Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly CHARACTER Challenge | September 2014 | Zilean / Chakram Assassin

Replies

• Orange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orange polycounter lvl 4
    alright latest update:
    He now has hands. On Hindsight, I should have separated the fingers a lot more when I first pulled them out, modeling the hands was a pain.

2014-09-07_1655.png

@pyrzern Yeah I'm going to rig the robe flaps and give them a small wind blowing animation.
  • Busterizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Busterizer polycounter lvl 5
    Here is my progress so far, I had real trouble modeling shoulders. I did them this way as I think they will work well enough for this model, and also the reference model that I was using for the 'proper' shoulder proved difficult to replicate in case of my model.

If someone can provide me with good guide or tutorial or workflow on how to do parts of the body so they can be properly rigged for a video game, please do (I know that my current approach works too, but is not really optimal).

I also reworked the thighs to look more anatomically correct but still close to the concept art.

screenshot2.jpg

@ guys that are wokring on zilean model
    I find your progress so far amazing, given its been like a week since challange started. That model is beyond my current modeling capabilities, so good job so far.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    @Busterizer

In my personal opinion its best to use muscles as a reference for modeling parts of a figure.

Its a lot easier to make the form look right when you do that.

I've been a lot more busy at work lately so progress is slow for me, i see no reason i won't be able to complete this in time though.

Should have something worth posting this week.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    @Shara I'm not sure about the his style either! At the moment, I simply lack experience sculpting a dude. let alone an old dude ! I have made changes to his nose though. As well as his nasal bone, cheekbones, forehead, jawlines, and a few others. Hope it looks better now.

@Holly Mellor At your current sculpting details, it shouldn't exceed 5mils active pts. I find it much easier to chop the character off into pieces/limbs.

@billymcguffin Thanks man ! I am trying to man him up :P

@Orange I think you can pull the top of his hair a bit higher. Judging from his forehead and his hair, it looks like he has very flattened cranium.

@Busterizer Usually I use this shoulder topology for lowpoly. Notice how the loop connects chest to bicep muscle.
    49d602ffe289634e7b780a1d6cc49af1.jpg

Progress on his face. I will retop his face next now so I will have more geo to sculpt on. Also blocked out more of the metal pieces. Will retop them soon as well. Still a bit feminine looking though... Almost looks like an aunt or something...
    6y2AHcR.jpg
  • Orange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orange polycounter lvl 4
    alright here's today's update:
    Added the ornament piece to his sleeve
    2014-09-08_0934.png

And the ornament piece to the robe. Was really hoping there was a way to project that detail onto the robe mesh inside of blender, but it's looking like there isn't :(
    So hindsight, I should have box modeled the piece and sculpted the detail. No worries, I can deal with this later when I retopo

2014-09-08_0936.png

Here's everything together:
    @pyrnzern I fixed the hair and raised it up. Good call.

2014-09-08_0941.png

and just for fun, I turned on blender's cycle renderer just to see what it looks like:
    2014-09-08_0947.png
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abidus polycounter lvl 10
    @PyrZern: I think the main issue is that the forms on the face are too soft (especially around the mouth, cheeks and brow) which makes him look somewhat androgynous. The male head has a lot more "bumps" and plane changes compared to the female (even more noticable on older subjects). Work on adding further definition to the planes of the face and you should notice him becoming more and more masculine.

Female:
    VvencAP.jpg

Male:
    planes_of_the_head_-_male_3d_model_obj_1841fa60-a307-4dbf-b6ec-8fd99a12b194.jpg

Plane+Head.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    O o' I have always thought that head plane image is for female... Is that one for male ?
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    (I wrote longer and more detailed post but i accidentaly deleted it when writing ;( )

Head planes are pretty much universal. Yeah there are change but mostly in proportions or roughness of form.

PyrZern you need to work on the forehead and brow ridge. Notice how many planes are defined on this picture. You just shoot straight up with your forehead.

Also from what I understood you are working on female version ??? If so I don't think those long geezer like brows will work. Maybe they will look ok but it doesn't really make sense for 'not that old female' to have those long brows.

