Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] [UE4] Ship Docks

Hey everyone, this is my first post, so I really appreciate any critiques and/or tips etc.

This is a Level Design Project I am currently working on.
I intend this to be in my portfolio, so I am trying to put as much work as I can, showcasing my skills with the new Unreal Engine.

My inspiration for this piece came from the Assassins Creed series, in particular, Black Flag, as they have many cool islands to explore with different docks that you keep your boat at while you go onto the land.

So my piece is mainly focusing on the docks in the water where there will be cool effects going on around to bring the camera shot together nicely.

Any help, again, is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Replies

• Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
  • domonickb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my project at its current state, I have modeled all assets except the large rocks and the characters(just in for sizing).

Please let me know what you think and any ideas on what you think would look cool.

Thanks!

ScreenShot_ShipDocks.jpg
  • domonickb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry just got one up, tell me what you think!
  • domonickb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got finished doing this.

After modeling and unwrapping I finally got to finishing the texture on the support beams for my docks/piers.

ScreenShot_02_SupportBeamFullTexture.jpg

SupportBeamTexture.jpg

Heres the what the diffuse looked like, and I am still needing a lot of practice with texturing so I really appreciate any critiques and help in the right direction!

I WANT TO BE AMAZING IN TEXTURING/MATERIALS so please help!

Thanks!
  • domonickb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some textures on the crates now too!

Let me know what you think!

and I am using materials, and not just a single texture

ScreenShot_03.jpg
  • domonickb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I will be working on making the actual Island itself to place into the scene.

I will be using World Machine, for the first time to pull this off. So we will see how this goes.
  • MooseCommander
    domonickb wrote: »
    SupportBeamTexture.jpg

Heres the what the diffuse looked like, and I am still needing a lot of practice with texturing so I really appreciate any critiques and help in the right direction!

I WANT TO BE AMAZING IN TEXTURING/MATERIALS so please help!

Thanks!

There's a lot of really obvious tiling in your wood. You should find additional reference so it isn't so repetitive. You want distinct, unique details but not enough so that it becomes obvious. Also, you could reuse your UV space better and separate these things out into separate texture sheets. For example, you could have a 128x512 tile for your rope, a 1024x1024 for tiling wood, etc. No reason to put them on the same texture sheet.
  • domonickb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a lot of really obvious tiling in your wood. You should find additional reference so it isn't so repetitive. You want distinct, unique details but not enough so that it becomes obvious. Also, you could reuse your UV space better and separate these things out into separate texture sheets. For example, you could have a 128x512 tile for your rope, a 1024x1024 for tiling wood, etc. No reason to put them on the same texture sheet.

The rope is apart of the wood pole/support object, in the picture its the cylindrical object. I understand if there multiple seperate objects they usually dont need to be on the same texture map unless space is an issue.

But your definitely right about the tiling thing being very noticeable, you cant see in the picture, but the map also has an alpha stored into the 32 bit tga. file itself, so in UE4 you can use it as a masking effect, the alpha I have stored is a seamless water damaged type texture that I plan to mask in areas across the wood, trying to cover up the Tiled look.

How do you usually tackle an obstacle like this?
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    Covering repetition is a nice thing.. but if you keep these 6 patches of the same wood texture completely the same you can basically use 1/6 of the texture space and tile it more often.. I'd try to improve the texture some more and add some general dirt and stuff already in. The same applies to the cap texture (sry don't know the right word for it). There is no unique detail(yet) that justifies placing it twice instead of reusing the same.
  • domonickb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Cay, I appreciate your input! Definitely going to try out what was suggested
  • domonickb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I added a particle effect for Rain. I want to give the scene a darker look and plan to make the skydome more of a night time shot.

Let me know what you guys think of the Rain, thanks!!

ScreenShot_Rain.jpg
  • domonickb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah now theres more of a permanent island terrain.

I used World Machine to make a terrain similar to what I envisioned. So I have been using the heightmap until I figure out what I am going to do for the final Island piece.
  • domonickb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Testing out the pier texture. No normals yet.Will be finishing that in morning

Any suggestions/tips/critiques??

ScreenShot_PierTextured.jpg
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    Pier texture looks decent for now... broken planks and such might help break up the regularity a bit. But flesh out the rest of the area some more before you get into detail. (I know.. starting with props is easier than designing an area)
  • domonickb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay wrote: »
    Pier texture looks decent for now... broken planks and such might help break up the regularity a bit. But flesh out the rest of the area some more before you get into detail. (I know.. starting with props is easier than designing an area)

Yeah your totally right Cay, I should be worrying about getting the rest of the objects in scene to complete the picture, before I start texturing everything.

Haha I guess I just try to complete each object with textures quickly, because this is an assignment where we have to focus on materials and presenting the skills weve acquired over the course of the quarter. Finals is on monday and I have a lot to get done.

But instead of focusing on texturing/materials today im going to focus on modeling out the rest on the environment .

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it
  • domonickb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another progress shot for where Im at for tonight. Started fixing and texturing the terrain/landscape, as well as finalizing pier material with normal maps and spec maps, also added in Epics Fire, for looks, plan to create my own.

ScreenShot_05.jpg
  • domonickb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I have been working on the Landscapes materials and also adding foliage.
    Also messing with different skydomes, and lighting.

Let me know what you guys think? especially on the lighting topic. Id really appreciate your guys imput, thanks!

Domonick

ScreenShot_ShipDocks_HiRes.jpg