Home Dota 2

DarkKyo's Workshop

Replies

• darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    PQSLZoO.jpg
    F3r6719.jpg

Texture/masks are currently WIP, I would absolutely love some tips on how to push it further. I do plan to make that singular white ring into chinese motif territory but besides that I'm not sure what else I should do to improve the texturing right now.

Any idea how to get rid of that blue sheen/rimlight on the brown hair of the brush portion? Or is that just how meepo's shaders roll?
  • Zambash
    Offline / Send Message
    Zambash polycounter lvl 4
    Some dripping blue paint particles with that brush would be awesome.
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Zambash wrote: »
    Some dripping blue paint particles with that brush would be awesome.

That's a good idea! I was actually thinking of trying to modify the Geostrike particles so it looks like blue paint dripping/sticking them to the earth... but particles are something I have zero experience with so I'm not sure if I can swing it in time for the competition.
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    My only question is this: What would a miner do with a brush?
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    My only question is this: What would a miner do with a brush?

Meepo isn't a miner, he's a Geomancer. It's a geomantic calligraphy brush used to enchant objects and control dirt/earth. Look at the icon for Geostrike.

N6Z15u3.png
  • heboltz3
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Haha shit my bad man, I apologize, I could've sworn he was was a miner last time I checked his lore. xD
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha shit my bad man, I apologize, I could've sworn he was was a miner last time I checked his lore. xD

Lol to be honest Meepo's character design does look more like a little dirty miner guy than he does some kind of magic earthen enchanter. And it's true(at least it's portrayed in his splash art and dialogue) that he seems to use his magic to find minerals/gold....
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Posted it in the main thread but I'd like to have it here too.. Meepo brush is done

nLYn4cul.jpg
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Idea for a Meepo ward:

dPwdv2h.jpg

Not sure what would look better for the observer ward.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    This ward looks really weird..
    To be honost it looks like something girls would like to use ;)
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol its apparently hard to make a big chunky earthworm not seem phallic.... Maybe it just needs to be thinner
  • Automedic
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    This ward looks really weird..
    To be honost it looks like something girls would like to use ;)

I have to admit that was my first thought, too xD
  • Potm
    Offline / Send Message
    Potm keyframe
    lolololll i LOVE this idea of meebo holding the chinese whatever pen that is call, it just looks so funny xDDDD
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    iF45q36.jpg
    Terror set concept WIP. Stuff might change a bit. Also would be open to collab on this one as I'm currently working on one personal set solo.

Edit: Also looking for crits to see if I can improve this design if people have any ideas!
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    n5LcOzS.jpg
    Dual blade Legion weapon concepts for the February competition... Would love to know which work the best/look the coolest, or if I should combine parts from several of them.
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    6tfKxUt.jpg
    Elder Titan weapon concept... anyone want to model it?
    Posted to the March competition thread but it's here now as well.
    edit: unclaimed
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    -snip for progress on this concept-
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally months of work on my first courier project have come to an end...
    iOAmEi56MOGxL.gifibuTW5zJbD4WHR.gif

In flying form the bag is levitated off the ground in the smooth way that Rubick does levitation. The courier character here flaps his wings around to keep himself afloat while he concentrates on steadily keeping the bag of items moving in front of/alongside/around him.

This was a collaboration with JayKLegendary on his Rubick courier concept. It was an ace concept that needed to be realized in 3D! It was a lot of fun to sculpt and texture, and the texture stage is just about done. We do need a rigger/animator to pick up the reigns at this point as neither of us have any experience in those fields. We'd also be really interested in getting a particle artist to create a slime trail(ground form) and maybe slime drips(flying form). If you have any interest in being a part of this project please don't hesitate to PM us! I am still considering multiple wing styles(due to this little guy's slimey, malleable nature) but I won't start anything like that until we chat with an animator and see just how feasible that really is. The other thing I should note is that LOD1 isn't done yet but I will be getting that done this week now that the texture is all set.

Edit: Aaand we've got an animator. hayes87
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Very cool work, can't wait to see the animations!
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    i rly love it.
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet's so cute!
  • DarthVictorLee
    dis rubick courier is so cute

love it and the brush :>
  • Godzy
    Offline / Send Message
    Godzy polycounter lvl 6
    I feel like the wings could've been a lot better in terms of desing, they're pretty weak considering how crazy u can go when it comes to rubick cosmetics.

Either way it's a solid courier, good job!
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words all!!
    You make a good point Godzy. I think the idea was that he'd have several types of wings you could switch between and that's what would make the wings unique -- that they could morph into another wing archetype because they are made of slime. I'd still like to do this so I'll have to see what our animation guy says about that.
  • Automedic
    Nice courier!

I would be up for the particles. Here's my workshop in case you're not familiar with my work - I've also sent you a friend request. There's a lot of shenanigans you can do with those blobs. I've got an idea or two =)
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm delighted to hear you are interested in making particles for our courier!! I accepted your friend request but it looks like you signed off. Anyways we'll talk soon :)
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    wmqjabv.jpg

Wing styles! Will be finishing 3 out of 4 of the ones pictured here. Still not entirely sure which one to cut.

