Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Archimedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the progress of my item:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=80417204

I posted in the workshop, and have continued to work on the model while uploading progress on the workshop page, check it out, and tell me what you think!

(The texturing methods that valve requires you to adhere to are the next thing i am going to practice, but i have most of the modelling done and a basic AO map baked in now! :)

POBwo.jpg
  • Archimedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm working on this sword for either Kunkka or Tidehunter (probably fits better with Kunkka's lore) that I'm calling "sword of the nautilus". The idea is, it has somewhat of a ships helm design on the hilt, and will have some spiral "nautilus" designs on the texture. Do you guys this I should even bother finishing/submitting this? I feel like I have art block :/

XD26S.jpg

I like the sword, the model looks clean, and i don't mean the white place holder texture ;P I personally would make the hilt of the sword more subtle, design-wise. I don't know how many silly items are going to be implemented, so i'd say perhaps keep the wheel, but make it more dignified?
  • Walgrind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Walgrind polycounter lvl 9
    hi
    For the Kunkka' sword : Don't forget the size of your blage in-game ,I think that you should be increase the size of your rudder, its too small , make it more exaggerated.

I uplaod my work on the workshop =) !
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Really sexy, Walgrind! I'm sure it'll make it in the game really quickly :)

I'm having some issues with getting a normal map for my model.

Here's the model, low-poly in front, high-poly in back:
    HighLowPoly.jpg

Here's the UVs:
    OmniKnight_Hammer_outUV_V02.jpg

And here's the normals that xNormal returns :S
    Omniknight_Hammer_V01_normals.jpg

Anybody got any idea what's going on here? I'm pretty new to xNormal but the ambient occlusion map comes out the same way with what seems to be a distorted UV. After unsuccessfully fiddling with the knobs in xNormal, I tried baking the map in Maya an it yielded similar results. Help!
  • murphy7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    [...]

Not exactly sure what the baking problem is, maybe the HP and the LP model aren't at the same position?

Another thing, this probably wont bake well at all. There are way too less loops on the cylinder stuff to support the shape and like this it isn't going to catch the detail very well. You can test it, but I guess the results aren't going to be very good.

Suggestion:

fixetpky.jpg

Not sure about the top part, best guess would be to just test it. Also smooth out some edges aswell they are really, really sharp. Too sharp for a normal map.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I completely agree but the problem is that I'm alredy 20 tris over the budget of 650 tris. For the LoD0 one. the LoD1 needs to have even less polys *shudder*

EDIT: Oh man, you got it. They were offset from each other, and not directly on top of one another. Thanks man, I was about to strangle a kitten <3
  • 07genics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    07genics polycounter lvl 10
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Here's my latest and only contribution so far. I collaborated with Sparkwire on it and we finished it up the other day.

Spark did the high poly, low poly, compile and submission. I did the bakes, textures and presentations. :)

Also, if you want to know how to get your thingy into the Dota2 item tester, it's as simple as moving all of your files to the "steamapps\common\dota2 beta" folders with the correct paths for the compiled files then opening them in game from the submission page.

4C3422F0669E7CF203F415D5108366950809A572
    92B44E01F0DDE7B20E8ED50CFD4C26082AD2D197
    39E7B6EF68F8401F3C25A6267D8739A44DCA4886
  • jwest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump, nice job man that came out really well! Keep it up. Would love to see more of the textures and models.

07genics, the details on the helmet came out really nice, as well as the colors.