4jBHZT.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm making the dude, male version #_#
    Sorry about the confusion. Really nice ref though. Thanks a lot! Gonna work more on those planes after I'm done with retoping the basemesh.
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kay-vonlanthen polycounter lvl 7
    MrOneTwo wrote: »
    (I wrote longer and more detailed post but i accidentaly deleted it when writing ;( )

Head planes are pretty much universal. Yeah there are change but mostly in proportions or roughness of form.

PyrZern you need to work on the forehead and brow ridge. Notice how many planes are defined on this picture. You just shoot straight up with your forehead.

Also from what I understood you are working on female version ??? If so I don't think those long geezer like brows will work. Maybe they will look ok but it doesn't really make sense for 'not that old female' to have those long brows

hi michal. just to let you know, your resume says this "... and I'm a self-taught computer graphic." sounds kinda wrong i think
  • Defunct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Defunct polycounter lvl 10
    Man I'm so slow. D:
    Faces are a pain in my ass
    tE4inzg.jpg
    QiRFvJA.jpg
    95gwVf3.jpg
  • Orange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orange polycounter lvl 4
    @defunct
    The base is looking pretty solid there.
    @pyrzern
    Another thing that may help with your face is putting puffy bags under his eyes. Gives him more of an aged look to it.
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    le download:ring_thing.obj

was boored, feel free to use :)

ring_1m8kqj.jpg
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abidus polycounter lvl 10
    PyrZern wrote: »
    O o' I have always thought that head plane image is for female... Is that one for male ?

Brainfart on my part. Edited the post to include the male version as well :poly122:
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    devingeesr polycounter lvl 13
    Hi all had a few hours to work on Zilian base then tried to make some cloth in marvelous designer but it keep crashing my computer. So this is what I have so far.
    zilian_01.jpgzilian_02.jpgzilian_03.jpg
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    O I know the upper body is messed up I had to make some changes and got lazy with the upper body lol
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    96aibc.jpg

update progress.

Can't work as much as i want to right now but this is only a start.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Defunct I think that's a solid basemesh there. Keep going man!

@devingeesr His shoulders appear kind of weird. Especially around where the Deltoid muscle connects to bicep/tricep.

@iadagraca Can't wait for more update from you man.

Further Update :) Thanks for all the help so far guys ^^

assani-duongsaa-zilean-010.jpg
    assani-duongsaa-zilean-009.jpg?1410246802
  • ClusterOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ClusterOne polycounter lvl 4
    Blockout bust of chakram assassin. Been juggling two other projects so I haven't been able to put as much time into this as I would like. Tried to go for a slightly more oriental facial structure, since I'm used to making more Caucasian features. Nothing is final at this point. Probably gonna turn this into a material study when (if ever) its complete.

ek5eF54.png
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern Thanks I for the input the face is a little rounder compared to the concept and the ornaments on the clothing appear a bit soft like the clothing. Nice progress!
    @ClusterOne nice start I like your take on it can't wait to see more.
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Busterizer wrote: »
    I am trying to avoid getting additional software, just to do renderings, that I already can do in 3ds max, so, what are my options for real time rendering in 3ds max?

Do Activeshade or Mental Ray renderings count as real-time? How you people can tell what was rendered in real-time? Blender and Maya have different renderers but neither of them specifies that they are real-time (which they are not).

well the short answer is no u cant. not really. if you want to present your model professionally, then marmoset is the way to go. although i totally agree with you on getting additional software. its necessary to learn new programs. you have to learn new things in this industry, its such a fast evolving one.
    you might wanna check out mayas ubershader. its an directX 11 realtime shader within viewport 2.0

cheers
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunn wrote: »
    A couple of things here. I f*%&*&5 hate eyes! I can't get the size right when I'm placeing spheres, I can't get the eyeliids and shapes right. I can't get my clay to work and fold where I want it... I could use a boatload of tips here guys.

