Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Combat Knife

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
So I've been wanting to do a weapon for a while and finally sat down and started the other day. The reference i chose was a Pacific 6 S30V Blade Combat Knife. I started working on the HP and ran into a snag here and there but thanks to some help i'm moving forward. The blade is just about done and the rest is going to be modeled separately and assembled for the HP. The metal part of the handle is giving me some trouble due to the ridges but nothing huge.

pacificall.jpg

knife_04.jpg

c & c welcome :)

Thanks

Replies

• killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    great start ben, keep a close eye on the reference, pay attention to those edges. throw a meshsmooth, turbosmooth, nurbs, whatever, on there right now and start getting it to look right with one on there. be sure to check out the "how u model dem shapes?" thread if you haven't already.

match the thickness and sharpness of the edges in the ref, best you can, and try not to rely on smoothing groups to define edges, you can get the same effect without and you should get better normal maps as a result. looking forward to seeing you deliver, hit me up online if you get anymore snags.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    good start... not much to crit on at this time aside from what KP has said.

the serrated edges are looking super clean and accurate though, keep it up- moar!!
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie polycounter lvl 17
    My knife, its sharp and chrome
    Come see inside my bones...

It's a very sharp start sir. Let's try and get this one finished, eh?
  • CiscoJavier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    where is that wireFraaaame?
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good start. The blade and the handle probably shouldn't be the same thickness right?
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for taking a look guys. :) Below is an updated blade which has a couple errors that i'm going to try to iron out tonight... sometimes there just aren't enough hours in the day. le sigh. Anywho, more to come later.

@ dolemite - Thanks, the metal from the blade actually continues down through the knife into the handle and comes out a bit past the grip part of the handle. This is just the high poly of it so i'm going to build the knife / grip / hardware / rope separate and assemble it before i start on the low.

@ CiscoJavier - this part i'm working on right now is the high poly and the wires are pretty messy... but here it is.
    http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/220214/Combat%20Knife/Renders/knife_07.5.jpg
    i'm going to make a pass or two through the mesh and try to clean things up a bit before the bake.

@ d00kie - GO GET YOUR KNIIIIFE, GO GET YOUR KNIIIIIFE! I will do my best to see this one through sir.

@ Pope Adam - Thanks broooo. :)

@ killingpeople - <3

knife_07.jpg
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So aparently i've been going about this the wrong way from square 1... I'm finally getting back on track after looking through some sub-d tutorials and some very helpful insight.

Special thanks to kp for showing me the light. will post an update within the next couple hours.

Thanks!
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Removed smoothing groups and started defining edges. Still working out some kinks but i think i'm on the right path now.

knife_11.jpg
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    It looks from the reference that the raggedy part of the handle that your fingers wrap around, you know the part that's got those indents to fit the grooves of your fingers (don't mess with my 1337 weapons knowledge) could use more beveling. And also the handle looks to be about 3x as thick as the blade but your model currently has it the same thickness.

It just hit me that maybe you're doing the other parts of the handle separately instead of just making it one connected mesh. Hmmm ... now i dunno ... anyway carry on :)
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Looks like a great start, looks really clean so far!

I would like to say sorry collectively for the PC community because people rather just look at pictures and not read in regards to how you are approaching the handle and how the metal runs through it! :poly142:
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    consider sharing a few close-ups next round, like you had shown me, without the mesh smooth, so you can get better feedback from the community and share how you've went about constructing some parts. i'm sure a few are slightly curious as to how you've went about making the tip and serrated edge. looking good, keep it up.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pay attention to those edges...

contacts.jpg

crit_00.jpg
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been spending some time refining a couple areas bit by bit, here is a couple screens of the retouched serrated edge. There is still a couple areas that are having some random errors which i'm trying to hammer out w/ trial and error. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. :)

knife_12.jpg

knife_12.1.jpg

knife_12.2.jpg

Thanks!
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i've been spending some time cleaning things up and have run into a bit of a snag. I've tried a bunch of different solutions and i seem to be getting the same problem. Where 3 edges meet there is some weird shading that occurs when meshsmooth is on.

Here is a pic of the problem and some wires of the base / smoothed model. The error is kinda subtle but it bugs the hell out of me... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

WTF_03.jpg

thanks!
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1st attempt at the grip.

knife_15.jpg
  • RodrigoB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The grip looks great, no crits on that at all. About those edges, have you tried welding them together? That's the only solution I can think of, but I'm probably wron since I'm new to sub-d ^^
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks RodrigoB. :)

Welding the edges together will kill the sharpness of the edge. I think i might have fixed it by teeny tiny adjustments. Hopefully i can play around with the grip a little more then start the low poly.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still tweaking things around a little but i think i'm about ready to start the low poly. Any suggestions / crits would be greatly appreciated.

knife_18.jpg

Thanks.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    cool knife u picked

i think the grip should be thicker with more defined corners/shape

kinda looks flat

can u post a pic from the bottom and top of the grip?
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input Lonewolf, your reference really helped me out. I hadn't even noticed that that butt of the knife had an edge... all of the photos i have showed a rope that covered that part so i guess i assumed it was rounded. I made a few changes but still have some work to do to get things right. Thanks again :)

knife_20.jpg
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    your missing the three indentations on the handle
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Lonewolf :)

I'm actually working on the three indentations right now, was going to use floating geometry for the bake.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres a little update...

