Updates:

- Rockets!
- Rockets!!
- Rockets!!!
- Camera shake (more is more)
- Low-health warning system
- roadkill support

Todo:
- Things that are less funny and tend not to get done.

old posts in WAYWO:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1780145&postcount=2417
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1783488&postcount=2662
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1793603&postcount=3274

Replies

• R00
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Win thread :D Can't wait for this dude.
  • PhoenixWolf
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    thats actually super fun i love the low health warning gives you a extra chance to dodge things because of the slomo :D
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Much better than the first time I tried it. It was a little chaotic lol, but this feels a lot more organized, good job.
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    awesome, quite addicting
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Haha! awesome update. Love the slomo. Put a bit grin on my face. Hard game or i'm rubbish at it. Still... can't wait for more.
  • Fallen
    Offline / Send Message
    Fallen polycounter lvl 8
    This is awesome, I love the character that the little guys have, they may only fire, but there's something about them that makes them more than just cannon fodder, very characterful indeed
  • Roxxor
    Offline / Send Message
    Roxxor polycounter lvl 9
    Loved this. Confused a little about how to use the lightning pickup. It activated and was awesome, but I had no idea why it did what it did. Looking forward to where this project goes!
  • kaptainkernals
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    This is probably the sexiest game I've ever seen made in Construct 2, Really good work!
  • rogueNoodle
    Man, I was waiting for an update on this - great stuff! The rockets turned out pretty amazing, if not a bit overwhelming (that screenshot really says it all ;)

Out of curiosity, how difficult are you finding it to keep a project like this organized? I'm plugging away on my platformer and although I'm not that far into it, it's starting to get a little hairy. I decided to add the ability to crouch yesterday, and I was ready to throw the entire project out :P
  • alifarsangi
    Offline / Send Message
    alifarsangi polycounter lvl 9
    that is pretty awesome game !
  • Memory
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    This is awesome--it got me to log in. Difficulty is pretty good right now, it doesn't get too frantic (as far as I got.) The 'distance' marker system is really cool, and loving the glows etc.

The game stands on it's own already, but here's a few suggestions:
    Would like a way to tell where my mortars are going to hit. The slowdown is nice, but it feels too long or too slow? Also, I'm sure you're getting to it, but it needs that title screen/gameover screen treatment.

brb playin again.
  • St4lis
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    tanks all of you for your support. Now for some Q6A:
    Roxxor wrote: »
    Loved this. Confused a little about how to use the lightning pickup. It activated and was awesome, but I had no idea why it did what it did. Looking forward to where this project goes!

It is actually represented in the UI, but if you dont see it, ill just have to make it clearer..

Out of curiosity, how difficult are you finding it to keep a project like this organized? I'm plugging away on my platformer and although I'm not that far into it, it's starting to get a little hairy. I decided to add the ability to crouch yesterday, and I was ready to throw the entire project out :P

It is quite tricky to keep things organized, but I dont think thats as much an issue with C2 as with making games in general. But I use separate event sheets for separate features an try and put things in well labeld event groups.

Oh, and also, I got the plugin "function" wich basically lets you setup and call functions, thus greatly slimming down your "code"

Memory wrote: »
    The game stands on it's own already, but here's a few suggestions:
    Would like a way to tell where my mortars are going to hit. The slowdown is nice, but it feels too long or too slow? Also, I'm sure you're getting to it, but it needs that title screen/gameover screen treatment.

brb playin again.

About the mortars: Yes, they are quite tricky. Ive been thinking of implementing upgrades, and one of them could be a target indicator for the mortars. Also, ive been thinking of changing the mortar throwing system so that you fling away them with the kinetic force of the hovertank. Testing will tell.

As for menues, they pretty much fall in to the todo category of "Things that are less funny and tend not to get done". But yeah, eventually..

Fallen wrote: »
    This is awesome, I love the character that the little guys have, they may only fire, but there's something about them that makes them more than just cannon fodder, very characterful indeed

Thanks man. Thats been one of my goals from the getgo. I chose to make them poor in detail so that i could make them rich in animation and behaviour instead. Im glad that shows.

Again, to all of you, tanks for the kind words.
  • St4lis
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Update! I'm home alone this easter, so I might get a lot of me-time to work on this.

polycount_game_08.jpg

playable in browser at:
    http://www.oskarstalberg.com/game/hovertank08/index.html
    (i moved the hosting, since DB wasn't working very well)

Updates:

- Completely revised UI
    - Distortion blast waves for explosions
    - A little better roadkills
    - achievements for killing enemies in new ways.

