Home General Discussion

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w852aRuN380[/ame]
Zack tweeted the teaser yesterday.

Ah never thought I'd be so excited for a 20 sec teaser...That cowl looks freaking amazing, he's supposed to be able to turn his head in this one. Loved "Man of Steel" watched it like 6 times lol, it had it's problems but nothing's perfect. Can't wait for this.

Full two min trailer comes out this Monday April 20th i think.

Replies

• ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    We're doing trailers for trailers now?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    ambershee wrote: »

aint no body got time for that.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You ain't got 22 seconds?

Looks cool!
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    Batman sure likes to use a lot of Duct tape for his outfit. Then again, I can only imagine how much in duct tape compositing this film will need after Man of Steel made its mess of impressions.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Its Duck tape. What situation can you not get out of with that stuff?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18

Ever since movie trailer releases have been an event, so 10-15 years at least.
    Matt Fagan wrote: »
    Batman sure likes to use a lot of Duct tape for his outfit. Then again, I can only imagine how much in duct tape compositing this film will need after Man of Steel made its mess of impressions.

sheesh, c'mon guys that's obviously gaffer tape.
  • Count Vertsalot
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few official pics just for fun:P. I think bats will have like 3 different suits for the film, The one from the teaser, another(I'm guessing the pic without the cowl), and the armor from frank millers "dark knight".
    BatmanBatmobileFirstLook_article_story_large.jpg
    batman_article_story_large.jpg

y74HKHY.jpg
    Aquaman-Jason-Momoa-1.png
    lex-luthor.jpg
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    That one Affleck batman pic isn't official.

Anyway, I hope this movie is good. That teaser seemed really pointless. I thought Man of Steel was an OK movie, but a terrible Superman movie, and an even worse intro to a potential DC cinematic universe. Hopefully they get it right with this one, but it's hard to be too optimistic. They sure are spending a lot of money on it, though.
  • Matt Fagan
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I'm okay with the grimdark in this instance of the trailer, though I'd udnerstand why people are off put by it.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to see the proper version of that trailer, but overall this hasn't excited me at all. Also, I don't see how the grimdark superman who basically almost got every in metropolis killed achieved this iconic "godlike" status or whatever they're trying to show. They're jumping forward to things they haven't properly set up.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I assumed the whole "whoops, I knocked over half of Metropolis" was part of the build up for everyone hates Superman.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it makes sense for people to hate him, it makes less sense that they're building statues of him or idolizing him at all. I guess we don't really have enough info to comment too much on the story though.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    I don't know how anybody can get excited when Zak Snyder is behind this. It feels that each new movie by him is worse than his last. I really hated Man of Steel.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I dunno, its understandable for there to be statues of this godlike being, after all, he did save the entire human race/planet from annihilation. would make sense people in metropolis are not to fond of him though. was a little hard to see some of the shots in that trailer of batman, but his costume looks awesome. didnt blow my socks off but I'm sure the movie will be entertaining. I must be one of the few who loved man of steel, gave me shivers at some points.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I thought Man of Steel was good shit. Don't get the hate...
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Mstankow wrote: »
    I don't know how anybody can get excited when Zak Snyder is behind this. It feels that each new movie by him is worse than his last. I really hated Man of Steel.

Same here, zack snyder to me is the epitome of an adult professional frozen in the mindset of a 14 year old.

Also, not feeling Affleck as batman.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    There was a time when Nicholas Cage felt it was his turn to be a super hero... so he used all his weight to get the role of Super Man. Thankfully that didnt go through in the end, but with enough wrangling and connections even poorly picked actors can get roles they shouldnt have. Anyways he settled for a different role as Ghost Rider.

Ben Affleck as Batman reeks of the same thing, only he got his way.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    So anybody cares to tell me, what it is all about ?
    Coz this trailer of trailer, doesn't really helps..
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know, I don't get the Affleck hate either. He's got the chin for it, certainly.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm fine with Affleck. My problem is the director.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And Cage had his shot with Ghost Rider. Back of the line!
  • Count Vertsalot
    I liked Man of Steel a lot. I just think Warner Bros. is trying too hard to compete with Marvel/Disney because of the Avengers popularity. They should have took their time with developing a storyline instead of mashing all the heroes together so quickly.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I liked Man of Steel a lot. I just think Warner Bros. is trying too hard to compete with Marvel/Disney because of the Avengers popularity. They should have took their time with developing a storyline instead of mashing all the heroes together so quickly.

