for some fresh air, however on his way out he saw that the beauties were being fused together with the sweaty fellows to equalize the beauty standards.

I woke up then and there.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    you have to end with:

"and when I woke up, my pillow was gone!"
  • Hazardous
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    HAHAHAHAHAH holy shit I havent laughed like this for so long. Morris this is the most entertaining stuff of all time.
  • valuemeal
    Offline / Send Message
    I am still having cinematic dreams, however they don't seem game related.
    Last night I had this odd dream where more than half of earth's population had just up and disappeared. Every place seemed to be in working order however no one seemed to be about. Towns were completely desolate, yet everything seemed to be clean and in working order.

There was a small town situated in a supermarket that magically replenished itself, (I am not really sure how); there seemed to be a bit of walking dead drama in there; someone then broke up a fight in the storage. After this occured a truck plowed in, and then I woke up
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    valuemeal wrote: »
    Gloomburgh
    A game that takes place in an expansive city called Gloomburgh, the goal of the main character is to escape said city by any means possible. From what I recollect it was an action adventure game, and the protagonist was fighting some sort of war-boss in a gloomy factory, every time he would defeat him though some angel would reverse the clocks and say "This isn't the righteous path" and turn back the clock. After three tries he threw a book at the angel and then was gored by the war-boss.

I am not sure about this one, it seems to have an honor initiative.

Definitely sounds like a meat game
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I dream:
    lsd-cat.jpg
    not all dreams are good for you tho
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    I just had a dream about a game where you played someone who worked at a Home Depot and couldn't stand your job because your name was Tim Allen.
  • KeirKieran
    Offline / Send Message
    KeirKieran polycounter lvl 3
    I always have dreams for whatever game I'm playing at the time. Or the game bleeds over into a regular dream. Like I'm at work, but I have the Skyrim interface going, or I'm redoing my living room, but everything works like Minecraft.
  • Anthony
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    I remember one dream i had a while back, I was in AC2, evesdropping on the Templar meeting where they're discussing killing the Medici family, i'm actually sat where Ezio sits as the Templars talk, and one of them, I think Francesco de'Pazzi, asks:

"What about the guards?"

And Rodrigo Borgia replies: "The Cannon Fodder will be in place, don't worry."

Heh,
  • DanglinBob
    I once dreamed a whole sequence that looked like it was from Scott Pilgrim, complete with health bars... weird.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Not sure if it counts as a "gaming" dream, but I had a dream where it felt like I was watching a movie where unity-chan was killing different people for no reason and the police couldn't keep up with her tracks to catch her.

I think I need to find a new placeholder model.
  • valuemeal
    Offline / Send Message
    Chronological Order
    Another strange dream, seemed to have premise of Chrono Trigger and Radiant Historia,
    however the duties of the hero was to merge timelines and time overlaps to ensure the optimal timeline. Too many alterations can result in "ghost" from other timelines distorting the main line.