I decided to scratch the floating geometry and just add the indentation to the mesh which is slowly getting where i want it.

Thoughts?

knife_21.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wires? some of your shapes look a little messy there
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think it's shaping up and is coming together, but the surfaces of the handle aren't very smooth and the edges make the shape look blobby. the 3 groves look a little too deep, and again a little too soft edged, and the tips of the shape seems a little too pinched than in the concept. a few more tweaks now and you should be looking great.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharpened the edges of the notches a bit and made them a little more shallow. Gonna call it a night for now but tomorrow i'll work some more on the grip itself and try to smooth out any shapes that aren't quite right. Please highlight any areas that need more attention, I really appreciate the input.

knife_21.2.jpg
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed a couple obvious errors that i didn't notice til i moved the light around and got rid of a couple tris. Gonna start working on the LP here pretty soon. :poly003:

knife_22.jpg
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a quick test on the low poly, i'm @ 3176 tris right now but i can still cut out a few. I'm going to add a few more cuts to the middle finger area tomorrow to try and smooth it out a bit. there are a few errors that i can see but i hope its from my 15 second unwrap... got a little anxious to see what it would look like on the low. 3000 seems like a lot for a knife but i wanted to ask the pc community about that.

Thanks!

low w/ ao + nm
    knife_23.1.jpg
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cut the tris down to 2344 and cleaned up the unwrap... still having a couple errors but less than before.

knife_24.jpg

knife_24.1.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    make sure that you flip the green channel if you baked normals in max

Also, your tri count seems very high, there are a lot of areas that seam really excessive(all the groves modeled in, with multiple edges per grove). And it seems like you've go so much geometry that it is hurting your bakes in some cases. Are the side "panels" of the knife separate meshes in the low poly? This really should be all one solid chunk.

You need to think about how this asset would actually be viewed, looking at your wires one would think you plan on showcasing this asset, still, at like 1980x1200 resolution. When in reality, this sort of asset would A. be in motion almost constantly and B. be a fairly small object in a first person view, and microscopic object in the world. I think you could honestly remove near every other edge loop on the mesh(the larger shapes should stay the same, more or less, just remove all these teeny-tiny edge loops), and still have the same effect(i wouldn't have even modeled in the serrations on the handle or the blade, or if i did it would be very simple, like 3 edges(one pulled in) to suggest some depth, but you've got 8, 12, more in some places? The edges you have in that wires screenshots are barely representing 2 pixels. =)

Overall polygon density is something you need to work on as well, one of the biggest examples is the hole in the back, which looks to be about 16 or more edges, way way overkill for something that is only a few MM wide. But, the area surrounding that(the half curve with 5 sides) has significantly less for its size. Which reallly calls out the blockyness of that area, now in reality i think that area is totally ok, perhaps a bit high depending on what sort of poly target you're aiming for, but because of the perfectly smooth, flawless detail right next to it, it makes it really look bad. I think as long as your model is consistant, you can get away with a little blockyness, but as soon as you go crazy overkill rounding everything out in one area, you need to do it on the rest of the model or it will look weird.

Add a few more edges in where you have the bad smoothing errors, the top corner of the "panel" for example. Fixing those sorts of problems goes a longggggg way, and usually you just need to add a few more edges.

You can see in your first bake shots you showed, that all of the little imperfections from the highpoly model are showing through, you can see that the panels still need to be smoothed out a bit, probabbly a case of removing some edges, or un-tightening some edges, to get rid of that sort of faceted look. It looks a little like you're trying to hide this with the newer shots? Or you've improved it i guess, show some screenshots with a darker diffuse(so its not blowing out to bloom city) and direct lighting.

Hope this stuff helps
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I baked w/ xnormal, do i still need to flip the green?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nope you're good then.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot, this stuff makes a lot of sense. The lp is a solid chunk, i think the ao makes it look like seperate pieces. I'll start making some changes tonight and see how things go. I've been kinda paranoid that if i start taking geometry out of the "detail" areas it'll be really noticeable in the silhouette but what i have is pretty excessive. I halfway based my poly limit to fps weapons i've seen posted but i'm still not entirely sure what a realistic tri count would be. Thanks a ton for the advise, i'll see what i can do by tomorrow night.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in the future, it would help people trying to give you feedback if you gave better screen shots. we have to see the model.. don't show the blade at 0, 15, and 30 degrees, show it at like 30, 60, 90, etc give us good turn around shots and you'll get better feedback.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt wrote: »
    Thanks a lot, this stuff makes a lot of sense. The lp is a solid chunk, i think the ao makes it look like seperate pieces.

