Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    zicoV wrote: »
    Am I the only one who cant get into the game at the moment ?

Whenever I try to open dota it just gets stuck saying "Connecting to the Dota 2 network..."

Edit: nvm just had to restart steam -.-

Yeah, it happens from time to time.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    ok guys, i think there is some missing informations here

when you extract the files with gfscape you extracted that version of files

but the games sometimes get update, on the test is usually at tuesdays and the beta on wednesdays

sometimes that updates changes a lot of things like the one for the helloween, so if you dont re-extract the files again and rename the vpk again after the update the game could crash in some ways, like missing textures or buttons directing to wrong actions

the things that !nz said about decompiling the beta over the test could be a good choice because the test client is not the same as the beta client, some discrepances could appear

the extracting process on gcfscape dont need to be done each folder, you can do the entire folder list at once
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to easily set lod1 and lod0 on the same rig? Like, how to edit the mesh and not destroy the rig. I've tried looking for help on this and haven't had much luck.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maya or max?

i know a way on maya

make your lod1 and bind to the same bones as the lod 0

select lod0 then lod1 and go to animation -> skin/edit smooth skin/ copy skin weights

i use the option closest point on surface and for influence 1 closest joint
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    maya or max?
    i know a way on maya
    make your lod1 and bind to the same bones as the lod 0
    select lod0 then lod1 and go to animation -> skin/edit smooth skin/ copy skin weights
    i use the option closest point on surface and for influence 1 closest joint

That sounds easy! I'm rigging in max though D:
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sounds easy! I'm rigging in max though D:

its not perfect and need some tweaks after, but its easy, i hope max have the same feature
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to easily set lod1 and lod0 on the same rig? Like, how to edit the mesh and not destroy the rig. I've tried looking for help on this and haven't had much luck.
    I'm not sure if I understood correctly. You have a rigged lod0 and want to turn it into a lod1 without losing the rig?

There's a modifier that you can use for that called Skin Wrap.
    Make sure your lod1 doesn't have a Skin modifier and add a Skin Wrap. Go to its parameters, click add and then click your lod0 in the viewport. Afterwards go to the bottom of the parameters and click Convert to Skin, this will copy the rig from the lod0 into the lod1.

I just recently found this method and don't know if it's the best one, but it works.
  • RKotern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone!

I'm making weapon item for Beastmaster. I finished low poly model then mirrored (you know what i mean). After that I made high poly in ZBrush and baked normal map. The problem is that around the edges which are connecting mirrored model normal map looks very odd.

Pictures:
    weird.png
    aa1.png
    aa2.png

I don't know how to fix this. Any ideas?
  • lancemaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rkotern, try this :
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154

also try twiking your cage. if nothing helps manually, paint your normal maps.
  • Foreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foreal polycounter lvl 4
    Ok guys. I'm getting a steam erro come up when I try submitting my items. Which is scaring the shit out of me right now.
    Everything works fine up until i hit the submit button. I've followed everything to the letter twice, so there is no reason that i can think of why this is happening. Please help. If anyone can think of why this is happening, please let me know asap. Screenshots below will hopefully explain. Cheers for any hints on what i might be missing.

88902611.jpg
    *I know the polycount count box isn't ticked - but same error ticked or unticked....
  • Foreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foreal polycounter lvl 4
    god i hope i can make this work in the next 24hrs
  • RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foreal wrote: »
    god i hope i can make this work in the next 24hrs

Restart your PC and launch Dota 2 ,import using a different name. it worked for me when i got the same error
  • Foreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foreal polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks RaYfire. But it's not quite that. I fugured it out after a bit of reading. U need to take all but one "_" out of the filenames. At least that worked for me. This forum is a life saver. There are so many very helpful people.

72610140.jpg
  • RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks RaYfire. But it's not quite that. I fugured it out after a bit of reading. U need to take all but one "_" out of the filenames. At least that worked for me. This forum is a life saver. There are so many very helpful people.