Here is my final submission for the Tidehunter Axe I made. So i tried everything I could to compile this but in the end kept getting gameinfo.txt file errors or it didn't understand the LoD part in the qc file. However according to WYK's blog you only need to submit the obj's and targa files. So i lined up everything correctly, skinned it and exported it.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=80878658&searchtext=

tidehunter_weapon_battleaxe.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    @07genics - awesome work

@frump - the images with Sven were taken inside the dota2? you guys did a great work for the model =]

@jwest - finally you posted, great =], already rated

----

about my courier project,(im calling it Silly Dragon courier) i was doing some color tests and decided to follow Valves guide and started only with black and white.

any suggestion?

option 01
    Value-Pattern-01.jpg

option 02
    Value-Pattern-02.jpg

thanks
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the lighter dragon with the darker backpack. It will probably read better against the regular background ingame. iirc the default courrier is light-colored with darker packs.
  • thatguyouknow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can anyone direct me to a guide on how to properly compile your model for Dota 2? Whenever I compile and test it in the workshop, my item is invisible.
  • jwest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the dragon courier a lot, I think the darker colored dragon works better personally. Plus if the dragon is a light green he might get lost in the environment because it is also light green.
  • Tomm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @07genics
    Great work! but I don't think metal fits furion, maybe make it leather?

Here's my hammer I've been working on the last couple of days.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=80912084

omni_hammer01.jpg
  • Dr.cube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some really awesome stuff in this Thread.

That hammer fits him well Tomm.

Here is a Pudge knife I've been working on for the passed few days:
    WG1Bh.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tomm - nica hammer tomm, it really fits very well to the character

@Dr. cube, great work too, im just concerned that it appears bigger then the original one but im not sure. if its bigger it may enter in the ground during the animations

---

a little update on the Silly Dragon courier

*sorry if im bothering with the posts, with tons of finished works here im not felling that its a post to put WIP things, just let me know and i can create another one an put just the finished result

i skiped the texturing part and finished blocking the rig and did a rough skinning pass, im not very happy with the sillhouette so maybe i will change somethings on the model

didnt decided the color pallet yet

anim-01.jpg

thanks for every critique in advance =]
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire wrote: »
    Part of a set

for blood seeker?
  • Tomm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tvidotto
    I like the silhouette of that courier, however I think you're wasting a lot of tris.. mostly on his legs. Also the construction of the wings(?dunno how to describe) could be 6 or maybe even 4 sided.. I would also consider redoing the topology on his head, it seems a bit messy to me. Other than that it's really cool.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    paintover on the samurai set I am making for Axe to test out some ideas

SamuraiAxeConcept05.jpg
    let me know what you guys think
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    EVIL, I hope you're looking at his animations when planning the pieces, as it would be a shame for it all to be clipping all over the place.
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    swordfishes.jpg

my liking of money finally overpowered my aversion to learning to model!

if i actually finish this thing it'll be a swordfish sword for kunkka
  • Hellmouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellmouth polycounter lvl 11
    Well, this was a fun afternoon.

SvenPaintoverSheet1.jpg
  • matsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Hellmouth

Really good work on that last sheet... I have however a bone to pick about the two helmets... if you remove the side-spikes then it is a complete different character because of the big change in silhoutte... so that is something to think about.
  • Hellmouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I've thought of that. Perhaps I should include A+C/D as well.
    EDIT: A+C and A+D have been added on the sheet, don't know why I didn't include them the first time around.
  • Kamaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamaki polycounter lvl 6
    I was able to get two of my items to the front page! Needless to say I'm pretty pleased with myself. The first one was this Phantom Assassin blade:
    B4DB1E0297AC2283A5A120A5CF197EC59094CC4C

And the second was this silencer helm:
    422D81E0AF686FDDEB33558BA2DD575FA86D7A2E
    I was pretty pleased with the silencer helm as I got a friend on board to do the texturing, glad I did too as I reached a full 5 stars :P

Comments and crits would be lovely by the way. My friend has gone on holiday and so I'll have to texture anything new myself from this point on which is just depressing. Oh and you can vote on them here and here respectively.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @HellMouth - great ideas, i like a lot the B. It keeps assimetrical the armor but makes it powerfull.
    Just one thing that i noticed. That part near the neck that goes straight up near the mouth is normally on the side of the shield, but sven doesnt uses one and has more armor on the left side (according to your drawing) witch means that he uses his left foot on the front giving his left side to the enemy. Maybe you could try that on the left shoulder but keep in mind that it could enter the head mesh depending on Svens movement

i like a lot the C part too, but you will need to deal with bones or it will get a lot strange skinned to the legs or just attached to the hip

and i agree with matsman, the helmet could be a change too big in the sillhouette

great work =]
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kamaki - great works, i liked a lot the silencer helmet. Glad to know that is another polycount member =]
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @matsman:
    There is one helmet already in the game that doesn't have the horns (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=71246757&searchtext=)