Todo:

- unclear.
  • Malloy
    Offline / Send Message
    Malloy polycounter lvl 6
    Hey man,

The game doesn't appear to be working for me :( (Chrome)
  • St4lis
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    yeah, I've had some issues with that. The game loads and then just turnes black. I have no idea why that happens, but it usually works to wait a couple of minuites and try again. Might be something to do with using dropbox. Thanks for the heads up though.
  • St4lis
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Malloy wrote: »
    Hey man,

The game doesn't appear to be working for me :( (Chrome)

I changed the hosting from Dropbox to my homepage. It should work better now.
  • Malloy
    Offline / Send Message
    Malloy polycounter lvl 6
    Absolutely man,

fixed and playing :D
  • Colditz
    lol, this is awesome! nice work!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    This is awesome. Do an iOS port and I'll give you monies.
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    awesome stuff!
  • St4lis
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    I'd love to hear your input on some particular points:

1. Did you easily understand how grenade-throwing works (including how far you throw them)?

2. Did you understand how tesla grenades work, and how its determined when you throw them?

3. Did you easily understand the "achievment badges" in the boddom-right corner, and how many of them did you get?
  • alifarsangi
    Offline / Send Message
    alifarsangi polycounter lvl 9
    i played ur game more than any other web games ! pretty awesome game ! here is my inputs and answers:

Q1: yes, but is a hard to fire in those fortress ! in my opinion u could define a marker for grenade launcher, something like grenade luchers marker in gears of war !

Q2: i guess how it works, tesla grenade is a magnatinc grenade where it hits the ground it will effects nearby enemies, the best way to use them is to shoot them in short range ! i hope i am right !
    Sometimes i want to save my tesla grenades for a specific time but its really hard to do that, for example when too many enemy launchers are aiming ! i know that collecting the grenades allows me to storage 4 tesla grenade but it get mixes by normal grenade and makes it really hard to use them in times that i want use them ! in my opinion u can define a specific key (Middle Mouse Button) for launching tesla grenade !

Q3: yes i did . i wasnt able to earn all those achievement badges.
  • Spatz
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    this is so sooo coool oskar ...great updates... i showed it here to some co-workers too and everybody loves it ... you are not seriously an intern at ubisoft massive or ?
  • St4lis
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Spatz wrote: »
    this is so sooo coool oskar ...great updates... i showed it here to some co-workers too and everybody loves it ... you are not seriously an intern at ubisoft massive or ?

Thanks. I'm glad to hear that people are enjoying it. As for the intern-thing, I'm actually done with my internship as of this week and start as an employee on tuesday. My position at Massive is technical artist, so its nice to do some less technical stuff such as art, animation and design for this project (altough I can't help but write a few shaders in the process).
  • Orangeknight
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    I love this game but I think it would be awesome if you added Arrow Keys/WASD controls because the mouse feels to floaty for me and I cant avoid anything.
  • indian_boy
    This is really very cool. I just played it for an hour without realizing the time fly by.
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    pretty cool, wish there was more variation in the ground texture tho. Visually it is a bit.. boring.

anyway, I got destroyed by 2 rockets, and after that I should have re-spawned but nothing happened. the meter's reacted to what I was doing, firing and lobbing grenades. but it had no effect on the enemies, and the tank wasn't visible on screen.
  • St4lis
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    alifarsangi - thanks man, that really helps.
    indian_boy wrote: »
    This is really very cool. I just played it for an hour without realizing the time fly by.

Wow, I thought my current leveldesign would last about 3 minuites, so thats cool.
    EVIL wrote: »
    pretty cool, wish there was more variation in the ground texture tho. Visually it is a bit.. boring.

it's actually not really a texture, but more of a solid color. I'm thinking of adding some environment art, but a tiling ground texture would not be a part of it. Simply because it would either be samll and thus tile very obviously or big and thus take too many bytes.
    EVIL wrote: »
    anyway, I got destroyed by 2 rockets, and after that I should have re-spawned but nothing happened. the meter's reacted to what I was doing, firing and lobbing grenades. but it had no effect on the enemies, and the tank wasn't visible on screen.

thats not as much of a bug as a feature not yet added. Currently, nothing happens when you die. needles to say, that will eventually be fixed.

I love this game but I think it would be awesome if you added Arrow Keys/WASD controls because the mouse feels to floaty for me and I cant avoid anything.

I'm sorry to say that that will not happen. Some people don't like the current controls, but some people do (incuding me) and they are an important part of the originality of the game. I have to keep the game design tight and within one vision, and I can't do that while maintaining two separate control-systems.
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    This has a really cool style. I hope you keep working on it!

By the way: Would you recommend Construct for someone that's completely new to coding? I've just started to learn to make my own games and trying to get used to javascript and Unity. I guess Construct's "visual scripting" approach is great for beginners? Any thoughts?
  • St4lis
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Fomori wrote: »
    This has a really cool style. I hope you keep working on it!

By the way: Would you recommend Construct for someone that's completely new to coding? I've just started to learn to make my own games and trying to get used to javascript and Unity. I guess Construct's "visual scripting" approach is great for beginners? Any thoughts?

I would defenitly recommend Construct2 for someone thats new to coding. Its way simpler than javascript and unity. Although I knew some code and a lot of game logic before I started working with C2, I used The Games Factory before that when I was a kid and it has allmost the exact same structure as C2, and that was very easy to lern.
  • St4lis
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Small Update

polycount_game_09-1.jpg

polycount_game_09-2.jpg

Playable in browser at:
    oskarstalberg.com/game/hovertank09/index.html

Update
    - Start Menu
    - Pause (press P or Pause)
    - Graph of score progression (shown when paused)
    - Some minor things
    - Extended the level design to have content troughout the level

Todo
    - Death, upgrades, or a new enemy
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    This game is so good and has so much personality. I can't it imagine it without the mouse controls, i like the floatiness of it. I think it fits pretty well. I can't wait to see the finished product! with some sweet tunes and maybe some sweet boss fights.
  • St4lis
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks, ErichWK.