72610140.jpg

NP, do link to your item.
  • Foreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foreal polycounter lvl 4
    nope I've still got problems. I can't figure this out....2 models submitted fine - the other 2 not submitting. I tried buying something from Steam - didn't work. I looked a the R & G channels in mask 1, all good there. The names are no different in format. Any ideas.
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steam is probably just down
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    Got a strange issue with skeleton king. I have a piece of armor on his head that fits around his jaw. its a separate object and is completely skinned to his Jaw_M bone. However in game on his portrait when SK talks and his mouth flaps open the armor piece stays stationary and doesnt follow... any ideas how to resolve ?
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    They might have done the moth flapping with blendshapes ? :<
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    nope I've still got problems. I can't figure this out....2 models submitted fine - the other 2 not submitting. I tried buying something from Steam - didn't work. I looked a the R & G channels in mask 1, all good there. The names are no different in format. Any ideas.

When your importing don't put any spaces in title, maybe thats y?
  • deolol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deolol polycounter lvl 6
    Hi guys i really need some help. I keep getting this error "Couldn't find any bones in the wearble that correspond to bones in the hero model"

I follow exact process, skin to joint, export only mesh as fbx 2009, but its still this goddamn error. any assistance is appreciated
  • JayShadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick question for a DotA creating noob. Is the portrait the absolute only place LoD0 is used for? I might need some extra detail in some places for the portrait view and was thinking of stealing some detail out of the back corner of the head that doesn't get seen during the head turns.
  • Foreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foreal polycounter lvl 4
    Hi guys i really need some help. I keep getting this error "Couldn't find any bones in the wearble that correspond to bones in the hero model"

I follow exact process, skin to joint, export only mesh as fbx 2009, but its still this goddamn error. any assistance is appreciated

Export the mesh with the bones as well as an FBX, then reimport the FBX and export everything as an SMD.
  • Foreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foreal polycounter lvl 4
    regarding the steam error message that often pops up when submitting items (sometimes for no apperent reason). I found that after cleaning out the folders where the files recompile (both models and materials) I was able to submit my files easier. Don't know why. But there were a lot of folders of compiled tests I had done along the way. Everytime you go to the DOTA model viewer it creates a recompile folder here. I think it may have confused or slowed steam down enough to casue issues. Who knows. But if ur having issues try this. Hope it helps.
    22538676.jpg
    NP, do link to your item.

here u go RayFire.
    WIP: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showt...67#post1725867
    WORKSHOP: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=111322803
  • AndrewHelenek
  • RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Foreal Nice job.Rated
    @AndrewHelenek simple and the best courier.btw can you add custom sounds?
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First of all, great work everyone with the submissions for the contest! Browsed through the finished entries today and was blown away by all the awesomeness in there.

Anyway, i was thinking i should change my pipeline and would like know what the people here are using, to get better results. Judging by this thread a lot of you have this: (and please correct me if i am wrong)

1. Make a rough lowpoly with basic form.
    2. Import to Zbrush and make the high poly.
    3. Export low and high from zbrush.
    4. Import the low to your standard 3D application and UVmap it.
    5. Bake.

Is this correct?

I have been using this:

1. Make low poly and UV map.
    2. Import to Zbrush and make the highpoly.
    3. Export the high poly (after decemation)
    4. Import to maya and bake.

This is not giving me the results i want so i want to try the one that i think i know you are using. Also in Zbrush, does anyone use Dynamesh or do you just subdivide?

Would be awesome if anyone would share some information about this :)
  • lancemaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paskie wrote: »
    First of all, great work everyone with the submissions for the contest! Browsed through the finished entries today and was blown away by all the awesomeness in there.

Anyway, i was thinking i should change my pipeline and would like know what the people here are using, to get better results. Judging by this thread a lot of you have this: (and please correct me if i am wrong)

1. Make a rough lowpoly with basic form.
    2. Import to Zbrush and make the high poly.
    3. Export low and high from zbrush.
    4. Import the low to your standard 3D application and UVmap it.
    5. Bake.

Is this correct?

I have been using this:

1. Make low poly and UV map.
    2. Import to Zbrush and make the highpoly.
    3. Export the high poly (after decemation)
    4. Import to maya and bake.

This is not giving me the results i want so i want to try the one that i think i know you are using. Also in Zbrush, does anyone use Dynamesh or do you just subdivide?