@Hellmouth:
    I'm really digging A+B+D. Though I agree with matsman, there should be SOME kind of horn/ornament on the helm. I'm really liking the Wall-of-Steel kinda of look of the full armor that you have going. I don't know if it's intentional but the reversal (armor on the bottom half, blue on the top in original, reverse in your concept) is a pretty sweet idea :) Can't wait to see it!
  • Hellmouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tvidotto: I was kind of trying to even out the amount of armour each side got, so the bevor got stuck on the right because I figured the shoulder pad would offer protection by itself.
    To dispel any future disdain, I only did these paint-overs out of boredom, I'm not planning to model them (if someone does like the ideas enough they are welcome to the concept). But for C, I assumed Dota 2 supports jigglebones like TF2, so the coat tails just fumble about randomly.
    @matsman: I kind of just did what "rogue knight" brought to mind at the time. I know it probably pushes Sven's design too far from the original.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellmouth wrote: »
    @Tvidotto: I was kind of trying to even out the amount of armour each side got, so the bevor got stuck on the right because I figured the shoulder pad would offer protection by itself.
    To dispel any future disdain, I only did these paint-overs out of boredom, I'm not planning to model them (if someone does like the ideas enough they are welcome to the concept). But for C, I assumed Dota 2 supports jigglebones like TF2, so the coat tails just fumble about randomly.
    @matsman: I kind of just did what "rogue knight" brought to mind at the time. I know it probably pushes Sven's design too far from the original.

so its with jiggle bones... good to know, i was asking myself how its was done the drow's cape
  • KoRazDigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello! I've been working on an axe for Axe and before I knew it, I had three different concepts. I'd like some c&c on them, as I really can't decide which I like the most.

EAkdj.png

The pommel is pretty much a placeholder, I haven't found anything better to put there. However, I'm starting to like that little pyramid.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello! I've been working on an axe for Axe and before I knew it, I had three different concepts. I'd like some c&c on them, as I really can't decide which I like the most.

The pommel is pretty much a placeholder, I haven't found anything better to put there. However, I'm starting to like that little pyramid.

wow, a loved the mohawk idea, simple and fits awesome on axe =]

about the axes, i like the open ones because of the different style, and between the two i prefer the more damaged one
  • Damytria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damytria polycounter lvl 7
    I was working on this for awhile, But I'm having a rather hard time retopping it down to what the limits are.

Bow1.jpg

Bow2.jpg

Drow1.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damytria wrote: »
    I was working on this for awhile, But I'm having a rather hard time retopping it down to what the limits are.

uhhh, awesome model =]
  • jwest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damytria wrote: »

Cool idea so far, the big details will read well. Whats the Limit and do you have a pic of your LowPoly progress to show?
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, so after wanting to kill myself trying to compile my model for a couple of hours yesterday, I figured I would just throw it up here while I wait for the rage to subside (btw, if somebody could do a short little write-up of how to get models compiled for Dota2, I would love you long time)

So here we go, progress on my mace/hammer/mallet for Omniknight:

Hammer_V15.jpg

I'd love some good old C&C :3
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
  • KoRazDigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    wow, a loved the mohawk idea, simple and fits awesome on axe =]

about the axes, i like the open ones because of the different style, and between the two i prefer the more damaged one

Thank you very much! Yes, I thought that the mohawk would add a bit of personality while not looking too silly.