This is a modest amount of work done so far, but I haven't had a day of for 6 days now :(

Duty calls :P

You guys are rocking this challenge, I love to check this thread everyday and see the awesome progress, it really pushes me to want to work harder/more. Thanks!

How to do eyes WITH eyelids in Zbrush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA4QziHEk8E
  • Fefs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    OMG you all worked hard this weekend O.o....I just started again today, I prepared the uv and now I'm going to zbrush to do what almost everyone already done.

jghbhd.jpg

@PyrZern love the outfit O.o the details are so strong!

@ClusterOne Your bust is very good, I want to see how it is going to end.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Busterizer: http://viewportshader.com/download/

Realtime viewport shader for 3DSmax

Jeez why couldn't i find something like this before!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick Rant: That sharp angular shirt thingy is so hard to make it look right !!
    *back to Zbrush*
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca wrote: »
    Jeez why couldn't i find something like this before!

My suspicion is that most of the older guys and gals here who WERE using it to do professional renderings moved onto Marmoset, Keyshot, or the existing game engines. The shader was awesome during it's time, but competition brewed up as the years went on.
  • Orange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orange polycounter lvl 4
    Alright today's progress:

Didn't get to finish all the ornaments and the belt. Never the less, I have to move on to the retopo stage, or I don't think I'm going to get him in engine on time.

Hoping to have him retopoed and unwrapped by saturday the latest, so I can start texturing.
    2014-09-09_2013.png
  • Diruengurei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone !
    Lots of cool stuff in here !
    Here's a wip of my take on the chakram assassin.
    I'll go for the high resolution model.
    I'd like to give her a sharper look , and maybe something like warpaints or scars on her mouth, using the fact that it is hidden on the concept, to make her look more "evil" :p
    Is it ok if I do something like that ?
    I think I'll do the clothing with marvelous designer , and placing the scales on her right arm in cinema 4d with a cloner, to anim them with physics.

trzf5r2.png
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixenfeu wrote: »
    Even for someone experienced, if you work fulltime or do this just as a side project, 1 month is a really short timeframe. I agree there should be a bit more variety of options . Exemple : A bust, a complete simple character, a more complexe character.

if we be honest, even if you dont do those characters voted you can to whatever yu want :) the idea is to practice and share your progress via the thread and get constructive feedback. all love man :)
    (i probably start doing personal things)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Diruengurei Yeah, it's totally fine to make some artistic improvement on the piece. :)
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update:
    zilian_04.jpg
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The ornaments on the bottom are too big I need to make them smaller. I had made the beard mesh but deleted I want to try and use fiber mesh but I'm not sure how to transfer that information to low poly strips for the game mesh any suggestions?
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trzf5r2.png

hi :) i like the progress. chestplate looks great. keep it up
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Diruengurei yes nice progress indeed!
  • devingeesr
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @devingeesr Thanks man. That will come in handy real soon.

Here's small update. I blocked out the shoulder pieces and the belt thing. Next I'm gonna retop and hardsurface them so they would look sharper and use less tris. I also made his shirt, which I hate how it looks... :(
    eDid4yY.jpg
  • Orange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orange polycounter lvl 4
    I started to retopo the face and the hair:

How's my edge flow?
    2014-09-10_1909.png
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the topology looks fine there. Good luck with his ears :)
  • Sunn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunn polycounter lvl 4
    you guys are rocking this! I have hit a snag, I can't get motivated to do my work. I want to but everytime I fire up zbrush, I'm starting at my sculpt so far and I just get... meh about the whole thing :(
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's why we are doing this :P Getting fired up from other ppl really motivates me.

I also find it better to set up small goals to reach. every few days. Like...
    Step 1. Block out overall shape and form
    Step 2. Block out props and pieces
    Step 3. Make nice proportioned head and block in basic anatomy
    Step 4. Aim for likeliness and readability
    Step 5. Details cloths and hair etc etc.

Getting in on the Hangout also helps me greatly. It's fine to use the main Polycount one as well. It's usually more active there :(
  • Byren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Byren polycounter lvl 8
    This thread is a great idea!

