Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Abandoned Cathedral

For my final university project, I've decided to do a real-time environment in UDK. It's set to be an abandonned cathedral in a desolate setting with a gloomy-ish atmosphere.

The project has to be done by mid-April and is my main project on which I will spend most my time so I will try to update this thread regularly.

Here's a first concept I've done.

wip02.png

Replies

• Bagstor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bagstor polycounter lvl 6
    werry beautiful! keep going!
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Mid-April? Well, at least you've got plenty of time. Awesome concept by the way.
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheese_Shinobi polycounter lvl 9
    Wonderful concept! :)
  • yubbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great. Have a look at pictures of some ruined abbeys such as Fountains, Rievaulx, Tintern or Whitby, might give you some additional inspiration.
  • Adriaan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adriaan polycounter lvl 8
    Amazing concept art, I'm looking forward to seeing the scene take form!
  • JobyeK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JobyeK polycounter lvl 13
    Looking good so far, though I think you could probably inject a bit more color and vegetation/overgrowth in there to break the monotone color scheme right now while still retaining the decayed and gloomy feeling of it. Maybe push the Fall season aspect of it given the orange leaves you have there?
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @yubbie: Thanks, those are some great references that I will definitely be using.

@deceiver: I will definitely have to rework and experiment with the colors to get the monochromatic feel of the concept, all while keeping the abandoned/decayed feel.

This was actually my first concept that I did just to get something on "paper" and go from there.
    wipb.png

I've also worked on some orthographic views for the the building to help me visualise more clearly the components that I will have to build. With this, I think it'll also help me plan for how I should break down the structure into modules.

I've read this topic and found it pretty interesting (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87751) and I'm thinking I should go with a similar technique using mainly tileable textures.

wipc.png

Also, following this great tutorial by choco (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88933) I've started building my landscape/terrain.

In chronological order:
    wipda.png
    wipd.png
    wipe.png

I've need to blend in some detail textures on the terrain, but I think its a good start.
  • Zyloh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zyloh polycounter lvl 8
    I also followed Choco's tutorials. Your terrain looks awesome. I love the first screen. Excited to see this project come to life!
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So... things have been going a lot slower that I would like them to go. I really have to speed up and work more if I want to finish in time.

I've started working on my textures and stuff I'll be using to build my walls. I start by sculpting the main shapes in ZBrush and then I go to add more detail in Photoshop and nDo.

Pretty basic ZBrush-ing
    7fev.png

Left: Normal map only
    Right: Normal map and diffuse map, no specular yet.
    Bottom: Rough mockup of what would be a wall module, only bricks have diffuse
    11fev.png

Still need to work on the textures and try to get some walls up my the end of next week. Oh, and does anyone know how to bake ZBrush matcaps onto a low res or something? I wanted to do it for the tileable bricks, but instead I just grabbed the document and matched it by hand in Photoshop
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    21fev.png

Real slow updates, got a few modular pieces for walls. Still need to do lightmap UVs and get them in the engine.
  • DJ_Aaron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DJ_Aaron polycounter lvl 10
    loookin sweeeet :D
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    28fev.png

Got my walls in-engine. I AM SOOOOOO LATE. Gotta get my cathedral up very soon. Lighting and fog is temporary, everything is feeling washed out a bit and is lacking awesomeness.
  • desktoppirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    desktoppirate polycounter lvl 11
    This is going to look very pretty. Love the texture so far on the walls, stones feel too small IMO though.
  • Neolight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neolight polycounter lvl 10
    Nice work so far! Will be watchin
  • Leodido
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update, started building the cathedral facade.

3mar.png
  • Korrax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work, them rock sculpt and textures look just phenomenal!
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress update:

Got the core of the cathedral in engine
    Did a first pass of vertex painting on the cathedral pieces, the walls still need to be done.
    Also played aroudn with post processing, sharpen, a bit of chromatic aberation, tonemapping, etc.

Still a lot to do, and time is running out.

14mar.png
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    huyk wrote: »
    3mar.png

stone feels very flat, this with or without normals?
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's with normals, in max's viewport. You think I should try parallax mapping? I have the heightmap already, so I probably should try it with parallax in UDK.
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    really looking forward to this! sexy concept skills + enviro skills! excited i am :)!
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is great, will be watching
  • strobelite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I LOVE that stone texture. Awesomeee, can't wait to see more!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Looking great. I'm not sure I feel that the stone is flat, I think it plays to the light well, especially with all the contrast in the diffuse. I'll keep an eye on this one. Good work.
  • DirkJan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DirkJan polycounter lvl 4
    Looks great so far. About the flat stone: I saw this in Romy's Pirate UDK Thread (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1465806#post1465806)

Here he explains how to get a bit more dept in the brickwall.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1465806&postcount=36

Hope it helps you a bit.
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DirkJan: thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that part of his thread yet. Unfortunately, I already incorporated a few matcaps into my texture, which I had a pretty hard time doing.

I did it by doing a grabdoc in zBrush in a resolution larger than my texture and then matching it to my texture manually in photoshop. If anyone has a better way I'd be glad to know.

I modeled and added some floor tiles, very influenced by Orb's work. Around 30 days left to wrap up the environment, gotta pick up the pace!

(I have to look into those square artifact things in the first screenshot)

dd4rv.jpg
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    I think this is shaping up superbly! some more monocromatic (if you want to follow your concept) grass and some trees in there and you're almost done.

Considering the size of the yard in front of it you might want to consider adding gravestones or something like that (I'm imagining this assortment from obelisk to regular).

