Art of Darksiders

Replies

• Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    hahaha was coming to make a thread on this :D just pre-ordered it on amazon, so stoked! itll be coming the same month as my ballistic god of war 3 art book too!
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    I need this, inside me.
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Just ordered mine aswell, cant wait for this one :) the guys at Vigil did such an awesome job on the artwork, dont know what Im more excited for now between this and the god of war artbook. gonna be a good month :D
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    yay! more art books :(

was sad the God of War 3 art book was pushed back to October... but waddayagonnado.
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Pre-ordered! Hope theres just as much environment stuff as there is character art? and its half the price of what the uncharted 2 art book cost me. :)
  • Zephiris
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris polygon
    Im very very picky about buying actual books due to their unhandyness and bulkyness etc., but I dont think I can pass up on this, the style of that game is just too awesome.
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    moose wrote: »
    was sad the God of War 3 art book was pushed back to October... but waddayagonnado.

please say thats not true :( amazon have mine for delivery first week of august, but only fools believe online release dates :(
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    crazyfool wrote: »
    please say thats not true :( amazon have mine for delivery first week of august, but only fools believe online release dates :(

ya, i just got a mail earlier in the week saying they were pushing it back.
    Hello from Amazon.com.

We're writing about the order you placed on June 04 2010 (Order#xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx). Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Daniel P. Wade "The Art of God of War III (The Art of the Game)"
    Estimated arrival date: October 05 2010

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this delay.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Still waiting on that Intro to Unreal Scripting from Amazon >.>
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    @Haiddasalami: Blame 3D Buzz and Epic for that :D
    Now I need this book and the Uncharted 2 one :(
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Speaking of which, where's the concept artist's site that worked on this game (besides Joe Mad)?
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Skamberin wrote: »
    @Haiddasalami: Blame 3D Buzz and Epic for that :D

barnes and noble has it to July 1st -.- Would be agreat Canada Day's gift XD
  • Spark
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Ebagg, your looking for Paul Richards site, which is http://www.autodestruct.com/ which everyone should have in their reference links:)

Spark
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    So mine arrived today :D just wondered if anyone else picked this up and what they thought of it?

Im in love with the book haha, the concept art is beautiful and the 3d renders at the end of the book are real nice. Again though this book is more about the concept art so 3d nuts might feel hard done by, probably about 40 pages of this 288 page book is dedicated to 3d but there are small hints throughout the book of there 3d process, the 3d stuff is still lovely though, looks like a few in game beauty shots of most of the characters and then the Promo stuff aswell. The 2d character and environment work is stunning though,

If anyone is like me and fell in love with auto destructs website then I would 100% recommend it.
  • Tom Ellis
    Mine's apparently out for delivery right now, being delivered to my work so hopefully it gets here before I finish for the day... sooo excited, even more so now I've heard your thoughts Crazy.

Glad to hear there's a bit of enviro stuff in there too, really looking forward to checking that out.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    WTF!!!!????

Shipment 1 of 1 Not yet shipped Delivery Estimate:November 29, 2010 - December 1, 2010

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1926778103/ref=oss_product"]The Art of Darksiders [/ame]Vigil Games, et al
    Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

• Tom Ellis
    WTF!!!!????

Shipment 1 of 1 Not yet shipped Delivery Estimate:November 29, 2010 - December 1, 2010

The Art of Darksiders Vigil Games, et al
    Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

Don't lose hope Jeremy!

My delivery estimate changed about four times since preordering this back when it was announced. Mine was originally planned to ship about November 29th but I got an email on Friday night saying the estimate had been brought forward to the 9th, followed about half an hour later by the dispatch notification.

My guess is that the publisher had told Amazon it was gonna be late November, then not told them about it being ready earlier, suddenly they start turning up at Amazon depots.
  • Asgard
    just ordered thanks for the find! :D
  • Jeremy-S
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    This artbook looks to be what I was hoping the digital artbook that you got with the coupon code with the game was. That thing was very disappointing, with most of the art already seen, and it took forever to get to the people with codes. Some of the videos were pretty bad ass, though, and I did enjoy it for what it was.