I've decided to go for the super long legged Chakram Assasin and I'll be aiming for the high poly version.

Was able to get a few hours in today to block out the body and spend a little time on the face... though with some more work I hope to get the likeness looking a little more like the concept.

38puJ1W.jpg
  • Fefs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    Hey Guys! I'm little slow, because I'm trying to figure out how to configure the xnormal to do a good bake (google my fav teacher XD), and learn right how to do all the textures...here are the normal+occlusion

But now I think I done this right, I just done that part to test and apply to the low mesh. What do you think? Now I will test the color map (painted in zbrush) and try to do a Specular map, that one I never done before...That's all I need or do you going to use more?

nmhqmv.jpg
  • VictoRubi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern Guy i really like your sculpt ;waiting for the paint :D
  • Orange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orange polycounter lvl 4
    @sunn From my pov, opening zbrush is already a step in the right direction. When it comes to challenges and discipline, you gotta focus on the small victories.
    -opening your program
    -making a single brush stroke
    -saving your work, even if you only put down a single brush stroke
    -celebrating what you have done

Make it a habit to put down 1 brush stroke a day, even imagine a brush stroke(I'm not even exaggerating), whatever is the most minimal thing you can do. Just keep enforcing the habit of doing something because a little can still go a long way.

On a side note(this is more related to the earlier discussion), In my own opinion, these monthly challenges seem to intimidate people, probably because they feel the pressure to succeed. So people end up treating the challenge like a mission that they can fail, when they should be treating the challenge as training.

And the most important part of this particular training, is developing art as a habit. We're all trying shave off that 10,000 hours and it is a lot easier to get there when you have the habit of committing a little bit of time each day.

@sunn I don't mean to sound like I'm targeting you, and if it's coming across that way, that is completely not my intention at all. There were earlier posts about extending the time limit of the monthly challenges, or picking different styles to make things easier, which are all good suggestions when it comes to getting more people involved, which is always a good thing. I do want to make sure people aren't over stressing themselves about the finish state of the models and that it's also important to focus on shaving off those 10,000 hours of skill development.
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs wrote: »
    Hey Guys! I'm little slow, because I'm trying to figure out how to......

if you have questions with baking normal maps or uv's i can probably help ya :) u could also email me at kintaro.takanori@gmail.com
  • Sunn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunn polycounter lvl 4
    @orange, no offense taken my friend I apprecoate every5hing you had to say. And I admire your approach.

So thank you guys (orange, pyrzern) I will push forward!

Byren, your assassin is looking fantastic man!
  • Orange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orange polycounter lvl 4
    XD I facepalmed so hard 5 minutes ago.

Just discovered that blender has matcaps. That would've been really useful when I was sculpting
    2014-09-11_2015.png

Anyhow, here's where I'm at on the retopo:
    2014-09-11_2021.png
  • Fefs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    @kay-vonlanthen - Oh...I passed the day searching for that, and just saw you now, but if I have more questions I will ask you for sure (probably will)....but Thanks!

@Sunn I`m with Orange, and Pyrzern - if you don`t have the strength/ will, to start you never going to do nothing....You don't need to start with the most hard thing, you just have to start with things that interest you first and progressing to understand more. Just make it work!

@Byren She will have fluffy ears? XD I liked the idea!

I think, i learned to do the basics for the textures (right finally *_*), now that worked and I'm going to progress to the rest of model that way...take a look, what do you think about the colors? Too shine? too yellow?

28t9yjp.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Byren She looks nice there ! Somehow though I feel like her mouth should be a tad closer to her nose.

@Orange Solid progress man! Nice lowpoly you have.

@Fefs Dang, that looks pretty good there. I only hope mine will come out nice like that too.

ROFL, then all 3 of us post within minutes apart!!

And here's my progress. This dude has so many small details #_# I'm not gonna retop/hardsurface all of them. They are so small I doubt it would look much different after the baking.
    f3zg6fH.jpg