To be fair. That was their plan originally with Green Latern but then Green Latern was released.
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    Looks like gritty with a side order of grit as usual
    It's fun to look at how Marvel does things compared to DC, there's a lot of humour in DC's comics to counterbalance the dark but they barely use any humour in the movies oddly, unlike Marvel
    Same thing with the supernatural/magic/outlandish sci-fi elements, i.e. Ra's al Ghul isn't immortal and Bane is just a dude with a mask instead of a chemically altered superhuman. Makes you wonder how they're going to handle stuff like Atlantis
    Why are bats and supes angry at each other in the first place anyway? Affleck's processed bat-voice is interesting, sounds way less cheesy than Bale's already
    That line at the end though... ugh
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I suspect it will be Batman identifying Superman as a threat, and not trusting anything he says. He'll do the typical Batman thing, of playing nice, but remaining suspicious of Superman's motives. Together, they'll work to stop Lex Luthor, and then they will gain mutual respect for each other.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And the official HD arrives. Omg i love everything about batman in this. Really hope they show off his combat skills(not like those other films).
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwfUnkBfdZ4[/ame]
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like gritty with a side order of grit as usual
    It's fun to look at how Marvel does things compared to DC, there's a lot of humour in DC's comics to counterbalance the dark but they barely use any humour in the movies oddly, unlike Marvel
    Same thing with the supernatural/magic/outlandish sci-fi elements, i.e. Ra's al Ghul isn't immortal and Bane is just a dude with a mask instead of a chemically altered superhuman. Makes you wonder how they're going to handle stuff like Atlantis
    Why are bats and supes angry at each other in the first place anyway? Affleck's processed bat-voice is interesting, sounds way less cheesy than Bale's already
    That line at the end though... ugh

the nolan movies used humour more than people remember, pretty much every time bruce was with alfred or lucius, there's a joke. man of steel missed that and i blame goyer, he's better at the overall story than writing characters. but they've got terrio now and argo was good so i'm hopeful
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Couple of posters revealed:
    CC_lAchUMAAWaHc.jpg
    CC_lKuRVAAALgMM.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    And Cage had his shot with Ghost Rider. Back of the line!
    Cage as Superman would at least have been fun, which is more than can be said for either of the previous Supermans.

This looks like another dreary dirge. I think I'll go back to waiting for a Batman 66 movie.
  • ArtisticTiger
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I dunno. I should be super excited about this film, but there hasn't been anything that grabs me yet, and I'm a huge Superman and Batman fan..
  • littleclaude
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Trying not to be cynical about this...I hope it's good...there were parts of man of steel that I really liked.
    8392bef05f7fbff09c88cd4ec529377a.gif
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But Batman is still dead so ... at best, a tie and he entered the fight knowing he would be killed. Meh.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    :)
    4190547-3085898-9536688289-super.jpg

Lol, where the hell is that from?

I prefer this punching pic :D
    superman_vs_batman.jpg
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HOWEVER ... if Superman can move at lightning speeds, then how is he even there when the ktyptonite fist is thrown? BAH I SAY! BAH!!

Although it IS a nice touch that they're fighting in a generic sci-fi corridor. Well played.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Lol, where the hell is that from?

I prefer this punching pic :D
    superman_vs_batman.jpg

You seem to have missed out some pretty important context that image.

4144805-4103234-6968018630-comic.jpg

Straight from the words of Batman himself: "If Clark wanted to". And that's basically the entire argument over and done with. IF superman wanted batman dead, he'd be dead, and there is nothing anybody in the universe could do to stop it. In fact it's happened in other DC universes:

Let me tell you a little story of how one version of Superman didn't turn out like the rest, and went so berserk that he PUNCHED A WHOLE INTO ANOTHER UNIVERSE, and then proceeded to annihilate ALL of the heroes in that universe...

first he destroys Justice League HQ:
    JLAkill2.jpg

then he destroys Atlantis
    killantlan.jpg

then he kills zod (who's this universes version of Superman)
    Countdown24_pg04.jpg

then he kills Wonder Woman, and Batman. And then destroys the planet and moves on to the next universe.
    tumblr_naokm6v4xH1s19qjgo4_1280.jpg
    Fire_and_Ice_by_ColorDojo.jpg

Even if you put that to one side... (which by the way... is kinda funny since batman is supposed to have a plan for everything and that should really include the above). Most people argue that Batman is smarter than Superman, but in reality he isn't. Superman can move at almost the speed of light, which means he needs to be able to think/calculate fast enough to be able to deal with all of what's going on around him when he moves that fast, otherwise he'd be flying through just about everything along the way. Similar to the Flash (who's also incredibly intelligent, he just likes to goof around), Superman has the brains to back up the brawn. Why doesn't he use it? because most of the time he doesn't need to.

That's basically his biggest character flaw, people perceive him to be dumb, because he's "a bruiser". But remember he can see the molecular makeup of living organisms and understand them instantly, he can tell when a person is sick and exactly what illness it is, and even give a prognosis of their life expectancy.

More than that, the only reason people place Batman above him in intelligence, is because if they didn't, Batman would have "nothing". And that wouldn't be fair.