(only one I will definitely not cut is the one that is done-done, which is the bat wings)
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Imo, definitely cut number 4.
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    i would love if he had wings made from his cloakmaterial
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock wrote: »
    i would love if he had wings made from his cloakmaterial

Hmmm that's something I may try out....

In the meantime I've become interested in single items again so here are a few concepts.
    fEqq86b.png
    aG3jnqB.png
    The Abaddon sword design here has a mist particle gushing from it, and the projected blade could come in multiple styles because it's generated by the mist.
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Offline / Send Message
    [NB] Mohsen polycounter lvl 3
    Can i take LC sword?
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Couple of set concepts that I've had on my mind for awhile... both are subject to change pending people's crits/suggestions and I'm not sure what I want to do with either at the moment. I would love to hear what people think and what I can improve here.

iP78qHYAOaHhS.png
    Dirge - untitled Yeti/Wendigo themed set
    Sort of a death-in-nature theme as well...
    The idea for the tombstone is that it is the "heart" of the curse, and due to the countless trees on the Dota map the roots can move it around underground.

iEdaG90CK0nuH.png
    Tresdin - Jungle Survivalist set
    Jungling themed set for LC since it is a popular playstyle for her.. I find a lot of sets for LC are on the more prestigious/regal/ceremonial side of things and I thought it might be interesting to give her a gritty/utility set(drastic makeshift camo look)

(make sure you open them in new tabs to see detail)
    anyways, I'm all ears!
  • quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    im not really sure about LC camouflage blade, but holy shit, that yeti undying is brilliant :D, but you should reconsider the color theme on it thou
  • Potm
    Offline / Send Message
    Potm keyframe
    That undying is so cute xD! Not sure with the white greyish fur, probably it will look like a giant scary bear from the top view in game? Maybe pale light green instead? (just a suggestion, it may not look good >.<)

the LC set gives me a feeling of an "explorer" feel, and the camouflage pattern seems a little bit too...modern? i mean...you dont see any camouflage related items in dota...

but it's a really fresh looking feel and interesting, you never know what others think unless it's in workshop and hear the feedback anyway! Best of Luck ;DDDD!
  • Vovosunt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    Some really great ideas here.
    The yeti-undying is just fantastic! I don't really have issues with the coloring either, you could just make several color styles (white, green-gray,brown?).
    As for the jungler LC, well again some great ideas are there (like the shield with swords on the back) but I feel that it's straying a bit too far from the LC design. The ceremonial/shiny leader/commander feel is something that she needs and leaving her without it just seems wrong (I mean her signature move is Duel... not really something that you'd expect from a person dressed in a jungler uniform). But then again, arcana LC with those two machete-swords could fit in the jungle quite well XD
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    @quockhanhlk Thank you!! I will probably play with the colors quite a bit when it comes to the texturing stage so the scheme is totally up in the air for the moment. The idea was that I would take Undying's color scheme into the pale blue/white/brown side of things to give a feeling of cold and barren because all those colors are present on his original model..

@Potm I think you're right about the camo-pattern being too modern looking. I think I could go with a camo pattern that's more suitable to a fantasy forest world on that part of the blade because I really do want to keep the green in the blade. In terms of your explorer comment I could probably find a way to make it all a little more commander looking. and thanks for your thoughts on the dirge set! I'm going to try to make the yeti form look really gnarly so it doesn't come across as a bear lol

@Vovosunt Thanks for the compliment on the Dirge set! Like I said in my previous reply I think I need to find a way to make the LC set a little more commander like. I think the original idea I had was that it was more of a "Legion Commando" set. She's on a mission and something goes awry causing her to adapt to the jungle, stealthing around the forests dueling enemy after enemy.. it was meant for more of a struggling/strife feeling than her normal ceremonial armors(though I understand that's the primary aspect of her character).

Anyways I think I'm good to start on the Dirge set, and I'll develop the LC set a little differently in the future. Thanks for all your comments!
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Offline / Send Message
    [NB] Mohsen polycounter lvl 3
    How are you gonna do the dirge set if his files aren't on the website yet?
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    How are you gonna do the dirge set if his files aren't on the website yet?

You can extract(from the dota 2 client files) and import the base models into your 3D program of choice. I know he's not up yet but it seems like he could be one of the next new cosmetic heroes due to being broken down and having slots and an item out already.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Great stuff.

Love that Ab sword, can I make it?

Also love that yeti set though I agree with everyone else, it just needs to match his colors better. Great stuff though. Not too sure about the pillar...

I have worked on some Dirge stuff too. But my compiled files are different than the current ones. He had an arm piece, a belt and a shoulder. Now he has an 'armor' instead. I compiled the pieces under other heros that had the similar tri counts to his current stuff and copied them over. But now the files are screwy :(
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    @Baddcog You can absolutely make the Aba sword! I didn't have any plans recently to work on it and I'm not sure if I'd ever get to it so if you would like to work from the concept I would be thrilled!

And thanks for the comments on the Dirge set! I will definitely work on making sure his colors are identifiable as Undying when it is developed.