Would awesome if anyone would share some information about this :)

i never uv before sculpting. Sometimes u get a lil wild on zbrush, and u loose the first low poly, then i use topogun to remesh. Thats the only difference. I learned something on this conquest too, sometimes u dont know what needs more uv space before u sculpt some stuff, so again i think it is better to uv later.
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Dynamesh is pretty amazing and is a great tool to use, but it has it's limitations. I tend to use it only after sculpting odd shapes that cause my quads to stretch out and deform, pulling spikes or horns off a flat plane for instance, so I can return to nice, even quads for better resolution. Dynamesh will not work very well on thin surfaces (i.e. cloth) though, so make sure your models all have some degree of thickness to them before using dynamesh, otherwise you're liable to wind up with holes in your mesh and they are not easy to fix.

Also just to share; a typical zBrush workflow for me follows as such:
    • Build base mesh(es) inside of Max - Use even quads across all meshes.
    • SubD once or twice without smooth on to build up some support
    • Sculpt, starting with the largest forms and working up towards the smallest details, while raising the division level and smoothing as needed. Use dynamesh if appropriate.
    • Decimate the high-poly down to something manageable in Max and build a new low-poly using the sculpt as a guide and the base meshes for a quick start.
    • Unwrap the low, bake the high, texture the object. Repeat.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Well the contest is over, but I'm slowly trying to finish my last Entry.
    But first I've played a lot more dota 2 :p Really enjoyed playing Zeus, but the model itself looks really pethetic, and more like an gnome than a God. So I've played around with the model, maybe Il work it out and finish it and post it on the workshop so Valve takes a look at it :p

I know he's not in the workshop and probably never going to be because of how they build the character none teh less here's a concept: :)

C8T7f.jpg
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    Well the contest is over, but I'm slowly trying to finish my last Entry.
    But first I've played a lot more dota 2 :p Really enjoyed playing Zeus, but the model itself looks really pethetic, and more like an gnome than a God. So I've played around with the model, maybe Il work it out and finish it and post it on the workshop so Valve takes a look at it :p

I know he's not in the workshop and probably never going to be because of how they build the character none teh less here's a concept: :)

Dude, your items need to keep the color scheme. It's like you made a completely new character with that instead of adding or replacing stuff in the original.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon wrote: »
    Dude, your items need to keep the color scheme. It's like you made a completely new character with that instead of adding or replacing stuff in the original.

Dude why don''t you read?

First of you don't need to keep the color sheme? And yes you are suppose to change items but Zeus doesn't have item slots, that's why he's not in the Workshop, or not yet.

So that's why I almost changed the entire character. Maybe you open the character model first before pointing out those things, because the standard model is just a single mesh.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark.N wrote: »
    Dynamesh is pretty amazing and is a great tool to use, but it has it's limitations. I tend to use it only after sculpting odd shapes that cause my quads to stretch out and deform, pulling spikes or horns off a flat plane for instance, so I can return to nice, even quads for better resolution. Dynamesh will not work very well on thin surfaces (i.e. cloth) though, so make sure your models all have some degree of thickness to them before using dynamesh, otherwise you're liable to wind up with holes in your mesh and they are not easy to fix.

Also just to share; a typical zBrush workflow for me follows as such:
    • Build base mesh(es) inside of Max - Use even quads across all meshes.
    • SubD once or twice without smooth on to build up some support
    • Sculpt, starting with the largest forms and working up towards the smallest details, while raising the division level and smoothing as needed. Use dynamesh if appropriate.
    • Decimate the high-poly down to something manageable in Max and build a new low-poly using the sculpt as a guide and the base meshes for a quick start.
    • Unwrap the low, bake the high, texture the object. Repeat.

Thx for this! Very helpful. It seems like a better approach. Going to try this on my next set. :)
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12

First of you don't need to keep the color sheme? And yes you are suppose to change items but Zeus doesn't have item slots, that's why he's not in the Workshop, or not yet.

So that's why I almost changed the entire character. Maybe you open the character model first before pointing out those things, because the standard model is just a single mesh.

While you can play around with the initial colour palette from the characters you should be pretty careful about straying too far from their original style. Zeus in game is a very cool toned and blue heavy character.