There seems to be some errors in the bake, missing section or something? In the area where the panels connect to the base of the knife, that is what i was wondering if it was separate chunks. Most of the time a simpliler mesh with result in a cleaner bake, so trying to represent every little knook and crany from the highpoly is not only excessive, but also hurts you when it comes time to bake. What i mean specificaly here is you may want to try removing some edges so that instead of the connection there being like this: |_ that hard 90 degree cut, you remove one of those edges and have a more angled thing like: \ . I find a lot of times people have problems with bakes because they try to model too much in(too little can be a problem too, so you just gotta find a good balance).
    I halfway based my poly limit to fps weapons i've seen posted but i'm still not entirely sure what a realistic tri count would be.

Yeah in reality having a first person weapon that is ~3000 polys isnt that bad, but i think when you compare the size and complexity of this asset, to like a larger rifle with all sorts of accessories or what have you, it seems really excessive. Thats what i was saying =) size wise more than anything.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cut everything down to 878 polys / 1528 triangles, next i'll tweak the unwrap a bit and re-bake.

knife_25.jpg
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in the most recent image, knife_25.1.jpg, the knife that is gray, in the middle, where is the light source coming from? the 3 groves on the handle look as if they're lit from below, yet the base of the hilt, near where the rope will tie into the knife, looks lit from above.

this makes me think you have to flip a channel in your normal map.

there are settings for the normal map in xnormal, you maybe have changed them from the default or something, right click the normal map slot in xnormal to see those options.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah that looks like a flipped channel or something. Marmoset uses the default from XN. Also, make sure you have both a diffuse and normals texture loaded, if not it may do all sorts of crazy stuff(just create a flat dark grey texture for the diffuse).

Also if you want to, upload your obj + textures and i'll take a look at it.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont remember changing any settings in xnormal but i might have messed something up in marmoset... I'll take another look at it when i get home from work.

Oh, the base of the knife you're talking about slopes up. you can kinda see it in the knife on the far right of 25.1... i know i checked something in marmoset that fixed some crazy geometry issues when i first loaded up the new mesh, object space somethin or other. When the mesh was imported a few pieces of geometry turned bright white and that fixed it... I'm going to try to get home semi-early today so i can crawl through it and try to identify some problems and repost. Thanks for looking!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt wrote: »
    I dont remember changing any settings in xnormal but i might have messed something up in marmoset... I'll take another look at it when i get home from work.

Oh, the base of the knife you're talking about slopes up. you can kinda see it in the knife on the far right of 25.1... i know i checked something in marmoset that fixed some crazy geometry issues when i first loaded up the new mesh, object space somethin or other. When the mesh was imported a few pieces of geometry turned bright white and that fixed it... I'm going to try to get home semi-early today so i can crawl through it and try to identify some problems and repost. Thanks for looking!

Object space is not something you want to turn on, it sounds like you're having exporting issues. Make sure to turn on "normals" when you export from max, and use GW:OBJ or whatever it is.

And again, make sure you have a diffuse AND normals loaded, if you're missing one of those it will grab a random texture and look all fucked up.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is what i was talking about before that was fixed when i turned on object space.

I'm going to take another look @ the mesh and make sure something isn't horribly wrong with those polygons then re-export.

@kp - I started creating that slant a while back and ran into problems so i just moved on but now i think i can change it pretty easily. I was getting weird pinching before where the flat sides tapered down but i've changed the original mesh since then so i'll give it another go. :)

WTF_04.jpg
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok... found 2 very obvious reasons for the issues so far. i have no idea how i missed extra verts but they slipped through.. go figure.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now i'll try to get the butt beveled. :poly122:

knife_26.1.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also a note, if you happen to have 2 verts welded to the same position in your uvs(that arent welded in 3d) you'll get incorrect shading on them. Thats probabbly what is up with that first image there.

Also, make sure that where you have hard edges, your uvs are split as well. It seems like you have some seams on some of your hard edges? If both edges lay in the same space on the uvs, you'll get some errors there. Otherwise in XNormal, if you want to work with hard edges, you need to set up a cage, go into the 3d view, select all the verts and hit "weld selected" or whatever, and then push the cage out to the correct distance. Make sure you save that file and load it up in the lowpoly section(if you just exit the viewer without saving it will ignore any changes to the cage).