Home General Discussion

Cost of Sprites

Hello, for a University project I am wondering whether someone can inform me of the following:

If you were hired as a artist creating sprites, how much money would you expect to earn per hour?

If you were outsourced to make a sprite how much would you expect to earn per sprite made?

Thanks.
MyOldDeadInn

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not a 2d/sprite artist, so there may be some standard rates for this sort of work that I'm not aware of, however, generally, this will vary too heavily to give you a number.

To figure out how much you should charge for any work, first you need to figure out how long the work will take you to do, then you need to figure out how much your time is worth. From there, its a simple matter of amount of work * day or hourly rate, and that is how much you charge.

When figuring out your freelance rate, be sure to include all the various extra costs of doing freelance work, like:
    paying for taxes
    paying for retirement
    having enough money to survive between gaps in work/downtime
    cost of living
    hardware/software costs
    etc
  • MyOldDeadInn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply. Though I was meaning for this to from the perspective of the company paying for the art. Regardless thanks for this information.

MyOldDeadInn
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    i would expect the same money as with doing super highres ingame characters, per hour.

And why would it be different? Work is work. Of course people can start giving discounts, be it for passion projects or for large amounts. But this is a whole different discussion.
  • MyOldDeadInn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply. What would your hourly rate be in that case, if you are a artist?

MyOldDeadInn
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    It probably doesn't help when I say this, but between $20-$500 an hour.

In most cases, you pay more for higher quality/more experience.
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    $700 an hour.

Edit: Do you need something specific? As you could probably just use some RPG maker sprites
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    The real question is, What are you willing to pay for quality art? That is a question you should be asking yourself, based on your entire team budget.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You also need to factor in that if the client is looking for sprites, there's a high probability that they're penniless indie developers who're already living on 2-minute noodles.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Jackablade wrote: »
    You also need to factor in that if the client is looking for sprites, there's a high probability that they're penniless indie developers who're already living on 2-minute noodles.

you seem to have missed that companies like, zynga, facebook, king, wooga, goodgame, innogames and maaaaaaaany more that i don't know, use sprites for almost all of their games. and they have tons of money, the mobile and browser market is huge. especially here in germany, thats almost all thats left from the industry here, and they are doing pretty well.
  • cheesywests
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,
    What are you willing to pay for quality art?
    That is a question you should be asking yourself,
    thanks,
    [FONT=&quot]thecheesyanimation.com/3D-Architectural-Rendering.html [/FONT]
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    How big is the freelance side of things there? I would have assumed those bigger mobile typed studios would have done most of their stuff in house. There's not usually a large amount of art in those sorts of games.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    here they probably have the biggest teams and besides that they still do outsource. i would not underestimate the amount of work for some of these games, on top they by far do not release all of their productions, we worked on a few titles which never saw the light of day.