I have to be honest and say that quickly scrolling through this page I initially thought your picture to be a Lone Druid item set.
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I did read everything that you said and it doesn't invalidate anything that I said.

Yes, you have to keep the color scheme, variations are allowed but you can't deviate too far as the character has to be readable from a distance. You can add other colors as long as the base colors are dominant.
    Zeus base colors are blue and white (with no yellow whatsoever).
    You removed almost all of the blue and made yellow, an almost opposite color, dominant. This goes against everything Valve tells us about new item colors.

The standard model is a single mesh, yes. You can still add items by splitting it yourself.
    You want to create new bracers? Remove the already made ones and create your own while checking if they fit the already made character.
    That's how everybody did it before Valve started splitting models and added the in-game tool. That's how everybody still does it for TF2 (I think).
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats to everyone that survived the contest, i loved to see those great works and i learned a lot! =]

great work on the chicken Helenek, i want to be on the share on the chicken too!. Just joking

great work man =]
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14

I import the base DOTA2 model into zbrush.

I make a cube in max or maya and sub div it once so its roundish.

I import that into zbrush and then mould that cube into the shape I want.

10 hours later = blockout done. ( see pic below of what my blockouts look like)

Then I retopo parts that need cleaner detail and cleanup the rest of the blockout to make my highpoly.

I then retopo my highpoly

I uv my retopoed mesh and then bake my maps from my highpoly.

Also grats to all who have finished the comp :D So much fun and so many wicked sick entries ;)

Working on a new item set in my spare time. This time its a divine Lina :D
    Final blockout done! Now too clean it up (ugh)
    basicblockout_final.jpg
  • Hunter-Killer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter-Killer polycounter lvl 4
    Hello all! Now that we can rest after the Dota 2 contest I went back to something I'd left lingering.

Few ideas left over from the previous Tinker Bot courier (still need to animate that!) so cobbled them together to make a Clockwerk variation.
    While on the ground the courier will roll along the big central wheel then for flying there are a set of wings strapped to the back with a rockets attached either side.

Just finished the initial bake, got a fair bit of tweaking to do before moving onto the texturing which, as expected, will follow Clockwerks theme.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and thanks for taking the time to view!

clockwerk_bot_concept.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and thanks for taking the time to view!

Wow looks nice nothing really to say can't wait to see more of It. :):thumbup:
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I import the base DOTA2 model into zbrush.

I make a cube in max or maya and sub div it once so its roundish.

I import that into zbrush and then mould that cube into the shape I want.

10 hours later = blockout done. ( see pic below of what my blockouts look like)

Then I retopo parts that need cleaner detail and cleanup the rest of the blockout to make my highpoly.

I then retopo my highpoly

I uv my retopoed mesh and then bake my maps from my highpoly.

Also grats to all who have finished the comp :D So much fun and so many wicked sick entries ;)

Working on a new item set in my spare time. This time its a divine Lina :D
    Final blockout done! Now too clean it up (ugh)
    basicblockout_final.jpg

Thx! So you basically do everything in Zbrush? Interesting! I'll give that one a go as well. Lina looking good! :thumbup:
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon wrote: »
    I did read everything that you said and it doesn't invalidate anything that I said.

Yes, you have to keep the color scheme, variations are allowed but you can't deviate too far as the character has to be readable from a distance. You can add other colors as long as the base colors are dominant.
    Zeus base colors are blue and white (with no yellow whatsoever).
    You removed almost all of the blue and made yellow, an almost opposite color, dominant. This goes against everything Valve tells us about new item colors.

The standard model is a single mesh, yes. You can still add items by splitting it yourself.
    You want to create new bracers? Remove the already made ones and create your own while checking if they fit the already made character.
    That's how everybody did it before Valve started splitting models and added the in-game tool. That's how everybody still does it for TF2 (I think).

I know all the guidelines from Valve, but what don't you understand about I don't like what Valve did with the character? Offcourse the Character looks a lot different then the orginal, it's suppose to be.. (because I don't like their take on Zeus)

How do you think I've made the model as it looks now? I've split up all the parts I wanted to change and made new Items. I've used the feet, belt, face, arms, hand, torso and the bottom cloth from the original. Even the dimensions are exactly the same. So the things I've changed are just the hair, arm braces, legs, the chest armor and the cloak.