And that price is pretty damn good. I'm used to about $50 a book, so $27 on sale at amazon right now works for me. Absolutely picking that one up.

On the topic of 3d versus 2d content of it, I get more inspired by 2d art, than 3d, personally. I end up wanting to make a 2d character into 3d, and have a lot of fun doing it. Seeing the 3d stuff will be nice, but that's stuff I deal with everyday, so I'd much rather look at 2d :D
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    yea I got a thousand emails about delays and stuff, I wasnt expecting it until the end of november, so pretty happy right now :)

Yea I do like seeing the 2d stuff but would like to see more 3d in these artbooks, the art of Uncharted 2 and God of war 3 had a tiny section on 3d compared to the concept art side and its nice seeing zbrush renders but would like a much more in depth look into the 3d side of things. Maybe with a more making of approach than an art of.

The great thing about the darksiders book though is that the 2d isnt just matte paintings, its all the working out and variations on how they came to a final design. Most with a 3d model aswell............ great book haha
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I really want this, and I didn't even get the GoW3 one yet! :X
  • Jeremy-S
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Oh yeah, I like to see the 3d stuff, it's killer. I love seeing zb stuff in art books and just studying it, and thinking it's the shit. I just meant, I'm fine with this book being more 2d.

I'd love to see a more affordable book more dedicated to 3d. The Ballistic books are great, but so expensive, on their site anyway, $70 for an artbook is just plain ridiculous. Just searched them on Amazon, though and they have more reasonable prices there. The Gears book (NOT exclusive to Gears, though), for $47. That's more reasonable. Not good, but reasonable.

I know I, and a lot of other people, asked FredH for an Art of Dominance War book, but while he said it was being considered, it never happened (obviously). THAT I'd pay $70 for
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I bought the Hell Book edition and it has a small artbook, but the quality of printing is so poor :S, and all is 2d!
  • GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    I LOVED their concept for the Horse of Ruin. Even took a quick swipe at it a while back in zBrush.

hellshorsessclupt.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Arrived earlier.

I have to say this is the most professional art book I own. And I've got both the UC2 and GoW Ballistic books.

It's like they put it together solely for game artists. The sheer quantity of content is insane, I'm quite stunned.

I mean, the Ballistic books are incredible, and visually beautiful, but they're the kind of books that would probably appeal to anybody whether they are a production artist or not. But this Darksiders book is like Vigil just got EVERY piece of concept art and production art and put it together in a book and said 'here you go aspiring game artists, this is what we do'.

Highly recommended. Even if you didn't rate the game, the book is just pure awesome. Loads of characters, loads of environments, props, weapons etc. And from many stages of development. Even early sketches of War which render him barely recognizable compared to his final form.
  • TheDarkKnight
    Offline / Send Message
    TheDarkKnight polycounter lvl 13
    Ordered mine from Amazon today, hope to get it sometime this week
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    had this for a little while now cos I ordered it direct from udon........so very pretty, from the dust jacket to the embossed hardcover to the art inside...just quality. I have a lot of the ballistic books butthis really does top them. Great stuff!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I ordered mine a few months back, I moved back to Australia last week and the next day they shipped my copy and is now being sent to Singapore :(
  • Tom Ellis
    I ordered mine a few months back, I moved back to Australia last week and the next day they shipped my copy and is now being sent to Singapore :(

Sorry to hear that, hopefully you can get it sorted. If it's Amazon, they're usually pretty good with sorting stuff like that out. I know I've had to reroute a few shipments in the past and they've handled it well.

Rest assured it will be well worth the wait!
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Ha I was looking at this on Amazon last night and wondering when it was going to be released as Amazon just had "this item has not shipped yet" as a release date. Since it seems like a few of them are getting it I pre-ordered mine and it says sometime between Nov 30 and Dec 8. Cant wait! :)