Superman is a god-tier character, it's really that simple. Batman is a cool character, i've always enjoyed reading his graphic novels. But in a world where a human is fighting someone who can't be injured (except in the presence of kryptonite, and even that has a greatly reduced effect in the comics now), who can not only move through you before you could even blink but also see and recognise everything that's happening INSTANTLY due to superfast thought processes... I'm sorry but Batman just can't win, unless Superman wants to lose. And Superman almost never wants to beat his friends.

this is legit what would happen between Superman and Batman.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkFzXkpjXmM[/ame]
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18

I did not care for Man of Steel. But I agree with just about every other point you are making. Rushing into a Justice-League scenario without earning it first isn't going to be doing anyone any favors. It won't be good for Warner Bros, the DC film universe, or comic-book movies in general. We really need to get a more well-received Superman film first, as well as a solid Wonder-Woman outing. Ideally, a decent Green-Lantern film would be choice.

At the moment, all we have is a completely unrelated Batman series. And our lead-in to the Justice League is a Batman-centric film with Superman and Wonder-Woman as guest stars, and a Batman-gritty brooding atmosphere. Different comics have different styles, and need to be addressed differently. This is one of the things Marvel has done right. Iron Man is self-deprecating and introspective, Thor is bombastic theatricality, Captain America is hopeful and earnest, and Guardians of the Galaxy is wacky and humorous. They decided on the tone of each movie based on the story and characters, and leaned into it. And the tone is different for each series.

The Avengers was the big pay-off ensemble piece where all the different tones showed up in the person of their characters, and got to play off of each other. I can already tell you what Batman v. Superman is going to be. It's going to be dour angst squared. Its a dark, gritty, brooding Batman showing up alongside a dark, gritty, brooding Superman and at some point a dark, gritty, brooding Wonder Woman will show up to growl at them.

While Zack Snyder has some impressive visual chops, I have no faith in his ability to tell a compelling story. If you want to get a good film out of him, you need someone else to draw and write a decent comic book for him to follow first.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    The problem with what you're suggesting gir, is that Superman is horrifyingly inconsistent with regard to his actual abilities across different storylines (some versions can't even fly). You can only go on what you've been shown in Man of Steel. There's no flying at the speed of light, and there's no indication that Superman is particularly smart.

(also, be careful not to equate thinking quickly with intelligence - you may be able to perceive and react to things fast enough to travel at ridiculous speeds, but that doesn't mean you're actually capable of solving complex problems).
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Yeah i understand that Ambershee. I was just irked by an out of context image.

Anyway, from all indications this film is going to be "The Dark Knight Returns". And the plot is going to be extremely predictable as a result.

Not that i'm complaining, that's probably my favorite Batman graphic novel.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "The Dark Knight Returns" seems like an odd place for them to start their franchise.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Jackablade wrote: »
    "The Dark Knight Returns" seems like an odd place for them to start their franchise.

Especially since they don't even seem to know each other in this version. That's like the whole point of the graphic novel: two friends at odds.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    They're doing reverse dark knight returns I think. As in, superman is the scary alien bad guy that must be stopped. And batman is just the person to stop him.
  • Mary_Marinez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just read a news piece which said that fans in Houston lined up for more than four hours to see the new 5-minute movie trailer from the upcoming 2016 film! And I thought people only lined up for hours to buy gadgets like the iPhone!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    The problem with what you're suggesting gir, is that Superman is horrifyingly inconsistent with regard to his actual abilities across different storylines (some versions can't even fly). You can only go on what you've been shown in Man of Steel. There's no flying at the speed of light.

Just wanted to quickly come back to this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkK7_FsJE7Q[/ame]

particularly at 15 seconds in. a kryptonian who hasn't fully adapted to earths sun, butt-raping US soldiers (yes, i know they're not batman) moving faster than they can follow.

more importantly, since we're limiting the conversation to feats that are only seen in this one movie - Superman can at the very least travel at the speed of sound, and hit hard enough to buckle steel girders. speed of sound being 340m/s, which is faster than the blink of an eye (again, Faora proves this is possible for a Kryptonian new to earth let alone Superman).

all i'm really wondering is which deus ex machina they'll use to humanize Superman this time. if they're smart, the fight will end very quickly with Batman getting his arse handed to him and superman proving he's not the bad guy by letting him live/convincing Bruce Wayne that he's good. it may be wishful thinking on my part, but i'm really hoping they go with the angle that Superman really is an unstoppable force for good who's choosing not to kill because he's good, choosing to be good because it's right, and knows the value of "losing" now and then.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    but i'm really hoping they go with the angle that Superman really is an unstoppable force for good who's choosing not to kill because he's good, choosing to be good because it's right, and knows the value of "losing" now and then.

Wow. I'm sorry Gir, but you are reeealllyyy going to be disappointed by this movie. If Man of Steel was anything to go by, it's going to be moral ambiguity from title sequence to credits. Just like the color palette, I would expect everything to be grey.