Here's the concept btw:

Qlrjr.jpg
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    I know all the guidelines from Valve, but what don't you understand about I don't like what Valve did with the character? Offcourse the Character looks a lot different then the orginal, it's suppose to be.. (because I don't like their take on Zeus)

Then you do understand that your set would never be accepted into Dota2,no matter how awesome u get it polished?
    So,you can do that only for fun,pimping zeus just because you've got a free time to do it.You can't earn anything on it.

Dota comunity is a strict one.
    I beleive you're not a Dota player,at least not for a long time,or else you would know that :)
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do you think I've made the model as it looks now? I've split up all the parts I wanted to change and made new Items. I've used the feet, belt, face, arms, hand, torso and the bottom cloth from the original. Even the dimensions are exactly the same. So the things I've changed are just the hair, arm braces, legs, the chest armor and the cloak.
    My bad. I thought that you made the entire model from scratch.
    My answer to the rest of the post is this:
    4evra wrote: »
    Then you do understand that your set would never be accepted into Dota2,no matter how awesome u get it polished?
    So,you can do that only for fun,pimping zeus just because you've got a free time to do it.You can't earn anything on it.

I beleive you're not a Dota player,at least not for a long time,or else you would know that :)
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra wrote: »

Offcourse I understand that, I started with the model just for fun. To show what I would like Zeus to look like when playing the game. :)

And not a gnome with pointy ears and weird cloths, not really godlike in my opinion. Also the current dota 2 model doesn't look anything like the dota 1 version. Nobody needs to share my opinion and I know how strict Valve and Dota players are, but that doesn't mean I can't share my opinion. For now Zeus won't make it to the workshop anyhow so this will probably be lost time anyway. But Il see where it brings me :)
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    Well then,i support your work too.
    If u stated that in first post,there wouldn't be any of this needless discussion :)
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all! Now that we can rest after the Dota 2 contest I went back to something I'd left lingering.

Few ideas left over from the previous Tinker Bot courier (still need to animate that!) so cobbled them together to make a Clockwerk variation.
    While on the ground the courier will roll along the big central wheel then for flying there are a set of wings strapped to the back with a rockets attached either side.

Just finished the initial bake, got a fair bit of tweaking to do before moving onto the texturing which, as expected, will follow Clockwerks theme.

much better now =] looking forward for this

any question about couriers you can add me on steam
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    @hunter,i would suggest that u stray off the clocks theme a bit,it might end up too similar to Clockwerk and cause a confusion.
    Do some unique style on him,so its instantly distinguishable from clock the hero :)
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Hey, just out of curiousity, has anyone that has an item in the workshop been paid for it yet?

I had an item that went up in the store about 2 months ago, part of the early october batch, and there's been no contact at all from valve. I thought I read in the terms that they'd send checks on the 30th of the month after the month it went on sale, maybe I misread?
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Hey, just out of curiousity, has anyone that has an item in the workshop been paid for it yet?

I had an item that went up in the store about 2 months ago, part of the early october batch, and there's been no contact at all from valve. I thought I read in the terms that they'd send checks on the 30th of the month after the month it went on sale, maybe I misread?

I've gotten paid each month since august, when my first item legions wrath got implemented. I know my friend who did the Lyralei's Breeze was having issues with it, if you were part of that windrunner patch I'd email Valve (financevalve@valvesoftware.com).

Also, in other news!
    NAVI COURIER!
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14

Same deal here mate, likely the same or similar batch too. I'm international and was just going with the presumption that the international transfer takes a while or perhaps a holdup until my W-7 lands. Pretty curious to see what some of the numbers are though :poly122:

AndrewHelenek - awesome couriers!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helenek discovered that they add yesterday on the test client some icons for the store and my dragons is one of them
    wrFUv.png?1

with the na´vi courier and the defense 3 courier

the dragon is on the main client for a month, its like 4 or 5 months that i did it, i cant wait anymore!!! =]