At any rate, good stuff.
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    Looking great! The only thing that sticks out to me is that the grass could be a tad bit darker in my opinion.

either that or adding some more colour to the bricks to balance the the grass and then use post process to desaturate and tweak the whole env. to your liking.

Can't wait to see more of this!poly120.gif
  • timspanjer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love it! looking forward to seeing more. Reminds me of a project that I havent worked on in a while :)Cathedral WIP.

Keep it coming Huyk!
  • Timbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great, i really like the concept art man i wish i could paint like that.
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timspanjer: Your project makes me realise I cheated by dodging all the complex ornements and all that. But I'll probably end up doing a couple of pieces like that to dress the facade.

Update! I have rendered out a quick skydome in e-on Vue, not too comfortable with the software but it gave me something nice without too much of a hassle. (I mirrored the bottom part, it did not give me a map like this initially)

JYc3u.png

Tweaked the postprocessing, the ground color as suggested and added some grass. More foliage variation is on the way. Then its onto the roof, that I've been delaying incessantly.

Qgoey.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    This looks really awesome, the vignette might be a tad too dark, it's supposed to emulate the camera not getting enough light at the edges I don't think it should go to completely black though. So maybe have a wider vignette but tone the black down :)
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    to be honest the postprocessing made it feel a bit bland.

if you look at the concept you can see that it doesn't feel so tinted.
    the sky on it has a much different hue than ground and those trees with orange leaves added contrast. on your renders sky is purplish which makes it look very stylized and scene has no color variety at all.
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid: I totally see what you mean, and I agree with you. I'll try to bring the elements from the concept you mentioned and stay true to it.

chrisradsby: Yeah, I'll tone down the vignette, its true that its way too black around the edges.

Thanks for the crits!
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I've made some trees, I think I need to make some trees that are more epic huge. Added some fern and germinae(?) for more variaton on ground. (only apparant on bottom screen)

Added some particles for mist/fog to give a bit more texture to the already present height fog. Not sure if I am to keep it. (only on top screen)

Also tested an orange light. At first it looked nice, but after a while it doesnt stick, and doesnt really follow original concept.

As Noodle! mentioned, I plan to make tombstones when I clear the things I need to clear first. Only two and a half weeks left!

As always, crits and comments appreciated!

3avr.png
  • BB-88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good,though I think the vignette is still a bit off. The falloff seems a bit sharp, I would try making it wider as well so it just catches the edges of the screen more than outlining the center. Seems like the trees are shading strangely as well.
    Good work though, keep at it :)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Whoa, love that cathedral :) Nice sense of scale. Also agreed with pushing the vignette back toward the edges a bit, otherwise it's really nice :D
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    Wow! Really nice update, I personally love the fog and I think it's in line with the concept.

I do however think that some of the post processing is a bit heavy, the tree's to the right is pretty badly distorted by the R/G offset and it's hard to read some details.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    The author in the OC basically made everything desaturated in the N-th degree and color crushed everything with Oranges and Blues.

Concepts are quick so there is to consider that.

The plants are orange and are mimicking SSS effect backwards for the plants, notice how they seem to be facing towards the Sun, and the Sun itself is bleached and isn't casing any color other then white.

Fog is also clouding everything behind it, so there is that too, not to mention alot of clouding at the higher peaks of the mountains.

All this adds up to the desaturated look at the end.
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, you are right about the leaves, I have set a value of 0,5 for emissive to not have them be completely shadowed. As for the weird shading, I think it's because I matched the normals of the branch planes to one of a sphere, so the ones on the lower half of the tree are not in the angle to catch the light.

I'll tone down the distortion a bit, I had a feeling it was a bit intrusive, but nobody had commented on it. And the vignette some bit more too.

Ace-Angel, you're pretty spot on with what you say about the concept. I originally painted it in grayscale, then colorised it, a few levels to bring a bit of color and added the touches of orange for contrast. Overall, I think I want to keep the mood of the concept, the deadness of it or whatnot, but I think I can do it without having to resort to crushing the colors as you say.

Thanks again for the comments guys, really helpful!
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update, working on some tombstones!

Deadline for the project coming up very soon, going to have to wrap this up real quick.

15avr.png
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Love the gravestones mate ,could we see wires for them?
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure thing, here they are. The number under each one of them is its respective triangle count.

15avrwire.png
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    looking great! I can't tell if it's the post processing or what, but the clouds look very white and bright (like they're being hit by a lot of sun) but the scene looks quite overcast/dark. So the clouds don't seem to fit. I would go with more cloud cover to give it that moody look (this would suit this type of scene and tends to be more common with European weather). Maybe similar to this?
    DSC_0255-800x300.jpg
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great. D0 you have more little props like those gravestones? Im guessing you're just doing the outside of the cathedral, but i really wish i could see inside, its so nice :D
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Planned as props for outside, I only have gravestones planned. Do you have any ideas/suggestions? There also are some fences but besides that nothing much. Perhaps a big rock? Smaller bushes maybe. It will depend on the time I have to do these things.
  • huyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: added fences and tombstones, tweaked sky brightness (I don't think I'll have time to spare to re-render another sky, not for the deadline at least)

Screens are from UDK but with a bit of cheating (sharpen and downsizing) in photoshop.

There a bunch of things I am not content with yet, like the grass, emptiness of front yard and arrangement of tombstones. I would like to feel the arrangement in rows of the tombstones and all.

I'm not there yet, but I'll try to get as close as possible!

18avr.png
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Cheers mate! I'm just trying to get a better understanding of retopologising my own work ;)
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    this is looking awesome. Maybe the tombstones could be a bit darker. Right now they stand out too much IMO.

cheers.