Home General Discussion

Ever Looking Back ?

TAN
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
TAN polycounter lvl 12
Hey, ever been a time after a long time you looked back at one of your pieces that got really criticised and thought " You know what, screw all of'em. That is a good one"

Yeah that is pretty much it really. So here you go :D

Replies

• MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Nope. When I look back at older stuff I can see where the crit was coming from more clearly and a bunch of other issues too.
    If someone is looking back at old stuff that was heavily criticized and still not seeing problems... Then I either enough time has not passed or they have not grown enough yet maybe.
  • FullSynch
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    Nah, usually I look back and see people were going easy on me. That being said it's best not to fixate on the past. :)
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    TAN wrote: »
    " You know what, screw all of'em. That is a good one"

From 9 years ago. It messed up some guy in the old eatpoo forums. Didn't take his harsh crits personally in the slightest cuz it was a basically an experimental slash practice piece for me.

Yes, those are canteen jugs.

Final_Hero_1.jpg~original
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    No, it's usually the opposite. I'm like "Ah shit, they were right. Now I can see it.", haha.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Actually usually I look back on my old pieces and think to myself...

OHHH yeahhh.. they were totally right.

:/
  • X-One
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    Usually I look back at old work and understand the crits. That said, sometimes what I was trying to accomplish required that I ignore specific criticism.

Not every bit of good criticism will help accomplish your objective on a given project.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    X-One wrote: »
    Usually I look back at old work and understand the crits. That said, sometimes what I was trying to accomplish required that I ignore specific criticism.

Not every bit of good criticism will help accomplish your objective on a given project.

Agreed, there are certain times where I don't agree with the crit of what I was working on as there critique is against the objective I was trying to accomplish with something. Not every critique is right or valid.

A critique is merely one persons opinion based on there knowledge and personal tastes on what you should do differently to be more inline with what they feel works best.

edit: That said, I still enjoy and appreciate every critique I get because even a critique on something you don't agree with can spark a realization somewhere else within your piece you which to change for the better.
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    mhm when i look back at my old shit im amazed by how shit this looks now, but every piece has something i still like about it.

its kind of like when you find a good picture on the CGhub\Artstation wall, but forget to bookmark it and later find it again, because that thing that made the thumbnail stand out to you the first time is still there and you will always find it again when you see it.
  • brnszetl
    Thanks for the post...
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I don't tend to get much critique or feedback in a studio environment so I'm my own harshest critic, so I usually look back at my old stuff and realize "I remember thinking this sucked ass but it's actually pretty good" Which is why I really need to make a conscious effort to back my stuff up - I didn't back up about 95% of my work from my last three jobs.
  • LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Nope. I'm typically like, that piece was shit. *throws old piece in the trash*
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    When I look back at my stuff I usually think, "I should finish this." lol
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12

LOL :D True... True...
  • Leinad
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    Nope, I am usually more surprised when I get positive responses since I am usually much more critical on myself than others are on my work.

I've had the opposite happen, I set aside a piece thinking it's terrible. Come back to it a few months later and feel that it wasn't as bad as I thought it was.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    the difficulty sometimes lies in separating critique based on artistic principles from critique based on personal taste. In the latter it's perfectly ok to choose to dismiss the critique.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    When I look back at an old piece, it's always ten times worse than I remember it. So, I started keeping a timeline for myself of old work. Whenever I feel down about how much my work sucks, I look at my old stuff to remind myself I used to suck A LOT more. :poly136:

As for old critiques, oftentimes I didn't understand them well enough to apply them to my work properly, but when I look back, I finally understand what they meant.
  • slipsius
    I find a good way to avoid those types of regrets is that if you ever get a crit that you think is unfair, or if you think the person posting is acting/sounding like an ass, send the crit to a friend. Ask them if they think it sounds douchey, or if you are just taking it to heart because you are so close to the piece.

But most importantly, even if you think someone is being douchey, don't get defensive. Just tell them thanks for the input. Just because someone critiques your piece, doesnt mean you need to follow that critique. Especially if it's not technical, and just subjective, like they think it would look better if you did A instead of B.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    slipsius wrote: »
    But most importantly, even if you think someone is being douchey, don't get defensive. Just tell them thanks for the input. Just because someone critiques your piece, doesnt mean you need to follow that critique. Especially if it's not technical, and just subjective, like they think it would look better if you did A instead of B.

It's also entirely possible that this douchey person in your thread is actually bringing up a totally valid (but tough to swallow) point that the other people are just too polite to tell you about. :poly128:
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I have an old piece when i was 17 which people usually like more than my current stuff ;_;
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12

Totally this >_<"