As for the item breakdown for Dirge, I think they broke him down differently once they made the Immortal Tombstone for him(because I think they are preparing his cosmetic slots for the workshop). They must have figured the most efficient way to do it is Armor - Helmet - Flesh Golem - Tombstone so he didn't have a huge amount of item slots(like the mistake they made with some characters like Kunkka) to build for and so it would be easier to group items theme-wise. Either way you could probably start from the end of the sculpt/retopo phase and just re-retop them in a way that satisfies the new slots. Who knows when he will actually be workshop ready, but generally it seems like when they introduce a singular item and prepare item slots they enable them on the workshop sometime soonish afterwards.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, I will grab it.

Yeah, I figured the set is basically done. Just need to wait for final files and will have some work to fit it to new standards.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Was bored last night...
    darkkyo_ab%20sword_wip.jpg

I think I am mis-reading the horns though. The shading makes it look like ears.

it is ears right? Made the blade a bit beefier since the handle is pretty large.

Really haven't touched the hands/feet yet.

Should the handle have wraps?
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Was bored last night...
    darkkyo_ab%20sword_wip.jpg

I think I am mis-reading the horns though. The shading makes it look like ears.

it is ears right? Made the blade a bit beefier since the handle is pretty large.

Really haven't touched the hands/feet yet.

Should the handle have wraps?

That's looking so cool so far!!
    To be honest I think I originally intended them to be horns but we could always see what looks better on the hi poly. I think I will leave that distinction up to you. As for a wrap on the handle... I think it could either work with wraps, as an ornamental handle(adding in some twisted texture detail for grip), or maybe without any wraps/grip at all. I think it's going to be one of those things where it will be easier to envision what looks best once a high poly is further along....

Also once it is time we will have to figure out how to add a cool misty particle effect to the mouth so you cant see exactly where the blade is forming out of.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to spam thread with wips.

Was getting pretty worried about tri count with all the spikes and horns so i went ahead and cranked out the lods and did a quick bake. On the money. 450 and 300 tris :D
    darkyyo_lods.jpg

Your particles look a lot like the stock ones so I don't think a custom is needed. I'll just put a bunch of verts near the mouth so a lot of particles spawn there.

Did the toes but not fingers. Other than that I think the mesh is pretty much done. Your concept is pretty smooth and all the details show nicely so I don't wanna cram too much in and make it muddy.

As far as handle. Wraps would let us add purple, but might look bad anyway. I think maybe just some ornate detail. Didn't have time but i think a simple corkscrew or just rings that match the ribs could work well. (under hand mostly anyway).
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    uKvmp5m.png

Halloween time

Culmination of a couple of ideas I had for Techies costumes... Normally a Halloween theme can be kind of hokey but I think it works for Techies in a way

Spleen - Lobgoblin costume, considering either a flame particle or an orange-haired ponytail emerging from the helmet
    Squee - untitled costume, treat dispenser/carrier theme
    Bomb cart - Clay explosives formed into the shape of a plump Greevil(contained within a metal frame)... various candies stuck to it to attract others to it. Mouth is totally filled with explosives
    Spoon - untitled coffin costume: this time they know Spoon is inside even though they don't realize he is still somewhat alive. they've packed the coffin with explosives to make him into a time bomb to honor him by blowing up the enemy

I have a gut feeling that a couple parts here might be a bit too busy looking but I'd like to hear opinions. Comments/crits much appreciated, thank you
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    OcTIuVO.png

Going to mostly be posting progress about this here. Drawing inspiration from several themes and colors. The design itself is a mix of several koi species and immature dragons/serpents from Chinese mythology. The only part I was unsure about is the presence of the jade color in Puck's wings but I think it may just work because all of these colors together(pink, natural greens, light blues, orange, wood browns) make a really nice Spring pallet.

As I said in the other thread I will need to do facial flexing due to the bottom lip and chin fins. Next update will probably be a mid-sculpt preview.

Opinions on colors/themes/feasibility would be very much appreciated!
  • teabiscuit
    Offline / Send Message
    teabiscuit polycounter lvl 3
    I really like how the tail and face look, they're unique for puck... and I imagine teh tail could be really elegant when it's animated and in game. I think the wings don't quite fit the feel for the rest of the set though, with the difference in color palette and style. The green color could totally work on puck, but I'm not sure about the barklike wing stumps
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, teabiscuit! I'm happy you like the face, tail, and color scheme. As for the wings I think I will keep the shape but try out other types of "casings" than the curled wood design there. I will definitely keep the jade-like curls there, though!
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    So it has taken a bit of a turn since the first concept I've posted..
    ARZ946M.jpg
    Tried a couple solutions to the back/wings and this is my favorite of them for a possible chinese myth-creature backside. Going to keep all the fins koi-like and give him a sort of mane as there are a lot of mythological creatures with this sort of look(including many depictions of chinese serpent dragons).

Got most of the major forms set in place and am now starting to sculpt.

Any crits??

One thing I'd like an opinion on is the tail. The middle fin of the tail is how koi would have it -- vertical. However when Puck flies through the air its tail goes up and down and not left and right like a fish. Should I rotate the middle fin so it is horizontal maybe(like a mermaid) so it looks right in the animation? Or stay true to the koi?