About the axes - do you like it because of the battle damage? 'Cause I plan to add battle damage to the final product anyway - it's the shape of the blade itself I'm having a hard time deciding on.
  • Archimedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    Hey guys, so after wanting to kill myself trying to compile my model for a couple of hours yesterday, I figured I would just throw it up here while I wait for the rage to subside (btw, if somebody could do a short little write-up of how to get models compiled for Dota2, I would love you long time)

So here we go, progress on my mace/hammer/mallet for Omniknight:

Hammer_V15.jpg

I'd love some good old C&C :3

I have been feeling exactly the same way, i read a couple tutorials, but they seem to gloss over the specific part that i am needing to know, or their method doesn't work with maya 2012 or something. :/
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much! Yes, I thought that the mohawk would add a bit of personality while not looking too silly.

About the axes - do you like it because of the battle damage? 'Cause I plan to add battle damage to the final product anyway - it's the shape of the blade itself I'm having a hard time deciding on.
    the differente between then is that one is more round then the other? if it yes i prefer the with mor polys

the symmetry bothers me a little, if you are open to new ideas, you could try reversing the curve in one of the sides or some kind of asymmetry.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its alive!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMi2QpACyT4&quot;]Dota 2 courier project - Silly Dragon - Run Cycle - YouTube[/ame]

ok, kind of =]

its the run cycle, it still need some adjustments, i dont like the feet for example, they are too symmetrical, but im going to do the other anims before polishing everything

i still need the:
    • idle
    • idle anternative
    • spawn
    • turns
    • die
    • wings_run
    • wings_run_alt
    • wings_idle
    • wings_die

there is a lot of work to do
    i still need to paint all the maps, textures and rework the mesh

any critiques/suggestions will be appreciated

thanks
  • Okoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellmouth wrote: »
    Well, this was a fun afternoon.

SvenPaintoverSheet1.jpg

O M F G ! A+D is so F*ing awesome! cmon! make it real! =D
  • Archimedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally wrapped it up and shipped it off to Valve, wish me luck on my first submission! And here is a link to my page for those kind souls who like to encourage other artists. :)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=81275886

cFe67.jpg
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18

EAkdj.png

I like the damaged open one, but you can push your Geo a bit more. The polycount on the axe is limited to 700 triangles, so I think you can keep the curvature of the first, without going over budget.
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Damytria

Your geometry isn't that complex. I can see a base mesh right under that. A majority of your details could easily be NORMAL mapped. You have to think of your LOD1 as you build your original model. Zbrush or Mudbox for all those details would yield better results.
  • Kamaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamaki polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, not sure if this is confirmation that it's in but my item just showed up on cyborg matt's stream! Proof shot!
  • KoRazDigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL wrote: »
    I like the damaged open one, but you can push your Geo a bit more. The polycount on the axe is limited to 700 triangles, so I think you can keep the curvature of the first, without going over budget.

Wow, I misread on the workshop page in that case - I thought it was 400!

I've done some more work and I think it's starting to shape up. I'm still not entirely satisfied with the area where the head connects to the shaft - it looks strange.

5PRgE.png

I also experimented with two other designs, just for fun. I kind of like the leftmost one.

in2nT.png

I still don't know what to do with the pommel, though. :|

I'm sorry for spamming up the thread, but I'd love to hear your thoughts! This is the first time I'm doing something like this, so I'm kind of in the dark over here.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamaki wrote: »
    Hey guys, not sure if this is confirmation that it's in but my item just showed up on cyborg matt's stream! Proof shot!

saw your weapon there too, he is testing all the weapons, but i couldn understand what is he doing..

first question, who is he? =]
    why he has access to all submitted itens and why he was taking snapshots of them?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sorry for spamming up the thread, but I'd love to hear your thoughts! This is the first time I'm doing something like this, so I'm kind of in the dark over here.

i have that question too, im planning on start a tread about my courier, i think sometimes i exagerate posting the wip

about your pomel, it doenst bother me, but if you want to change you could go to something related to the blade, lique the ciruclar shape or something larger thinking on a better grip

i like you idea of 3 blades, the middle part remember a stylized mohawk =]