Minor update. I wont even bother with a screenshot.
    oskarstalberg.com/game/hovertank11/index.html

Changes:
    - Pathfinding for enemy infantry
    - Enhanced achievement badges
  • kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Lovely!

Great work on the visuals, especially the effects and attention to detail. Some sound effects and a nice background tune would really complete the circle.
  • travisdreams
    Offline / Send Message
    travisdreams polycounter lvl 6
    this is very intense and epic! :D i dont know if im just a noob at this still but is there a life system in this? Where you have 3 lives/chances to continue if you die within the game? if not that'd be a nice idea :D
  • St4lis
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Update!

polycount_game_12.jpg

Playable in browser at:
    http://oskarstalberg.com/game/hovertank12/index.html

I was gonna do a bunch of cool stuff, but since y'all was whining about not dying properly I went ahead and fixed that instead.

Changes:
    - Highscore(!!!!) Go climb that leaderboard!!!!
    - Game Over!
    - Tesla now occasionaly leap from soldier to solider.

Todo:
    - Develop reliable hard surface pipeline
  • Hristo Rusanov
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo Rusanov polycounter lvl 7
    This is really adicting.I love the visual style and animations.

Btw how you made the explosions and muzzle flashes to look so good?It's not hand painted i guess?
  • St4lis
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    This is really adicting.I love the visual style and animations.

Btw how you made the explosions and muzzle flashes to look so good?It's not hand painted i guess?

Actually they are 100% hand painted. It took me a while to figure out the best workflow and I tried a bunch of stuff before I got there. Now I just paint them frame by frame in photoshop and use the PS timeline to preview. I use layer styles for the shading, so that all I have to paint is a silhouette. Plus they are like 8 - 14 frames each, so they're quick to redo if I'm not satisfied.

oh, and thanks for the compliments.
  • Hristo Rusanov
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo Rusanov polycounter lvl 7
    Hand painted was my first guess because i dont know anything that do stuff like these but then i was like no way this look too fluid.Well, officially my mind is blown.Stellar work! :thumbup::thumbup:
  • elGuapo
    Nice little game you got going there.
  • lildragn
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    This lil gem is full of awesome, congrats on keeping it going :)
  • St4lis
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks guys, thats nice of you.

Update!

Just a small update. no screenshot

Playable in browser at:
    http://oskarstalberg.com/game/HovertankGame/index.html

Changes:
    - Made the game easier.
    - Made tesla grenades better and cooler.
    - Tweaked soldier movement.
    - Replaced hovertank art (though this is NOT final)
    - Started uninevitable score inflation (so go climb that leaderboard!)
  • Goldo_O
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    This is such a cool game, I have tons of fun to play it!
    So is there a way to choose between the electrical grenade and the explosive one? Not sure when the blue one is being thrown.
    Nice work man!!!
  • St4lis
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Goldo_O wrote: »
    This is such a cool game, I have tons of fun to play it!
    So is there a way to choose between the electrical grenade and the explosive one? Not sure when the blue one is being thrown.
    Nice work man!!!

thanks! I've seen you on the scoreboard!

No, there is no way to chose, but you can see wich one is up next by looking at the mortar ammo queue just above the machinegun heat bar. When you pick up a tesla-grenade, its added to the back of that ammo queue.
  • Koochy
    Offline / Send Message
    Koochy polycounter lvl 10
    Sorry if this has been answered already, but what is this written in? Java?
  • St4lis
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Koochy wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been answered already, but what is this written in? Java?

It's all created in the awesome game engine Construct2, that outputs html5 and javascrip (I'm not entirely sure how everything works). I really recommend checking out C2 if your intrested in making 2d games super fast and easy.
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    nice dude- the game is really getting fun.

oh and, BOSS FIGHTS!!!
  • Koochy
    Offline / Send Message
    Koochy polycounter lvl 10
    St4lis wrote: »
    It's all created in the awesome game engine Construct2, that outputs html5 and javascrip (I'm not entirely sure how everything works). I really recommend checking out C2 if your intrested in making 2d games super fast and easy.
    Ahh, the hint was in the thread title! Thanks for this. I'm really interested in Java at the moment, so I'll look into Construct2 as well. Thank you!
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Nooooo!!!!! x2!!!!

Game crashes when i get to a certain point. Running in Google chrome.

Got a high score as well :'(

14692! and i was going strong.

aarrggh2.jpg
  • St4lis
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    Nooooo!!!!! x2!!!!

Game crashes when i get to a certain point. Running in Google chrome.

Got a high score as well :'(

14692! and i was going strong.

That's a shame. Do you have any idea of why it might have crash? Did you get an error message? Is it reproducable?